Re: Mai-HiME ep 21 (spoilers!!)

  • ivevei
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 26, 2005
      > In the sincere desire of getting back to talking about feelings between
      > pretty girls.

      Seconded.. ^_^ SPOILER continuation

      > Okay, putting in spoiler space this time
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > What I've been wondering about is they decided early in the anime to
      make
      > Shizuru a HiME (she isn't in the manga) and in addition, make her
      feelings more
      > integral to the plot.

      Definitely all in place from the beginning. The execution is far far
      too good in the last few eps. I think we are way past the age when
      anime series would run 49 eps and writers would scramble to come up
      with "filler" that was farmed out to North Korean sweatshops or
      something and then rush to tie up a bunch of hanging loose ends in 3
      eps, while running on a shoestring budget (Nadia island eps, anyone?).

      These days, funding for productions is a lot more disciplined, so I
      think every (major) project has each and every episode pretty much
      planned out. As should be, because storytelling is one of anime's fine
      points, both on the overall and on the nitty gritty level.

      Anyway, when Natsuki is using Shizuru's laptop in ep 3 and 12 (can't
      remember more), you can see that Shizuru already knows what's going
      on. Ah, she was just trying to protect Natsuki... *^_^*

      > Was she "comic relief" at first? Especially with the "groping
      Natsuki at

      She was a plot point, it's all integral to setting those two up for
      the fall... :)

      > the lingerie store" thing in the radio drama. (Natsuki's
      positive reaction
      > to that strikes me as this being AU, though.)

      Must've been an extremely memorable experience.

      > Buuuuut....now they're taking it seriously.

      At this point, it would be good to go back and rewatch the whole
      series, review the hints and see how they built it up. Personally I
      don't have the patience though, I don't really like Mai-HiME, I just
      like Shizuru ^^;;
    • Jen
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 8 6:50 AM
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ashara Nymeros" <ashara@p...> wrote:
        > Uh, a bunch of random replies here:
        >

        > > > SPOILERS
        > > > *
        > > > *
        > > > *
        > > > *
        > > > *
        > > > *

        > I will say that I will be VERY upset if Natsuki gets defeated, cause
        as pointed out before, that wipes out Shizuru with her and then
        Natsuki gets to die as well. -_-;

        My opinion on yuri in mass anime media right now being what it is, a
        tearful wail of loss in the rain by Gun-Girl is all but guaranteed. -_-

        Ugh. One marathon down, one (?) more to go. The catpack were psyched
        from tonight's fun (#18-21), and we're all popping back here after
        work tomorrow for episodes 22-25.

        But for me, all this staring at my glowing monitor, reading all the
        old Yuricon mY hyMEN posts in order (Gee, I *AM* the only one who
        reads them from the groups.yahoo website), just so I know what
        everyone's been talking about all this time... UGH. Reading all this
        text on a CRT, I can *feel* the blood behind my eyeballs. I need an
        LCD.

        Now is it me, or is Nun-Girl and Maid-Girl the most unpopular HIMe's?
        With Nun-Girl's treachery, perpetual "woe is me" whining, and her
        refusal to kneel before the Big Momma Goddess Yuri, combined with
        Maid-Girl's cliche anime-girl looks and personality "desu~uuuuu!", and
        you've got two deserving candidates for the lauded 'Flame Boot up yo
        Bum' award.

        (Plus, is Midori's MIP her Doctor galpal, or her entire class? Are we
        gonna see Mai's entire class go up in fairy dust? If it's the Doc, I
        think their relationship's been pretty much shortchanged by the
        series. Still, not enough time for everyone, I guess.)

        Kisses XXOOXX
        Jen