Notes on the fourth Marimite Novel, Part 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      Before I say anything else, I want to say this - the anime did such a
      disservice to Sachiko. She is, without fail, THE most romantic
      character I've come across in a years. She is always touching Yumi,
      caressing her, snuggling her, and gnerally doing unbelievably romantic
      things. (like the hair ribbon in the last book....)

      The anime failed to communicate that well - not because of any flaw in
      Saciko, but because we see it through Yumi's eyes and she feels so
      unworthy that she doesn't take note of it. She sees Sachiko's
      attention as being corrected, when it really means that sachiko simply
      cannot take her eyes off Yumi.

      Sachiko's only real fault is that she doesn't want to burden Yumi with
      her own worries...and of course, that's what blows up in their face in
      Rainy Blue...but I digress. In any case,I am now, officially, a
      Sachiko fan. :-)

      Notes on "Rosa Canina"

      Once again, little chande, with about three small scenes cut from the
      anime altogether. The elction arc takes about hlf the book, while the
      New Year's arc is the other half - so there wasn't as much detail lost
      in the translation to anime as I feared.

      1) The"Cast of Characters" is presented as snapshots by Tsutako.

      2) At the beginning of term ceremony, Yumi watches for Sachiko while
      waiting for all the older students to be seated. She's so obsessive
      that, as she drifts off into a nap, she dreams that she has "Sachiko-
      it is" and that Sei is a doctor who tells her that she'll have to take
      medicine after every meal.

      3) Shimako acts "uncharacteristically throughout the whole novel...
      which leads me to believe that Yumi doesn't really understand
      Shimako's character at all. (Shimako bursts into the Council room, she
      runs after the bus waving her arms and calling for it to stop, and
      later cries in Sei's arms.)

      4) And how is it that Yumi has never heard of the school elections or
      how they work?

      5) On the bus that afternoon, Sachiko asks Yumi to sit close and lean
      on her. They huddle for warmth and space.

      6) The reason Yumi thinks that Rosa Canina should be a black color, is
      that black is the traditional color for villains.

      7) Tsutako comments that Yumi has a natural charm, and Yumi
      misunderstands her to mean that she is a natural goof. (We also get
      several mentions in this novel of Yumi's low-self-esteem/self-
      abhorrence.)

      8) In the classroom, Shimako is standing in front of a window with
      mist on it, and Yumi thinks it makes her look like she has wings. This
      prompts a thought in Yumi's mind that white is definitely angel-like
      Shimako's color, at which Tsutako (who has clearly had the same
      thought) turns to Yumi and jokes that as she's a member of the Red
      Rose family, she's going to have to blush every day, as part of the
      Red Rose family.

      9) Initially, a big part of Yumi's stress factor over Sachiko is the
      concern that Shizuka may supplant Sachiko as RC. She isn't really
      aware that Shizuka poses the biggest threat to Shimako until it is
      pointed out to her.

      10) No one really remembers Shizuka, because at the school festival,
      her hair was long. It is rumored that she did it to mimic Sei, since
      she was (so the school newspaper reported) a leading candidate for
      Sei's petite soeur. When this rumor is revealed, Sachiko wonders if
      Shizuka is anything like Shiori, while Rei says that Shizuka seems
      like the kind of person who deserves to be at the Rose Mansion.

      11) Tsutako is the one who reveals Shizuka's information to Yumi, not
      Yoshino, as in the anime.

      12) In the library, after Yoshino explains that Shizuka, aka Rosa
      Canina is the nice librarian who helped Yumi, Yumi notices slips of
      paper marking pages in the books she is holding. One after the other,
      they mark the pages with pictures of Rosa Chinensis. The last one
      marks Rosa Canina. Yumi and Yoshino think that it must be a message
      from the enemy.

      13) Shimako confesses to Yumi the one of the reasons that she is not
      running is that she has never really had a chance at "normal" student
      life, because she was brought into the Yamayurikai almost immediately
      upon entering. She expresses a desire to become friends with Yoshino
      and Yumi. (Later we learn that one of the reasons Shizuka considered
      running for the YYK is that she's been in chorus as a soloist from
      the beginning and she wanted to be in a "normal" club. Sei points out
      that being a member of the Student Council is hardly normal student
      life.)

      In the manga, we get foreshadowing of Shimako's later arc, with
      comments inside her head like, "Every day I am here, I'm committing a
      crime.") But those are not in the novel.

      15) When they hear footsteps on the stairs, Yumi thinks it must be
      Rosa Chinensis, because the footsteps are soft and even, like Youko's
      or Shimako's. She notes that her footstep ID is getting better,
      although not as good as Sei's.

      16) One thing not really captured in the anime or manga is that
      Shimako is really cold, and almost rude to Shizuka when she comes to
      the Rose Mansion to make her offer. (It's done well in the CD Drama,
      though.)

      17) In the manga, when Shizuka meets Yumi in the hallway, Yoshino is
      with them. In the manga and novel Yumi is alone.

      18)Youko confronts Yumi about her role as imouto, not on a bench
      outside, but right outside the Rose Mansion. She brings Yumi inside
      the storeroom on the first floor, puts her up against a wall, puts
      both hands on her shoulders and talks into Yumi's face. (In the anime,
      Youko never touches Yumi, until she is about to graduate.)

      18) When Sachiko sees Yumi again and realizes that they have both been
      worried about their onee-sama, she tells Yumi that what she wants most
      from Yumi is that when she is down, for Yumi to hold her hand.

      When Sachiko goes to give her speech, Yumi kvells at her from the
      wings. ("Kvelling" is a yiddish word for when you're so proud and
      happy that you want to burst.)

      19) Cut scenes:

      Shizuka's supporters, wearing Rosa Canina headbands shouting her name
      at the assembly.

      Shizuka asks Sei to meet her after the elections, regardless of the
      outcome.

      Yumi, Sachiko, Rei and Yoshino in the Rose Mansion, waiting to get the
      results of the election. When they go to learn who has won, Sachiko
      asks that Yumi and Yoshino stand with her and Rei. Shimako comes late,
      Shizuka never shows.

      20) Sei meets Shizuka, as requested. The scene is pretty much intact
      in the anime (with the exception of Shizuka's reasoning for wanting to
      run.) Since we originally saw this scene without having seen Sei's
      arc, we lack a little crucial information - Shizuka is, IMHO, coming
      on rather strongly to Sei. "I wanted to see my reflection in your eyes
      just once." Go home and try that. You have to be darned close to see
      your reflection in someone's eyes. Shizuka admits that she doesn't
      want to be Sei's soeur...and Sei understands, I think, and gives her a
      kiss as a "going away present." It's an incredibly sexy scene between
      them.

      21) Yumi, who has been eavesdropping, think to herself that if she
      ever saw Sachiko kissing anyone, on the cheek or forehead, she'd
      freak. So she promises Sei she won't tell Shimako, but Sei can't
      understand why.

      22) After Yoshino and Rei leave (and my, isn't the interaction between
      them really suspicious! Yoshino comes running up, grabs Rei's arm and
      the two of them hustle off, "Got to go! Bye!" and they practically run
      off together....uh-huh, she says, knowingly...) Yumi sees Shimako
      crying in Sei's arms. Sachiko and she leave and Yumi asks Sachiko if
      she can do anything for her - anything at all. She'd bungee jump, eat
      glass, whatever. Lol

      Sachiko just asks if they can go back to the Rose Mansion and eat the
      lunch they couldn't eat earlier out of nervousness. "Seeing your face
      has suddenly given me an appetite."

      The End.
    • duelist391
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005

        > Before I say anything else, I want to say this - the anime did such a
        > disservice to Sachiko. She is, without fail, THE most romantic
        > character I've come across in a years. She is always touching Yumi,
        > caressing her, snuggling her, and gnerally doing unbelievably
        romantic
        > things. (like the hair ribbon in the last book....)

        Thank you much for pointing out the differences between the novel and
        anime. I cannot read japanese and am so sad to be missing out on the
        novels which I assume has a deeper storyline. I have found very few
        english translations that cover a few chapters here and there to keep
        my interest in Maramite alive. For now, fanfictions will have to do for
        me.
      • Aimi Hayashi
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2005
          These notes are always a pleasure to read ~ Just want to say thanks (aswell) for posting them.

          AH

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 19, 2005
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Aimi Hayashi <superaimi@y...> wrote:

            > These notes are always a pleasure to read ~ Just want to say thanks
            (aswell) for posting them.

            You're quite welcome. I'm very glad to know that people are enjoying
            them, since it's the only reward I get for my efforts. lol

            No one ever gets told "thank you" often enough. :-)