Claudine, completely offtopic aftertalk..

  • Royi Eltink
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      Only days later, after I had read the last chapter of Claudine, I was
      going through my library a bit, in search for something.. When suddenly
      I coincedently stumbled upon the following story wich had actually
      nothing to do with it all, but I wanted to share with you.

      Poorly summarized, poorly translated:

      In the year 1865, an 71 year old retired army doctor, named Dr. James
      Barry died in London. During his long years of service it has taken him
      to West-Indies, South-Africa and India and became a quite popular and
      skillful officer. Because of his remarkably handsome appearance, he
      gained the reputation of being a skirt-chaser in his younger years, wich
      even, or so the rumor goes, lead to a duel with an fellow officer
      regarding a woman.
      It was only after his death that the shocking truth about Dr. Barry was
      revealed, to put it blunt: he appeared to be a she. Post-mortem
      examination even revealed that Dr. Barry gave birth to a child in her youth.
      Until today the true identity of Dr. Barry remains a mistery. In 1808,
      on the age of 16, she subscribed as an medical student to the University
      of Edinburgh, named James Barry. Even during the university days noone
      even carried the slight suspect of her being a girl.
      One of the more plausible explanations of it all might be that she chose
      to live the life at the male half of the world, after an dissapointing
      experience in love.
      What happened with her child remains a secret she took along with her in
      her grave. And because there was nothing known about her, her tombstone
      carried the inscription: Dr. James Barry.

      - Uncle Ro'