Hayate Cross Blade

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 19 8:24 AM
      Hi all!

      I know 2005 has barely begun, and it's a little early to call a
      winner, but...

      I have just finished reading the first two volumes of "Hayate Cross
      Blade" by Hayashisa Shizuru for the second time and I gotta say, it's
      pretty great.

      I've written two detailed reviews at Okazu (http://okazu.blogspot.com)
      but here's the basics:

      Hayate is an uber-genki 13 year old who is filling in at Tenchi Gakuen
      for her sister who is in physical rehab for the next 6 months. Tenchi
      G is an unusual high school - a large portion of the students engage
      in sword fighting, a procedure called the "Hoshitori". Each fighter
      must have a partner, "shinyuu" and these pairs fight for rank and
      money.

      Hayate finds herself in need of both when the orphanage she and her
      sister grew up in is attacked. (Later, this becomes a serious issue,
      as we learn that the land is coveted by an evil businesswoman.) She
      joins the Hoshitori with the coolest girl in the school, Mudo Ayana.

      Their adventures are funny and fun, the characters are delighful, and
      the plot actuallly exist. LOL And if you've seen "Strawberry Shake"
      from Yuri Shimai, you know the artist - Hayashisa does that, as well.

      So far, this series is the front runner for yuri manga of the year for
      me. :-)

    • ivevei
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 19 9:06 AM
        I've read this too, and I have to second Erica on it. It's not quite
        my favourite manga, but it stands very well on its own as a gag manga,
        even without the yuri elements (and of course stands better because of
        them ^^).

        Pretty Face by Kanou Yasuhiro, published by Jump Comics, is an older
        but also very funny manga. It's not true yuri, in that the main
        character is actually a guy who is disfigured in an accident and has
        his face rebuilt in the likeness of a girl whose photo he had been
        carrying.

        But he's thought of as dead... So when he shows up in school everyone
        thinks he's the long-lost twin sister of the girl. He winds up living
        as her sister with her family, while searching for her real twin so
        that the sisters can be together again and he can get his face changed
        back to his original.

        The art's pretty good, the "sisters" are cute, and the gags are darn
        funny (to me at least :P).

        We need more good manga!
      • what is a dooky
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 19 9:21 AM
          This sounds great. There really isn't anything better than lesbians
          with swords, except perhaps if those lesbians were also catgirls ^_~

          Oh, and incidentally, great news about the Diamond distribution
          deal. The prospect of ALC stuff in the UK is quite wonderful. I'll
          start hassling my local comic stores (in both of my cities of
          residence) as soon as they're available.

          dooky
        • Jen
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 19 6:40 PM
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "ivevei" <ivevei@y...> wrote:

            > "...the main character is actually a guy who is disfigured in an
            accident and has his face rebuilt in the likeness of a girl whose
            photo he had been carrying.

            ... wow. Now *that's* a premise I never would've thought of. My
            interest is piqued, so it is. O_O

            As for Hayate... well, if her hair wasn't quite so boldly Red (from
            what I can see from the teeny-tiny front-cover images I've found on
            the Net so far), I'd say the old rule of "Pinko's get all the girls"
            is still in effect. Utena, Misha, Kurumi, Anita-chan...

            Kisses XXOOXX
            Jen
          • shenotski
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 19 11:50 PM
              Well it seems that since pink is considered a very popular color for
              girls(After all its consdered the female color by our socioty). So
              it's possibly a way of color coding the carecter for what they are
              supposed to be.

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20 8:02 AM
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "ivevei" <ivevei@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > "...the main character is actually a guy who is disfigured in an
                > accident and has his face rebuilt in the likeness of a girl whose
                > photo he had been carrying.
                >
                > ... wow. Now *that's* a premise I never would've thought of. My
                > interest is piqued, so it is. O_O

                I believe there is a scan out there for Pretty Face, but I have no
                idea where it is. I'm sure someone else knows and will be willing to
                share.

                I found PF a little annoying, with some moments of cute, but the basic
                premise really didn't do it for me. It was sort of the same problem
                that I had with "Kakumei no Hi", which is that the main character
                really isn't a girl, just sort of find himself in a girl skin. :-)

                > As for Hayate... well, if her hair wasn't quite so boldly Red (from
                > what I can see from the teeny-tiny front-cover images I've found on
                > the Net so far), I'd say the old rule of "Pinko's get all the girls"
                > is still in effect. Utena, Misha, Kurumi, Anita-chan...

                ...my wife...

              • rosepress@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20 1:23 PM
                  In a message dated 3/20/2005 10:06:02 AM Central Standard Time, anilesbocon01@... writes:
                  > As for Hayate... well, if her hair wasn't quite so boldly Red (from
                  > what I can see from the teeny-tiny front-cover images I've found on
                  > the Net so far), I'd say the old rule of "Pinko's get all the girls"
                  > is still in effect.  Utena, Misha, Kurumi, Anita-chan...

                  ...my wife...
                  They're Pinko and The Brain, Pinko and The Brain ....

                  Rose
                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2008
                    It is awesome.

                    Erica is divine.

                    That is all.

                    - Jen
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 8, 2008
                      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: puni@...
                      > Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 06:37:52 +0000
                      > Subject: [Yuricon] Hayate Cross Blade
                      >
                      > It is awesome.

                      I know I have been ranting for nearly four years about this series, so it might possibly have seemed that I'm no more than a mere obsessive lunatic at times. But, seriously, HxB is an absolutely stellar series.

                      > Erica is divine.

                      Forgot to get the angelgram on that, but I think I'll pass. Divinity is so overrated - followers never listen. :-)

                      I'm really glad you enjoyed Vol 1. Volume 2 is even more awesome by several orders and then Vol. 3 is even more awesome than that.

                      Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live Click here
                    • mara_papimer
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 8, 2008

                        > I know I have been ranting for nearly four years about this series,
                        >so it might possibly have seemed that I'm no more than a mere
                        >obsessive >lunatic at times. But, seriously, HxB is an absolutely
                        >stellar series.

                        Don't be silly. You can tell that Hayate X Blade is great from page
                        nine and you did not even have to know Japanese to get that joke.

                        Also it is nice to see a 'real' tsundere (Ayana) in a manga rather
                        than the spray of Rin clones that have been churned out recently. (not
                        that there was anything wrong with Rin)
                      • Jen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

                          > Hayate Cross Blade = ^___^

                          To expand, I like how it's an extreme version of MariMite.

                          Yumi is the short, genki, inelegant runt... Hayate is even shorter,
                          ultra hyper, totally genkitronic runt.

                          Sachiko is a tall, brooding, solitary nadeshiko who projects an air of
                          superiority and tries to "improve" those around her for the sake of
                          dignity... while Ayana is a tall, pale loner with long dark hair and
                          simply knows she's better than most everyone around her and is not
                          afraid to let them know in a completely non-emotional manner.

                          But this Yumi/Sachiko pair have swords. Oh, and Ayana wears Yuri
                          Goggles. Could this series possibly be anything else but a WIN?

                          What I especially liked was how Hayate seemed openly gay, but in a way
                          that seems like no-one has ever told her that liking girls was taboo
                          or wrong, so it never occurs to her that it should be either. I like
                          that. No pitter-patter crap, either. No "seven volumes pass over the
                          span of five years before the girl admits to the other that she likes
                          her" crap I hate so much. Hayate see, Hayate say "YOU!", and there it
                          is. Nice.

                          And I haven't enjoyed seeing a small girl get beaten so much since
                          Ichigo Mashimaro. Watching Ayane scream to the heavens in
                          glasses-blurring rage is just... oh it's LOL, personified.

                          And OH LOOK, they just happened to show all the series' sub-bosses
                          sitting at one table, so we know who our couple will have to beat to
                          progress to the last stage. How NICE, how very Angelic Layer. Let's
                          see, we have the smirking, gloating one... the nice one who is just so
                          sunny and likes you despite fighting to destroy you, nothing
                          pewrsonal... the bored, not-paying-attention one who's like "y'know,
                          whatever!"... we have the supremely powerful fighter who just happens
                          to be a 10yr old... OH, and I swear there's an archetype for Hitsugi &
                          Shizuku. I can't think of it right now, but I'm sure they must have
                          coresponding parallel-world twins. The ultra-cool, supremely
                          confident master of all and her big-eyed, pitter-patter yet TO THE
                          DEATH loyal little girl partner? I'm sure there's been many others.

                          Oh, and Hayate's roomate? If she's so smiley and carefree now, you
                          just *know* her "secret" is so very boo-hoo ANGST DRAMA so sad so
                          sad... she may as well have a "drama" stamp on her forehead. And oh
                          GEE I wonder if big sister Nagi will happen to arrive to take her
                          rightful place at just the worst possible time?

                          Oh I am SO loving this, and it's just book #1. It's gonna be a long
                          year. Don't wanna wait, I want book #2 now!

                          - Jen.

                          P.S. Ayane & ex-partner Yukari..? Well whadd'ya know, femmes still
                          rule the world.
                        • Jen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

                            > And I haven't enjoyed seeing a small girl get beaten so much since
                            > Ichigo Mashimaro. Watching Ayane scream to the heavens in
                            > glasses-blurring rage is just... oh it's LOL, personified.

                            "Ayane"? I meana "Ayana". How did I type Ayane by accident? Was it
                            a typo, or was there an Ayane in my history? Goog search time...

                            AH! She was the blue-haired chick from Dead Or Alive! The
                            booby-bouncing fighter from the Playstation! I played that!

                            ...er, not for the bouncing boobies. Of course not. Actually, it was
                            the challenge. We had that game, and I'd played won all mine many
                            times over, so I played this one. And I had to win. I *had* to. It
                            was a *game*, and I could not stop playing until I'd WON. That
                            happens a lot.

                            Which might also explain why Ayana was playing dating sims. Maybe she
                            just has the game, and plays it because it's there, and she HAS to
                            win, regardless of the game itself?

                            ... or maybe she's just a lonely nerd/LFG who has no life and just
                            wants to date girls and see 'em nekkid, and this is the best she can
                            do? I dunno. Of all the uptight strangers you pass today, any one of
                            them could be hiding a Sailor Moon tape in their bag. ^__^

                            http://www.users.on.net/~prime/puni/Loserz-20060414.gif

                            - Jen
                          • Lindy
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                              Hi all,

                              My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
                              than never, right? (:

                              I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
                              felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
                              the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
                              bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
                              onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
                              since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
                              be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
                              (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

                              I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

                              Cheers,
                              Lindy
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

                                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@> wrote:
                                > and I swear there's an archetype for Hitsugi &
                                > Shizuku. I can't think of it right now, but I'm sure they must
                                have
                                > coresponding parallel-world twins. The ultra-cool, supremely
                                > confident master of all and her big-eyed, pitter-patter yet TO THE
                                > DEATH loyal little girl partner? I'm sure there's been many
                                others.

                                Hitsugi is a parody of every uber-rich, confident and
                                powerful "Richijou" (Chairman) of the school. I can think of several
                                in my head, from Sukeban Deka and Hana no Asuka-gumi, but there have
                                been many others. My favorite characteristc is when she laughs
                                hysterically into a pillow at someone else's drama.

                                Shizuku is meant to be seen as the embodiment of loyalty, all 47
                                Ronin bundled up into one. :-) Personally, what I love best about
                                her is that she wears Hitsugi's sword, as well as her own.

                                When you all finally do see them fight...I will say only this....

                                Do not be drinking anything. Or you *will* spew it across the page.

                              • Firia L
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 9, 2008
                                  I'm kinda curious how Yuri this series is. I hate getting a book thinking the Yuri element is going to be strong, and finding out that It's yuri only because one character is a lesbian. Bah!

                                  So yeah, what's the Yuri factor of Hayate Cross Blade? :)

                                  -L

                                  To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: Hynavian@...
                                  Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:02:00 +0000
                                  Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Hayate Cross Blade

                                  Hi all,

                                  My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
                                  than never, right? (:

                                  I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
                                  felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
                                  the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
                                  bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
                                  onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
                                  since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
                                  be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
                                  (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

                                  I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

                                  Cheers,
                                  Lindy

                                  See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here
                                • Haruchin
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 12, 2008
                                    Hmmm...

                                    Tricky one. HxB is full of shinyuu (very very close sisters in arms) by the nature of the school's fighting system, but the level of "actual" yuri is debateable. There is certainly the one openly "likes girls" character - Kuga Jun (interestingly, played in the drama CDs by Megumi Toyoguchi, pretty well reprising her Satou Sei role in Marimite), and there's varying levels of akogare, lust and closeness being played out between all the fighting pairs. All the same, I wouldn't go into it expecting to find out and proud lesbian couples though.

                                    To tangent very slightly...

                                    Erica, are you planning to review the second drama CD? (Do you have it?) I've got it and listened to it, but my Japanese is still pretty dodgy (takes me 10 minutes per speech balloon for the manga - although my dictionary is getting a very thorough workout out of it), so I would be hesitant to try to review it for the good folks here. I'd love to hear what you thought.

                                    And in general - yay! It's fab to be able to read HxB in English - kudos to all the team that worked on it for the great translation and lovely reproduction. Now when's volume 2 out? :)

                                    Best,
                                    Haru

                                    To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: Firia_Lyta@...
                                    Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 22:30:01 -0800
                                    Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Re: Hayate Cross Blade

                                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                                    From: Hynavian@hotmail. com
                                    Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:02:00 +0000

                                    Hi all,

                                    My apologies for not being active in this group but it's better late
                                    than never, right? (:

                                    I read a few chapter of Hayate Cross Blade (raw) some time back and
                                    felt that it was a hilarious manga. Thus when I learn from Erica that
                                    the English version is out, I've placed my orders for it with my local
                                    bookstall. Sadly, it's not here yet but I'll be able to get my hands
                                    onto the translated version in about 2 weeks time. A good news is that
                                    since I'm pushing for the manga, my local bookstall (Kinokuniya) will
                                    be shipping extra copies and placing them for sale in their stall
                                    (those lucky shoppers =_=) LOL!

                                    I can't wait for the book to arrive. ^_^

                                    Cheers,
                                    Lindy

                                    See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here

                                    Click here for FREE customisable desktop wallpapers. Get them Now!
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 12, 2008
                                      To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: haruchin@...
                                      Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:49:34 +0000

                                      > Erica, are you planning to review the second drama CD? (Do you have it?) I've got it and listened to it, but my Japanese is still pretty dodgy (takes me 10 minutes per speech balloon for the manga - although my dictionary is getting a very thorough workout out of it), so I would be hesitant to try to review it for the good folks here. I'd love to hear what you thought.

                                      I've reviewed all three of the Drama CDs already, but I'm sure people who be perfectly happy to hear other opinions. :-)

                                      DCD 1: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2006/04/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-1.html

                                      DCD 2: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2007/12/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-volume-2.html

                                      DCD 3: http://okazu.blogspot.com/2008/07/drama-cd-hayate-x-blade-volume-3.html

                                      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                                      http://okazu.blogspot.com

                                      See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life Click here