Re: [Yuricon] Well, found two things that aren't awful this season

  • Resop
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
      --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

      > I spent last night in marathon catching up with anime session and all
      > I can say is, we'll be doing a lot of chatting about the 2003-2004
      > anime out on DVD this season.
      >
      > I thought Magical Canan was bad, but then I watched Ultimate Girl and
      > now I think I'll never feel clean again.

      Yeah, I downloaded a promo clip for it. The sound didn't work, but from
      the visuals and the subtitles it seemed pretty echii and embarrassing and
      not in a good way. At least the lead girl of the series warns you about
      how bad the series is by saying at the end "No, don't look at me".

      Craig
    • Picard
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
        > And then there's AIR, which has also been generating a lot of buzz. It,
        > too, looks to be based on a game, a ren-ai game I think. It feels like
        > Kanon, and the character design is very reminiscent of it. It wasn't
        > horrible, so I may stick with it.
        > Starship Operators is the only thing I haven't checked out yet that I
        > want to, I think the raw I found was .wmv9 but I don't want to check it
        > out badly enough to attempt to wrest the Donna away from her new
        > 'puter.

        Many people badged Starship Operator as Japanese Star Trek. I believe
        the author is the same one as Record of the Lodoss Wars. Checked out
        episode 1 and it's pretty plot heavy. Many girls in the cast but not
        sure if there will be any yuri development among them.

        Air is probably the most hyped series this season because of the
        highly regarded bishouko game it originated from. The story in the
        game was said to be superior to Kanon and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, which
        were all held in very high respect. Episode 1 has been living up to
        its hype and I was very impressed with the directing and the details
        in the animation. The quality of the animation is on par with OVAs. If
        the level of quality stays the same throughout the series and the
        story stays true to the game, then this is a must-see series for fans
        who love dramas.

        A new shoujo series I checked out this season was Peach Girl. Heard a
        lot about it since it was made into TV drama in Taiwan and was quite
        popular. First episode was pretty much character introduction but also
        set up nicely for some conflictions in the future. This should be a
        good series to follow if you are a shoujo fan. The other "Girl" series
        is just too painful to watch so watch this one instead. :)
      • shenotski
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
          Adding to the things to look for. Id like to add elfen lied to the
          mix. While it's not yuri it's been one of the better series ive seen
          in a long while. Though i will warn everyone that there is tons of
          nuddity and blood in this series that it would almost make ninja
          scroll look tame. Though here's the weird thing unlike everything with
          tons of blood and nudity it actually fits with the series. It's been
          licensed by ADV so hopefully it will come out domesticly around the
          summer.
        • Jen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2005

            > I'm not a gamer, so I knew nothing of the plot, but I
            > have seen 14 million pieces of Shion x KOS-MOS yuri fan art and
            > doujinshi...so I knew about them.
            >
            > Well, first episode in and I can see what the fandom was seeing.
            :-)

            Yah, the Shion/KOS-MOSOO pairing is a tad widespread, but any techgrrl
            who builds her own robo-woman and then straps on a frilly garter on
            it's leg obviously deserves a place on SOME list. ^_^

            I'm rather disappointed by the lack of overall quality in the
            direction and animation, but then, as a long-time Xenogears fan, I was
            disappointed by the Xenosaga game too, so I'm already biased.

            Shion/KOS-MOSOO aside, Allan has come through pretty much intact.
            He's the stereotypical "Nice Guy" (
            http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml ) who
            is the bane of all het girls (like me, until we Try Before We Bi and
            take some hot butch off the market for 8 months, incurring the hate of
            true dykes everywhere) ^_^

            Sadly, Shion apparently ditches her glasses in Xenosaga: Episode II
            (the game), which was a mistake of monolithic proportions. Why anyone
            would ditch such a Weapon of Mass Seduction, I don't know. YuriCon
            would crumble and fall if Yuriko ever got contacts.

            (... while I'm posting, howzabout a new Poll? I'd suggest "Which
            Baby-Dyke holds the most promise?", but I can think of enough to make
            a list (Kaorin, Anita, Hisami, Yoshino, Kirika... I'd add Tomoyo, but
            I wanna be fair to the others. Tomoyo's already the reigning queen of
            mainstream girly yuriness.)

            Y'know, despite AZU's Kaorin and NOIR's Kirika being roughly in the
            same school year, it's funny imagining these two in a study group.
            Kirika's set-in-stone moping next to Kaorin's random bursts of glee.
            Cute! I'm sure hangin' with Kaorin would do Kirika some good, too.
            ^_^

            (Italy. Evening. Candle-lit dinner with the finest red wine)

            KIRIKA: Ano... Mirielle-san?

            MIRIELLE: ...Hai?

            KIRIKA: ...

            MIRIELLE: ...

            * 7 Fighter Jets fly over, spouting rainbow smoketrails *

            MIRIELLE: WHAT DA F*CK???!!!

            * Kirika leans over balcony, gives Kaorin the thumbs up *

            ^_^

            Kisses XXOOXX
            Jen
          • Jen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

              > while I'm posting, howzabout a new Poll? I'd suggest "Which
              Baby-Dyke holds the most promise?", but I *CAN'T* think of enough to
              make a list (Kaorin, Anita, Hisami, Yoshino, Kirika...

              Well, after just one episode of GAKUEN ALICE, I'm found another for
              the Lis... I mean Poll.

              I mean hey, just like Anita & Hisa in ROD TV's closing credits: the
              gals are together and it's "sweet n' shit". What more proof do I
              need? ^_^

              Kisses XXOOXX
              Jen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                > Sadly, Shion apparently ditches her glasses in Xenosaga: Episode II
                > (the game), which was a mistake of monolithic proportions. Why
                anyone
                > would ditch such a Weapon of Mass Seduction, I don't know. YuriCon
                > would crumble and fall if Yuriko ever got contacts.

                Agreed! LOL

                Yuri wears contacts only when a role calls for it - she's not stupid.
                A sultry glance over the edge of her glasses has captured many a
                woman. ;-)

              • Andy00@aol.com