[OT] Saving Face - live action Asian American lesbian movie

  • stynium
    Message 1 of 13 , May 5, 2005
      I suspect this will interest a lot of people on this list. Saving
      Face, the very first Asian American lesbian romantic comedy, will be
      released in theaters in the US on May 27.
      Starring Michelle Krusiec, Joan Chen and Lynn Chen (uh, who
      coincidentally looks exactly like my dream gf) the storyline is about
      Krusiec finally finding a girlfriend, and trying to come out to her
      mum about her, while her mum harbours a big secret of her own.

      The website and trailer:
      www.sonyclassics.com/savingface/

      Just watch the trailer. It will answer all your questions ^_^

      Yes! My prayers of seeing an Asian lesbian romantic comedy is finally
      answered! (plans to drag all my friends along)...
    • Ashley
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2005
        stynium wrote:

        > I suspect this will interest a lot of people on this list. Saving
        > Face, the very first Asian American lesbian romantic comedy, will be
        > released in theaters in the US on May 27.
        > Starring Michelle Krusiec, Joan Chen and Lynn Chen (uh, who
        > coincidentally looks exactly like my dream gf) the storyline is about
        > Krusiec finally finding a girlfriend, and trying to come out to her
        > mum about her, while her mum harbours a big secret of her own.
        >
        > The website and trailer:
        > www.sonyclassics.com/savingface/
        >
        > Just watch the trailer. It will answer all your questions ^_^
        >
        > Yes! My prayers of seeing an Asian lesbian romantic comedy is finally
        > answered! (plans to drag all my friends along)...

        eeeee! I want to see that! It sounds really good, and its cute too! ^^ I
        can just see the reaction by certain american elements to this movie...
        >_> But anyway, thanks for sharing!

        --Ashley
        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2005
          >From: "stynium" <stynium@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Yuricon] [OT] Saving Face - live action Asian American lesbian
          >movie
          >Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 04:52:09 -0000
          >
          >I suspect this will interest a lot of people on this list. Saving
          >Face, the very first Asian American lesbian romantic comedy, will be
          >released in theaters in the US on May 27.

          Very cool - thanks for the heads up!

          Maybe we can get together some field trips to various showings. Let me try
          and find out where and when it'll be playing. :-)

        • froggie
          Message 4 of 13 , May 6, 2005
            Field Trips? Sounds fun....too bad it wont be anywhere in the LA area huh?

            Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

            Maybe we can get together some field trips to various showings. Let me try
            and find out where and when it'll be playing. :-)

            Yahoo! Mail Mobile

            Message 5 of 13 , May 6, 2005
              >From: froggie <recycledmind@...>
              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: RE: [Yuricon] [OT] Saving Face - live action Asian American
              >lesbian movie
              >Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 14:32:18 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >Field Trips? Sounds fun....too bad it wont be anywhere in the LA area huh?

              You can set one up in your area.

              Why do you folks keep waiting for ME to do stuff? You have hands and feet
              and mouths - do your oen yuri panels, and run your own events, dammit! Now
              you can't even manage to go to the movies without me to hold your hands?
              Geez.... lol

            • Regina Buenaobra
              Message 6 of 13 , May 6, 2005
                On 5/6/05, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                > >Field Trips? Sounds fun....too bad it wont be anywhere in the LA area huh?
                >
                > You can set one up in your area.
                >
                > Why do you folks keep waiting for ME to do stuff? You have hands and feet
                > and mouths - do your oen yuri panels, and run your own events, dammit! Now
                > you can't even manage to go to the movies without me to hold your hands?
                > Geez.... lol

                Maybe that's their plan, with the hand-holding. :-O

                I wish they had a list of cinemas where this would be showing. I've
                looked around, and no dice. I even went to some of my local indie
                cinemas' websites, and nothing yet. I'll keep my eyes open, though,
                cos it looks like a promising movie.

                Regina
              • stynium
                Message 7 of 13 , May 7, 2005
                  I'm guessing the distributors are negotiating with cinemas right now.

                  So far, I can only find one cinema - Landmark Theaters is going to
                  release it in Houston River Oaks Theater:
                  http://www.landmarktheaters.com/Films/films_frameset.asp?id=39542

                  So Houston folks, you're lucky!

                  Knowing Landmark Theaters, they'll very likely release it in the Bay
                  Area and San Francisco as well(where they are very gay friendly),
                  and probably in the rest of the States? So those with Landmark
                  Theaters nearby can watch out!

                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Regina Buenaobra <sr388x@g...> wrote:

                  > Maybe that's their plan, with the hand-holding. :-O
                  >
                  > I wish they had a list of cinemas where this would be showing. I've
                  > looked around, and no dice. I even went to some of my local indie
                  > cinemas' websites, and nothing yet. I'll keep my eyes open, though,
                  > cos it looks like a promising movie.
                  >
                  > Regina
                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2005
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:
                    > Why do you folks keep waiting for ME to do stuff? You have hands and
                    feet and mouths - do your oen yuri panels, and run your own events,
                    dammit! Now > you can't even manage to go to the movies without me to
                    hold your hands? Geez.... lol

                    Now that you've realised you're the Popular One, when are you getting
                    the gaggle of schooly fangrrls who fight to smear suntan lotion on
                    your back n' stuff?

                    Kisses XXOOXX
                    Jen
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2005
                      >From: "Jen" <puni@...>
                      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: [OT] Saving Face - live action Asian American
                      >lesbian movie
                      >Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 07:34:44 -0000
                      >
                      >Now that you've realised you're the Popular One, when are you getting
                      >the gaggle of schooly fangrrls who fight to smear suntan lotion on
                      >your back n' stuff?

                      Got those. Duh.

                      :-)

                    • froggie
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 9, 2005
                        Because you're doing such a fine job! :)

                        I dunno if my friends and I will be holding hands for this but, Saving Face is scheduled for an advance screening at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood on May 11 at 7:30pm.  It's unconfirmed but, a discussion with the director, Alice Wu, may take place after the screening.

                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:
                        > Why do you folks keep waiting for ME to do stuff? You have hands and
                        feet and mouths - do your oen yuri panels, and run your own events,
                        dammit! Now > you can't even manage to go to the movies without me to
                        hold your hands? Geez.... lol

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 9, 2005
                          >From: froggie <recycledmind@...>
                          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: [OT] Saving Face - live action Asian American
                          >lesbian movie
                          >Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:13:42 -0700 (PDT)
                          >
                          >Because you're doing such a fine job! :)

                          Pfft.

                          >I dunno if my friends and I will be holding hands for this but, Saving Face
                          >is scheduled for an advance screening at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood
                          >on May 11 at 7:30pm. It's unconfirmed but, a discussion with the director,
                          >Alice Wu, may take place after the screening.

                          According to the Angelika Theater's (Houston St., NYC ) website, this movie
                          is "Coming Soon" . As soon as there's showing times listed, we can pick one.

                          If anyone is willing to set up a "field trip" in their area for this movie,
                          let me know and I'll post it to the YC events page!

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 10, 2005
                            >From: froggie <recycledmind@...>
                            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: [OT] Saving Face - live action Asian American
                            >lesbian movie
                            >Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:13:42 -0700 (PDT)
                            >

                            >I dunno if my friends and I will be holding hands for this but, Saving Face
                            >is scheduled for an advance screening at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood
                            >on May 11 at 7:30pm. It's unconfirmed but, a discussion with the director,
                            >Alice Wu, may take place after the screening.

                            More unofficial info: Looks like this movie is going to premiere in NYC and
                            LA on May 27.

                            I'm going to try and contact the Publicity company for more details.

                          • jason
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 10, 2005
                              i know this sounds dumb but what is this movie all about if someone
                              cares to let those who satered in late to the board...
                              sorry about that.

                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, froggie <recycledmind@y...> wrote:
                              > Because you're doing such a fine job! :)
                              >
                              > I dunno if my friends and I will be holding hands for this but,
                              Saving Face is scheduled for an advance screening at the Egyptian
                              Theater in Hollywood on May 11 at 7:30pm. It's unconfirmed but, a
                              discussion with the director, Alice Wu, may take place after the
                              screening.

                              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
                              wrote:
                              > > Why do you folks keep waiting for ME to do stuff? You have hands
                              and
                              > feet and mouths - do your oen yuri panels, and run your own events,
                              > dammit! Now > you can't even manage to go to the movies without me
                              > hold your hands? Geez.... lol

                              > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn
                              more.