Is anyone familiar with Kashimashi ~ Girl meets Girl?

  • mellowrg
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 27 5:55 AM
      I've been following this for quite some time in Dengeki Daioh. Not a
      very good anthology by any means, but it has some nice series here and
      there. I primarily follow it for Tsukihime.

      Anyway, Kashimashi seems to be revolve around a love triangle between
      3.. *gasp* girls. Yes, 3 girls, no it's not 2 girls and a guy. Yes,
      this setup is rare. Nice and clean art for Dengeki standards, and the
      pacing seems to have been carefully planned.

      Girl A is your stereotypical blonde archetype
      Girl B is her long time friend who secretly harbors feelings for her
      Girl C is you classic interloper. She comes out of nowhere and
      unabashedly pursues Girl A

      In the latest chapter Girl B has let Girl C know that she too loves
      Girl A. Oooooh.....

      Other than that I don't know much. Like I said, I came midway into the
      series. XD
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 27 8:26 AM

        >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] Is anyone familiar with Kashimashi ~ Girl meets Girl?
        >Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:55:20 -0000
        >

        >I've been following this for quite some time in Dengeki Daioh. Not a
        >very good anthology by any means, but it has some nice series here and
        >there. I primarily follow it for Tsukihime.

        I just picked up Dengeki Daioh and I'd disagree...its an excellent
        anthology.

        It had more series running in it that I want to read than just about any
        other book I've picked up, including several yuri series - some more
        genuinely yuri than kashimashi which is one of those girls love, but the
        main character isn't "quite" really a girl, stories.

        Heck, DD has Hayate Cross Blade and Shinobuden and Yotsubato, so as fars as
        I'm concerned, DD gets snaps. :-)

      • mellowrg
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 27 12:03 PM

          > I just picked up Dengeki Daioh and I'd disagree...its an excellent
          > anthology.

          Well, you know after a while that DD is the haven for fast paced slap
          together anime to manga series. Most of it is just there for the sake
          of completing it's run.
        • mellowrg
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 27 12:05 PM
            On another note, Erica. Where did you get yours from? Shipping cost is
            a major pain for me. -_-
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 27 12:45 PM
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:

              > On another note, Erica. Where did you get yours from? Shipping cost
              is
              > a major pain for me. -_-

              I bet!

              I'm sorry to say that I can cheat. There is a Sanseido bookstore here
              in NJ, and a Kinokuniya and Asahiya bookstores in NYC, so I get more
              than half of my manga at bookstores locally.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 27 12:47 PM
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:

                > Well, you know after a while that DD is the haven for fast paced
                slap
                > together anime to manga series. Most of it is just there for the
                sake
                > of completing it's run.

                Maybe that's why I like it so much! LOL

              • Ami Mizuno
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 29 5:57 AM
                  Hmm...maybe I should buy an issue...is it a good
                  collection over all?

                  HC

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 29 7:22 AM
                    >From: Ami Mizuno <amitempo@...>
                    >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Dengeki Daioh
                    >Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:57:38 +0100 (BST)
                    >

                    >Hmm...maybe I should buy an issue...is it a good
                    >collection over all?

                    That entirely depends on what you like.

                    It's a totally shounen book, that resides a little to the loli side. Not
                    disgustuingly so, just slightly.

                    Off the top of my head, and not at *all* comprehensively, it has these yuri
                    (implicit, explicit or fan-assumed) manga series running:

                    Hayate Cross Blade
                    Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl
                    Ichigo Marshmallow
                    2x2 Shinobuden
                    Yostubato!

                    In the "other" category:

                    Starship Operators (which seems much stupider a manga than it an anime from
                    my two chapter sample)
                    Gunslinger Girls
                    Tsukihime
                    Gundam 0079
                    Siren

                    and a bunch of other things I can't remember at the moment, but I am sure
                    are worthy - or not - in their own right.

                    So...if it's what you like, then yes, its worth it. :-)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 29 7:35 AM
                      >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
                      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [Yuricon] Is anyone familiar with Kashimashi ~ Girl meets Girl?
                      >Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:55:20 -0000

                      I've been meaning to answer this for a while, but as the Tokyo trip is
                      getting closer, I have less time to play here. ;-)

                      Let me start off by saying that I have seen this title mentioned alot across
                      the Japanese Yuri lists and blogs and have been meaning to look at it for a
                      while. Since it seems to be appealing to the slightly loli/slighty
                      fanboyish yuri fan, I haven't rushed to read it. (Most of the folks that go
                      on about it tend to be male, and who like "cute and sweet" yuri.

                      Secondly, Dengeki is famous for it's "not quite a girl" yuri. I just
                      finished reading "Pure Marionation" which is a similar set up - all girls,
                      all girls' love, but about half the characters are really robots, so you get
                      that uber-innocence card thrown in. Again, cute, sweet, undeniably yuri -
                      but not with human women. For some people this might be less appealing. I
                      know I much prefer two adult human women over two adorable, loli girls, one
                      of whom is not quite human.

                      That having been said...

                      >Anyway, Kashimashi seems to be revolve around a love triangle between
                      >3.. *gasp* girls. Yes, 3 girls, no it's not 2 girls and a guy.

                      Well...no, that's not *entirely* accurate. One of the "girls" is an alien
                      who happens to be in a girl's body. "She" isn't human, so "her" reactions
                      aren't human. They tend to be introspective, "Gee, what is this thing I
                      feel? Is this a human thing? These aliens are so alien."

                      Again, that having been said, this story IS undeniably yuri. For instance,
                      the two girls in love with the protagonist are *definitely* human, and
                      definitely in love with another girl.

                      Of course, there is also a guy in love with the protagonist, so the story is
                      really a harem story.

                      Yes,
                      >this setup is rare. Nice and clean art for Dengeki standards, and the
                      >pacing seems to have been carefully planned.

                      Again, we have different tastes...I find it very slow.

                      I have little hope of anything actually *happening*, but it's okay - it's
                      typical of a harem show where we just sort of travel through time in a
                      variety of cosplay outfits (beach, onsen, school festival where we are,
                      inevitably, in maid costume, etc, etc).

                      >Girl A is your stereotypical blonde archetype
                      >Girl B is her long time friend who secretly harbors feelings for her
                      >Girl C is you classic interloper. She comes out of nowhere

                      quite literally!

                      and
                      >unabashedly pursues Girl A
                      >
                      >In the latest chapter Girl B has let Girl C know that she too loves
                      >Girl A. Oooooh.....
                      >
                      >Other than that I don't know much. Like I said, I came midway into the
                      >series. XD

                      Me too and the tug of war seems to be sort of settling into a friendly sort
                      of threesome.

                      It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
                      read, certainly.

                      But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
                      discovering their first love. Sigh.

                    • Sarah Wolfie
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 29 5:00 PM
                        On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:35:05 -0500, Erica Friedman
                        <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                        > It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
                        > read, certainly.
                        >
                        > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
                        > discovering their first love. Sigh.

                        I can certainly understand what you mean. WAY too many schoolgirl stories.

                        --
                        Sarah Wolfie
                      • J Barlow
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 31 1:06 AM
                          Then again, a lot of manga in general is about/for a schoolgirl audience. Whether yuri or not...XD

                          Josie

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 31 1:06 AM

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 31 1:09 AM

                              <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                              > It's adorable and not really offensive in any way. I'd recommend it for a
                              > read, certainly.
                              >
                              > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who are not
                              > discovering their first love. Sigh.

                              I can certainly understand what you mean.  WAY too many schoolgirl stories.

                              --
                              Sarah Wolfie

                            • Jen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

                                > But in my heart, I continue to long for stories of women over 18 who
                                are not discovering their first love. Sigh.

                                Leaving aside Yomiko "Oh my God you're 30 and not married you call
                                yourself a Japanese onna think of your poor mother and why don't you
                                call anymore you'll send your father to an early grave and speaking of
                                granchildren..." Readman, I'll always consider YKK's Alpha & Kokone
                                the queens of yuri.

                                Granted, they are indeed Robo-women... but In My Drunken Opinion, they
                                beat the pants off Haruka and Tomoyo. One's guilty of being a
                                schoolgirl, while the other has spawned an entire industry of loli
                                doujins.

                                Hey, at least A & K are robots in practically name only. They don't
                                have booby-missiles or anything. But then, I haven't read YKK in a
                                while, so I may be wrong...

                                Kisses XXOOXX
                                Jen
                              • Adam Jones
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 1, 2005
                                  On 01-Apr-2005 11:18 -0000, Jen wrote:

                                  > Hey, at least A & K are robots in practically name only. They don't
                                  > have booby-missiles or anything. But then, I haven't read YKK in a
                                  > while, so I may be wrong...

                                  Yeah, you must've missed the volume guest-edited by Go Nagai. It was
                                  great.
                                  .oO("Very anatomically correct..." )