Slightly OT: Stereotypes alive and well

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      Thought I mention that I picked up two examples of lesbian stereotypes
      in Prime Time television this past month. The first is pretty
      innocuous, the lesbian, Honey, on the new show Queer Eye for the
      Straight Girl is shown riding a motorcycle in the opening credits.

      The second is lazy writing at best, IMO. My friend asked me to TiVo an
      episode of Law and Order for later viewing. It is the one where
      Elisabeth Rohm's character (ADA Serena Southerlyn) is fired at the end
      of the show, to make way for a new actress, I guess. Anyway, she's
      called into District Attorney Branch's office (Fred Thompson) and is
      fired for being more of a fiery advocate and less of dispassionate
      prosecutor. Her response to being fired is to ask it has anything to do
      with her being a lesbian, to which the D.A. responds absolutely not and
      she takes his word for it. Cue end credits.
      My friend has been watching this show religiously and was genuinely
      surprised at the final revelation. According to him, it's been implied
      that every female ADA on the show has had some sort of relationship
      with Sam Waterston's ADA Jack McCoy. (No, I don't know why.) Except,
      for Elisabeth Rohm's character. There had been relatively little
      development of her character's life outside the office, so there
      weren't any hints. So, we think this was just the writer's way of
      explaining why Sam Waterston's character didn't get with her, since
      he's the mack daddy of the show, apparently.
      So there you have it, if I have any more MSM sightings, I'll be sure to
      let everyone know.

      -==-
      Serge
      http://ximatl.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
        > Thought I mention that I picked up two examples of lesbian
        stereotypes
        > in Prime Time television this past month. The first is pretty
        > innocuous, the lesbian, Honey, on the new show Queer Eye for the
        > Straight Girl is shown riding a motorcycle in the opening credits.

        Luv that stereotype! LOL

        Actually, I was just commenting yesterday that, aside from the dyke on
        bike image, Honey manages to read gay w/out reading "dyke-y". Not oo
        much butch, not too lipstick. I find myself kind of liking her desite
        myself.

        > The second is lazy writing at best, IMO. My friend asked me to TiVo
        an
        > episode of Law and Order for later viewing. It is the one where
        > Elisabeth Rohm's character (ADA Serena Southerlyn) is fired at the
        end
        > of the show, to make way for a new actress, I guess. Anyway, she's
        > called into District Attorney Branch's office (Fred Thompson) and is
        > fired for being more of a fiery advocate and less of dispassionate
        > prosecutor. Her response to being fired is to ask it has anything to
        do
        > with her being a lesbian, to which the D.A. responds absolutely not
        and
        > she takes his word for it. Cue end credits.

        I saw that was was like, WTF? It made no sense to me. OTOH, I never
        saw the innuendo that all the other female ADAs were having flings
        with Jack, either, so clearly I'm not paying attention. :-)

        But Serena has been an unpopular character from day one, brash
        overbearing, a little strident, the critics have universally panned
        her. (I have no opinion myself, because L&O for me is background
        noise, I don't watch so much as ignore it. I have, however, "ignored"
        every episode they've ever done, which is rather disturbing...)

        But the gay line was so uncalled for, so completely out of left field.
        Not only did Serena not read gay, it simply made no sense at all in
        terms of the discussion she was having with the DA. Lazy writing
        indeed.

        It would be like, if someon asked my if where I got my
        shoes/pants/blouse/whatever I replied, "Are you asking me that because
        I'm a lesbian?"

        Although that would be kind of a funny thing to do, now that I think
        about it....

        LOL

      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
          On Jan 31, 2005, at 5:21 PM, atheniag wrote:

          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
          >> Thought I mention that I picked up two examples of lesbian
          > stereotypes
          >> in Prime Time television this past month. The first is pretty
          >> innocuous, the lesbian, Honey, on the new show Queer Eye for the
          >> Straight Girl is shown riding a motorcycle in the opening credits.
          >
          > Luv that stereotype! LOL

          I knew that you would. ;)

          > Actually, I was just commenting yesterday that, aside from the dyke on
          > bike image, Honey manages to read gay w/out reading "dyke-y". Not oo
          > much butch, not too lipstick. I find myself kind of liking her desite
          > myself.

          I imagine that's why they cast her. She balances out the flamy-ness of
          her co-stars.

          On a related note, last week's straight girl, Tammy, is someone who
          used to work with me.

          >> The second is lazy writing at best, IMO. My friend asked me to TiVo
          > an
          >> episode of Law and Order for later viewing. It is the one where
          >> Elisabeth Rohm's character (ADA Serena Southerlyn) is fired at the
          > end
          >> of the show, to make way for a new actress, I guess. Anyway, she's
          >> called into District Attorney Branch's office (Fred Thompson) and is
          >> fired for being more of a fiery advocate and less of dispassionate
          >> prosecutor. Her response to being fired is to ask it has anything to
          > do
          >> with her being a lesbian, to which the D.A. responds absolutely not
          > and
          >> she takes his word for it. Cue end credits.
          >
          > I saw that was was like, WTF? It made no sense to me. OTOH, I never
          > saw the innuendo that all the other female ADAs were having flings
          > with Jack, either, so clearly I'm not paying attention. :-)
          >
          > But Serena has been an unpopular character from day one, brash
          > overbearing, a little strident, the critics have universally panned
          > her. (I have no opinion myself, because L&O for me is background
          > noise, I don't watch so much as ignore it. I have, however, "ignored"
          > every episode they've ever done, which is rather disturbing...)

          I watch TV by osmosis on occasion, too. L&O is not something I watch
          regularly, so it's all news to me.

          > But the gay line was so uncalled for, so completely out of left field.
          > Not only did Serena not read gay, it simply made no sense at all in
          > terms of the discussion she was having with the DA. Lazy writing
          > indeed.

          A-yep.

          -==-
          Serge
          http://ximatl.blogspot.com
        • Katerina Ehas
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
            >The second is lazy writing at best, IMO. My friend asked me to TiVo an
            >episode of Law and Order for later viewing. It is the one where
            >Elisabeth Rohm's character (ADA Serena Southerlyn) is fired at the end
            >of the show, to make way for a new actress, I guess. Anyway, she's
            >called into District Attorney Branch's office (Fred Thompson) and is
            >fired for being more of a fiery advocate and less of dispassionate
            >prosecutor. Her response to being fired is to ask it has anything to do
            >with her being a lesbian, to which the D.A. responds absolutely not and
            >she takes his word for it. Cue end credits.

            Yeah, somehow I missed this episode (I think I was out running errands at
            the time it was on, and didn't think to have the roommates TiVo it), and
            came to find out why it was that she was fired. I proceeded to be the only
            one I know NOT shocked. See below:

            >My friend has been watching this show religiously and was genuinely
            >surprised at the final revelation. According to him, it's been implied
            >that every female ADA on the show has had some sort of relationship
            >with Sam Waterston's ADA Jack McCoy. (No, I don't know why.) Except,
            >for Elisabeth Rohm's character. There had been relatively little
            >development of her character's life outside the office, so there
            >weren't any hints. So, we think this was just the writer's way of
            >explaining why Sam Waterston's character didn't get with her, since
            >he's the mack daddy of the show, apparently.

            See, they've had a bunch of cases this season that had some sort of
            homosexuality angle to them. In handling those cases, A.D.A. Southerlyn
            frequently clashed with her superiors over their seeming willingness to
            exploit a jury's internalized homophobia to help them get a conviction. I'd
            been telling my roommates all along that they were furthering the plot where
            she was going to end up coming out as lesbian. And, hey, for one it was
            nice to see a pretty blond with long hair as the lesbian, rather than the
            Hollywood-stereotype butch with short, dark hair. I think THAT is why so
            many people were caught off-guard; they could never imagine such a
            classically beautiful woman as being anything other than straight.

            But this is getting almost off-topic here, since this isn't about animated
            lesbians... ;)

            Katya

          • Jen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
              > Her response to being fired is to ask it has anything to do
              > with her being a lesbian..."

              DIOS: "If you retain your strength and nobility, this ring shall lead
              you back to me, and you may save that poor girl from her eternal
              suffering... and have sex in the school library."

              UTENA: "Is this because I'm a lesbian?"

              ...yeah, while some pithy lines are funny when thrown out of left
              field, others only deserve a *blink blink*

              Still, to play sexy devilwoman's advocate, perhaps it was a sly
              commentary on how extreme moralistic crusader Republicans (and plain
              normal republicans) are gaining power and taking over every single
              level of law and government?

              Maybe?

              I dunno. I'm gonna go watch that GO TO PROM Marimite AMV again. My
              head's still reeling from last time.

              Kisses XXOOXX
              Jen
            • nekokuniko
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
                > It would be like, if someon asked my if where I got my
                > shoes/pants/blouse/whatever I replied, "Are you asking me that
                because
                > I'm a lesbian?"

                > Although that would be kind of a funny thing to do, now that I
                think
                > about it....

                I can't believe you haven't done it before now ;)

                Kun

                *does a little ericasofunny dance*