RE: [Yuricon] Is anyone familiar with Kashimashi ~ Girl meets Girl?

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 29, 2005
      >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] Is anyone familiar with Kashimashi ~ Girl meets Girl?
      >Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:55:20 -0000

      I've been meaning to answer this for a while, but as the Tokyo trip is
      getting closer, I have less time to play here. ;-)

      Let me start off by saying that I have seen this title mentioned alot across
      the Japanese Yuri lists and blogs and have been meaning to look at it for a
      while. Since it seems to be appealing to the slightly loli/slighty
      fanboyish yuri fan, I haven't rushed to read it. (Most of the folks that go
      on about it tend to be male, and who like "cute and sweet" yuri.

      Secondly, Dengeki is famous for it's "not quite a girl" yuri. I just
      finished reading "Pure Marionation" which is a similar set up - all girls,
      all girls' love, but about half the characters are really robots, so you get
      that uber-innocence card thrown in. Again, cute, sweet, undeniably yuri -
      but not with human women. For some people this might be less appealing. I
      know I much prefer two adult human women over two adorable, loli girls, one
      of whom is not quite human.

      That having been said...

      >Anyway, Kashimashi seems to be revolve around a love triangle between
      >3.. *gasp* girls. Yes, 3 girls, no it's not 2 girls and a guy.

      Well...no, that's not *entirely* accurate. One of the "girls" is an alien
      who happens to be in a girl's body. "She" isn't human, so "her" reactions
      aren't human. They tend to be introspective, "Gee, what is this thing I
      feel? Is this a human thing? These aliens are so alien."

      Again, that having been said, this story IS undeniably yuri. For instance,
      the two girls in love with the protagonist are *definitely* human, and
      definitely in love with another girl.

      Of course, there is also a guy in love with the protagonist, so the story is
      really a harem story.

      Yes,
      >this setup is rare. Nice and clean art for Dengeki standards, and the
      >pacing seems to have been carefully planned.

      Again, we have different tastes...I find it very slow.

      I have little hope of anything actually *happening*, but it's okay - it's
      typical of a harem show where we just sort of travel through time in a
      variety of cosplay outfits (beach, onsen, school festival where we are,
      inevitably, in maid costume, etc, etc).

      >Girl A is your stereotypical blonde archetype
      >Girl B is her long time friend who secretly harbors feelings for her
      >Girl C is you classic interloper. She comes out of nowhere

      quite literally!

      and
      >unabashedly pursues Girl A
      >
      >In the latest chapter Girl B has let Girl C know that she too loves
      >Girl A. Oooooh.....
      >
      >Other than that I don't know much. Like I said, I came midway into the
      >series. XD

      Me too and the tug of war seems to be sort of settling into a friendly sort
      of threesome.

      It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
      read, certainly.

      But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
      discovering their first love. Sigh.

    • Sarah Wolfie
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 29, 2005
        On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:35:05 -0500, Erica Friedman
        <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
        > It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
        > read, certainly.
        >
        > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
        > discovering their first love. Sigh.

        I can certainly understand what you mean. WAY too many schoolgirl stories.

        --
        Sarah Wolfie
      • J Barlow
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
          Then again, a lot of manga in general is about/for a schoolgirl audience. Whether yuri or not...XD

          Josie

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005

              <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
              > It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
              > read, certainly.
              >
              > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
              > discovering their first love. Sigh.

              I can certainly understand what you mean.  WAY too many schoolgirl stories.

              --
              Sarah Wolfie

            • Jen
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

                > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who
                are not discovering their first love. Sigh.

                Leaving aside Yomiko "Oh my God you're 30 and not married you call
                yourself a Japanese onna think of your poor mother and why don't you
                call anymore you'll send your father to an early grave and speaking of
                granchildren..." Readman, I'll always consider YKK's Alpha & Kokone
                the queens of yuri.

                Granted, they are indeed Robo-women... but In My Drunken Opinion, they
                beat the pants off Haruka and Tomoyo. One's guilty of being a
                schoolgirl, while the other has spawned an entire industry of loli
                doujins.

                Hey, at least A & K are robots in practically name only. They don't
                have booby-missiles or anything. But then, I haven't read YKK in a
                while, so I may be wrong...

                Kisses XXOOXX
                Jen
              • Adam Jones
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                  On 01-Apr-2005 11:18 -0000, Jen wrote:

                  > Hey, at least A & K are robots in practically name only. They don't
                  > have booby-missiles or anything. But then, I haven't read YKK in a
                  > while, so I may be wrong...

                  Yeah, you must've missed the volume guest-edited by Go Nagai. It was
                  great.
                  .oO("Very anatomically correct..." )