This season's yuri service - one thumbs up and one thumbs downdown

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
      Hi all -

      Not much in the way of decent yuri on the airwaves this spring, but
      there's some anime that use yuri as basic "service".

      Firstly, the thumbs down.

      "He Is My Master" is the emotional equivalent of violence against
      women. After three episodes I'm done. It's disgusting. There is NO
      amount of yuri that will make me ever watch another episode of this
      sexual harassment "comedy." In fact, I amlost want to use it as a
      benchmark anime. If you are a person who thinks this series is "funny"
      or "cute" I will likely think you are a "creep."

      The anime tells the story of two sisters who are currently homeless
      and jobless. They manage to find a gigantic mansion that has one
      perfectly normal sexually repressed teenage male who offers them jobs
      as maids. It might all even be semi-amusing, if the addition of an
      oversexed, underdrawn alligator didn't make my skin crawl.

      So, basically, every epsiode consists of peeping, sexual harrassment
      by the guy, some genuinely nasty scenes with the alligator trying to
      rip the girl's clothes off, with filler of general verbal harrassment,
      fetishism, pedophilia and violence.

      This story is not cute or funny. It's grotesque. No women who has ever
      been on the receiving end of any kind of sexual harrassment would find
      this anime anything other than enraging.

      Now for the thumbs up:

      Gokujou Seitokai

      This is a super-ridiculous farce about a poor orphan Rino, who,
      through utterly absurd cirmcumstances ends up as part of the super-
      high, super-powerful Student Council at a super-elite girls' private
      school.

      I'm not the biggest fan of farce, and the Rube Goldberg disasters that
      accompany Rino were a tad tiresome, but somewhere in the middle of
      episode three the fact that the school has a Paparazzi Club just
      cracked me up and I lightened up. :-)

      Rino has a puppet who clearly does all her thinking, so if "funny"
      schizophrenia doesn't appeal, you might want to give this a pass, but
      you will be missing some wonderful characters who are not Rino.

      The President, Kanaede, is too perfect and wonderful - and the yuri
      service will likely be all hers for a while. The whole third episode
      is given over to rumors of something going on between Kanaede and
      Rino.

      Any yuri will always be played for laughs and I doubt that we'll get
      any real pairings, but the akogare/desire will be real and cute....and
      I bet that somewhere out there, someone is already writing a slashfic
      between Kanaede and her VP Nanaho. Or, at least, one hopes. :-)

      Nanaho and Kuon, the VPs of the Assault and Covert divisions,
      respectively, are great, as are various other members of the Gokujou
      Seitokai, so I guess I'll stick with this one for a while longer and
      see how it pans out - with luck after we run through all the girls who
      are in love with Kanede, we'll move on to the girls who are in love
      with Nanho, then Kuon, then Sayuri, etc....

      ***

      It's a pretty light season for yuri, most of what I am watching is
      utterly non-yuri, but Ichigo Mashimaro, the epitome of moe yuri, is on
      the way this summer, so that's something to look forward to, I guess.
      :-)

      who STILL wants a good yuri series about adult women who look like
      adult women...sigh
    • Jen
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
        > Hi all -
        >
        > "an oversexed, underdrawn alligator..."

        As opposed to an overyellow, camera-hogging "hawk."

        *_*

        Kisses XXOOXX
        Jen
      • shirobara12
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005

          > Hi all -
          >
          > Now for the thumbs up:
          >
          > Gokujou Seitokai
          >
          > This is a super-ridiculous farce about a poor orphan Rino, who,
          > through utterly absurd cirmcumstances ends up as part of the super-
          > high, super-powerful Student Council at a super-elite girls' private
          > school.

          It was about time that someone wrote about this here. ^^ I was
          starting to think I'd have to do it myself...

          (And there's nothing absurd to the circumstances, it was all
          Kanade's master plan, so there! ^^)

          White Rose
        • koyotememories
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
            > Hi all -
            >
            > Not much in the way of decent yuri on the airwaves this spring, but
            > there's some anime that use yuri as basic "service".
            >
            > Firstly, the thumbs down.
            >
            > "He Is My Master" is the emotional equivalent of violence against
            > women. After three episodes I'm done. It's disgusting. There is NO
            > amount of yuri that will make me ever watch another episode of this

            well, sadly I agree, the anime seems to steer towards "this" type
            fanservice and at this point they havent yet introduced the character
            Anna yet.

            The whole idea of the series seem to be the be a sort of satire
            for "over the top" hentai characters.
            The manga seem to show the satire part alot better than the anime.
            They even made the point clear in their writer page, that this is
            not a harem, love type that it seems to be.
            As for the overt sexual harrasments, again the manga is better at
            showing the satire part better. And as the chapters progress, they
            make it more apparent that Anna gets more attention from Izumi
            although she basically gets the same treatment as the male "lead".
            I guess they just like to see Izumi get harrassed;;, but on the
            bright side, Anna seems to always be the winner at getting more of
            Izumi, even against the male lead. But I understand your feelings,
            although interesting, sexual harrasment is never good, evem of its
            from another female, Its just a cheap excuse from a real relationship.

            I guess japanese fans both male/female like this series because they
            see the "interaction" between Anna and Izumi as less
            threatening :shrug:.

            the moral of this story? anime bad, manga good

            bbi~
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2005
              >From: "shirobara12" <shirobara12@...>
              >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Yuricon] Re: This season's yuri service - one thumbs up and one
              >thumbs downdown
              >Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 02:45:12 -0000
              >
              >--- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all -
              > >

              > > Gokujou Seitokai
              > >
              > > This is a super-ridiculous farce about a poor orphan Rino, who,
              > > through utterly absurd cirmcumstances ends up as part of the super-
              > > high, super-powerful Student Council at a super-elite girls' private
              > > school.
              >
              >It was about time that someone wrote about this here. ^^ I was
              >starting to think I'd have to do it myself...

              I wish you would. I'm increasingly busy these days, so other folks chiming
              in is always a good thing!

              >(And there's nothing absurd to the circumstances, it was all
              >Kanade's master plan, so there! ^^)

              Okay, I'd actually go with that. She's the mysterious Mr, Poppit? :-)

              Seriously,

              SPOILER

              SPACE

              It's not like Kanaede makes any secret, to us anyway, privy as we are to her
              mumblings, about being a guardian figure to Rino.

              So it does make alot of sense if she really is the "Mr. Poppit" - a name
              taken from her knoweldge of Rino's attachment to Pu-chan, maybe?

              In any case, I still hope for Nanaho x Kanaede fanfic, liking competent
              women as I do. :-)

            • stynium
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2005

                > who STILL wants a good yuri series about adult women who look like
                > adult women...sigh

                Where I come from, there's a saying about this: "Wait long long."

                Which basically means that if you want an anime series with adult
                women who look like adult women...it's not gonna happen ^_^ , as long
                as anime writers are still writing for teenage boy and girl and middle
                aged otaku male fantasies.

                Bern (who still loves yuri anime but who now really, really
                appreciates the L Word)
              • mellowrg
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2005
                  > Seriously,
                  >

                  > SPOILER
                  >

                  > SPACE
                  >

                  > It's not like Kanaede makes any secret, to us anyway, privy as we
                  are to her
                  > mumblings, about being a guardian figure to Rino.
                  >
                  > So it does make alot of sense if she really is the "Mr. Poppit" - a
                  name
                  > taken from her knoweldge of Rino's attachment to Pu-chan, maybe?
                  >
                  > In any case, I still hope for Nanaho x Kanaede fanfic, liking competent
                  > women as I do. :-)

                  I think Mr. Poppit is just a figment of crazy Rino's imagination.
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2005
                    >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
                    >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Gokujo Seitokai (mild spoilers) RE: [Yuricon] Re: This season's
                    >yuri service
                    >Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 08:00:16 -0000
                    >

                    > > Seriously,
                    > >

                    > > SPOILER
                    > >

                    > > SPACE
                    > >

                    > > It's not like Kanaede makes any secret, to us anyway, privy as we
                    >are to her
                    > > mumblings, about being a guardian figure to Rino.
                    > >
                    > > So it does make alot of sense if she really is the "Mr. Poppit" - a
                    >name
                    > > taken from her knoweldge of Rino's attachment to Pu-chan, maybe?
                    > >
                    > > In any case, I still hope for Nanaho x Kanaede fanfic, liking competent
                    > > women as I do. :-)
                    > >

                    > > Cheers,
                    > >
                    > > Erica
                    >

                    >I think Mr. Poppit is just a figment of crazy Rino's imagination.

                    I thought so too, initially. But while Pu-chan has a deeper understanding of
                    obvious things and a wealth of obscure facts that Rino can't access
                    otherwise, he doesn't seem to have any organizational skills...that is Rino
                    doesn't seem to possess those, even in the schizoid part of her brain.

                    It simply makes a lot more sense to me if Kanaede, who obviously has some
                    serious fondness for Rino's mother and therefore is determined to protect
                    and care for Rino, had arranged everything. She's quirky enough too have
                    chosen the name Mr. Poppet, since we know that Pu-chan and Rino's mom are
                    contemporary. :-)

                    The reason it makes more sense is that I simply cannot see Rino possessing
                    the organization to have applied to the school and arranged for transfer,
                    lodging, etc. But Kanede would have no difficulty getting Rino into the
                    school.

                    Anyway - this is beating a comedy well past breaking point. lol It hardly
                    matters.