"Saving Face" Review

    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2005
      Last night 7 intrepid friends and staff of Yuricon went to the NYC
      premier of "Saving Face," a "romantic comedy" about Chinese-Americans,
      lesbians and mothers and daughters.

      It was excellent. For one thing – it was actually funny. That makes it
      the only romantic comedy I've ever watched that I laughed at.

      Secondly, it was very well acted. I genuinely think Joan Chen and
      Michelle Kusiec are way better looking in real life than on the
      screen, and Joan, particularly looked radiant on screen. (But Michelle
      was adorable at the party. I would have liked to had a chance to
      actually talk to her, but you know how it is - she's moving around
      thanking everyone...

      The writer/director, Alice Wu was adorable. She spent the night
      importuning people to tell their friends and get them to go to the
      first weekend openings, because this weekend's box office takes will
      influence how heavily Sony markets the movie. So, here I am, telling
      all the folks in the NYC and LA areas to go see this movie! It's
      funny, it's well done, the girl gets the girl and...did I mention it's
      funny? :-)

      Thanks to Hyo, Stacy, Kelli, Mari and Jen for joining my wife and
      myself at the premier and party!

      Once again, May 27th, this Friday, opening places:

      NEW YORK: the ANGELIKA (in Soho) and the AMC 25 (on 42nd Street)

      LOS ANGELES: the SUNSET LAEMMLE 5, the WESTSIDE PAVILION, PLAYHOUSE
      (Pasadena), TOWN CENTER (Encino), and the SOUTH COAST VILLAGE (Costa
      Mesa)

      And

      SF BAY AREA: opens the weekend of JUNE 3 at the Landmark EMBARCADERO,
      the UA STONESTOWN Twin, the Landmark SHATTUCK (Berkeley), PALO ALTO
      SQUARE, CENTURY 5 (Pleasant Hill), SANTANA ROW (San Jose) and MARIN/
      SAUSALITO.

    • Carmen DiProspero
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2005
        Were photos taken? I would love to see what Joan Chen
        looks like lately. I remember seeing her in a small
        film with Greta Scacchi (sic) called "Turtle Beach"
        released like 10-15 years ago.

        Carmen ^_^

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jen
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2005
          > Last night 7 intrepid friends and staff of Yuricon went to the NYC
          > premier of "Saving Face,"

          It doesn't count as *real* yuri because they're robots.

          (Sorry. Bad joke. Moving on.)

          Kisses XXOOXX
          Jen
        • Jeyl
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2005

            > It doesn't count as *real* yuri because they're robots.

            Doh. But what about "Passing" by Shannon J. Luchies, with art work by
            Kristina K?

            Oh, thank you Erica for bringing up that Air Master DVD issue. When I
            find those daggets who were responsible, the high court of mustafar
            will sentance them to torture!
            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jeyl <theo@v...> wrote:

              > > It doesn't count as *real* yuri because they're robots.
              > >

              > Doh. But what about "Passing" by Shannon J. Luchies, with art work by
              > Kristina K?

              Jen was just being silly - feel free to ignore her. And "Passing" is
              definitely worth reading if yu like lesbian robot stories! Available
              in the Yuri Monogatari 2 collection on the Yuricon Shop, plug, plug.
              http://www.yuricon.org/shop/manga.html

              > Oh, thank you Erica for bringing up that Air Master DVD issue. When I
              > find those daggets who were responsible, the high court of mustafar
              > will sentance them to torture!

              A pleasure. I was very happy to notice that at least the
              close-captioning issue seems to have been resolved. It wasn't the
              worst thing ever, but it was a little silly.

              What bothered me more was the misspelling of "shumai" as "siu-may". At
              that point I really felt like I was watching a HK rip, rather than a
              licensed sub.

            • Shannon J. L.
              Message 6 of 9 , May 25, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...>
                wrote:
                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jeyl <theo@v...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > It doesn't count as *real* yuri because they're robots.
                > > >

                > > Doh. But what about "Passing" by Shannon J. Luchies, with art
                work by
                > > Kristina K?
                >
                > Jen was just being silly - feel free to ignore her. And "Passing"
                is
                > definitely worth reading if yu like lesbian robot stories!
                Available
                > in the Yuri Monogatari 2 collection on the Yuricon Shop, plug,
                plug.
                > http://www.yuricon.org/shop/manga.html

                Joins in with shameless plugging....

                ^__^

                I wonder how long it'll take for "Saving Face" to reach Canada?
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Shannon J. L." <shanejayell2000@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > I wonder how long it'll take for "Saving Face" to reach Canada?

                  Been. It played at the Toronto G/L/B/T Film Fest. Write Sony and ask.

                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 26, 2005

                    > Jen was just being silly - feel free to ignore her.

                    This is extremely good advice. History has shown that my jokes
                    require a 3 page minimum explanation. ^_^

                    On the subject, here's some handy hints for anyone who wishes to get
                    the most out of their Yuricon ML experience.

                    1. Our beloved Erica has oodles of cash. Mountains of money, and it
                    keeps piling up. Help our Erica spend it by telling her which yuri
                    manga she should buy. She will, and thank you for it.

                    2. In addition to loads of cash, Erica also has loads of free time,
                    and desperately needs new tasks to keep her hands and minds occupied.
                    If you find a particular manga you like, demand that Erica take the
                    time to scan and translate it for you. Scanlations are great fun, and
                    Erica will always reward you after it's done. Often with sugary treats.

                    3. It is important to remember that our esteemed founder has
                    particular requirements for scanlations. While she will gladly
                    scanlate anything for anyone, she is not very fond of violence. Try
                    to ensure the yurilicious cast don't use guns, swords, or any such
                    violent instruments. Also, no-one rides a motorbike without a helmet.
                    Good yuri is safe yuri.

                    4. Angst is all well and good, but Erica also likes some nice
                    bubblegum fluff stuff on occasion. Erica will always scanlate with
                    great speed and quality if the cast are young, cute, a lil' ditzy, and
                    prone to grabbing each other's bouncy boobs from behind, inducing an
                    always entertaining "KYA!" Erica loves kyanime. Oh yeah, and maid
                    uniforms. No glasses, though. Glasses are a disability, and she
                    hates people drawing attention to them.

                    5. There is such a thing as yuri overload, and this has left Erica
                    with a yearning for a nice male protagonist in her yuri stories. So,
                    if you know of an anime which stars a young man, but also features
                    cute perky girls who are into booby-grabbin' (in maid's uniform), buy
                    her the DVD Box set. You will have fansubs by the end of the week.

                    6. Always concerned for her public image, Erica is deathly afraid to
                    be seen to be "selling out." The Yuricon shop weighs heavily upon
                    her, so rather than buy anything and add to her ethical dilemma,
                    download everything instead and share it via BitTorrent. You're
                    sharing yuri goodness with the world, and helping Erica "keep it real."

                    7. If you really want to score points, don't forget that Erica is the
                    original anime fangrrl. Call her Erica-chan, and refer to every
                    single anime character as XXXX-chan. If you ever type someone's name,
                    add the -chan. Include your own.

                    Next week's handy tips: How to add loli to your yuri fanfics, ensuring
                    an extra 10,000 readers.

                    ^_^

                    Kisses XXOOXX
                    Jen
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 26, 2005
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                      > This is extremely good advice. History has shown that my jokes
                      > require a 3 page minimum explanation. ^_^

                      Plan on being anywhere where I can slap you upside the head for this
                      one this summer? LOL