RE: [Yuricon] Slightly OT: Stereotypes alive and well

  • Katerina Ehas
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      >The second is lazy writing at best, IMO. My friend asked me to TiVo an
      >episode of Law and Order for later viewing. It is the one where
      >Elisabeth Rohm's character (ADA Serena Southerlyn) is fired at the end
      >of the show, to make way for a new actress, I guess. Anyway, she's
      >called into District Attorney Branch's office (Fred Thompson) and is
      >fired for being more of a fiery advocate and less of dispassionate
      >prosecutor. Her response to being fired is to ask it has anything to do
      >with her being a lesbian, to which the D.A. responds absolutely not and
      >she takes his word for it. Cue end credits.

      Yeah, somehow I missed this episode (I think I was out running errands at
      the time it was on, and didn't think to have the roommates TiVo it), and
      came to find out why it was that she was fired. I proceeded to be the only
      one I know NOT shocked. See below:

      >My friend has been watching this show religiously and was genuinely
      >surprised at the final revelation. According to him, it's been implied
      >that every female ADA on the show has had some sort of relationship
      >with Sam Waterston's ADA Jack McCoy. (No, I don't know why.) Except,
      >for Elisabeth Rohm's character. There had been relatively little
      >development of her character's life outside the office, so there
      >weren't any hints. So, we think this was just the writer's way of
      >explaining why Sam Waterston's character didn't get with her, since
      >he's the mack daddy of the show, apparently.

      See, they've had a bunch of cases this season that had some sort of
      homosexuality angle to them. In handling those cases, A.D.A. Southerlyn
      frequently clashed with her superiors over their seeming willingness to
      exploit a jury's internalized homophobia to help them get a conviction. I'd
      been telling my roommates all along that they were furthering the plot where
      she was going to end up coming out as lesbian. And, hey, for one it was
      nice to see a pretty blond with long hair as the lesbian, rather than the
      Hollywood-stereotype butch with short, dark hair. I think THAT is why so
      many people were caught off-guard; they could never imagine such a
      classically beautiful woman as being anything other than straight.

      But this is getting almost off-topic here, since this isn't about animated
      lesbians... ;)

      Katya

    • Jen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
        > Her response to being fired is to ask it has anything to do
        > with her being a lesbian..."

        DIOS: "If you retain your strength and nobility, this ring shall lead
        you back to me, and you may save that poor girl from her eternal
        suffering... and have sex in the school library."

        UTENA: "Is this because I'm a lesbian?"

        ...yeah, while some pithy lines are funny when thrown out of left
        field, others only deserve a *blink blink*

        Still, to play sexy devilwoman's advocate, perhaps it was a sly
        commentary on how extreme moralistic crusader Republicans (and plain
        normal republicans) are gaining power and taking over every single
        level of law and government?

        Maybe?

        I dunno. I'm gonna go watch that GO TO PROM Marimite AMV again. My
        head's still reeling from last time.

        Kisses XXOOXX
        Jen
      • nekokuniko
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
          > It would be like, if someon asked my if where I got my
          > shoes/pants/blouse/whatever I replied, "Are you asking me that
          because
          > I'm a lesbian?"

          > Although that would be kind of a funny thing to do, now that I
          think
          > about it....

          I can't believe you haven't done it before now ;)

          Kun

          *does a little ericasofunny dance*