Notes from the "Yellow Rose Revolution"

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2005
      Hi all! At last I can report first-hand all the things of interest
      that occurred in "Maria-sama ga Miteru: Kibara Kakumei" that were left
      out of the anime and/or the manga.

      Overall, as with the first novel, nothing significant was left out,
      mostly little details that, for me, make everyone that much more 3-D
      and human. This will probably not be the case so much with the fourth
      volume which was handled in one episode. I'm betting that we missed alot.

      In any case, here are some of the things that were interesting enught
      that I actaually jotted notes down about them:

      Yoshino's bedroom - this is described as looking like a old man's
      library, with floor to ceiling bookshelves in dark wood, with
      "incongrous" flowered curtains. In fact, the room *was* a library
      previously, and it seems to suit Yoshino well. :-)

      We get to actually meet Yoshino's mother for a very short scene, and
      she seems quite sharp. Even though Rei says nothing to her, she can
      tell instantly that something has happened between Yoshino and
      Rei...and she ends her scene with an incredibly complex pun about
      Rei's family and the stew she's cooking which revolved around the
      word, "sweet". Basically she was, in one sentence, commenting that
      Rei's family has their own way of seasoning the stew and that they are
      too nice for their own good.

      Tsutako, as she snaps pictures of girls in the marital arts clubs in
      various states of dress, thanks god for being born a girl, so she can
      do things like this! LOL

      The most surprising scene in the book begins with Yumi repeating the
      words, "Bumper crop?" LOL Shimako has returned to the classroom
      carrying a vinyl bag full of stinky gingko nuts and chortling* to
      herself. I bet you never imagined THAT.

      In the scene after Yumi finds Rei standing in the greenhouse,
      grieving, and Sachiko pulls Rei back to the Rose mansion, Sei and
      Youko have a scene in which, even as they are explaining why they
      really can't do much, are doing amazingly much. Their comptence is
      quite stunning. I really liked this scene, but that's no surprise, as
      I find competence to be the single most sexy quality a woman can have.

      Yumi is momentarily jealous of Rei and Yoshino's closeness and
      wonders, bitterly, if she were to leave, would Schiko even Notice,
      much less grieve.

      Sei also explains, in the discussion with Yumi about Eriko's behavior
      *why* Rosa Foetida's nature has any bearing on this situation - in a
      nutshell, someone like Eriko, who always knows what's going to happen
      as the outcome of her actions, wouldn't do anything to interfere with
      Rei and Yoshino - because she would find this unpredictable, and
      hence, fascinating.

      One of the scenes that was entirely cut out consists solely of Yoshino
      pacing in front of the hospital and we get to see how really, she's
      terribly frightened of the surgery - and feeling very alone.

      Yumi comments intelligently that, with all the fuss going on at
      Lillian, Yoshino doesn't even know about any of it...and she's
      probably be appalled to find out. But it's Yumi that accidentally lets
      Yoshino know - and she finds it all hysterical.

      During the scene when Yoshino is telling Yumi about the mistakes in
      the newspaper survey, again, we get the sense that Yoshino is very
      alone. (We know from an earlier conversation with Katsura, Yumi's
      classmate, that Yoshino has no friends in her class because she's out
      so often. And we learn that although Yoshino and Yumi have both been
      attending Lillian since infancy, they really haven't ever been in a
      class together.) As Yoshino tries to explain her relationship with Rei
      - and the flaws in it, we get the feeling that oshino is desperately
      reaching ou to umi so that someone, somewhere, understands her.

      When Rei finally has her meltdown - in the arms of a teacher, she uses
      exactly the same phrases to descrbe her realtionship with Yoshino as
      Yoshino did to Yumi...which heightens how much denial she'd been in.

      Ultimately, at the end, when Yoshino shows Rei the scar (and gets
      yelled at by the nurse afterwards for doing so) Rei says it makes
      Yoshino ook like a pirate - so that explains THAT doujinshi! LOL

      Last thing. Sei eats REALLY strange stuff. Yumi comes to the Rose
      Mansion and find Se eating a taromasalata and mayo sandwich and
      drinking green tea, while Youko is eating onigiri and drinking coffee.
      Yumi thinks that they should switch drinks for consistency. :-)
      Taromosalata sandwich???? Yumi thinks that that's the kind of thing
      that only a die-hard fan of a food would eat.

      And that's about all that I can think of off the top of my head and
      with my notes.

      It was a really good book - but next I get to read Forest of Thorns
      and I'm *really* looking forward to that!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2005

        > In any case, here are some of the things that were interesting
        enught
        > that I actaually jotted notes down about them:

        I didn't write this down so of course, I kept forgetting it.

        Katsura, you know, Yumi's classmate (we see her in the anime, too) who
        has a soeur in Sachiko's class...is a major gossipmonger. We see a
        little of that in the anime, but already by the third novel, she's a
        real pain.

        When all the petite soeur were breaking with their grande soeur, in
        the anime we see Miyuki, a semi-anonymous classmate - well Katsura
        also breaks with her soeur - as do about five others in Yumi's class
        alone.

      • Picard
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2005

          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...> wrote:
          >

          > Katsura, you know, Yumi's classmate (we see her in the anime, too) who
          > has a soeur in Sachiko's class...is a major gossipmonger. We see a
          > little of that in the anime, but already by the third novel, she's a
          > real pain.

          Actually most of the girls in Lillian were depicted as gossipy,
          somewhat. Else some of the rumors, like the one of Sei writing the
          novel, won't be as wide-spread as it was. Interesting thing is,
          Katsura's role has been greatly diminished in the anime version. Not
          that she has a lot of scenes to being with but in anime they changed
          the script so they don't need to cast Katsura in that episode at all.
        • Jen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2005

            > "Sei also explains, in the discussion with Yumi about Eriko's
            behavior *why* Rosa Foetida's nature has any bearing on this situation..."

            And here I thought Eriko was just too busy being a pregnant dinosaur.

            Kisses XXOOXX
            Jen