Re: [Yuricon] Well, found two things that aren't awful this season

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
      On Jan 11, 2005, at 8:54 AM, atheniag wrote:

      > I spent last night in marathon catching up with anime session and all
      > I can say is, we'll be doing a lot of chatting about the 2003-2004
      > anime out on DVD this season.

      Yeah, the winter 2005 season is a bust so far. Here's hoping Spring is
      better. I think 2004 really spoiled us.

      > I thought Magical Canan was bad, but then I watched Ultimate Girl and
      > now I think I'll never feel clean again.

      Well, it's by the same people who brought us Love Love, Cosprayers,
      Smash Hit, etc.: M.O.E. And if that isn't the mark of quality, I don't
      know what is. ;)

      > On the good side, however - Jinki Extend looks, while not
      > ground-breaking, fairly enjoyable. It has evil chicks and some of them
      > look older than 14, so already its my winner for the season.

      This seems to be based on a game, as are many of this season's new
      anime. My favorite bit so far is Aoba's plamo quirk.

      > I also took a look at Xenosaga and found it to be rather better than I
      > had imagined! I'm not a gamer, so I knew nothing of the plot, but I
      > have seen 14 million pieces of Shion x KOS-MOS yuri fan art and
      > doujinshi...so I knew about them.
      >
      > Well, first episode in and I can see what the fandom was seeing. :-)
      > So you may want to keep your eye on Xenosaga and see where it leads.

      Yeah, I thought it was pretty evident in the simulation they were
      performing where that was headed. So this one should at least be
      subtext rich, even if they don't take it anywhere.

      > In the meantime, I'll sit here and hope that they do do a second
      > season of Stellvia, because I found a picture of grown-up Yayoi, and I
      > think I'm in love. LOL

      Other things I checked out, but not list material: Ah Megami-sama:
      Considering that this show really should have been made at least 6 or 7
      years ago, it, surprisingly, does not completely suck. I doubt if
      there'll be anything to report on this, but it doesn't look like a
      complete waste of time, unlike Mahou Sensei Negima, which I couldn't
      get through the OP of. Based on the manga by Ken Akamatsu of Love Hina
      fame, so it's a harem show, this one is a guaranteed blockbuster and
      will probably be licensed by the end of the month, and 3 years from now
      I'll still never be able to finish watching it.
      And then there's AIR, which has also been generating a lot of buzz. It,
      too, looks to be based on a game, a ren-ai game I think. It feels like
      Kanon, and the character design is very reminiscent of it. It wasn't
      horrible, so I may stick with it.
      Starship Operators is the only thing I haven't checked out yet that I
      want to, I think the raw I found was .wmv9 but I don't want to check it
      out badly enough to attempt to wrest the Donna away from her new
      'puter.

      -==-
      Serge
      http://ximatl.blogspot.com
    • Resop
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
        --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

        > I spent last night in marathon catching up with anime session and all
        > I can say is, we'll be doing a lot of chatting about the 2003-2004
        > anime out on DVD this season.
        >
        > I thought Magical Canan was bad, but then I watched Ultimate Girl and
        > now I think I'll never feel clean again.

        Yeah, I downloaded a promo clip for it. The sound didn't work, but from
        the visuals and the subtitles it seemed pretty echii and embarrassing and
        not in a good way. At least the lead girl of the series warns you about
        how bad the series is by saying at the end "No, don't look at me".

        Craig
      • Picard
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
          > And then there's AIR, which has also been generating a lot of buzz. It,
          > too, looks to be based on a game, a ren-ai game I think. It feels like
          > Kanon, and the character design is very reminiscent of it. It wasn't
          > horrible, so I may stick with it.
          > Starship Operators is the only thing I haven't checked out yet that I
          > want to, I think the raw I found was .wmv9 but I don't want to check it
          > out badly enough to attempt to wrest the Donna away from her new
          > 'puter.

          Many people badged Starship Operator as Japanese Star Trek. I believe
          the author is the same one as Record of the Lodoss Wars. Checked out
          episode 1 and it's pretty plot heavy. Many girls in the cast but not
          sure if there will be any yuri development among them.

          Air is probably the most hyped series this season because of the
          highly regarded bishouko game it originated from. The story in the
          game was said to be superior to Kanon and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, which
          were all held in very high respect. Episode 1 has been living up to
          its hype and I was very impressed with the directing and the details
          in the animation. The quality of the animation is on par with OVAs. If
          the level of quality stays the same throughout the series and the
          story stays true to the game, then this is a must-see series for fans
          who love dramas.

          A new shoujo series I checked out this season was Peach Girl. Heard a
          lot about it since it was made into TV drama in Taiwan and was quite
          popular. First episode was pretty much character introduction but also
          set up nicely for some conflictions in the future. This should be a
          good series to follow if you are a shoujo fan. The other "Girl" series
          is just too painful to watch so watch this one instead. :)
        • shenotski
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
            Adding to the things to look for. Id like to add elfen lied to the
            mix. While it's not yuri it's been one of the better series ive seen
            in a long while. Though i will warn everyone that there is tons of
            nuddity and blood in this series that it would almost make ninja
            scroll look tame. Though here's the weird thing unlike everything with
            tons of blood and nudity it actually fits with the series. It's been
            licensed by ADV so hopefully it will come out domesticly around the
            summer.
          • Jen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2005

              > I'm not a gamer, so I knew nothing of the plot, but I
              > have seen 14 million pieces of Shion x KOS-MOS yuri fan art and
              > doujinshi...so I knew about them.
              >
              > Well, first episode in and I can see what the fandom was seeing.
              :-)

              Yah, the Shion/KOS-MOSOO pairing is a tad widespread, but any techgrrl
              who builds her own robo-woman and then straps on a frilly garter on
              it's leg obviously deserves a place on SOME list. ^_^

              I'm rather disappointed by the lack of overall quality in the
              direction and animation, but then, as a long-time Xenogears fan, I was
              disappointed by the Xenosaga game too, so I'm already biased.

              Shion/KOS-MOSOO aside, Allan has come through pretty much intact.
              He's the stereotypical "Nice Guy" (
              http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml ) who
              is the bane of all het girls (like me, until we Try Before We Bi and
              take some hot butch off the market for 8 months, incurring the hate of
              true dykes everywhere) ^_^

              Sadly, Shion apparently ditches her glasses in Xenosaga: Episode II
              (the game), which was a mistake of monolithic proportions. Why anyone
              would ditch such a Weapon of Mass Seduction, I don't know. YuriCon
              would crumble and fall if Yuriko ever got contacts.

              (... while I'm posting, howzabout a new Poll? I'd suggest "Which
              Baby-Dyke holds the most promise?", but I can think of enough to make
              a list (Kaorin, Anita, Hisami, Yoshino, Kirika... I'd add Tomoyo, but
              I wanna be fair to the others. Tomoyo's already the reigning queen of
              mainstream girly yuriness.)

              Y'know, despite AZU's Kaorin and NOIR's Kirika being roughly in the
              same school year, it's funny imagining these two in a study group.
              Kirika's set-in-stone moping next to Kaorin's random bursts of glee.
              Cute! I'm sure hangin' with Kaorin would do Kirika some good, too.
              ^_^

              (Italy. Evening. Candle-lit dinner with the finest red wine)

              KIRIKA: Ano... Mirielle-san?

              MIRIELLE: ...Hai?

              KIRIKA: ...

              MIRIELLE: ...

              * 7 Fighter Jets fly over, spouting rainbow smoketrails *

              MIRIELLE: WHAT DA F*CK???!!!

              * Kirika leans over balcony, gives Kaorin the thumbs up *

              ^_^

              Kisses XXOOXX
              Jen
            • Jen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                > while I'm posting, howzabout a new Poll? I'd suggest "Which
                Baby-Dyke holds the most promise?", but I *CAN'T* think of enough to
                make a list (Kaorin, Anita, Hisami, Yoshino, Kirika...

                Well, after just one episode of GAKUEN ALICE, I'm found another for
                the Lis... I mean Poll.

                I mean hey, just like Anita & Hisa in ROD TV's closing credits: the
                gals are together and it's "sweet n' shit". What more proof do I
                need? ^_^

                Kisses XXOOXX
                Jen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                  > Sadly, Shion apparently ditches her glasses in Xenosaga: Episode II
                  > (the game), which was a mistake of monolithic proportions. Why
                  anyone
                  > would ditch such a Weapon of Mass Seduction, I don't know. YuriCon
                  > would crumble and fall if Yuriko ever got contacts.

                  Agreed! LOL

                  Yuri wears contacts only when a role calls for it - she's not stupid.
                  A sultry glance over the edge of her glasses has captured many a
                  woman. ;-)

                • Andy00@aol.com