Yuri Shimai - good news and bad

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4 10:32 AM
      Hi all!

      While scanning the Japanese yuri sites, it looks like a rumor is
      circulating that Yuri Shimai is returning. That's the good news.

      The not-so-good news is that it might be returning as a ero-anthology
      for guys. There's a fairly high probability of this, as the people who
      have picked it up are a shounen-seinen oriented company. (Studio DNA,
      who did Mai Hime, Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night and a bunch of other
      cute-girl with yuri stuff for guys.)

      While I'd like to see it continue, I will be deeply disappointed if it
      goes all-out boy-oriented. I think I've just about had my fill of yuri
      for guys these days and am getting desperate to read/watch something
      for women.

      Why do I care who the target audience is? Well, mostly I'm tired of
      fanservice and loli. They seem to be the only tricks in the shounen
      yuri bag these days and I'm *bored to death* of them both.

      If the world was fair, they'd be making anime from Yamaji Ebine and
      Takashima Rica stories - and the world would be a much better place
      for yuri.

      In any case - this all remains unsubstantiated rumor. More reports to
      follow as I learn anything of interest.

      (who isn't as bitter as she sounds, really)
    • Jen
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 2:50 AM

        > Why do I care who the target audience is? Well, mostly I'm tired of
        > fanservice and loli. They seem to be the only tricks in the shounen
        > yuri bag these days and I'm *bored to death* of them both.

        Well, to be fair to...

        ...nah, that's boring. I'll just rant.

        Personally, I don't mind some good shounen yuri now n' then. Sure,
        drama and angst, well-written plot and character development is all
        well n' good simply for it's scarcity (I'm a recovering YKK addict,
        after all), but sometimes I just like to flop down in front of the
        computer with a mouthful of sweet crap and watch some schoolgirl fight
        for the right to dress up her pinky ninja friend in a catsuit.

        Dangit, we NEED this stuff in our life. ^_^

        Lordy knows I love well-written ANYthing (with yuri, all the better,
        since it's my fad of choice right now), but I couldn't live on a
        steady dose. For one thing, all the characters would probably be dead
        or somethin' within a year.

        Yeah, yeah, you've heard my whinging about how all yuri stories always
        rely on death/tragedy to make 'em dramatic in a cheap, easy-way-out
        kinda way, but it still applies, y'know? I was always confident that
        we wouldn't suddenly find Shinobu lying in a bath full of red, but
        with MariMite... well, I had to be reassured, remember?

        That's probably why I haven't started watching SAILOR MOON, nor do I
        really plan too. Giggly girly gangbustin' aside, I don't wanna have
        to go through all the crying and screaming and uber emotion-ripping
        that I'm pretty sure the writers inflict on the gals in order to make
        the story all epic-like.

        For all I know, Haruka & Michiru were written in solely for the
        writers to later rip apart and stomp their faces into their own pools
        of blood, all the while playing the sad dramatic music as they
        probably died while saving the world or somethin' (hey, I know nothin'
        about these two. I'm just guessing here!). These two just have that
        "Look how we are one soul born in two bodies. Gaze at our brief
        happiness. Feel bad as we're killed and burned as an ultimate
        sacrifice" thing about them.

        Hoping to get happy yuri is one thing. Hoping to get happy yuri away
        from the schoolies is another thing entirely. Japanese male society
        love their schoolgirls, and the best we can hope for is a well written
        drama with yuri goodness between girls in a private school uniform.
        Otherwise we look for whatever we can find among all the death and
        soul-scarring of all the other schoolgirl anime we watch.

        The Marimite girls (mostly 16 going on 40) earned points due to it's
        lack of deaths among the core cast, and we managed to see how Sei had
        her early life shattered... all without having to watch her scream
        "IE~EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH~!" to the heavens as the camera looks
        elsewhere. But that's the exception to the otherwise annoying rule.
        The rest of the time it's celebrating yuri goodness between
        schoolgirls when they're NOT being killed physically or emotionally by
        their writers.

        I reckon that's why I'm rapidly getting bored with MAI HYMEn. I'm up
        to episode #16, and I hear there's yuri round the corner, but I can
        practically SEE all the crying and screaming and death that's gonna
        ride along with it.

        We can't have shoujo-ai among schoolgirls without things getting
        "dark" in the end, right?

        I'm sure the schoolkids from UTENA would agree, and the schoolgirls
        from KEY... well, that's horror to the extreme, isn't it (Boys whine
        about their precious Asuka, but she's got nothin' on KEY's Sakura)?
        LAIN and Arisu went out screaming (at least they weren't wearing their
        uniforms at the time), and ALIEN 9? Let's not go there.

        So yeah, I would also like well-written plot and development among
        grownups in my yuri shows... but not everyone can do a YKK (It's hard
        making good coffee without being a male masturbatory aid, but Alpha
        pulls it off!). If yuri does indeed catch on in rising number, it's
        just gonna be more screaming, crying schoolgirls, which I'd rather go
        without. SO instead, I'll be quite content to turn my brain off and
        enjoy my Yuri For Boys. I like some good light-hearted fluff, and if
        that means panty shots, then so be it.

        Naturally, I'd prefer my Panty Shots to be of one's WITHOUT cutesy
        bear illustrations or little pink ribbons, but from a nation who's
        economy would collapse if it banned it's beloved Used Schoolgirl's
        Underwear vending machines, what can I hope for? -_-

        SO bring on the shounen yuri. I'll gladly take it, since the
        alternative is too morbid for my taste. I want yuri to make me smile,
        not make my heart bleed for a bunch of schoolies. I'll just wallow in
        the boy's shows, ignore the FAP-ing in the background, and rely on
        crazed otaku... I mean "Okazu" to do all the hard work and find the
        diamonds in the rough FOR me. ^_^

        Kisses XXOOXX
        Jen

        P.S. We want Hayate X Blade NOW~!
      • shenotski
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 8:23 AM
          You might want to check out sin city then (movie/comic). There's some
          Yuri in there along with a really cool pulp style to both.
          > SO bring on the shounen yuri. I'll gladly take it, since the
          > alternative is too morbid for my taste. I want yuri to make me smile,
          > not make my heart bleed for a bunch of schoolies. I'll just wallow in
          > the boy's shows, ignore the FAP-ing in the background, and rely on
          > crazed otaku... I mean "Okazu" to do all the hard work and find the
          > diamonds in the rough FOR me. ^_^
          >

          > Kisses XXOOXX
          > Jen
          >
          > P.S. We want Hayate X Blade NOW~!
        • Ashley
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5 9:57 AM
            "Used Schoolgirl's Underwear vending machines,"

            Please please tell me you're joking about this. Can you imagine the look
            of the old pervert, because you know its going to be an old creepy
            looking man that stocks the machine. lmao. All of 5'4" a scraggily beard
            (if you can get a Japanese guy to grow one?), one eye is half-closed and
            his teeth havent been brushed in weeks - or longer... and his
            overall-uniform is stained with stuff youre better off not wondering
            about. O_______O Oh, and he leers with drool dripping off his chin
            everytime he sees a cute girl in a uniform.

            Anyway, I too wouldnt mind seeing yuri for girls that doesnt involve
            screaming, crying, death, destruction and all those other
            heart-wrenching themese that are meant to get us girls to sob. I like it
            sometimes, but when thats the main fare, then its like eating nothing
            but corn from a can everyday. I tried reading Alien 9 once, and I got to
            the second chapter and put it down, couldnt read any more... Mai Hime, I
            stopped watching after 18, I plan on watching the last two episodes though.

            --Ashley
          • Resop
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5 10:18 AM
              --- Ashley <dreamingxashley@...> wrote:
              > "Used Schoolgirl's Underwear vending machines,"
              >
              > Please please tell me you're joking about this.

              No joke.

              http://www.snopes.com/risque/kinky/panties.htm

              Craig
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5 10:46 AM
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Ashley <dreamingxashley@g...> wrote:
                > "Used Schoolgirl's Underwear vending machines,"

                Not a joke - but they've been outlawed for some time now in Japan.

              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5 10:56 AM
                  On Apr 5, 2005, at 11:23 AM, shenotski wrote:

                  > You might want to check out sin city then (movie/comic). There's some
                  > Yuri in there along with a really cool pulp style to both.

                  I don't think I'd recommend Sin City for it's really minimal,
                  exploitative yuri content. It's really just an echo of the noir/pulp
                  genre that Sin City exaggerates: it substitutes for character
                  development for a character who's ultimately a disposable plot point. I
                  don't think it's list worthy, at all. However, if you like comics,
                  Frank Miller, film noir, pretty film making, and dark cynical views of
                  humanity and morality then I highly recommend Sin City.

                  Getting back to Yuri Shimai, if getting bought by a Seinen publisher
                  means no more Strawberry Shake then I'm probably going to have to set
                  fire to the place. ;)

                  -==-
                  Serge
                  http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                • Ashley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5 11:31 AM
                    Thats rather funny in a sad/creepy sorta way.

                    --Ashley