RE: [Yuricon] Marimite anime: Lililicious or Anime-Keep?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
      >From: "Kensuke" <kensuke@...>

      >Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one is
      >better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?

      Lililicious. By far.

      I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.

      Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
      distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking just by
      sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most certainly do
      not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
      politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across than
      A-Keep.

      For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not just
      what they say, but how they say it.

      And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious channel all
      the time. :-)

    • Resop
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

        > >From: "Kensuke" <kensuke@...>
        >

        > >Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one is
        > >better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?
        >
        > Lililicious. By far.
        >
        > I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.
        >
        > Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
        > distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking just by
        > sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most certainly do
        > not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
        > politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across than
        > A-Keep.
        >
        > For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not just
        > what they say, but how they say it.
        >
        > And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious channel all
        > the time. :-)

        However, in Anime-Keep's defense, they are nine episodes ahead in
        subtitling Maria-sama ga Miteru - Spring, so if you can't wait to find out
        what happens, you would go with Anime-Keep.

        On the other hand, not to sound like a true digi-sub snob, but some
        series have enjoyed multiple fan-sub groups putting out subs one week or
        less after they aired on TV. (Of course, you get the time overlay in
        the left hand upper hand corner.)

        I'm not saying that Anime-Keep and Lililicious are slow (since they aren't
        using satellite feeds), but, I am impatient to see the end of the series.

        Craig
      • Kensuke
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
          Answering all comments (I have a bad, bad habit of deleting mails as soon as
          I read them, so I won't remember who said what, sorry u.u'''')

          I already expected some biased opinions for Lililicious, but still I wanted
          to see the jusifications. As for giving it more than episode 1, that was the
          reason I asked the question... I didn't want to base a choice only by the
          first ep but it would take lots of time to download the others and compare
          (what good is to have DSL if ther is a huge server firewall which keeps you
          from reaching a good download speed? ¬¬)

          Anyways, I decided to go for Lililicious, if not for what Erica said below,
          to support the group. I read Marimite and Pieta manga from Lililicious
          andabsolutely loved them! I think I'm finally getting initiated on the yuri
          world. XD

          Thanks for all the opinions!

          Kensuke,
          Editor of Japan Sekai News (S-News) - www.s-news.org (sorry people,
          portuguese only)
          > >Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one
          is
          > >better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?
          >
          > Lililicious. By far.
          >
          > I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.
          >
          > Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
          > distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking just by
          > sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most certainly
          do
          > not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
          > politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across than
          > A-Keep.
          >
          > For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not just
          > what they say, but how they say it.
          >
          > And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious channel
          all
          > the time. :-)

          > http://www.yuricon.org

          > Because fanfic does not have to suck
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
            On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Resop wrote:

            > --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
            >
            >>> From: "Kensuke" <kensuke@...>
            >>

            >>> Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which
            >>> one is
            >>> better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?
            >>
            >> Lililicious. By far.
            >>
            >> I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.
            >>
            >> Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
            >> distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking
            >> just by
            >> sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most
            >> certainly do
            >> not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
            >> politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across
            >> than
            >> A-Keep.
            >>
            >> For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not
            >> just
            >> what they say, but how they say it.
            >>
            >> And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious
            >> channel all
            >> the time. :-)
            >>

            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> Erica
            >
            > However, in Anime-Keep's defense, they are nine episodes ahead in
            > subtitling Maria-sama ga Miteru - Spring, so if you can't wait to find
            > out
            > what happens, you would go with Anime-Keep.

            Actually, you wouldn't. Anime-Keep is subbing the first season only, at
            this point, and their last episode is 9. The A-Source/Lillicious combo
            completed the first series as well as the Naisho specials that came on
            the DVDs. So, if you're watching the first series, you want to watch
            the A-Source/Lillicious subs as they finished the series, and the
            specials, and their translations are better.
            Craig, you're confusing Anime-Keep with Ayu who is doing Haru series
            and is stalled at Episode 10, while Lillicious just released Episode 2.
            Anime Keep is not doing Haru.

            > On the other hand, not to sound like a true digi-sub snob, but some
            > series have enjoyed multiple fan-sub groups putting out subs one week
            > or
            > less after they aired on TV. (Of course, you get the time overlay in
            > the left hand upper hand corner.)

            I suppose that depends on what's important to you. Some people need to
            have it right away and are OK with a few translation gaffes here and
            there. Other people prefer accuracy over speed. For myself, unless the
            translation is HK level bad, I'll watch just about anything, since
            Japanese is such a hard language to translate. Though, the better the
            translation the less I comment to myself about how I might have
            translated the lines I understand differently. But, that's just me. ;)

            > I'm not saying that Anime-Keep and Lililicious are slow (since they
            > aren't
            > using satellite feeds), but, I am impatient to see the end of the
            > series.

            If you were really that impatient you would have watched the raws like
            some of us, and/or spoiled yourself with the synopses that are archived
            on this list. ;)

            Oh, and as far a personal preference, Lillicious over Anime Keep and/or
            Ayu. Ditto Erica's reasons, and I don't work for Lillicious or hang out
            in the channel, at least not at this point. ;)

            -==-
            Serge
            http://ximatl.blogspot.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
              >From: Resop <resop2@...>

              >However, in Anime-Keep's defense, they are nine episodes ahead in
              >subtitling Maria-sama ga Miteru - Spring, so if you can't wait to find out
              >what happens, you would go with Anime-Keep.

              You're confusing A-Keep with *Ayu,* who is indeed doing Maria-sama ga Miteru
              ~ Haru.

              Ayu has put out Episode 10 of ~ Haru up to this point, and I believe that
              11 and 12 are imminent.

              Anime Keep is subbing the first season, which had already been completed by
              A-Source and Lililiicious as a joint venture.