Re: [Yuricon] Re: Dengeki Daioh

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 29, 2005
      >From: Ami Mizuno <amitempo@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Dengeki Daioh
      >Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:57:38 +0100 (BST)
      >

      >Hmm...maybe I should buy an issue...is it a good
      >collection over all?

      That entirely depends on what you like.

      It's a totally shounen book, that resides a little to the loli side. Not
      disgustuingly so, just slightly.

      Off the top of my head, and not at *all* comprehensively, it has these yuri
      (implicit, explicit or fan-assumed) manga series running:

      Hayate Cross Blade
      Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl
      Ichigo Marshmallow
      2x2 Shinobuden
      Yostubato!

      In the "other" category:

      Starship Operators (which seems much stupider a manga than it an anime from
      my two chapter sample)
      Gunslinger Girls
      Tsukihime
      Gundam 0079
      Siren

      and a bunch of other things I can't remember at the moment, but I am sure
      are worthy - or not - in their own right.

      So...if it's what you like, then yes, its worth it. :-)

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 29, 2005
        >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] Is anyone familiar with Kashimashi ~ Girl meets Girl?
        >Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:55:20 -0000

        I've been meaning to answer this for a while, but as the Tokyo trip is
        getting closer, I have less time to play here. ;-)

        Let me start off by saying that I have seen this title mentioned alot across
        the Japanese Yuri lists and blogs and have been meaning to look at it for a
        while. Since it seems to be appealing to the slightly loli/slighty
        fanboyish yuri fan, I haven't rushed to read it. (Most of the folks that go
        on about it tend to be male, and who like "cute and sweet" yuri.

        Secondly, Dengeki is famous for it's "not quite a girl" yuri. I just
        finished reading "Pure Marionation" which is a similar set up - all girls,
        all girls' love, but about half the characters are really robots, so you get
        that uber-innocence card thrown in. Again, cute, sweet, undeniably yuri -
        but not with human women. For some people this might be less appealing. I
        know I much prefer two adult human women over two adorable, loli girls, one
        of whom is not quite human.

        That having been said...

        >Anyway, Kashimashi seems to be revolve around a love triangle between
        >3.. *gasp* girls. Yes, 3 girls, no it's not 2 girls and a guy.

        Well...no, that's not *entirely* accurate. One of the "girls" is an alien
        who happens to be in a girl's body. "She" isn't human, so "her" reactions
        aren't human. They tend to be introspective, "Gee, what is this thing I
        feel? Is this a human thing? These aliens are so alien."

        Again, that having been said, this story IS undeniably yuri. For instance,
        the two girls in love with the protagonist are *definitely* human, and
        definitely in love with another girl.

        Of course, there is also a guy in love with the protagonist, so the story is
        really a harem story.

        Yes,
        >this setup is rare. Nice and clean art for Dengeki standards, and the
        >pacing seems to have been carefully planned.

        Again, we have different tastes...I find it very slow.

        I have little hope of anything actually *happening*, but it's okay - it's
        typical of a harem show where we just sort of travel through time in a
        variety of cosplay outfits (beach, onsen, school festival where we are,
        inevitably, in maid costume, etc, etc).

        >Girl A is your stereotypical blonde archetype
        >Girl B is her long time friend who secretly harbors feelings for her
        >Girl C is you classic interloper. She comes out of nowhere

        quite literally!

        and
        >unabashedly pursues Girl A
        >
        >In the latest chapter Girl B has let Girl C know that she too loves
        >Girl A. Oooooh.....
        >
        >Other than that I don't know much. Like I said, I came midway into the
        >series. XD

        Me too and the tug of war seems to be sort of settling into a friendly sort
        of threesome.

        It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
        read, certainly.

        But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
        discovering their first love. Sigh.

      • Sarah Wolfie
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 29, 2005
          On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:35:05 -0500, Erica Friedman
          <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
          > It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
          > read, certainly.
          >
          > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
          > discovering their first love. Sigh.

          I can certainly understand what you mean. WAY too many schoolgirl stories.

          --
          Sarah Wolfie
        • J Barlow
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
            Then again, a lot of manga in general is about/for a schoolgirl audience. Whether yuri or not...XD

            Josie

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005

                <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                > It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
                > read, certainly.
                >
                > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
                > discovering their first love. Sigh.

                I can certainly understand what you mean.  WAY too many schoolgirl stories.

                --
                Sarah Wolfie

              • Jen
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

                  > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who
                  are not discovering their first love. Sigh.

                  Leaving aside Yomiko "Oh my God you're 30 and not married you call
                  yourself a Japanese onna think of your poor mother and why don't you
                  call anymore you'll send your father to an early grave and speaking of
                  granchildren..." Readman, I'll always consider YKK's Alpha & Kokone
                  the queens of yuri.

                  Granted, they are indeed Robo-women... but In My Drunken Opinion, they
                  beat the pants off Haruka and Tomoyo. One's guilty of being a
                  schoolgirl, while the other has spawned an entire industry of loli
                  doujins.

                  Hey, at least A & K are robots in practically name only. They don't
                  have booby-missiles or anything. But then, I haven't read YKK in a
                  while, so I may be wrong...

                  Kisses XXOOXX
                  Jen
                • Adam Jones
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                    On 01-Apr-2005 11:18 -0000, Jen wrote:

                    > Hey, at least A & K are robots in practically name only. They don't
                    > have booby-missiles or anything. But then, I haven't read YKK in a
                    > while, so I may be wrong...

                    Yeah, you must've missed the volume guest-edited by Go Nagai. It was
                    great.
                    .oO("Very anatomically correct..." )