Well, found two things that aren't awful this season

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
      I spent last night in marathon catching up with anime session and all
      I can say is, we'll be doing a lot of chatting about the 2003-2004
      anime out on DVD this season.

      I thought Magical Canan was bad, but then I watched Ultimate Girl and
      now I think I'll never feel clean again.

      On the good side, however - Jinki Extend looks, while not
      ground-breaking, fairly enjoyable. It has evil chicks and some of them
      look older than 14, so already its my winner for the season.

      I also took a look at Xenosaga and found it to be rather better than I
      had imagined! I'm not a gamer, so I knew nothing of the plot, but I
      have seen 14 million pieces of Shion x KOS-MOS yuri fan art and
      doujinshi...so I knew about them.

      Well, first episode in and I can see what the fandom was seeing. :-)
      So you may want to keep your eye on Xenosaga and see where it leads.

      In the meantime, I'll sit here and hope that they do do a second
      season of Stellvia, because I found a picture of grown-up Yayoi, and I
      think I'm in love. LOL

    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
        On Jan 11, 2005, at 8:54 AM, atheniag wrote:

        > I spent last night in marathon catching up with anime session and all
        > I can say is, we'll be doing a lot of chatting about the 2003-2004
        > anime out on DVD this season.

        Yeah, the winter 2005 season is a bust so far. Here's hoping Spring is
        better. I think 2004 really spoiled us.

        > I thought Magical Canan was bad, but then I watched Ultimate Girl and
        > now I think I'll never feel clean again.

        Well, it's by the same people who brought us Love Love, Cosprayers,
        Smash Hit, etc.: M.O.E. And if that isn't the mark of quality, I don't
        know what is. ;)

        > On the good side, however - Jinki Extend looks, while not
        > ground-breaking, fairly enjoyable. It has evil chicks and some of them
        > look older than 14, so already its my winner for the season.

        This seems to be based on a game, as are many of this season's new
        anime. My favorite bit so far is Aoba's plamo quirk.

        > I also took a look at Xenosaga and found it to be rather better than I
        > had imagined! I'm not a gamer, so I knew nothing of the plot, but I
        > have seen 14 million pieces of Shion x KOS-MOS yuri fan art and
        > doujinshi...so I knew about them.
        >
        > Well, first episode in and I can see what the fandom was seeing. :-)
        > So you may want to keep your eye on Xenosaga and see where it leads.

        Yeah, I thought it was pretty evident in the simulation they were
        performing where that was headed. So this one should at least be
        subtext rich, even if they don't take it anywhere.

        > In the meantime, I'll sit here and hope that they do do a second
        > season of Stellvia, because I found a picture of grown-up Yayoi, and I
        > think I'm in love. LOL

        Other things I checked out, but not list material: Ah Megami-sama:
        Considering that this show really should have been made at least 6 or 7
        years ago, it, surprisingly, does not completely suck. I doubt if
        there'll be anything to report on this, but it doesn't look like a
        complete waste of time, unlike Mahou Sensei Negima, which I couldn't
        get through the OP of. Based on the manga by Ken Akamatsu of Love Hina
        fame, so it's a harem show, this one is a guaranteed blockbuster and
        will probably be licensed by the end of the month, and 3 years from now
        I'll still never be able to finish watching it.
        And then there's AIR, which has also been generating a lot of buzz. It,
        too, looks to be based on a game, a ren-ai game I think. It feels like
        Kanon, and the character design is very reminiscent of it. It wasn't
        horrible, so I may stick with it.
        Starship Operators is the only thing I haven't checked out yet that I
        want to, I think the raw I found was .wmv9 but I don't want to check it
        out badly enough to attempt to wrest the Donna away from her new
        'puter.

        -==-
        Serge
        http://ximatl.blogspot.com
      • Resop
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
          --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

          > I spent last night in marathon catching up with anime session and all
          > I can say is, we'll be doing a lot of chatting about the 2003-2004
          > anime out on DVD this season.
          >
          > I thought Magical Canan was bad, but then I watched Ultimate Girl and
          > now I think I'll never feel clean again.

          Yeah, I downloaded a promo clip for it. The sound didn't work, but from
          the visuals and the subtitles it seemed pretty echii and embarrassing and
          not in a good way. At least the lead girl of the series warns you about
          how bad the series is by saying at the end "No, don't look at me".

          Craig
        • Picard
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
            > And then there's AIR, which has also been generating a lot of buzz. It,
            > too, looks to be based on a game, a ren-ai game I think. It feels like
            > Kanon, and the character design is very reminiscent of it. It wasn't
            > horrible, so I may stick with it.
            > Starship Operators is the only thing I haven't checked out yet that I
            > want to, I think the raw I found was .wmv9 but I don't want to check it
            > out badly enough to attempt to wrest the Donna away from her new
            > 'puter.

            Many people badged Starship Operator as Japanese Star Trek. I believe
            the author is the same one as Record of the Lodoss Wars. Checked out
            episode 1 and it's pretty plot heavy. Many girls in the cast but not
            sure if there will be any yuri development among them.

            Air is probably the most hyped series this season because of the
            highly regarded bishouko game it originated from. The story in the
            game was said to be superior to Kanon and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, which
            were all held in very high respect. Episode 1 has been living up to
            its hype and I was very impressed with the directing and the details
            in the animation. The quality of the animation is on par with OVAs. If
            the level of quality stays the same throughout the series and the
            story stays true to the game, then this is a must-see series for fans
            who love dramas.

            A new shoujo series I checked out this season was Peach Girl. Heard a
            lot about it since it was made into TV drama in Taiwan and was quite
            popular. First episode was pretty much character introduction but also
            set up nicely for some conflictions in the future. This should be a
            good series to follow if you are a shoujo fan. The other "Girl" series
            is just too painful to watch so watch this one instead. :)
          • shenotski
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
              Adding to the things to look for. Id like to add elfen lied to the
              mix. While it's not yuri it's been one of the better series ive seen
              in a long while. Though i will warn everyone that there is tons of
              nuddity and blood in this series that it would almost make ninja
              scroll look tame. Though here's the weird thing unlike everything with
              tons of blood and nudity it actually fits with the series. It's been
              licensed by ADV so hopefully it will come out domesticly around the
              summer.
            • Jen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2005

                > I'm not a gamer, so I knew nothing of the plot, but I
                > have seen 14 million pieces of Shion x KOS-MOS yuri fan art and
                > doujinshi...so I knew about them.
                >
                > Well, first episode in and I can see what the fandom was seeing.
                :-)

                Yah, the Shion/KOS-MOSOO pairing is a tad widespread, but any techgrrl
                who builds her own robo-woman and then straps on a frilly garter on
                it's leg obviously deserves a place on SOME list. ^_^

                I'm rather disappointed by the lack of overall quality in the
                direction and animation, but then, as a long-time Xenogears fan, I was
                disappointed by the Xenosaga game too, so I'm already biased.

                Shion/KOS-MOSOO aside, Allan has come through pretty much intact.
                He's the stereotypical "Nice Guy" (
                http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml ) who
                is the bane of all het girls (like me, until we Try Before We Bi and
                take some hot butch off the market for 8 months, incurring the hate of
                true dykes everywhere) ^_^

                Sadly, Shion apparently ditches her glasses in Xenosaga: Episode II
                (the game), which was a mistake of monolithic proportions. Why anyone
                would ditch such a Weapon of Mass Seduction, I don't know. YuriCon
                would crumble and fall if Yuriko ever got contacts.

                (... while I'm posting, howzabout a new Poll? I'd suggest "Which
                Baby-Dyke holds the most promise?", but I can think of enough to make
                a list (Kaorin, Anita, Hisami, Yoshino, Kirika... I'd add Tomoyo, but
                I wanna be fair to the others. Tomoyo's already the reigning queen of
                mainstream girly yuriness.)

                Y'know, despite AZU's Kaorin and NOIR's Kirika being roughly in the
                same school year, it's funny imagining these two in a study group.
                Kirika's set-in-stone moping next to Kaorin's random bursts of glee.
                Cute! I'm sure hangin' with Kaorin would do Kirika some good, too.
                ^_^

                (Italy. Evening. Candle-lit dinner with the finest red wine)

                KIRIKA: Ano... Mirielle-san?

                MIRIELLE: ...Hai?

                KIRIKA: ...

                MIRIELLE: ...

                * 7 Fighter Jets fly over, spouting rainbow smoketrails *

                MIRIELLE: WHAT DA F*CK???!!!

                * Kirika leans over balcony, gives Kaorin the thumbs up *

                ^_^

                Kisses XXOOXX
                Jen
              • Jen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                  > while I'm posting, howzabout a new Poll? I'd suggest "Which
                  Baby-Dyke holds the most promise?", but I *CAN'T* think of enough to
                  make a list (Kaorin, Anita, Hisami, Yoshino, Kirika...

                  Well, after just one episode of GAKUEN ALICE, I'm found another for
                  the Lis... I mean Poll.

                  I mean hey, just like Anita & Hisa in ROD TV's closing credits: the
                  gals are together and it's "sweet n' shit". What more proof do I
                  need? ^_^

                  Kisses XXOOXX
                  Jen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 22, 2005
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                    > Sadly, Shion apparently ditches her glasses in Xenosaga: Episode II
                    > (the game), which was a mistake of monolithic proportions. Why
                    anyone
                    > would ditch such a Weapon of Mass Seduction, I don't know. YuriCon
                    > would crumble and fall if Yuriko ever got contacts.

                    Agreed! LOL

                    Yuri wears contacts only when a role calls for it - she's not stupid.
                    A sultry glance over the edge of her glasses has captured many a
                    woman. ;-)

                  • Andy00@aol.com