Re: [Yuricon] Glossary of Terms - at least partially on-topic

  • Resop
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
      --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

      > I thought this might be of interest to the folks here - we're
      > uploading a basic glossary of terms related to anime and manga genres,
      > with definitions for the many genres/names for yaoi and yuri to the
      > Onna! website (http://www.onnafest.com).
      >
      > I know there are always questions about terminology and what various
      > genre names mean, so I thought I'd pass it on to you folks. When the
      > page goes live, I'll send the link out - feel free to link to it and
      > disseminate it where you will. :-) All the definitions are *current*
      > (which, in at least one case is quite important!) and the
      > pronounciations should correct.
      >
      > In the meantime, with my great thanks to Erin S. for proofing this,
      > and Paulette H for the original version, here's the Glossary of Terms:

      If femmeslash and slash are used to describe works where characters from
      western shows are thrown together in non-canonical relationships, then
      what would the term be for throwing anime characters together?

      I have heard "cross" used in this capacity, as in Serina x Rei. Is that an
      official term?

      Craig
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
        >From: Resop <resop2@...>
        >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

        >If femmeslash and slash are used to describe works where characters from
        >western shows are thrown together in non-canonical relationships, then
        >what would the term be for throwing anime characters together?

        Usually it's yaoi or yuri (or one of the related terms) fanfic, here in the
        west.

        I can't say that I've ever seen a single word in English that represents
        just anime character non-canonical fanfic. And slash and femmeslash aren't
        any and all non-canonical relationships, they are specifically gay and
        lesbian ones.

        (Fanfic is called "shousetsu" (i.e, short stories, or novels) in Japan. If
        we get into the complexities of how Japanese fans label their stories, we
        could be listing stuff for *decades*.)

        >I have heard "cross" used in this capacity, as in Serina x Rei. Is that an
        >official term?

        There's no official terms for any of this. Who would decide? :-)

        But in the above case, most folks would call it yuri or shoujoai fanfic.

        PS - Usagi x Rei, or Serena x Raye. Let's get our versions straight. LOL
      • kanariya
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
          Something I've always wondered about is this (and I haven't managed to
          find it by myself as of yet): if 'biseinen' is the older male
          equivalent of 'bishounen', then what is the older female equivalent of
          'bishoujo'? I didn't notice the answer while I went through the
          glossary; forgive me if it's already there. But I've always been
          curious about this. ^_^ Likewise, is there a term for a type of
          comics, equivalent to 'seinen' and 'shounen', that reflects comics
          targetted to an older audience than 'shoujo'?

          CW

          elsewherecw@...
          AIM: ElsewhereCW
          LJ: elsewherecw
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
            On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:09:12 -0000, "atheniag"
            <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

            > Mook:
            > Pron. (moo-ku) Short for "monthly book," mooks are monthly manga
            > magazines. Printed on cheap paper and running as many as two-dozen
            > serialized manga stories simultaneously, mook are a popular way to
            > read manga in Japan. Related term: Manga

            I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g., a
            lot of anime artbooks).
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kanariya <kanariya@s...> wrote:

              > Something I've always wondered about is this (and I haven't managed
              > find it by myself as of yet): if 'biseinen' is the older male
              > equivalent of 'bishounen', then what is the older female equivalent
              of
              > 'bishoujo'?

              Bijin

              I didn't notice the answer while I went through the
              > glossary; forgive me if it's already there. But I've always been
              > curious about this. ^_^ Likewise, is there a term for a type of
              > comics, equivalent to 'seinen' and 'shounen', that reflects comics
              > targetted to an older audience than 'shoujo'?

              Yes. The Book Off comic store labels them as "otona" or "adult"

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@h...> wrote:

                > I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g.,
                > lot of anime artbooks).

                Very few of the artbooks I have seen are in magazine format...can you
                give me an example?

                The descriptions I have read make the "monthly book" definition
                specifically. Most of the mooks are magazine format, so you're right
                there.

                Most of the fans I know who don;t know what they are called call them
                something like "those phone book manga magazines." :-)

              • Johann Chua
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                  On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 02:23:24 -0000, "atheniag"
                  <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@h...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g.,

                  > > lot of anime artbooks).
                  >
                  > Very few of the artbooks I have seen are in magazine format...can you
                  > give me an example?

                  Secret of Blue Water Roman Album
                  Mamono Hunter Yohko Kanketsu-hen
                  Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko Animedia Special

                  The last two have Gakken Mook on the cover.

                  It's my understanding that Roman Album is Tokuma Shoten's brand for
                  mooks.

                  > The descriptions I have read make the "monthly book" definition
                  > specifically. Most of the mooks are magazine format, so you're right
                  > there.

                  Just remembered that Yuri Shimai is labeled mook as well, but it's
                  quarterly, not monthly.

                  > Most of the fans I know who don;t know what they are called call them
                  > something like "those phone book manga magazines." :-)

                  Same here.
                • kanariya
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                    >Bijin

                    Hm, that's interesting...I'd always thought that was the equivalent of
                    'babe' or 'beautiful person' and could apply to either sex. ^^;

                    Same with Otona; I thought it referred to adult manga designed for
                    either sex. I was looking for something more specific to women.

                    CW

                    elsewherecw@...
                    AIM: ElsewhereCW
                    LJ: elsewherecw
                  • Johann Chua
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                      A quick search for "mook" on jpqueen.com turns up magazines and
                      artbooks. Most of the magazines seem to be heavy on the high-quality
                      color pages making them more like artbooks.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kanariya <kanariya@s...> wrote:
                        > >Bijin
                        >
                        > Hm, that's interesting...I'd always thought that was the equivalent
                        of
                        > 'babe' or 'beautiful person' and could apply to either sex. ^^;

                        It *could*, but its far more often applied to women.

                        > Same with Otona; I thought it referred to adult manga designed for
                        > either sex. I was looking for something more specific to women.

                        Josei is as "adult" as manga catagories go for women.

                        After that, it's just manga for grown-ups, period.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@h...> wrote:
                          > A quick search for "mook" on jpqueen.com turns up magazines and
                          > artbooks. Most of the magazines seem to be heavy on the
                          high-quality
                          > color pages making them more like artbooks.

                          Interesting. In the Japanese bookstores that I frequent, mooks are the
                          monthly manga magazines, and the glossy monthlies are simply
                          magazines.

                        • Shimako Toudou
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                            On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:17:51 +0800, Johann Chua <johannchua@...> wrote:

                            > On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:09:12 -0000, "atheniag"
                            > <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Mook:
                            > > Pron. (moo-ku) Short for "monthly book," mooks are monthly manga
                            > > magazines. Printed on cheap paper and running as many as two-dozen
                            > > serialized manga stories simultaneously, mook are a popular way to
                            > > read manga in Japan. Related term: Manga
                            >
                            > I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g., a
                            > lot of anime artbooks).

                            Yes, and from buying alot of mooks over the years, my experience is
                            that they are not printed on cheap paper, but on nicer, often heavier
                            weight paper than typical magazines. The phonebook manga printed on
                            cheap paper is called zasshi.
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                              wrote:

                              > Yes, and from buying alot of mooks over the years, my experience is
                              > that they are not printed on cheap paper, but on nicer, often
                              heavier
                              > weight paper than typical magazines. The phonebook manga printed on
                              > cheap paper is called zasshi.

                              Thank you and Johann for the feedack on this. I'll make changes to the
                              Glossary online as soon as I have a sec. :-)

                            • shirobara12
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005

                                > Thank you and Johann for the feedack on this.

                                Hehe, yeah, Johann is reliable! :)

                                I guess I'll make a small contribution too:

                                > June:
                                > Pron. (joo-neh) June is the name of a seminal publication that
                                > features male/male relationships; the word came to be a synonym
                                > for Boys' Love stories. The term is now outdated. Related
                                > terms: Boys' Love; Yaoi; Shounen-ai; Aestheticism
                                >
                                > Hentai:
                                > Pron. (hen-tie) Also called "H", or "Ero". Hentai series are
                                > sexually explicit.

                                Firstly, H comes before J, therefore Hentai comes before June.

                                Secondly, your definition of hentai is actually the definition of
                                ecchi. Ecchi (or H) and hentai are not synonymous!

                                Ecchi is sexual. If something is just ecchi, then it's about
                                normal "plain vanilla" sex (usually hetero, but I think simple
                                sex stories of the yuri and yaoi kind are just ecchi too).
                                Everything with some explicit sex in it qualifies as ecchi!

                                Hentai is only for kinky stuff: BDSM, tentacles, etc.

                                Eg: Urotsukidoji, La Blue Girl or Dragon Pink are hentai, but
                                Slut Girl or Doukyuusei are just ecchi (and if you call them hentai
                                when Japanese are listening, they will look at you funny).

                                White Rose
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                                  >From: "shirobara12" <shirobara12@...>

                                  >I guess I'll make a small contribution too:

                                  >Firstly, H comes before J, therefore Hentai comes before June.

                                  ya got me there. :-)

                                  >Secondly, your definition of hentai is actually the definition of
                                  >ecchi. Ecchi (or H) and hentai are not synonymous!
                                  >
                                  >Ecchi is sexual. If something is just ecchi, then it's about
                                  >normal "plain vanilla" sex (usually hetero, but I think simple
                                  >sex stories of the yuri and yaoi kind are just ecchi too).
                                  >Everything with some explicit sex in it qualifies as ecchi!
                                  >
                                  >Hentai is only for kinky stuff: BDSM, tentacles, etc.

                                  Got a source for this?

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005

                                    Duh on me. This should have been:

                                    > Got a source for this? I'm always interested in finding good
                                    sources. (It's the librarian in me)

                                    And, of course - thanks everyone for the help! :-)

                                    The problem still being that, by October 1/2 the terms here will be
                                    dead in the water. LOL

                                  • Jeyl
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 9, 2005
                                      What luck. When it comes to buying anime on dvd, Best Buy is both the
                                      stupidest and greatest place to get it. Of all the Best Buys here in
                                      Orlando, none of them had Vol. 4 of R.O.D. the TV. The computers at
                                      each store said that they had at least 6 copies available! Now, three
                                      weeks later, I stumble across R.O.D. Vol. 5 on the anime shelf, and a
                                      sudden hammer hit me over the head. What is going on? Vol. 5 isn't due
                                      out for another two weeks! And there still isn't any sign of Vol. 4!

                                      Spoilers!

                                      Spoilers!

                                      One more time for safety.

                                      Spoilers!

                                      Since I had to buy Vol. 4 at a very expensive store somewhere in a
                                      little town called Down Town Disney, I had no problems in quickly
                                      watching Vol. 5. All I can say is this. Poor Yomiko. All these things
                                      she has done over the years that have brought nothing but bad things to
                                      the world, and all she wants to do is make things better. What better
                                      way to do that with only Anita to help her out? Especially now that she
                                      officially blames her for her painful memories that still bother her.
                                      Oh, that moment at the end of Episode 20 still hurt the big one. I
                                      think I can safely say that Anita was simply over reacting. Honestly,
                                      she can't go on like this forever. I've seen that happen in anime
                                      already (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. The ending for that was
                                      more scarier and disturbing than the ending to Evangelion!). Downer
                                      things aside, the most exciting part of the whole package didn't happen
                                      till I opened the DVD case. I was so exited to see what the next lovely
                                      pencil board design was going to be that would soon be bestowed upon
                                      Erica. Simply put, I'm laughing about what she has to say about it
                                      already. This makes the Vol. 4 pencil board look like a Care Bears book
                                      cover. The other side of the board that features Nancy is kind of cute
                                      once you spot Yomiko reflected on the locker door mirror. Cute little
                                      Yuri potential there. Much more bearable than the "other" side of the
                                      board!

                                      Thank you, and good luck.
                                      Jeyl
                                    • Jen
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jeyl <theo@v...> wrote:

                                        > "I was so excited to see what the next lovely pencil board design
                                        was going to be..."

                                        Oh why why WHY couldn't they have made a Pencil Board of the
                                        aut16400-BIG.jpg poster (See Yuricon Files)? That would be SUCH a
                                        treasure! So much more than the inevitable Hisa-chan "licking my
                                        melting ice-cream" PB we know is coming. -_-

                                        (By the way, I still have the 3000x4300 scan I made of that poster, in
                                        case anyone wants a bigger version.)

                                        Kisses XXOOXX
                                        Jen
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                                          > Oh why why WHY couldn't they have made a Pencil Board of the
                                          > aut16400-BIG.jpg poster (See Yuricon Files)?

                                          Yeah, let's all write Geneon and complain! (And then I'd get a C&D
                                          letter from them and it would all go downhill from there. LOL)

                                          The book isn't quite right, you know - Sean Gaffney co-wrote the story
                                          with me, so his name ought to be on the cover too. :-)

                                        • Rayna Darkstorm
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                            I realize this is a bit late, but it really only just hit me...

                                            >Slash:
                                            >    Stories by fans of western series
                                            pairing male characters in
                                            >homosexual romantic or sexual relationships.
                                            The term comes from the
                                            >phrase "Kirk/Spock." Related terms: Femmeslash;
                                            Yaoi; Shounen-ai;
                                            >June; Aestheticism

                                            As a Trekkie, I've got one thing to say about that pairing: Ew. Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew.

                                            Thanks so much for the mental image, which is rather graphic, due to my overactive imagination.

                                            Okay, I feel better now.

                                            - Rayna ^_~
                                          • Jen
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005

                                              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > Oh why why WHY couldn't they have made a Pencil Board of the
                                              > > aut16400-BIG.jpg poster (See Yuricon Files)?
                                              >
                                              > Yeah, let's all write Geneon and complain! (And then I'd get a C&D
                                              > letter from them and it would all go downhill from there. LOL)

                                              Me, I'd love for YuriCon to become a feared lobbying group, demanding
                                              US publishers bring us selected yuri works we deem worthy. Plus, the
                                              lovely atheniag could become gloriously corrupt, accepting yurilicious
                                              gifts from YuriCon members in exchange for the right word in the right
                                              ear. ^-^

                                              "As a loyal YuriCon member, I'd love it if you could demand Tokyopop
                                              publish YKK. Hey, why don't I SEND you the complete published works,
                                              including all novels, artbooks, posters and plushies? So you can...
                                              um... consider their worth, like. I could also throw in BEBE's Creole
                                              series (signed by Konno Oyuki), but only if you demand they also
                                              publish those Azumanga doujins where Sakaki gets done by the Cat. In
                                              hardcover."

                                              Ah, sweet corruption. Such a warm, fuzzy feeling. ^_^

                                              Kisses XXOOXX
                                              Jen
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                                                > Me, I'd love for YuriCon to become a feared lobbying group,
                                                demanding
                                                > US publishers bring us selected yuri works we deem worthy. Plus,
                                                the
                                                > lovely atheniag could become gloriously corrupt, accepting
                                                yurilicious
                                                > gifts from YuriCon members in exchange for the right word in the
                                                right
                                                > ear. ^-^

                                                Hey - that's what I want, too! LOL

                                                > "As a loyal YuriCon member, I'd love it if you could demand Tokyopop
                                                > publish YKK. Hey, why don't I SEND you the complete published
                                                works,
                                                > including all novels, artbooks, posters and plushies? So you can...
                                                > um... consider their worth, like. I could also throw in BEBE's
                                                Creole
                                                > series (signed by Konno Oyuki), but only if you demand they also
                                                > publish those Azumanga doujins where Sakaki gets done by the Cat.
                                                In
                                                > hardcover."

                                                ROTFL. You really worry me, Jen. You've memorized entire Okazu
                                                entries.

                                                > Ah, sweet corruption. Such a warm, fuzzy feeling. ^_^

                                                Don't forget the 20-something fangirls hanging on me in my infamous
                                                "grotto"...

                                              • John Merced
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 11, 2005
                                                  This message is aboutR.O.D. Vol 5. I live in orlando
                                                  and I was wondering which Best Buy it is that has Vol.
                                                  5, If someone wouldnt mind helping me out with this.
                                                  Especially if u live in orlando. So drop me line, if
                                                  anybody knows anything. Hey maybe we can become
                                                  friends. -John

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                • Jeyl
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 11, 2005
                                                    It's the Best buy near Winter Park. There is a KFC literally in the
                                                    parking lot. It's near Sameran road. Sorry I can't be more specific.

                                                    Thank you, and good luck
                                                    Jeyl