Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes from the third Marimite novel, Part 2

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
      >From: Resop <resop2@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

      >Now, there is another scenario that I have thought of, based on Touko's
      >self-image as a scheme-queen (she hasn't done the shoujo villain laugh
      >yet, but I'm sure that she has practiced it). The idea would be that
      >the girl who is helping Yoshino learn Kenpo decides she wants to help
      >out the yamayurikai (so she can be closer to Rei). Since, obviously,
      >Yoshino
      >would never accept her as a petite soeur and Yumi would never accept
      >Touko as her petite soeur (stay away from my grand soeur you hussy)
      >Touko comes up with the scheme where Yoshino takes Touko and Yumi
      >takes the Judo girl.
      >
      >Admittedly, not an idea anyone would be happy with, but one that
      >Touko would be sure to consider.

      It might make a nice fanfic, but I have several objections to it being
      anything like a possible storyline:

      It would be starkly out of character for Yoshino. Yoshino has no reason to
      help Touko and, in fact, disliked and suspected her long before Yumi even
      realized that there was a reason to. Not to mention the fact that, I can't
      remember her name, sadly, the girl you are referring to, (Chiharu maybe?)
      shows no real sign of being Yoshino's rival, per se, but is clearly dead set
      on trying to emulate Rei, rather than become her soeur.

      And as Yumi is Yoshino's friend, I seriously doubt she would choose the one
      even slightly potential rival in the whole of the school for Rei's attention
      for her soeur.

      I also don't see the ROI for Touko in this. Touko has all the access to
      Sachiko that she wants, since she is family, and Yumi has already invited
      her to help the Yamayurikai, so she is in and out of the Rose Mansion all
      the time. In fact, if anything, Touko seems rather unenthused about helping
      the YYK at the end of Parasol wo Sagashite. So conniving to become a member
      makes no sense.

    • runaway_donkey
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
        > Frankly, I don't think Sei had enough time to realize whether she
        was gay or
        > not. She lost Shiori immediately after kissing her, so for her, it
        was
        > possible that the next year was when she might really start to
        understand
        > what was going on with her.

        alright, perhaps "out" was too strong a term. what i meant was, i
        believe that by the time of the novels, sei has achieved a level of
        acceptance about her attraction to women. she generally puts
        herself in the same boat as kashiwagi (although they dislike each
        other immensely). and she doesn't seem particularly interested in
        men. remember, she asks yumi to evaluate kashiwagi's
        attractiveness, since she apparently has no eye for such things.

        > >My question is this, in Japanese are there two different words for
        > >female mistress and male mistress? After all, maybe the Ogasawara
        > >"tradition" isn't to take female mistresses at all?
        >
        > The text was fairly specific - Sachiko's father has "another
        woman" as do
        > all the other men in the family.

        i think that it does specifically say women in reference to
        sachiko's father and grandfather. when kashiwagi is talking to
        sachiko, he actually says that he thinks the two of them are alike
        (i'm not sure what that implies...) and they should take lovers,
        using either the word koibito or aijin, i forget which. neither is
        particularly gender specific. as for other words, the only thing
        that comes to mind is the word nigou-san, "ñ†‚³‚ñ, which means #2 or
        something like that. also not necessarily gender specific, but i've
        only heard it in reference to women, unlike koibito or aijin.

        > To me it seems that
        > Yuuki/Kasahiwagi is meant as a foil for Yumi/Sachiko - one
        relationship
        > frought with emotional intensity, the other played for laughs,
        like a clown
        > parodying a dramatic actor as he recites his lines.

        i always thought that the yuuki/kashiwagi relationship was more of a
        parallel with the yumi/sei relationship. kinda like in the new
        years side story.

        > You mean Yumi and Touko? I don't think that's likely to happen at
        all. My
        > guess is that Yumi will pick someone who has not yet appeared in
        the novels
        > at all - an entirely new character.

        i agree that konno might just create a new character to be yumi's
        souer. neither touko nor kanako have outright declared that they
        are candidates for the position, and i've heard (haven't read that
        far either...) that in one of the later novels, kanako tells sachiko
        that if yumi were to ask her, she would refuse. could go either
        way. i'm actually quite interested in what yoshino's gonna do.
        after all, she's made a bet with eriko that she will find a souer
        soon. but the only 1st years she seems to know are noriko, touko,
        and kanako. some people seem to think that yoshino might make a
        girl by the name of naitou shouko her souer. this is because
        shouko's (real) older sister, katsumi, was a rival of eriko's, and
        shouko and yoshino have some personality traits in common. however,
        shouko has more of a tie in with tsutako, so who knows how that will
        turn out.

        -alf
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
          >From: "runaway_donkey" <alf_the_donkey@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          on with her.

          >alright, perhaps "out" was too strong a term. what i meant was, i
          >believe that by the time of the novels, sei has achieved a level of
          >acceptance about her attraction to women.

          While I don't disagree, I'm not sure we have any real proof of this at all.
          :-) Other than that gut feeling thing, again.

          I'm looking forward to reading the bits where Kei and Sei intereact. God
          knows I'd *love* to have a short about Sei's life at college to over-analyze
          for lesban cues. LOL

          she generally puts
          >herself in the same boat as kashiwagi (although they dislike each
          >other immensely).

          I'll agree with that. Sei recognizes a gayboy when she sees him...although
          it's possible that she knew about Kashiwagi through Youko, a priori.

          In the New Year's Day manga, amusingly, Sei does to Yumi *exactly* what she
          warns Kashiwagi not to do to Yuuki - so yes, they are obviously similar
          types and Sei knows it.

          and she doesn't seem particularly interested in
          >men. remember, she asks yumi to evaluate kashiwagi's
          >attractiveness, since she apparently has no eye for such things.

          I think that was, rather, that Sei understood Yumi's natural sympathy for
          Sachiko and wanted to know whether Yumi approved. :-)

          >i think that it does specifically say women in reference to
          >sachiko's father and grandfather. when kashiwagi is talking to
          >sachiko, he actually says that he thinks the two of them are alike
          >(i'm not sure what that implies...)

          Could be anything, but remember, Sachiko isn't the only person who will have
          to marry for the family. Kashiwagi also has a duty to his family and doesnt'
          really have *any* possibility of marrying for love. He'll be expected to
          take a wife and have children, and his desire for me will have to be hidden
          from everyone else in his family. In that sense, Kashiwagi is a little lucky
          to have Schiko as his fiancee' - at least he doesn't have to hide it from
          her.

          Of course, *we* want it to mean that he sees Sachiko as being attracted to
          same sex partners as well. LOL But they are actually the same in other ways
          that make alot more sense.

          >i agree that konno might just create a new character to be yumi's
          >souer. neither touko nor kanako have outright declared that they
          >are candidates for the position, and i've heard (haven't read that
          >far either...) that in one of the later novels, kanako tells sachiko
          >that if yumi were to ask her, she would refuse. could go either
          >way. i'm actually quite interested in what yoshino's gonna do.
          >after all, she's made a bet with eriko that she will find a souer
          >soon. but the only 1st years she seems to know are noriko, touko,
          >and kanako. some people seem to think that yoshino might make a
          >girl by the name of naitou shouko her souer. this is because
          >shouko's (real) older sister, katsumi, was a rival of eriko's, and
          >shouko and yoshino have some personality traits in common. however,
          >shouko has more of a tie in with tsutako, so who knows how that will
          >turn out.

          Fan art says....Shouko's all about Tsutako. LOL