spoilers for Pieta and Claudine

  • Erin Subramanian
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 14, 2005
      Hi,
      I know some people are probably curious about what happens next in Pieta
      and/or Claudine, so I wrote up some spoilers for Pieta chapter 4 and all
      of Claudine. They're at:
      http://www.livejournal.com/community/lililicious/2005/01/14/
      Enjoy! :)

      Are there any other Lililicious projects people want to hear spoilers
      for? I'd be happy to write ones for manga I do have, or to ask Wendy
      about the ones I don't have, since she owns all the manga we use for our
      projects. :)

      Erin
    • Jen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 16, 2005
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erin Subramanian <esubramanian1@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I know some people are probably curious about what happens next in
        Pieta..."

        Well that's just great. Now I've gone and read Pieta 1-3 and I'm
        totally addicted. I need scanlations, goshdarnit! No spoilers for me!

        (Funny how names just pop up in Pieta. 'Satou.' 'Sakaki.' Once
        you're touched by the smallest hint of yuri, you send echoes around
        anything lillilicious.) ^_^

        Yeah, it's hard being both a Rei (MSgM) *AND* Sakaki (Pieta) fangrrl.

        Kisses XXOOXX
        Jen
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2005
          wrote:

          > Are there any other Lililicious projects people want to hear
          spoilers
          > for? I'd be happy to write ones for manga I do have, or to ask Wendy
          > about the ones I don't have, since she owns all the manga we use for
          our
          > projects. :)

          Yes! <grin> I want you to translate and summarize the other two
          shousetsu at the beginning of Yur Shimai, please. Because I'm much too
          lazy to, and people need to hear about Touko and Akiho, or no one will
          understand the fanfic I'm writing for them. LOL

          And thank so much for the spoilers. Reading them motivated me to get
          out the originals and re-read those. I'd forgotten how wonderfully
          over the top Claudine really is. And Pieta is a good story - I just
          wish the art had more depth.

          Thanks again!

        • Erin Subramanian
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 22, 2005
            atheniag wrote:

            >Yes! <grin> I want you to translate and summarize the other two
            >shousetsu at the beginning of Yur Shimai, please. Because I'm much too
            >lazy to, and people need to hear about Touko and Akiho, or no one will
            >understand the fanfic I'm writing for them. LOL

            We'll, see, lol. They've been added to my to-do list, but they're
            pretty far down so it may be awhile.
            You could always write a really short summary of the important bits to
            go along with the fanfic. lol

            >And thank so much for the spoilers. Reading them motivated me to get
            >out the originals and re-read those. I'd forgotten how wonderfully
            >over the top Claudine really is. And Pieta is a good story - I just
            >wish the art had more depth.

            You're welcome. :)
            Claudine really is great, I was thrilled when it ended up being in one
            of the compilation volumes of Ikeda Riyoko short manga I bought awhile
            back. :)
            And that reminds me, I should read Paros no Ken soon... it's sitting on
            my bookshelf (original) and HD (scanlation), but for some reason I
            haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
            Hmm, I'm happy with Pieta's art, but to each her own. :)

            Erin
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 22, 2005
              wrote:
              > atheniag wrote:

              > We'll, see, lol. They've been added to my to-do list, but they're
              > pretty far down so it may be awhile.
              > You could always write a really short summary of the important bits
              > go along with the fanfic. lol

              No...that would make a bad fanfic. One of the cardinal rules of the
              Fanfic Revoltuion is "Show, don't tell." The story summaries are
              included in the fanfic, as flashbacks. Letting the characters fill in
              the gaps, as opposed to expository author's notes, is one of the
              things that makes a story more interesting, in our (the FR) not really
              very humble opinon. :-)

              > Claudine really is great, I was thrilled when it ended up being in
              one
              > of the compilation volumes of Ikeda Riyoko short manga I bought
              awhile
              > back. :)
              > And that reminds me, I should read Paros no Ken soon... it's sitting
              on
              > my bookshelf (original) and HD (scanlation), but for some reason I
              > haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

              Yes - Paros no Ken is always a lot of fun. I take it out everyonece in
              a while when I want to be self-indulgent. Like expensive chocolates. :
              -)

            • rosepress@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 22, 2005
                Quoth Erica:

                No...that would make a bad fanfic. One of the cardinal
                > rules of the Fanfic Revoltuion is "Show, don't tell."
                > The story summaries are included in the fanfic, as
                > flashbacks. Letting the characters fill in the gaps,
                > as opposed to expository author's notes, is one of
                > the things that makes a story more interesting, in
                > our (the FR) not really very humble opinon. :-)

                When writing a standalone, you MUST include all the information needed for the story. Series and fanfics make life easier on the author by letting hir assume the readers already KNOW much of the background information. Lord knows, even then there's a lot of story-specific info that must be included - but you can have a higher story-to-exposition ratio in a fanfic.

                Probably the worst of both worlds happens when you do a crossover fanfic between two series so different that few people will have seen both. You want to stay in a conceptual cluster.

                Ranma, Tenchi, and Sailor Moon seem to gather a lot of crossovers. I could see doing an Utena/Marimite crossover. But I'd not want to try a Marimite/Gundam crossover -- there'd be so much setup and exposition there'd be no room for story.

                Fanfic for a knowing audience is relatively easy. If I were writing a fanfic for something obscure, I'd simply act as if I lived in their world, and start to gossip about this peculiar thing that happened recently. Then I could slowly shade into the story itself.

                That's no different from writing about your own world, one too few people know about as yet. As an example, let me give a story I recently completed -- http://washuu.net/cycles.htm . Starts off very talky, never that much action, and you know a LOT about the situation when it's done. Do the action as gossip, with a few comments from the gallery. It seems to work for me.

                Cheers - Rose
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 25, 2005
                  >From: rosepress@...
                  >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: spoilers for Pieta and Claudine
                  >Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:14:57 -0500

                  >When writing a standalone, you MUST include all the information needed for
                  >the story.

                  Only if you want your audience to understand what's going on. :-)

                  Series and fanfics make life easier on the author by letting hir assume the
                  readers already KNOW much of the background information. Lord knows, even
                  then there's a lot of story-specific info that must be included - but you
                  can have a higher story-to-exposition ratio in a fanfic.

                  This is mostly true, assuming your readers are already familiar with the
                  series. Typically, if I'm writing for a really obscure series, (and its not
                  just a throwaway scenario that I'm writing for myself) I'll add in enough
                  backgrouns so that, even if a person hasn't seen the series, they can at
                  least follow along.

                  >Probably the worst of both worlds happens when you do a crossover fanfic
                  >between two series so different that few people will have seen both. You
                  >want to stay in a conceptual cluster.

                  Or multi- x-overs that cominee so many things that you're hard put to have
                  seen everything. And even when it is done well, it's not always *good.*
                  Again - it depends on who you're writing for - yourself or an audience.

                  >Ranma, Tenchi, and Sailor Moon seem to gather a lot of crossovers. I could
                  >see doing an Utena/Marimite crossover. But I'd not want to try a
                  >Marimite/Gundam crossover -- there'd be so much setup and exposition
                  >there'd be no room for story.

                  LOL It stikes me as very funny, because I just read a mecha-marimite
                  doujinshi last night.

                  >Fanfic for a knowing audience is relatively easy. If I were writing a
                  >fanfic for something obscure, I'd simply act as if I lived in their world,
                  >and start to gossip about this peculiar thing that happened recently. Then
                  >I could slowly shade into the story itself.

                  Exactly - using the characters to "show" not an author's note to "tell."
                  It's a key thing in making a story good, but something that surprisingly few
                  ff authors understand.

                • Resop
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 25, 2005
                    > >When writing a standalone, you MUST include all the information needed for
                    > >the story.
                    >
                    > Only if you want your audience to understand what's going on. :-)
                    >
                    > Series and fanfics make life easier on the author by letting hir assume the
                    > readers already KNOW much of the background information. Lord knows, even
                    > then there's a lot of story-specific info that must be included - but you
                    > can have a higher story-to-exposition ratio in a fanfic.
                    >
                    > This is mostly true, assuming your readers are already familiar with the
                    > series. Typically, if I'm writing for a really obscure series, (and its not
                    > just a throwaway scenario that I'm writing for myself) I'll add in enough
                    > backgrouns so that, even if a person hasn't seen the series, they can at
                    > least follow along.
                    >

                    > >Probably the worst of both worlds happens when you do a crossover fanfic
                    > >between two series so different that few people will have seen both. You
                    > >want to stay in a conceptual cluster.
                    >
                    > Or multi- x-overs that cominee so many things that you're hard put to have
                    > seen everything. And even when it is done well, it's not always *good.*
                    > Again - it depends on who you're writing for - yourself or an audience.

                    The way I see it, if you are doing a cross-over fan fic you have many more
                    problems than usual. In any fan fic, one "should" at least give some
                    explanation
                    as to why some character is acting/doing/feeling something that they didn't
                    do in the original series. With a cross over, you also have this problem:
                    how do explain the clashes in the background assumptions of the different
                    universes? Suppose it's a fight anime crossed over with a magic girl anime?
                    Do the fight characters sit there are go "duhhhh" when a mahou shoujo
                    transforms? Does Ranma tell Momoko "Hey, the LAST thing I need is
                    another fiance!!" Does Naruto tell Usagi "Hey, I can disguise myself as
                    a much cuter girl." Does Lina Inverse tell Hikaru "Do you really admire my
                    figure?"

                    Even when you are not writing about anime, you could wind up with badly
                    clashing universes. Suppose the solders in Saving Private Ryan bumped
                    into Indiana Jones? Same time period, different universe.

                    I think cross-overs can be done (as much as any other fan-fic) but they need
                    to be planned carefully. Too much explanation as to why these characters
                    are together would be boring and too little would look dumb.

                    Craig
                  • SilverRose Utt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 25, 2005
                      I agree! Crossovers have a *ton* of problems to wade
                      through...feasability, continuity...the list is
                      endless.

                      I *do* think it's possible to write successful
                      crossovers, however...I've written one, myself!

                      Delurking,
                      Dr. SilverRose

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Shannon J. L.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 25, 2005
                        Chris Davies' Together again is a good example, a multi series x-
                        over with a clever plot, romance and credible characterization. ^_^

                        I don't mention my crossover because it's a bit more random...

                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, SilverRose Utt

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 25, 2005
                          In a message dated 1/25/2005 2:06:19 PM Central Standard Time, silverrosewitche@... writes:
                          I *do* think it's possible to write successful
                          crossovers, however...I've written one, myself!
                          Sometimes a crossover is unavoidable. Like, here I am in Nerima thinking "I need a talking cat". The closest place to get one is probably Jubaan-cho, ne?

                          Rose
                        • shenotski
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 25, 2005
                            As far as a plossible cross over goes i say that a sliders concept
                            would work best. Because then the continuty of both can't contradict
                            each other because they took place on different worlds.

                            Though i grew tired of fan fiction years ago, I wont go into reasons
                            why as people like to cut my head off. I do however beleave in story
                            and charecter as they are the most important aspect of any story.
                            That will allways be important.
                          • mantennashowers@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 26, 2005
                              For anyone interested in crossovers, I recommend checking out a book called "Gods and Monsters" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/193226504X/qid%3D1054662435/sr%3D2-2/ref%3Dsr%5F2%5F2/103-4157617-8056667) It's a companion book to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic series (miles above the movie version) which is one huge crossover where "every fictional character can and does exist."
                            • sacranoidclub@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                                or if anyone wnats some info. i can make a posting of crossovers that
                                i have found that i think are very cool and well done. and i am sure
                                i can find a few that blew chunks for ideas on what not to do...
                                i have a huge amount of fic saved to the hard drive on a a old lap
                                top at home for the storing of very cool fics that i like.

                                i know chris davies has sevral that are cool and has some that are
                                yuri also.
                                i know sean gafferies has some crossover also that are cool and i
                                think some yuri also.