Okazuki Top 10.

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
      I don't know where I got the "ki" from, but I'm sure calling it
      "OkaZOOki" will give Erica the irrits. You know we love ya! ^_^

      Actually, I gotta know 2 things:

      1. Everyone keeps mentioning the "Eeeeeeeeew"-inducing ROD TV Pencil
      Boards, but I've never seen any of 'em. I don't know what everyone's
      talking about, and I haven't picked up the DVD's yet (waiting for the
      eventual box set with special goodies). Does anyone have a snapshot
      of 'em?

      2. "Shounen Yuri?" That's the first I've heard of that term. I only
      just learnt about "S" anime yesterday. What's shounen yuri? Yuri for
      boys? (I remember the Shinobuden ninja boys weeping while watching a
      MariMite episode. Hee!).

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

        > I don't know where I got the "ki" from, but I'm sure calling it
        > "OkaZOOki" will give Erica the irrits. You know we love ya! ^_^

        I think I'm honored that you're giving it a horrible nickname.... I'm
        not sure though. LOL

        > Actually, I gotta know 2 things:
        >
        > 1. Everyone keeps mentioning the "Eeeeeeeeew"-inducing ROD TV
        Pencil
        > Boards, but I've never seen any of 'em. I don't know what
        everyone's
        > talking about, and I haven't picked up the DVD's yet (waiting for
        the
        > eventual box set with special goodies). Does anyone have a snapshot
        > of 'em?

        I don't have a link, but I can tell you that the pictures of Anita and
        Hisami are not only not work-safe (which goes for the others, as well)
        that they are likely to get one in trouble in most first-world
        countries with laws against such things.

        But I was really referring to the fact that they were just tacky and
        not very sexy at all. The Nenene pencil board is...ugh.

        If anyone posts a link to these, just remember - not work-safe.

        > 2. "Shounen Yuri?" That's the first I've heard of that term. I
        only
        > just learnt about "S" anime yesterday. What's shounen yuri? Yuri
        for
        > boys? (I remember the Shinobuden ninja boys weeping while watching
        > MariMite episode. Hee!).

        If you visit http://www.yuricon.org/essays/symg.html You'll find
        Kishiji Bando's (now sadly out of date) Shoujo Yuri Manga Guide. This
        list has, up to 2002 or so, some of the more notable shoujo and josei
        manga that had yuri. (I have contacted her about updaing it, and she
        says she's working on it, but slowly.)

        The opposite side of the coin can be called, therefore, shounen yuri -
        series for guys that have yuri. I'm pretty split down the middle , and
        have favorites in both, even though yesterday's split was 8 shounen 2
        shoujo...but that's simply because there has been a dearth of shoujo
        anime that has any yuri. Unless you count Kaleido Star as shoujo...
        then it's 7/3. Today's Top 10 will be split 6/4 in favor of
        shoujo/josei.

      • Resop
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
          --- Jen <puni@...> wrote:

          > 2. "Shounen Yuri?" That's the first I've heard of that term. I only
          > just learnt about "S" anime yesterday. What's shounen yuri? Yuri for
          > boys? (I remember the Shinobuden ninja boys weeping while watching a
          > MariMite episode. Hee!).

          I would guess that the term refers to an anime show with Yuri content
          who's manga was serialized in a publication (think those huge phone book
          things) that is marketed towards boys.

          The difference between anime derived from shoujo and shounen
          manga can be subtle. I have even created a video Shoujo or "No, Joe!"
          that makes it a game by give the viewer 90 seconds of clips of a show
          and then giving them 15 seconds to decide if the show was shoujo
          or not. Typically, two of the biggest "tells" would be if the show had a lot
          of flower motifs (shoujo) or if the girls were better looking than the lead
          guy (shounen). However, these distinctions are getting smaller and
          a large percentage of shows nowadays don't even come from manga.

          As for shoujo yuri, I might be over simplifying but I would guess that most
          of shoujo yuri is serialized is Magarete. Shoujo still has a very large
          diversity of publications compared to shounen which is concentrated
          in three main publications.

          Again, this is very probably oversimplification, but the difference between
          shoujo and shounen yuri is that in shounen yuri both of the participants in
          the yuri content would be "healthy" and extremely good looking, and
          their relationship would be very physical. There would also be a large
          "titillation" factor to the relationship (lots of fan service). Shoujo yuri
          the
          two participants would have a very deep emotional and spiritual bond,
          one would be a lot better looking than the other (but both would be cute)
          and most of the show would be about their interactions out of the bedroom
          or the onson.

          (braces for barrage of counter examples)

          Craig
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
            On Dec 30, 2004, at 10:30 AM, Resop wrote:

            > Again, this is very probably oversimplification, but the difference
            > between
            > shoujo and shounen yuri is that in shounen yuri both of the
            > participants in
            > the yuri content would be "healthy" and extremely good looking, and
            > their relationship would be very physical. There would also be a large
            > "titillation" factor to the relationship (lots of fan service).
            > Shoujo yuri
            > the

            I think an oversimplification would be: Shonen yuri makes your pants
            tight, Shoujo yuri makes you cry. ;)

            -==-
            Serge
            http://ximatl.blogspot.com
          • rosepress@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
              In a message dated 12/30/2004 10:13:25 AM Central Standard Time, ximatl@... writes:
              I think an oversimplification would be: Shonen  yuri makes your pants
              tight, Shoujo yuri makes you cry. ;)
              That's only if you're a guy. If you're a susceptible gal, both kinds make your pants cry.

              Rose
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
                On Dec 30, 2004, at 11:20 AM, rosepress@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 12/30/2004 10:13:25 AM Central Standard Time,
                > ximatl@... writes:
                >> I think an oversimplification would be: Shonen  yuri makes your pants
                >> tight, Shoujo yuri makes you cry. ;)
                > That's only if you're a guy. If you're a susceptible gal, both kinds
                > make your pants cry.
                >
                > Rose

                Hey now. Accuracy and exceptions have no place in a gross
                oversimplification. ;)

                -==-
                Serge
                http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Resop <resop2@y...> wrote:

                  > The difference between anime derived from shoujo and shounen
                  > manga can be subtle.

                  Agreed. Anime is a much more difficult distinction than manga. In
                  manga you have the magazine to go by, but for series like all of Bee
                  Train's work, you have to just sort of assume that the default is
                  shounen, just like her in the west, where all TV and movies are, by
                  default, geared towards men, except stuff that is specifically
                  targeted towards women, children, ethnic or other
                  orientation/lifestyle/age subset.

                  Typically, two of the biggest "tells" would be if the show had a lot
                  > of flower motifs (shoujo) or if the girls were better looking than
                  the lead
                  > guy (shounen).

                  LOL

                  However, these distinctions are getting smaller and
                  > a large percentage of shows nowadays don't even come from manga.

                  Agreed.

                  > As for shoujo yuri, I might be over simplifying but I would guess
                  that most
                  > of shoujo yuri is serialized is Magarete.

                  Yeah, that's oversimplifying. :-)

                  I just wrote up the Okazu Top 10 manga countdown and I have shoujo
                  yuri listed from Margaret, Hana to Yume, Bonita, Sun Publishing, Asuka
                  and Feel Comics/FC Gold. That's six completely different publishers.

                  Shoujo still has a very large
                  > diversity of publications compared to shounen which is concentrated
                  > in three main publications.

                  Really? That seems strange, because when I go to the local Sanseido,
                  there are significantly more than three shounen/seinen/men's manga
                  monthlies on the shelves.

                  The problem with any definition, is that yuri is spread out over
                  basically every genre of manga and anime, with individual examples
                  available from any genre/age group/style/time period, but with few
                  distinct publishers of its own. In a way, it makes yuri more fluid and
                  "alive", less beaten to death by specific conventions...but in another
                  way, it makes it annoying as hell to try and make suggestions to
                  people who want to "look for some good yuri" since personal
                  definitions of "good" and genre preferences can strongly color
                  recommendations.

                  You can walk into a manga store in Japan and go straight to the Boy's
                  Love section, but expect to see tons of carbon-copy stories. Finding
                  yuri is harder, but you might net Utena, Air Master, Yokohama Shopping
                  Log, Marimite and Kaguya-hime, none of which are remotely similar, but
                  are all fun in their own ways.

                • sean@centragarden.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
                    Someone was asking about the pencil boards enclosed with the DVDs, and their borderline
                    tasteful qualities. I can't find the Nenene or Hisami boards online, but the 3 sisters ones are
                    here at this site:

                    http://cupped-expressions.net/rod/tv/images-anime.php

                    anime02, 03, and 04 are the 3 boards. Note that these are PG-13 rated.

                    Cupped Expressions is my favorite ROD site online, for those unaware of it.

                    --SG
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 30, 2004
                      >From: sean@...
                      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [Yuricon] ROD pencil board images
                      >Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:36:45 -0500
                      >

                      >Someone was asking about the pencil boards enclosed with the DVDs, and
                      >their borderline
                      >tasteful qualities. I can't find the Nenene or Hisami boards online, but
                      >the 3 sisters ones are
                      >here at this site:
                      >
                      >http://cupped-expressions.net/rod/tv/images-anime.php
                      >
                      >anime02, 03, and 04 are the 3 boards. Note that these are PG-13 rated.

                      Thanks to AndersH on the lililcious channel, here is the totally non work-,
                      family-, friend, FBI-safe image of the Hisami pencil board:

                      http://web.comhem.se/~u65108947/rod4.jpg

                      The Nenene one is just ugly. I suppose I could scan it in, but...blecch.

                    • Jen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 31, 2004
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

                        > >the 3 sisters ones are here at this site..."
                        >
                        > "...here is the totally non work-, family-, friend, FBI-safe image
                        of the Hisami pencil board"

                        Ick.

                        Yup, that about sums it up. "Ick."

                        It always bewilders me why some companies deliberately set out to piss
                        off the people who want to buy their stuff. It vexes me. I am often
                        vexed.

                        So... what, did one of the marketeers hear a rumour that the size of
                        girl buyers for ROD TV was unusually high for an action anime, so he
                        turned to the next guy and said "make 'em show a little tit" or
                        something? Like Game Con management saying "Shit, look at all the
                        girls out there buying games! Quick, bring in more pole-dancers!
                        Let's show these girls what TRUE gaming is all about!"

                        And what, are they honest-to-God TRYING to make a lolicon fetish
                        acceptable in the western world? Is Hisami just the first step in
                        their plan to move the 30,000 Used-Undies Vending Machines they have
                        in a warehouse, thinking it'll be bigger than the iPod? Are they
                        gonna show that Pencil Board at "Think of the Children" PTA meetings
                        in their "What do we ban next" meetings?

                        I'm the type of crazy bint who likes to symbolically burn things, and
                        that pencil board has a date with my wrath next time I'm near the ROD
                        booth. They won't know I'm pissed off unless I tell 'em. And I will.

                        (looks at Hisami PB again)

                        Oh sweet Jesus. They seriously WANT to drive me away.

                        Kisses XXOOXX
                        Jen

                        (Aside from that, thanks for all the effort you went through to show
                        me the pics, guys n' gals!)
                      • Johann Chua
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 31, 2004
                          On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:29:27 -0000, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:
                          > So... what, did one of the marketeers hear a rumour that the size of
                          > girl buyers for ROD TV was unusually high for an action anime, so he
                          > turned to the next guy and said "make 'em show a little tit" or
                          > something? Like Game Con management saying "Shit, look at all the
                          > girls out there buying games! Quick, bring in more pole-dancers!
                          > Let's show these girls what TRUE gaming is all about!"

                          On the other hand, when the producers of EKO EKO AZARAK: WIZARD OF
                          DARKNESS found out the audience was mostly girls, they made sure that
                          the sequel had no gratuitous lesbian scenes. Then again the original
                          manga ran in a shoujo horror magazine so they should've expected that in
                          the first place.