Re: [Yuricon] Glossary of Terms - at least partially on-topic

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
      >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>
      >To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Glossary of Terms - at least partially on-topic

      >...and I think it can be shortened somewhat, in the name of clarity and
      >aesthetics:
      >
      > > Anim´┐Ż:
      > > Pr0n.
      >
      > > Doujinshi:
      > > Pr0n.
      >
      > > Hentai:
      > > Pr0n.
      >
      > > Yaoi:
      > > Pr0n.
      >
      > > Yuri:
      > > Pr0n.

      Yes, that was basically what we were trying to avoid. :-)

    • Resop
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
        --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

        > I thought this might be of interest to the folks here - we're
        > uploading a basic glossary of terms related to anime and manga genres,
        > with definitions for the many genres/names for yaoi and yuri to the
        > Onna! website (http://www.onnafest.com).
        >
        > I know there are always questions about terminology and what various
        > genre names mean, so I thought I'd pass it on to you folks. When the
        > page goes live, I'll send the link out - feel free to link to it and
        > disseminate it where you will. :-) All the definitions are *current*
        > (which, in at least one case is quite important!) and the
        > pronounciations should correct.
        >
        > In the meantime, with my great thanks to Erin S. for proofing this,
        > and Paulette H for the original version, here's the Glossary of Terms:

        If femmeslash and slash are used to describe works where characters from
        western shows are thrown together in non-canonical relationships, then
        what would the term be for throwing anime characters together?

        I have heard "cross" used in this capacity, as in Serina x Rei. Is that an
        official term?

        Craig
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
          >From: Resop <resop2@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

          >If femmeslash and slash are used to describe works where characters from
          >western shows are thrown together in non-canonical relationships, then
          >what would the term be for throwing anime characters together?

          Usually it's yaoi or yuri (or one of the related terms) fanfic, here in the
          west.

          I can't say that I've ever seen a single word in English that represents
          just anime character non-canonical fanfic. And slash and femmeslash aren't
          any and all non-canonical relationships, they are specifically gay and
          lesbian ones.

          (Fanfic is called "shousetsu" (i.e, short stories, or novels) in Japan. If
          we get into the complexities of how Japanese fans label their stories, we
          could be listing stuff for *decades*.)

          >I have heard "cross" used in this capacity, as in Serina x Rei. Is that an
          >official term?

          There's no official terms for any of this. Who would decide? :-)

          But in the above case, most folks would call it yuri or shoujoai fanfic.

          PS - Usagi x Rei, or Serena x Raye. Let's get our versions straight. LOL
        • kanariya
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
            Something I've always wondered about is this (and I haven't managed to
            find it by myself as of yet): if 'biseinen' is the older male
            equivalent of 'bishounen', then what is the older female equivalent of
            'bishoujo'? I didn't notice the answer while I went through the
            glossary; forgive me if it's already there. But I've always been
            curious about this. ^_^ Likewise, is there a term for a type of
            comics, equivalent to 'seinen' and 'shounen', that reflects comics
            targetted to an older audience than 'shoujo'?

            CW

            elsewherecw@...
            AIM: ElsewhereCW
            LJ: elsewherecw
          • Johann Chua
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
              On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:09:12 -0000, "atheniag"
              <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

              > Mook:
              > Pron. (moo-ku) Short for "monthly book," mooks are monthly manga
              > magazines. Printed on cheap paper and running as many as two-dozen
              > serialized manga stories simultaneously, mook are a popular way to
              > read manga in Japan. Related term: Manga

              I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g., a
              lot of anime artbooks).
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kanariya <kanariya@s...> wrote:

                > Something I've always wondered about is this (and I haven't managed
                > find it by myself as of yet): if 'biseinen' is the older male
                > equivalent of 'bishounen', then what is the older female equivalent
                of
                > 'bishoujo'?

                Bijin

                I didn't notice the answer while I went through the
                > glossary; forgive me if it's already there. But I've always been
                > curious about this. ^_^ Likewise, is there a term for a type of
                > comics, equivalent to 'seinen' and 'shounen', that reflects comics
                > targetted to an older audience than 'shoujo'?

                Yes. The Book Off comic store labels them as "otona" or "adult"

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@h...> wrote:

                  > I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g.,
                  > lot of anime artbooks).

                  Very few of the artbooks I have seen are in magazine format...can you
                  give me an example?

                  The descriptions I have read make the "monthly book" definition
                  specifically. Most of the mooks are magazine format, so you're right
                  there.

                  Most of the fans I know who don;t know what they are called call them
                  something like "those phone book manga magazines." :-)

                • Johann Chua
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 02:23:24 -0000, "atheniag"
                    <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@h...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g.,

                    > > lot of anime artbooks).
                    >
                    > Very few of the artbooks I have seen are in magazine format...can you
                    > give me an example?

                    Secret of Blue Water Roman Album
                    Mamono Hunter Yohko Kanketsu-hen
                    Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko Animedia Special

                    The last two have Gakken Mook on the cover.

                    It's my understanding that Roman Album is Tokuma Shoten's brand for
                    mooks.

                    > The descriptions I have read make the "monthly book" definition
                    > specifically. Most of the mooks are magazine format, so you're right
                    > there.

                    Just remembered that Yuri Shimai is labeled mook as well, but it's
                    quarterly, not monthly.

                    > Most of the fans I know who don;t know what they are called call them
                    > something like "those phone book manga magazines." :-)

                    Same here.
                  • kanariya
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                      >Bijin

                      Hm, that's interesting...I'd always thought that was the equivalent of
                      'babe' or 'beautiful person' and could apply to either sex. ^^;

                      Same with Otona; I thought it referred to adult manga designed for
                      either sex. I was looking for something more specific to women.

                      CW

                      elsewherecw@...
                      AIM: ElsewhereCW
                      LJ: elsewherecw
                    • Johann Chua
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 6, 2005
                        A quick search for "mook" on jpqueen.com turns up magazines and
                        artbooks. Most of the magazines seem to be heavy on the high-quality
                        color pages making them more like artbooks.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, kanariya <kanariya@s...> wrote:
                          > >Bijin
                          >
                          > Hm, that's interesting...I'd always thought that was the equivalent
                          of
                          > 'babe' or 'beautiful person' and could apply to either sex. ^^;

                          It *could*, but its far more often applied to women.

                          > Same with Otona; I thought it referred to adult manga designed for
                          > either sex. I was looking for something more specific to women.

                          Josei is as "adult" as manga catagories go for women.

                          After that, it's just manga for grown-ups, period.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <johannchua@h...> wrote:
                            > A quick search for "mook" on jpqueen.com turns up magazines and
                            > artbooks. Most of the magazines seem to be heavy on the
                            high-quality
                            > color pages making them more like artbooks.

                            Interesting. In the Japanese bookstores that I frequent, mooks are the
                            monthly manga magazines, and the glossy monthlies are simply
                            magazines.

                          • Shimako Toudou
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                              On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:17:51 +0800, Johann Chua <johannchua@...> wrote:

                              > On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:09:12 -0000, "atheniag"
                              > <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Mook:
                              > > Pron. (moo-ku) Short for "monthly book," mooks are monthly manga
                              > > magazines. Printed on cheap paper and running as many as two-dozen
                              > > serialized manga stories simultaneously, mook are a popular way to
                              > > read manga in Japan. Related term: Manga
                              >
                              > I was under the impresion a mook is a book in magazine format (e.g., a
                              > lot of anime artbooks).

                              Yes, and from buying alot of mooks over the years, my experience is
                              that they are not printed on cheap paper, but on nicer, often heavier
                              weight paper than typical magazines. The phonebook manga printed on
                              cheap paper is called zasshi.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                                wrote:

                                > Yes, and from buying alot of mooks over the years, my experience is
                                > that they are not printed on cheap paper, but on nicer, often
                                heavier
                                > weight paper than typical magazines. The phonebook manga printed on
                                > cheap paper is called zasshi.

                                Thank you and Johann for the feedack on this. I'll make changes to the
                                Glossary online as soon as I have a sec. :-)

                              • shirobara12
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005

                                  > Thank you and Johann for the feedack on this.

                                  Hehe, yeah, Johann is reliable! :)

                                  I guess I'll make a small contribution too:

                                  > June:
                                  > Pron. (joo-neh) June is the name of a seminal publication that
                                  > features male/male relationships; the word came to be a synonym
                                  > for Boys' Love stories. The term is now outdated. Related
                                  > terms: Boys' Love; Yaoi; Shounen-ai; Aestheticism
                                  >
                                  > Hentai:
                                  > Pron. (hen-tie) Also called "H", or "Ero". Hentai series are
                                  > sexually explicit.

                                  Firstly, H comes before J, therefore Hentai comes before June.

                                  Secondly, your definition of hentai is actually the definition of
                                  ecchi. Ecchi (or H) and hentai are not synonymous!

                                  Ecchi is sexual. If something is just ecchi, then it's about
                                  normal "plain vanilla" sex (usually hetero, but I think simple
                                  sex stories of the yuri and yaoi kind are just ecchi too).
                                  Everything with some explicit sex in it qualifies as ecchi!

                                  Hentai is only for kinky stuff: BDSM, tentacles, etc.

                                  Eg: Urotsukidoji, La Blue Girl or Dragon Pink are hentai, but
                                  Slut Girl or Doukyuusei are just ecchi (and if you call them hentai
                                  when Japanese are listening, they will look at you funny).

                                  White Rose
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005
                                    >From: "shirobara12" <shirobara12@...>

                                    >I guess I'll make a small contribution too:

                                    >Firstly, H comes before J, therefore Hentai comes before June.

                                    ya got me there. :-)

                                    >Secondly, your definition of hentai is actually the definition of
                                    >ecchi. Ecchi (or H) and hentai are not synonymous!
                                    >
                                    >Ecchi is sexual. If something is just ecchi, then it's about
                                    >normal "plain vanilla" sex (usually hetero, but I think simple
                                    >sex stories of the yuri and yaoi kind are just ecchi too).
                                    >Everything with some explicit sex in it qualifies as ecchi!
                                    >
                                    >Hentai is only for kinky stuff: BDSM, tentacles, etc.

                                    Got a source for this?

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 7, 2005

                                      Duh on me. This should have been:

                                      > Got a source for this? I'm always interested in finding good
                                      sources. (It's the librarian in me)

                                      And, of course - thanks everyone for the help! :-)

                                      The problem still being that, by October 1/2 the terms here will be
                                      dead in the water. LOL

                                    • Jeyl
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 9, 2005
                                        What luck. When it comes to buying anime on dvd, Best Buy is both the
                                        stupidest and greatest place to get it. Of all the Best Buys here in
                                        Orlando, none of them had Vol. 4 of R.O.D. the TV. The computers at
                                        each store said that they had at least 6 copies available! Now, three
                                        weeks later, I stumble across R.O.D. Vol. 5 on the anime shelf, and a
                                        sudden hammer hit me over the head. What is going on? Vol. 5 isn't due
                                        out for another two weeks! And there still isn't any sign of Vol. 4!

                                        Spoilers!

                                        Spoilers!

                                        One more time for safety.

                                        Spoilers!

                                        Since I had to buy Vol. 4 at a very expensive store somewhere in a
                                        little town called Down Town Disney, I had no problems in quickly
                                        watching Vol. 5. All I can say is this. Poor Yomiko. All these things
                                        she has done over the years that have brought nothing but bad things to
                                        the world, and all she wants to do is make things better. What better
                                        way to do that with only Anita to help her out? Especially now that she
                                        officially blames her for her painful memories that still bother her.
                                        Oh, that moment at the end of Episode 20 still hurt the big one. I
                                        think I can safely say that Anita was simply over reacting. Honestly,
                                        she can't go on like this forever. I've seen that happen in anime
                                        already (Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. The ending for that was
                                        more scarier and disturbing than the ending to Evangelion!). Downer
                                        things aside, the most exciting part of the whole package didn't happen
                                        till I opened the DVD case. I was so exited to see what the next lovely
                                        pencil board design was going to be that would soon be bestowed upon
                                        Erica. Simply put, I'm laughing about what she has to say about it
                                        already. This makes the Vol. 4 pencil board look like a Care Bears book
                                        cover. The other side of the board that features Nancy is kind of cute
                                        once you spot Yomiko reflected on the locker door mirror. Cute little
                                        Yuri potential there. Much more bearable than the "other" side of the
                                        board!

                                        Thank you, and good luck.
                                        Jeyl
                                      • Jen
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jeyl <theo@v...> wrote:

                                          > "I was so excited to see what the next lovely pencil board design
                                          was going to be..."

                                          Oh why why WHY couldn't they have made a Pencil Board of the
                                          aut16400-BIG.jpg poster (See Yuricon Files)? That would be SUCH a
                                          treasure! So much more than the inevitable Hisa-chan "licking my
                                          melting ice-cream" PB we know is coming. -_-

                                          (By the way, I still have the 3000x4300 scan I made of that poster, in
                                          case anyone wants a bigger version.)

                                          Kisses XXOOXX
                                          Jen
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                                            > Oh why why WHY couldn't they have made a Pencil Board of the
                                            > aut16400-BIG.jpg poster (See Yuricon Files)?

                                            Yeah, let's all write Geneon and complain! (And then I'd get a C&D
                                            letter from them and it would all go downhill from there. LOL)

                                            The book isn't quite right, you know - Sean Gaffney co-wrote the story
                                            with me, so his name ought to be on the cover too. :-)

                                          • Rayna Darkstorm
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                              I realize this is a bit late, but it really only just hit me...

                                              >Slash:
                                              >    Stories by fans of western series
                                              pairing male characters in
                                              >homosexual romantic or sexual relationships.
                                              The term comes from the
                                              >phrase "Kirk/Spock." Related terms: Femmeslash;
                                              Yaoi; Shounen-ai;
                                              >June; Aestheticism

                                              As a Trekkie, I've got one thing to say about that pairing: Ew. Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew.

                                              Thanks so much for the mental image, which is rather graphic, due to my overactive imagination.

                                              Okay, I feel better now.

                                              - Rayna ^_~
                                            • Jen
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005

                                                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > Oh why why WHY couldn't they have made a Pencil Board of the
                                                > > aut16400-BIG.jpg poster (See Yuricon Files)?
                                                >
                                                > Yeah, let's all write Geneon and complain! (And then I'd get a C&D
                                                > letter from them and it would all go downhill from there. LOL)

                                                Me, I'd love for YuriCon to become a feared lobbying group, demanding
                                                US publishers bring us selected yuri works we deem worthy. Plus, the
                                                lovely atheniag could become gloriously corrupt, accepting yurilicious
                                                gifts from YuriCon members in exchange for the right word in the right
                                                ear. ^-^

                                                "As a loyal YuriCon member, I'd love it if you could demand Tokyopop
                                                publish YKK. Hey, why don't I SEND you the complete published works,
                                                including all novels, artbooks, posters and plushies? So you can...
                                                um... consider their worth, like. I could also throw in BEBE's Creole
                                                series (signed by Konno Oyuki), but only if you demand they also
                                                publish those Azumanga doujins where Sakaki gets done by the Cat. In
                                                hardcover."

                                                Ah, sweet corruption. Such a warm, fuzzy feeling. ^_^

                                                Kisses XXOOXX
                                                Jen
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 10, 2005
                                                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                                                  > Me, I'd love for YuriCon to become a feared lobbying group,
                                                  demanding
                                                  > US publishers bring us selected yuri works we deem worthy. Plus,
                                                  the
                                                  > lovely atheniag could become gloriously corrupt, accepting
                                                  yurilicious
                                                  > gifts from YuriCon members in exchange for the right word in the
                                                  right
                                                  > ear. ^-^

                                                  Hey - that's what I want, too! LOL

                                                  > "As a loyal YuriCon member, I'd love it if you could demand Tokyopop
                                                  > publish YKK. Hey, why don't I SEND you the complete published
                                                  works,
                                                  > including all novels, artbooks, posters and plushies? So you can...
                                                  > um... consider their worth, like. I could also throw in BEBE's
                                                  Creole
                                                  > series (signed by Konno Oyuki), but only if you demand they also
                                                  > publish those Azumanga doujins where Sakaki gets done by the Cat.
                                                  In
                                                  > hardcover."

                                                  ROTFL. You really worry me, Jen. You've memorized entire Okazu
                                                  entries.

                                                  > Ah, sweet corruption. Such a warm, fuzzy feeling. ^_^

                                                  Don't forget the 20-something fangirls hanging on me in my infamous
                                                  "grotto"...

                                                • John Merced
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 11, 2005
                                                    This message is aboutR.O.D. Vol 5. I live in orlando
                                                    and I was wondering which Best Buy it is that has Vol.
                                                    5, If someone wouldnt mind helping me out with this.
                                                    Especially if u live in orlando. So drop me line, if
                                                    anybody knows anything. Hey maybe we can become
                                                    friends. -John

                                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                  • Jeyl
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Feb 11, 2005
                                                      It's the Best buy near Winter Park. There is a KFC literally in the
                                                      parking lot. It's near Sameran road. Sorry I can't be more specific.

                                                      Thank you, and good luck
                                                      Jeyl