Re: [Yuricon] Re: Notes from the third Marimite novel, Part 2

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
      >From: Resop <resop2@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

      >My question is this, in Japanese are there two different words for
      >female mistress and male mistress? After all, maybe the Ogasawara
      >"tradition" isn't to take female mistresses at all?

      The text was fairly specific - Sachiko's father has "another woman" as do
      all the other men in the family.

      >That would explain why Suguru (the handsome idol of his all boys
      >school) would pick up Yuuki's younger brother at an arcade (if memory
      >serves) right before New Years.

      I don't think we need a bigger explanation for that outside of Kashiwagi
      liking Yuuki and liking to tease him even more. To me it seems that
      Yuuki/Kasahiwagi is meant as a foil for Yumi/Sachiko - one relationship
      frought with emotional intensity, the other played for laughs, like a clown
      parodying a dramatic actor as he recites his lines.

      >On the other hand, I could see Yuuki being "pressured" into making
      >Sachiko's other relation (the pig-tailed heel girl) her petite soeur.

      You mean Yumi and Touko? I don't think that's likely to happen at all. My
      guess is that Yumi will pick someone who has not yet appeared in the novels
      at all - an entirely new character. (I base this solely on my irrational
      belief that Konno Oyuki writes pretty much exactly what I would write in any
      given situation, and *I* would have Yumi pick someone entirely new. LOL)

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erin Subramanian <esubramanian1@c...>
        wrote:
        > what is a dooky wrote:
        >
        > >Well, there's no evidence that any of the girls (apart from Shiori)
        > >are actually Catholic.
        > >
        > What about Shimako? I seem to recall that she's Catholic (or some
        other
        > kind of Christian? I can never remember ^^) despite being part of a
        > family that runs a Buddhist temple.

        She says she wants to be a nun, which while not being an exclusively
        Catholic thing, is certainly more likely to be Catholic than, say,
        Anglican. :-)

        It's true that Shimako tells us (by way of Noriko) that she wants or
        wanted to become a nun, (and here I'm drawing only on the anime as I
        haven't gotten this far in the novels and the manga hasn't gotten here
        either) we don't really see any sign of particular piety or
        "religiousness" in Shimako - certainly not the fervor for prayer that
        we saw in Shiori.

        (Which brings me to a point that I forgot to share re: the third
        novel. Sei tells us only the barest of details about Shiori, the same
        details we got in anime and manga - that her parents died while she
        was in middle school, that she lived with an uncle in Nagasaki then
        tranferred to Lillian. In the novel we learn only a few more things:
        Shiori's guardian in Tokyo is, in fact, our old buddy Saori, the
        school principal. That is why Shiori stays with her after she breaks
        up with Sei. The only other thing we learn is that Sei mentions how
        difficult, hard, painful, etc Shiori's life had been the last few
        years. Sei implies that Uncle was NOT a nice person and that Shiori
        was really, really glad to be away from Nagasaki. It is my opinion
        (based on nothing but gut feeling) that one of the reasons Shiori
        wanted so badly to become a nun was to escape her difficult life with
        that uncle - and to redeem it and give it some meaning. If she could
        tell herself that all her previous suffering brought her closer to
        God, then it would give the misery and pain some meaning. By turning
        her life to God, she could redeem it.

        Which is why I say, falling in love with Sei was the absolutely WORST
        possible thing that could have happened to Shiori. It cast into doubt
        every single thing she believed - and in a way that falling in love
        with a guy couldn't do. This was so so so against her convictions that
        it could only be seen as "one or the other." You can't be a pious
        Catholic and a lesbian - at least, not within Roman Catholic dogma.
        You can be a pious Catholic and a wife. You see the problem. Siori
        could only have *either* her redeemed life as a nun, *or* Sei. And, as
        Sei points out at the end of the book, they really had no future so
        she had to lose to Maria-sama....again.

        Also, her connection with Buddhism
        > is kind of a "dirty little secret" for her at school, as is Noriko's
        > Buddhism. To me, this would indicate that the religious orientation
        of
        > the school and its students isn't just a surface thing; unless
        Shimako
        > and Noriko are more worried about it than they should be?

        My gut feeling tells me that her desire to be a nun is kind of a
        childhood dream that became more important because she kept it hidden.
        The more of a secret it became, the more she would desire it.

        I'll have to wait until I get there, but I bet that once no one really
        cares if she wants to, she'll stop wanting to so much. :-)

        I'd guess that, yes, they are both worrying way too much. The power of
        a secret increases the longer you hide it.

        > Also, Yumi and the other students frequently pray at the Maria
        statue,
        > although that doesn't necessarily mean they're Christians in other
        respects.

        Yumi and Sei pray at a shrine on New Year's Day, too. :-) Doesn't make
        'em more Shinto. It's what you do, because, it's what you do. "Clap
        your hands and make a wish" said the tour guide. I thought it funny
        that he differentiated that from praying...which is essentially
        clapping your hands and making a wish. ;-)

        > In the Shiroki Hanabira arc, Sei seems to have some sort of belief
        in
        > Christianity, although I don't think she completely accepts it the
        way
        > Shiori and others do--she seems to be more of a skeptic.

        Very like most ex-Catholics, she isn't denying the existence of Mary
        and Jesus, just skeptical of the power they wield. I wouldn't think
        that makes her Christian, or not-Christian.

        Remember, Japan is still a country that is not monotheistic. Sei could
        well feel exactly the same about 3000 other gods. LOL "Sure, you're
        here - but what have you done for *me* today?"

        > I think in this case it has to do with running the family business,
        not
        > just securing the family fortune. But yes, I think it's at least
        > somewhat likely that Sachiko will end up married to Suguru.

        I agree. She's been raised her whole life completely inundated with
        duty to the family - this would be one more duty she has to fulfill.
        What are her options?

        They can
        > each have lovers on the side if they like, but I'm not sure how
        > comfortable Sachiko would be doing that (despite writing her doing
        > exactly that in a fanfic... lol).

        I'll have to track that one down... ;-)

        Sachiko may end up just not having any
        > real romantic/sexual relationships in her life. Aww. :(

        Something which is a lot more common today than people believe. I
        personally know several women who have married for reasons other than
        romance.

        I can see her having romance, but not taking a lover. Almost Heian of
        her, really. lol

        Hopefully she'll
        > still have Yumi, though...

        That's certainly one type of romance.

        It's very hard to imagine the kind of woman Sachiko will become. If
        she goes to school overseas, she might well come back with all sorts
        of bizarre radical ideas like her taking over the business herself, or
        wanting to marry for love.

        If she stays at Lillian, she will be surrounded by lesbians who are
        probably all incredibly closeted, who almost all go off and get
        married, then have love affairs with women on the side.

        If she goes elsewhere, she'll be killing time before she is married to
        Kashiwagi and cloistered in her house until she has to be dragged out
        as an ornament.

        There's not a whole lot of scenarios in which I can see her ever
        freeing herself from family obligations.

        > >As for the others (and leaving aside the arguments over the
        validity
        > >of such categorisation), it's hard to say whether they're gay or
        > >straight unless they have a declared love interest. Which puts Sei
        > >into the gay category and Eriko into the straight category, with
        > >everyone else sort of hovering in between.

        "Springtime of youth," yadda, yadda... :-) I think it is no
        coincidence that the bulk of anime and manga have characters in this
        age group - the sexual ambiguity is exactly what makes it such a free
        time.

        What fun, pointless conjecturing about the sexuality of words on a
        page. :-) Umberto Eco says that when a story begins to reach past
        itself, the characters are recreated and analyzed as if they were
        real, re-written and re-structured by a participating audience, then
        that story is "literature." :-)

      • Resop
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
            >From: Resop <resop2@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

            >Now, there is another scenario that I have thought of, based on Touko's
            >self-image as a scheme-queen (she hasn't done the shoujo villain laugh
            >yet, but I'm sure that she has practiced it). The idea would be that
            >the girl who is helping Yoshino learn Kenpo decides she wants to help
            >out the yamayurikai (so she can be closer to Rei). Since, obviously,
            >Yoshino
            >would never accept her as a petite soeur and Yumi would never accept
            >Touko as her petite soeur (stay away from my grand soeur you hussy)
            >Touko comes up with the scheme where Yoshino takes Touko and Yumi
            >takes the Judo girl.
            >
            >Admittedly, not an idea anyone would be happy with, but one that
            >Touko would be sure to consider.

            It might make a nice fanfic, but I have several objections to it being
            anything like a possible storyline:

            It would be starkly out of character for Yoshino. Yoshino has no reason to
            help Touko and, in fact, disliked and suspected her long before Yumi even
            realized that there was a reason to. Not to mention the fact that, I can't
            remember her name, sadly, the girl you are referring to, (Chiharu maybe?)
            shows no real sign of being Yoshino's rival, per se, but is clearly dead set
            on trying to emulate Rei, rather than become her soeur.

            And as Yumi is Yoshino's friend, I seriously doubt she would choose the one
            even slightly potential rival in the whole of the school for Rei's attention
            for her soeur.

            I also don't see the ROI for Touko in this. Touko has all the access to
            Sachiko that she wants, since she is family, and Yumi has already invited
            her to help the Yamayurikai, so she is in and out of the Rose Mansion all
            the time. In fact, if anything, Touko seems rather unenthused about helping
            the YYK at the end of Parasol wo Sagashite. So conniving to become a member
            makes no sense.

          • runaway_donkey
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2005
              > Frankly, I don't think Sei had enough time to realize whether she
              was gay or
              > not. She lost Shiori immediately after kissing her, so for her, it
              was
              > possible that the next year was when she might really start to
              understand
              > what was going on with her.

              alright, perhaps "out" was too strong a term. what i meant was, i
              believe that by the time of the novels, sei has achieved a level of
              acceptance about her attraction to women. she generally puts
              herself in the same boat as kashiwagi (although they dislike each
              other immensely). and she doesn't seem particularly interested in
              men. remember, she asks yumi to evaluate kashiwagi's
              attractiveness, since she apparently has no eye for such things.

              > >My question is this, in Japanese are there two different words for
              > >female mistress and male mistress? After all, maybe the Ogasawara
              > >"tradition" isn't to take female mistresses at all?
              >
              > The text was fairly specific - Sachiko's father has "another
              woman" as do
              > all the other men in the family.

              i think that it does specifically say women in reference to
              sachiko's father and grandfather. when kashiwagi is talking to
              sachiko, he actually says that he thinks the two of them are alike
              (i'm not sure what that implies...) and they should take lovers,
              using either the word koibito or aijin, i forget which. neither is
              particularly gender specific. as for other words, the only thing
              that comes to mind is the word nigou-san, "ñ†‚³‚ñ, which means #2 or
              something like that. also not necessarily gender specific, but i've
              only heard it in reference to women, unlike koibito or aijin.

              > To me it seems that
              > Yuuki/Kasahiwagi is meant as a foil for Yumi/Sachiko - one
              relationship
              > frought with emotional intensity, the other played for laughs,
              like a clown
              > parodying a dramatic actor as he recites his lines.

              i always thought that the yuuki/kashiwagi relationship was more of a
              parallel with the yumi/sei relationship. kinda like in the new
              years side story.

              > You mean Yumi and Touko? I don't think that's likely to happen at
              all. My
              > guess is that Yumi will pick someone who has not yet appeared in
              the novels
              > at all - an entirely new character.

              i agree that konno might just create a new character to be yumi's
              souer. neither touko nor kanako have outright declared that they
              are candidates for the position, and i've heard (haven't read that
              far either...) that in one of the later novels, kanako tells sachiko
              that if yumi were to ask her, she would refuse. could go either
              way. i'm actually quite interested in what yoshino's gonna do.
              after all, she's made a bet with eriko that she will find a souer
              soon. but the only 1st years she seems to know are noriko, touko,
              and kanako. some people seem to think that yoshino might make a
              girl by the name of naitou shouko her souer. this is because
              shouko's (real) older sister, katsumi, was a rival of eriko's, and
              shouko and yoshino have some personality traits in common. however,
              shouko has more of a tie in with tsutako, so who knows how that will
              turn out.

              -alf
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 4, 2005
                >From: "runaway_donkey" <alf_the_donkey@...>
                >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                on with her.

                >alright, perhaps "out" was too strong a term. what i meant was, i
                >believe that by the time of the novels, sei has achieved a level of
                >acceptance about her attraction to women.

                While I don't disagree, I'm not sure we have any real proof of this at all.
                :-) Other than that gut feeling thing, again.

                I'm looking forward to reading the bits where Kei and Sei intereact. God
                knows I'd *love* to have a short about Sei's life at college to over-analyze
                for lesban cues. LOL

                she generally puts
                >herself in the same boat as kashiwagi (although they dislike each
                >other immensely).

                I'll agree with that. Sei recognizes a gayboy when she sees him...although
                it's possible that she knew about Kashiwagi through Youko, a priori.

                In the New Year's Day manga, amusingly, Sei does to Yumi *exactly* what she
                warns Kashiwagi not to do to Yuuki - so yes, they are obviously similar
                types and Sei knows it.

                and she doesn't seem particularly interested in
                >men. remember, she asks yumi to evaluate kashiwagi's
                >attractiveness, since she apparently has no eye for such things.

                I think that was, rather, that Sei understood Yumi's natural sympathy for
                Sachiko and wanted to know whether Yumi approved. :-)

                >i think that it does specifically say women in reference to
                >sachiko's father and grandfather. when kashiwagi is talking to
                >sachiko, he actually says that he thinks the two of them are alike
                >(i'm not sure what that implies...)

                Could be anything, but remember, Sachiko isn't the only person who will have
                to marry for the family. Kashiwagi also has a duty to his family and doesnt'
                really have *any* possibility of marrying for love. He'll be expected to
                take a wife and have children, and his desire for me will have to be hidden
                from everyone else in his family. In that sense, Kashiwagi is a little lucky
                to have Schiko as his fiancee' - at least he doesn't have to hide it from
                her.

                Of course, *we* want it to mean that he sees Sachiko as being attracted to
                same sex partners as well. LOL But they are actually the same in other ways
                that make alot more sense.

                >i agree that konno might just create a new character to be yumi's
                >souer. neither touko nor kanako have outright declared that they
                >are candidates for the position, and i've heard (haven't read that
                >far either...) that in one of the later novels, kanako tells sachiko
                >that if yumi were to ask her, she would refuse. could go either
                >way. i'm actually quite interested in what yoshino's gonna do.
                >after all, she's made a bet with eriko that she will find a souer
                >soon. but the only 1st years she seems to know are noriko, touko,
                >and kanako. some people seem to think that yoshino might make a
                >girl by the name of naitou shouko her souer. this is because
                >shouko's (real) older sister, katsumi, was a rival of eriko's, and
                >shouko and yoshino have some personality traits in common. however,
                >shouko has more of a tie in with tsutako, so who knows how that will
                >turn out.

                Fan art says....Shouko's all about Tsutako. LOL