Re: Notes on the fourth Marimite Novel, Part 1

  • duelist391
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005

      > Before I say anything else, I want to say this - the anime did such a
      > disservice to Sachiko. She is, without fail, THE most romantic
      > character I've come across in a years. She is always touching Yumi,
      > caressing her, snuggling her, and gnerally doing unbelievably
      romantic
      > things. (like the hair ribbon in the last book....)

      Thank you much for pointing out the differences between the novel and
      anime. I cannot read japanese and am so sad to be missing out on the
      novels which I assume has a deeper storyline. I have found very few
      english translations that cover a few chapters here and there to keep
      my interest in Maramite alive. For now, fanfictions will have to do for
      me.
    • Aimi Hayashi
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2005
        These notes are always a pleasure to read ~ Just want to say thanks (aswell) for posting them.

        AH

        atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

        Before I say anything else, I want to say this - the anime did such a
        disservice to Sachiko. She is, without fail, THE most romantic
        character I've come across in a years. She is always touching Yumi,
        caressing her, snuggling her, and gnerally doing unbelievably romantic
        things. (like the hair ribbon in the last book....)

        The anime failed to communicate that well - not because of any flaw in
        Saciko, but because we see it through Yumi's eyes and she feels so
        unworthy that she doesn't take note of it. She sees Sachiko's
        attention as being corrected, when it really means that sachiko simply
        cannot take her eyes off Yumi.

        Sachiko's only real fault is that she doesn't want to burden Yumi with
        her own worries...and of course, that's what blows up in their face in
        Rainy Blue...but I digress. In any case,I am now, officially, a
        Sachiko fan. :-)

        Notes on "Rosa Canina"

        Once again, little chande, with about three small scenes cut from the
        anime altogether. The elction arc takes about hlf the book, while the
        New Year's arc is the other half - so there wasn't as much detail lost
        in the translation to anime as I feared.

        1) The"Cast of Characters" is presented as snapshots by Tsutako.

        2) At the beginning of term ceremony, Yumi watches for Sachiko while
        waiting for all the older students to be seated. She's so obsessive
        that, as she drifts off into a nap, she dreams that she has "Sachiko-
        it is" and that Sei is a doctor who tells her that she'll have to take
        medicine after every meal.

        3) Shimako acts "uncharacteristically throughout the whole novel...
        which leads me to believe that Yumi doesn't really understand
        Shimako's character at all. (Shimako bursts into the Council room, she
        runs after the bus waving her arms and calling for it to stop, and
        later cries in Sei's arms.)

        4) And how is it that Yumi has never heard of the school elections or
        how they work?

        5) On the bus that afternoon, Sachiko asks Yumi to sit close and lean
        on her. They huddle for warmth and space.

        6) The reason Yumi thinks that Rosa Canina should be a black color, is
        that black is the traditional color for villains.

        7) Tsutako comments that Yumi has a natural charm, and Yumi
        misunderstands her to mean that she is a natural goof. (We also get
        several mentions in this novel of Yumi's low-self-esteem/self-
        abhorrence.)

        8) In the classroom, Shimako is standing in front of a window with
        mist on it, and Yumi thinks it makes her look like she has wings. This
        prompts a thought in Yumi's mind that white is definitely angel-like
        Shimako's color, at which Tsutako (who has clearly had the same
        thought) turns to Yumi and jokes that as she's a member of the Red
        Rose family, she's going to have to blush every day, as part of the
        Red Rose family.

        9) Initially, a big part of Yumi's stress factor over Sachiko is the
        concern that Shizuka may supplant Sachiko as RC. She isn't really
        aware that Shizuka poses the biggest threat to Shimako until it is
        pointed out to her.

        10) No one really remembers Shizuka, because at the school festival,
        her hair was long. It is rumored that she did it to mimic Sei, since
        she was (so the school newspaper reported) a leading candidate for
        Sei's petite soeur. When this rumor is revealed, Sachiko wonders if
        Shizuka is anything like Shiori, while Rei says that Shizuka seems
        like the kind of person who deserves to be at the Rose Mansion.

        11) Tsutako is the one who reveals Shizuka's information to Yumi, not
        Yoshino, as in the anime.

        12) In the library, after Yoshino explains that Shizuka, aka Rosa
        Canina is the nice librarian who helped Yumi, Yumi notices slips of
        paper marking pages in the books she is holding. One after the other,
        they mark the pages with pictures of Rosa Chinensis. The last one
        marks Rosa Canina. Yumi and Yoshino think that it must be a message
        from the enemy.

        13) Shimako confesses to Yumi the one of the reasons that she is not
        running is that she has never really had a chance at "normal" student
        life, because she was brought into the Yamayurikai almost immediately
        upon entering. She expresses a desire to become friends with Yoshino
        and Yumi. (Later we learn that one of the reasons Shizuka considered
        running for the YYK is that she's been in chorus as a soloist  from
        the beginning and she wanted to be in a "normal" club. Sei points out
        that being a member of the Student Council is hardly normal student
        life.)

        In the manga, we get foreshadowing of Shimako's later arc, with
        comments inside her head like, "Every day I am here, I'm committing a
        crime.") But those are not in the novel.

        15) When they hear footsteps on the stairs, Yumi thinks it must be
        Rosa Chinensis, because the footsteps are soft and even, like Youko's
        or Shimako's. She notes that her footstep ID is getting better,
        although not as good as Sei's.

        16) One thing not really captured in the anime or manga is that
        Shimako is really cold, and almost rude to Shizuka when she comes to
        the Rose Mansion to make her offer. (It's done well in the CD Drama,
        though.)

        17) In the manga, when Shizuka meets Yumi in the hallway, Yoshino is
        with them. In the manga and novel Yumi is alone.

        18)Youko confronts Yumi about her role as imouto, not on a bench
        outside, but right outside the Rose Mansion. She brings Yumi inside
        the storeroom on the first floor, puts her up against a wall, puts
        both hands on her shoulders and talks into Yumi's face. (In the anime,
        Youko never touches Yumi, until she is about to graduate.)

        18) When Sachiko sees Yumi again and realizes that they have both been
        worried about their onee-sama, she tells Yumi that what she wants most
        from Yumi is that when she is down, for Yumi to hold her hand.

        When Sachiko goes to give her speech, Yumi kvells at her from the
        wings. ("Kvelling" is a yiddish word for when you're so proud and
        happy that you want to burst.)

        19) Cut scenes:

        Shizuka's supporters, wearing Rosa Canina headbands shouting her name
        at the assembly.

        Shizuka asks Sei to meet her after the elections, regardless of the
        outcome.

        Yumi, Sachiko, Rei and Yoshino in the Rose Mansion, waiting to get the
        results of the election. When they go to learn who has won, Sachiko
        asks that Yumi and Yoshino stand with her and Rei. Shimako comes late,
        Shizuka never shows.

        20) Sei meets Shizuka, as requested. The scene is pretty much intact
        in the anime (with the exception of Shizuka's reasoning for wanting to
        run.) Since we originally saw this scene without having seen Sei's
        arc, we lack a little crucial information - Shizuka is, IMHO, coming
        on rather strongly to Sei. "I wanted to see my reflection in your eyes
        just once." Go home and try that. You have to be darned close to see
        your reflection in someone's eyes. Shizuka admits that she doesn't
        want to be Sei's soeur...and Sei understands, I think, and gives her a
        kiss as a "going away present." It's an incredibly sexy scene between
        them.

        21) Yumi, who has been eavesdropping, think to herself that if she
        ever saw Sachiko kissing anyone, on the cheek or forehead, she'd
        freak. So she promises Sei she won't tell Shimako, but Sei can't
        understand why.

        22) After Yoshino and Rei leave (and my, isn't the interaction between
        them really suspicious! Yoshino comes running up, grabs Rei's arm and
        the two of them hustle off, "Got to go! Bye!" and they practically run
        off together....uh-huh, she says, knowingly...) Yumi sees Shimako
        crying in Sei's arms. Sachiko and she leave and Yumi asks Sachiko if
        she can do anything for her - anything at all. She'd bungee jump, eat
        glass, whatever. Lol

        Sachiko just asks if they can go back to the Rose Mansion and eat the
        lunch they couldn't eat earlier out of nervousness. "Seeing your face
        has suddenly given me an appetite."

        The End.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2005
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Aimi Hayashi <superaimi@y...> wrote:

          > These notes are always a pleasure to read ~ Just want to say thanks
          (aswell) for posting them.

          You're quite welcome. I'm very glad to know that people are enjoying
          them, since it's the only reward I get for my efforts. lol

          No one ever gets told "thank you" often enough. :-)