Marimite anime: Lililicious or Anime-Keep?

  • Kensuke
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
      Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one is better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep? I saw both groups's version of ep 1.... points for Lililicious one: more names in japanese (I like this ^^), prettier subs XD. Points for Anime-Keep: it seemed to me image quaility was a little better, and some translations made more sense (and, of course, there were the lyrics for Maria-sama no Kokoro song ^^). Do someone have a suggestion for me to download the rest of the series?

      It may seem some minor issues, and they are XP. But I tend to notice this kind of thing....

      Kensuke,
      Editor of Japan Sekai News (S-News) - www.s-news.org (sorry people, portuguese only)
    • Katerina Ehas
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
        >Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one is
        >better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep? I saw
        >both groups's version of ep 1.... points for Lililicious one: more names in
        >japanese (I like this ^^), prettier subs XD. Points for Anime-Keep: it
        >seemed to me image quaility was a little better, and some translations made
        >more sense (and, of course, there were the lyrics for Maria-sama no Kokoro
        >song ^^). Do someone have a suggestion for me to download the rest of the
        >series?
        >
        >It may seem some minor issues, and they are XP. But I tend to notice this
        >kind of thing....

        Kensuke,

        I can't speak to the issues of what you like and don't like in your
        translations, but I will point out that there are a number of the fabulous
        lililicious fansubbers here on this list, so you're not likely to get an
        unbiased opinion about which sub is the best. ~_^ Most of us here are
        huge fans of the lililicious subs. ^_^

        Katya
      • Ka-chan
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
          All I have to say is...

          Give it more than episode 1. >_>

          We take pride in our TL dept over at #lili. Everyone makes mistakes
          when they release the first episode and it's a brand new series.
          A-Keep didn't actually release til weeks (if not a month or 2) after
          us. They had the benefit of the doubt.

          And if it makes any other difference, lili's TL has been stolen by at
          least 2 groups, one indirectly and one directly (minus litterally a
          couple words).

          Long Live Lililicious.

          ~Ka-chan aka Sumiregawa-kun~
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
            >From: "Kensuke" <kensuke@...>

            >Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one is
            >better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?

            Lililicious. By far.

            I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.

            Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
            distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking just by
            sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most certainly do
            not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
            politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across than
            A-Keep.

            For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not just
            what they say, but how they say it.

            And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious channel all
            the time. :-)

          • Resop
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
              --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

              > >From: "Kensuke" <kensuke@...>
              >

              > >Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one is
              > >better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?
              >
              > Lililicious. By far.
              >
              > I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.
              >
              > Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
              > distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking just by
              > sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most certainly do
              > not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
              > politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across than
              > A-Keep.
              >
              > For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not just
              > what they say, but how they say it.
              >
              > And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious channel all
              > the time. :-)

              However, in Anime-Keep's defense, they are nine episodes ahead in
              subtitling Maria-sama ga Miteru - Spring, so if you can't wait to find out
              what happens, you would go with Anime-Keep.

              On the other hand, not to sound like a true digi-sub snob, but some
              series have enjoyed multiple fan-sub groups putting out subs one week or
              less after they aired on TV. (Of course, you get the time overlay in
              the left hand upper hand corner.)

              I'm not saying that Anime-Keep and Lililicious are slow (since they aren't
              using satellite feeds), but, I am impatient to see the end of the series.

              Craig
            • Kensuke
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
                Answering all comments (I have a bad, bad habit of deleting mails as soon as
                I read them, so I won't remember who said what, sorry u.u'''')

                I already expected some biased opinions for Lililicious, but still I wanted
                to see the jusifications. As for giving it more than episode 1, that was the
                reason I asked the question... I didn't want to base a choice only by the
                first ep but it would take lots of time to download the others and compare
                (what good is to have DSL if ther is a huge server firewall which keeps you
                from reaching a good download speed? ¬¬)

                Anyways, I decided to go for Lililicious, if not for what Erica said below,
                to support the group. I read Marimite and Pieta manga from Lililicious
                andabsolutely loved them! I think I'm finally getting initiated on the yuri
                world. XD

                Thanks for all the opinions!

                Kensuke,
                Editor of Japan Sekai News (S-News) - www.s-news.org (sorry people,
                portuguese only)
                > >Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which one
                is
                > >better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?
                >
                > Lililicious. By far.
                >
                > I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.
                >
                > Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
                > distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking just by
                > sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most certainly
                do
                > not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
                > politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across than
                > A-Keep.
                >
                > For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not just
                > what they say, but how they say it.
                >
                > And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious channel
                all
                > the time. :-)

                > http://www.yuricon.org

                > Because fanfic does not have to suck
              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
                  On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Resop wrote:

                  > --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>> From: "Kensuke" <kensuke@...>
                  >>

                  >>> Pretty simple question, but can get pretty complex results ^^. Which
                  >>> one is
                  >>> better, the translation/subbing made by Lililicious or by Anime-Keep?
                  >>
                  >> Lililicious. By far.
                  >>
                  >> I saw A-Keep's trans at Otakon and was amazed how bland it was.
                  >>
                  >> Of course, I'm a poopie-head about voice. Each character speaks *so*
                  >> distinctly that, even in the novels now, i can tell who is talking
                  >> just by
                  >> sentence construction. (Especially Sachiko and Sei.) They most
                  >> certainly do
                  >> not all say, "thank you" all the time. There are so many levels of
                  >> politeness, and lililicious comes much closer to getting those across
                  >> than
                  >> A-Keep.
                  >>
                  >> For me, this is the major point of lili subs and scans - to get not
                  >> just
                  >> what they say, but how they say it.
                  >>
                  >> And yes, I'm wildly biased, since I hang around the #lililicious
                  >> channel all
                  >> the time. :-)
                  >>

                  >> Cheers,
                  >>
                  >> Erica
                  >
                  > However, in Anime-Keep's defense, they are nine episodes ahead in
                  > subtitling Maria-sama ga Miteru - Spring, so if you can't wait to find
                  > out
                  > what happens, you would go with Anime-Keep.

                  Actually, you wouldn't. Anime-Keep is subbing the first season only, at
                  this point, and their last episode is 9. The A-Source/Lillicious combo
                  completed the first series as well as the Naisho specials that came on
                  the DVDs. So, if you're watching the first series, you want to watch
                  the A-Source/Lillicious subs as they finished the series, and the
                  specials, and their translations are better.
                  Craig, you're confusing Anime-Keep with Ayu who is doing Haru series
                  and is stalled at Episode 10, while Lillicious just released Episode 2.
                  Anime Keep is not doing Haru.

                  > On the other hand, not to sound like a true digi-sub snob, but some
                  > series have enjoyed multiple fan-sub groups putting out subs one week
                  > or
                  > less after they aired on TV. (Of course, you get the time overlay in
                  > the left hand upper hand corner.)

                  I suppose that depends on what's important to you. Some people need to
                  have it right away and are OK with a few translation gaffes here and
                  there. Other people prefer accuracy over speed. For myself, unless the
                  translation is HK level bad, I'll watch just about anything, since
                  Japanese is such a hard language to translate. Though, the better the
                  translation the less I comment to myself about how I might have
                  translated the lines I understand differently. But, that's just me. ;)

                  > I'm not saying that Anime-Keep and Lililicious are slow (since they
                  > aren't
                  > using satellite feeds), but, I am impatient to see the end of the
                  > series.

                  If you were really that impatient you would have watched the raws like
                  some of us, and/or spoiled yourself with the synopses that are archived
                  on this list. ;)

                  Oh, and as far a personal preference, Lillicious over Anime Keep and/or
                  Ayu. Ditto Erica's reasons, and I don't work for Lillicious or hang out
                  in the channel, at least not at this point. ;)

                  -==-
                  Serge
                  http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
                    >From: Resop <resop2@...>

                    >However, in Anime-Keep's defense, they are nine episodes ahead in
                    >subtitling Maria-sama ga Miteru - Spring, so if you can't wait to find out
                    >what happens, you would go with Anime-Keep.

                    You're confusing A-Keep with *Ayu,* who is indeed doing Maria-sama ga Miteru
                    ~ Haru.

                    Ayu has put out Episode 10 of ~ Haru up to this point, and I believe that
                    11 and 12 are imminent.

                    Anime Keep is subbing the first season, which had already been completed by
                    A-Source and Lililiicious as a joint venture.