Yuri in the latest Negima manga

  • Sean Gaffney
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 4:05 PM
      Lots of folks are already reading the Negima scanlations elsewhere, but I'm not, so
      I'm going to talk about Volume 5 just released by Del Rey. Volume 4 saw the
      beginning of this pairing, but 5 really makes it explicit.

      Konoka is the cute Mutsumi-esque best friend of our heroine. She's also the heir to
      the Eastern School of Magic, and has incredibly huge powers that she has not yet
      tapped and knows little of. To protect her from evildoers, she has her friend
      Setsuna. Setsuna is a kick-ass swordswoman devoted to protecting Konoka no
      matter what.

      They were childhood friends, but lately Setsuna has been avoiding Konoka. This is
      partly due to the need to protect her from afar, partly due to a spoiler we haven't seen
      yet, but mainly due to Setsuna having a major crush on her ojou-sama. Lots of
      blushing, denials, etc. This isn't helped by Konoka being quite the genki glomper.

      Anyway, in 5, there's another attempt on Konoka's life. Setsuna grabs her, in front of
      some of the others, and says she wants to be along with Konoka. Of course, this is
      just to get her safe, but the otehrs all come to the conclusion that Setsuna and
      Konoka have a lesbian relationship. What's more, they think it's great, and offer their
      unconditional support. This despite Setsuna's blushing denials. :D

      Anyway, from what I hear of future chapters, this relationship is not dropped and then
      randomly picked up like Akamatsu's previous series, Love Hina, but is actually a
      running plot. And since neither of them is Asuna, the heroine who is probably
      destined to end up with an adult Negi unless Akamatsu pulls a fast one and makes it
      Librarian Girl, it might actually have a chance of at least not being denied.

      I can't recommend Negina to yuri lovers with a good conscience, as it's shonen panty
      manga, but it has some cute yuri anyway.

      --SG
    • Shannon J. L.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
        Lol. Yes, I've been following this and the misunderstanding is
        handled every cutely. I was actually a bit surprised at how
        willingly the girls from the class all jumped on the yuri-supporting
        bandwagon... ^__^

        For those who've read the manga, do the girls get paired up with
        someone else? Just curious....