Swest and Honey from Tokyopop (some spoilers)

  • sean@centragarden.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2005
      A new short-story collection line has started from Tokyopop called Passion Fruit. The first
      volume, by Mari Okazaki, is called Sweat and Honey and is very josei. It also has several yuri
      stories in it, of varying outcomes.

      Spoilers follow...

      In the title story, a girl's cousin comes over to visit and gradually her negative views on men
      begin to affect the girl, who ends the story by crawling under the covers with her after spurning
      her male lover. If it weren't played as totally serious and unromantic, it'd be sweet. But there's
      next to no comedy in this entire volume.

      The second story is about a shy repressed girl who takes her dog out walking and meets a girl
      who is a plant, basically a girl growing out of the ground. They bond, they angst, plant girl
      finds a male plant, and it's kinda not so much yuri as weird.

      The next story is about a high school girl who is resisting change, and her relationship with the
      single, 30-ish woman next door, who she's known since she was a kid. It has some yuri
      subtext, but is also the weakest story in the collection.

      The longest, best, and yuriest story in the collection is The Land Where Rain Falls, which
      takes up nearly half the book. The basic plot is that a shy girl goes to see her friend who is
      home 'sick'. The friend is trying to seduce her own brother, unsuccessfully. She decides a
      great way to do this is by snuggling with the shy girl and hoping he gets turned on by the
      sapphism.

      The shy girl goes along with this as she has a crush on the guy, though she gets more and
      more weirded out as the friend basically goes all the way with her in an effort to entice her
      brother. In the end, the brother asks out the shy girl, but things don't really click. The ending
      shows the two girls together, but also talks about this being the sort of thing that's only done
      temporarily in high school as a thing. As such, it reminds me of a lot of modern 'yuri'. :D

      The final story is short, het, and dull, and involved Yellow Magic Orchestra.

      I do recommend this collection, despite my glib retelling of the stories. The art is very good
      and 'josei'ish, and the stories are well-told. There's a lack of humor, and the ambiguity
      frustrated me a bit, but then it fit the mood. Glad to see Tokyopop putting out something this
      shoujo, and devoting a line to it. (the next volume doesn't seem to have yuri by the
      description, and features a different author).

      --SG
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2005
        >From: sean@...
        >To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Yuricon] Swest and Honey from Tokyopop (some spoilers)
        >Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:26:20 -0500
        >

        >A new short-story collection line has started from Tokyopop called Passion
        >Fruit. The first
        >volume, by Mari Okazaki, is called Sweat and Honey and is very josei. It
        >also has several yuri
        >stories in it, of varying outcomes.

        <snip spoilers>

        >I do recommend this collection, despite my glib retelling of the stories.
        >The art is very good
        >and 'josei'ish, and the stories are well-told. There's a lack of humor,
        >and the ambiguity
        >frustrated me a bit, but then it fit the mood. Glad to see Tokyopop
        >putting out something this
        >shoujo, and devoting a line to it. (the next volume doesn't seem to have
        >yuri by the
        >description, and features a different author).

        Bloody shame Tokyopop can't find any josei yuri that isn't grim, though. :-)

        Thanks for the heads up, Sean - I'll definitely look out for it!