Re: [Yuricon] JACON 2005 yuri panel

  • Erin Subramanian
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2005
      kylandra wrote:

      >Well, a friend and I ran the yuri panel at JACON last weekend, and I
      >thought I'd post a bit of follow-up here if anybody's curious.

      Glad to hear your panel went well, and thanks for plugging our
      (Lililicious's) work. :)

      <snip>

      >Oh, I wanted to talk about yuri doujinshi more at the next panel,
      >since there are so many shows that have yuri hints or that don't focus
      >on the girls and end up with doujinshi stuff. But I really haven't
      >had much luck buying yuri doujinshi (I've mostly found futa stuff) so
      >my collection's kind of--erm, scant is putting it nicely, heh. If
      >anybody on here is a big yuri doujinshi shopper and can point out some
      >really good circles or something, especially if you can provide some
      >sample scans we can show to people, that will give them a better
      >overview of what's out there and help them find stuff, that would be
      >great.

      My main area of expertise is HarukaxMichiru Sailor Moon doujinshi, but I
      can recommend a couple favorite Marimite circles as well. :)
      A list of my favorite circles/doujinshika for Sailor Moon doujinshi:
      Akira Jinno of the circle Fuchsia (probably not too well-known, but did
      a story in "Lunatic Party 7")
      Hanako Obata and Hiyori Yamada (they did the "Tsugai" books and Obata,
      at least, did the "Tenkai" books)
      Hello World (they did the doujinshi "Platinum 78," which was scanlated
      by Lililicious, Selene Scans, and Starry Heaven; they've done doujinshi
      for other series, too, but I don't really know anything about those)
      Hokuto Minami (did a story in "Crystal Planet's Haruka and Michiru")
      Jesus Drug (Erica mentioned the other day that Hayashiya Shizuru is in
      this circle)
      Morinaga Miruku (only seen one HxM story by him/her, but you may
      recognize the name from his/her work in Yuri Shimai)
      Mikuni Shouko (she's probably most well known for "0306" and "0127," the
      first of which has been scanlated by Lililicious; I believe she's in the
      circle Kaijuu Yakkyouku)
      Minami Kazuka (of the circle Mecca; she did the pinup from "Crystal
      Planet's Haruka and Michiru" that everyone has probably seen, the one
      with the glassy eyes; I also found out last week that she does BL manga
      under the name Minami Haruka; also, her stories from "Crystal Planet's
      Haruka and Michiru" have recently been scanlated by Selene Scans and
      Starry Heaven, as has "Sky Fish, Sea Bird"; I'd like to scanlate her
      doujinshi "tsuki no shizuku" someday :-D)
      Nago K. (did the story "Raison d'Etre," which I've seen a random scan
      from floating around)
      Natsuru Aosaki (who did the "Love Chaser" series; her works from
      "Crystal Planet's Haruka and Michiru" have recently been scanlated by
      Selene Scans; part of the circle Teikoku Club)
      Renko Makise (she did "Cosmic Runaway," which I've seen scans of
      floating around all over; part of the circle Mirage House)
      Studio Canpus (Yamada Mario, my favorite doujinshika ever, is in this
      circle--he/she is the one who did "Lonely Tropical Fish," which
      Lililicious scanlated; I believe he/she also goes by the penname
      Wagamama Marion)
      Studio Pot-pourri (did "Narcisse Noir," which was scanlated by Starry
      Heaven)
      Tenoh Saya (most well-known for her story "Endless Love" in the "Crystal
      Planet's Haruka and Michiru" anthology)

      Other popular/well-known circles/doujinshika, who don't happen to be my
      particular favorites or whose work I'm not very familiar with:
      A-KI-RA (has done works in the "Lunatic Party" and "Colorful Moon"
      anthologies, including a story scanlated by Lililicious; I like his/her
      non-adult work, but his/her adult work is too loli for my tastes; may be
      part of the circle Sue=Cream=Sue but I'm not sure)
      Anatomic Angel (only ever seen covers of their works; they have a unique
      style)
      Anko (did smut in the "Colorful Moon 8" anthology and "Lunatic Party"
      anthologies; may be part of the circle Sue=Cream=Sue but I'm not sure)
      Bakedanuki (did smut in the "Lunatic Party" anthologies and the "Moon
      Angels R" anthology)
      Blue Lynx (I think their works only have mild yuri; Selene Scans has
      scanlated one of their works; they're probably most well-known for the
      "tsuki ni kakaru niji" series)
      Hiyori Yamada (known for the "Montage" series)
      Kiseki Museum (don't actually own any of their works, but their covers
      are beautiful)
      Mad Tea Party (probably best known for the story "Separate Blue")
      Matsuo Yuriko (did stories for the "Lunatic Party" anthologies)
      Miike Romuko (of RomuRomu Club; I've mainly seen his/her work in the
      "Lunatic Party" anthologies)
      Nekomeisi (they did the doujinshi "Silver Sand, Gold Star(s)," which
      Selene Scans will be scanlating in the near future)
      Neptunium (only ever seen covers of their work; they did "Moonsault
      Press" and "Moonsault Scramble")
      Osuteki Club (known for their "Osuteki Club" series)
      Step Turn (only ever seen covers of their works, but they're quite
      beautiful)
      Studio Dellforce (vaguely remember reading some bad smut by them...)
      Tamazo Tsuruhashi (known for the story "Violet Blue," did stories for
      the "Lunatic Party" anthologies)
      Tanaka Bisuko (does some nice comedy stuff)
      Tapioca Musume (very cutesy art style)
      Toomine Yukari (her work is pretty, but the style doesn't really appeal
      to me)
      Torio the Talisman

      I don't know whether or not they're easier to find, but I'd recommend
      getting an anthology if you want to see what the work of a few different
      doujinshika is like; I recommend "Crystal Planet's Haruka and Michiru,"
      "Crystal Planet's Haruka and Michiru 2," and "Colorful Moon 8" (the
      third has some hentai, but a lot of non-adult stuff as well).

      For Marimite, I like the circles/doujinshika:
      Amechan (they did the book "Premier;" they also do doujin for other
      fandoms such as "Fate/Stay Night")
      Bebe (known for the "Creole" series)
      Crazy Clover Club (did the book "Marimite Complex;" can't remember
      whether or not their stuff is yuri, but there's at least subtext)
      Hayase Hashiba (did "Cherry Blossom," which was scanlated by
      Lililicious; also did manga for "Yuri Shimai")
      UA (did the books "Eden," "Rosenkreuz," and "Parallel World")
      UGO (very well-known, does doujin for other series as well; can't
      remember whether or not their Marimite stuff is yuri or not; they've
      done "The Book of Maria-sama ga Miteru" series)

      I also recommend the "Gokigenyou II" anthology. I have a couple of the
      "Shimai Sengen" anthologies and don't care for them as much.

      I'd be happy to give you any sample scans you need; for some circles, I
      only have pictures of the covers because I don't own the books myself
      and haven't found inside scans, but that's better than nothing, at least. :)

      Phew, I think that's it.

      Erin
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2005
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kylandra <geekoriffic@g...> wrote:
        > Well, a friend and I ran the yuri panel at JACON last weekend, and I
        > thought I'd post a bit of follow-up here if anybody's curious.

        Of course! :-)

        > It went fairly well. We had a decent number of people there, even a
        > few girls, which was better than we expected given rather bad
        > scheduling (we were opposite the yaoi panel and another even, What
        > The?!, which is quite popular).

        I have learned that basically, unless you're the one scheduling, the
        timing of your panel will always be bad. :-)

        > We went over some basic stuff like what are yuri and shoujo ai and
        > okazu, etc. We also went through some of the popular series, like
        > Sailor Moon and MariMite and talked about those. We also went over
        > some of the more yuri-focused series and plugged Lililicious'
        > wonderful releases of some of these series. We also showed off the
        > Eriko Tadeno doujinshi and Yuri Monogatari that are in the Yuricon
        > shop. ;)

        Well cool beans! Thanks for the plugs. :-)

        > We're hoping to find some more stuff to go over, but there doesn't
        > seem to be a huge amount of stuff. Sadly.

        There is - it's mostly in Japanese. Unless I hit the lottery, or
        Malcom Forbes Jr takes an interest in yuri, it'll stay that way, too.
        I can only do so much by myself. lol

        > It seemed like the audience had fun, which is what we were hoping
        for.

        Excellent - that's 100% the right way to view it.

        > We might be doing another panel at AFO this year, so if anybody's in
        > the area, we hope to see you there!

        Let me know the date and time and i'll put it on the Events calendar.

        > Oh, I wanted to talk about yuri doujinshi more at the next panel,
        > since there are so many shows that have yuri hints or that don't
        focus
        > on the girls and end up with doujinshi stuff. But I really haven't
        > had much luck buying yuri doujinshi (I've mostly found futa stuff)
        so
        > my collection's kind of--erm, scant is putting it nicely, heh. If
        > anybody on here is a big yuri doujinshi shopper and can point out
        some
        > really good circles or something, especially if you can provide some
        > sample scans we can show to people, that will give them a better
        > overview of what's out there and help them find stuff, that would be
        > great.

        Erin gave you a good list. I find yuri doujinshi shopping impossible
        if you aren't able to actually look at the books, since the Japanese
        do not believe in "truth in advertising" and the cover rarely has
        anything to do with the contents.

        (Me stifles a rant about doujinshi artists who put great yuri on the
        covers that wrap decidely un-yuri doujinshi).

        I'm also really bad about circles, but here are a few I really like
        that do original all-yuri stuff:

        Sakuraike - http://sakuraike.staba.jp/
        Pasterage - http://www33.ocn.ne.jp/~pasterage/
        Office Mono - http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/ha/ik27202/academia/tadeno1.
        htm
        Girlish - no site
        Proto-type - http://proto-type.net/

        Also, let me recommend reading Touko_no_Doriru's comments on Okazu,
        about the "Small Call" site. He lists many good circles, with links
        and commentary. In fact *everyone* interested in yuri doujinshi should
        read these comments!:
        http://okazu.blogspot.com/2005/04/small-call-comiket-yuri-doujinshi.
        html

        Thanks for the write-up, and let me know when that AFO panel will be.
        :-)

      • kylandra
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
          > Well cool beans! Thanks for the plugs. :-)

          Hey, you deserve it. It's not easy to find yuri in English.

          > There is - it's mostly in Japanese. Unless I hit the lottery, or
          > Malcom Forbes Jr takes an interest in yuri, it'll stay that way, too.
          > I can only do so much by myself. lol

          Well, it's good to know that it's at least out there. I had gotten
          the impression that the stuff was few and far between, period.
          *starts hoping for that lottery win for you*

          > Let me know the date and time and i'll put it on the Events calendar.

          Sure thing!

          > Erin gave you a good list. I find yuri doujinshi shopping impossible
          > if you aren't able to actually look at the books, since the Japanese
          > do not believe in "truth in advertising" and the cover rarely has
          > anything to do with the contents.
          >
          > (Me stifles a rant about doujinshi artists who put great yuri on the
          > covers that wrap decidely un-yuri doujinshi).

          Oh god, don't I know it. I've been fooled by covers before.

          Thanks for the info, I'll check those out. And I'll let you know
          about the AFO panel.

          BTW, are you going to be in Florida again by chance? I missed you
          when you did the presentation in Tampa (?) last time, and I'd love to
          drop by if you're going to do it again.

          --
          Kylandra

          http://www.livejournal.com/users/kylandra
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
            >From: kylandra <geekoriffic@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: JACON 2005 yuri panel
            >Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:57:44 -0400
            >

            >BTW, are you going to be in Florida again by chance? I missed you
            >when you did the presentation in Tampa (?) last time, and I'd love to
            >drop by if you're going to do it again.

            At least once a year. My folks live in Tampa. :-) I'll let you know when the
            next trip gets scheduled.