Re: [Yuricon] A Question

  • sean@centragarden.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      On 1 Feb 2005 at 13:57, Nicole wrote:

      > On "The list", I noticed the title for the anime "Sakura wars". It
      > seems there are a few sakura wars. Could anyone tell me which one
      > the list was referring to? Is it by chance, "Sakura wars-the movie"?
      > Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

      For the most part, Sakura Wars has what I term 'faux yuri' - it's not actually there, but can be
      fairly easily read into various scenes.

      The best way to see it is with the 2nd series of OAVs, which has 1 OAV focus on each of the
      girls, and has lots of 'could easily be seen as' scenes that don't say anything outright. ADV
      has released this with the first series of OAVs into one big lump.

      You can find it here:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008L3RA/qid=1107296272/sr=8-
      2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6438206-9173414?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

      Keep in mind the OAVs were written for people who have played the Sakura Wars game
      (which came first), thus there's a lot left out.

      --SG
    • Shimako Toudou
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
        If you want to delve beyond the anime/games/manga... there are also
        the live action musicals! For those not familiar with the musicals,
        they star the seiyuu from Sakura Taisen/Sakura Wars. Each summer
        edition of the show, they perform a musical within the framework of
        the "Imperial Operetta Company" of the Sakura Taisen world. As with
        the real-life Takarazuka Theatre, the mostly-female cast members take
        on male roles as needed.

        The earlier musicals are available on DVD from CDJapan and Amazon.jp.
        I highly recommend two in particular. "Benitokage," starring Sumire as
        the villainous Red Lizard, and Kanna as the detective (who is in love
        with Ms. Lizard) trying to bring her to justice. Benitokage is
        featured in the Sumire-Kanna episode of the animated OVA. "Arabia no
        Bara," starring Maria and Reni as long-lost brothers, one a tyrannical
        king, the other a leader of a band of rebels. Reni's rebel leader is
        quite cheesed off that the king's guards killed his love, played by
        Sakura, so off he goes to overthrow the king.

        Also recommended, but is out of print, "Kaijin Bessou," starring Maria
        as an undersea king, and Sakura as the land princess the king wants to
        marry. There are many wonderful songs in this one, including the
        climatic love-hate duet between the sea king and the land princess
        that was reinterpreted in the Sakura Taisen movie between Rachette and
        Sakura.

        As in the anime, Maria and Sakura tend to get paired off quite a bit
        in the musicals. ^__^
      • Nicole
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
          Thank you all for all of your help! I'll check out the links you
          people posted. Though I still think the whole thing a bit confusing
          as there are quite a few titles containing the mentioned 2
          characters from "the list". The musical does sound like a more
          interesting take on the show.
        • Nicole
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 22, 2005
            Ah..I'd like to ask a question about stellvia of the universe. In
            here, http://okazu.blogspot.com/2003/11/yuri-anime-of-month-if-you-
            havent-yet.html, Erica wrote that the lesbian couple sort of come
            out in public. Can anyone tell me which episode is it? Thanks for
            all help in advance!
          • Adam Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 22, 2005
              On 22-Mar-2005 08:46 -0000, Nicole wrote:

              > Ah..I'd like to ask a question about stellvia of the universe. In
              > here, http://okazu.blogspot.com/2003/11/yuri-anime-of-month-if-you-
              > havent-yet.html, Erica wrote that the lesbian couple sort of come
              > out in public. Can anyone tell me which episode is it? Thanks for
              > all help in advance!

              Episode 26 - right at the very end. It's around episode 12 (I think)
              that we start to see any interaction between them more significant than
              passing glances (and some of their backstory is then revealed).
              .oO("NB there was no emoticon for ironic horror." )
            • Elizabeth
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 29 9:45 PM
                Erm, I'd like to ask a question. About the manga, Chirality, did it
                have a happy ending or a bad one? Tell me about it! Thanks a bunch!
              • Chikane Himemiya
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 29 9:59 PM
                  lol YEA!! What happened, I hardly saw anything of Chirality.....I wish I could see more of it, but I don't have the money or the knowledge to go translating some of the stuff I've seen....

                  Elizabeth <tyran85@...> wrote:
                  Erm, I'd like to ask a question. About the manga, Chirality, did it
                  have a happy ending or a bad one? Tell me about it! Thanks a bunch!

                  "Should I smile because you're a friend, or cry cause that's all you'll ever be?"
                  Shay/Rumiel

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 30 7:35 AM
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <tyran85@y...> wrote:
                    > Erm, I'd like to ask a question. About the manga, Chirality, did it
                    > have a happy ending or a bad one? Tell me about it! Thanks a bunch!

                    Tre happy.

                    Spoiler

                    Space

                    Carol and Shiori save the world and live, assumably, hapily ever
                    after, after a stunning display of bad science and inexplicable
                    writing. :)

                  • Uchan ..
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 30 10:56 AM

                      >"Should I smile because you're a friend, or cry cause that's all you'll
                      >ever be?"
                      >Shay/Rumiel

                      I was just wondering where the quote is from?
                      Thanks

                    • Chikane Himemiya
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30 12:12 PM
                        *smiles and chuckles* It's my quote....It's how I feel about my best friend....but I almost don't need it anymore.....I like it alot because it's how I felt, but I think things are looking up me....XD Very well acutally...XP