Quick question for owners of the UTENA movie DVD.

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
      I'd like to pick up the UTENA movie DVD tomorrow, but I have a quick
      question about the thang. I feel confident that there would be at
      least *one* owner of the DVD in the YuriCon Mailing List. ^_^

      Is it possible to watch the movie with Japanese audio, plus subtitles
      for the voices, but *excluding* subtitles for the BackGround Music?

      Or are the voice and karaoke subtitles locked together?

      I'd like to pick it up tomorrow morning, so "From what I remember, I
      think you can" won't be as helpful as it would normally be. I'm
      hoping some kind soul could pop the dvd into their machine and
      actually try the thang out.

      ...pretty please? I swear to lend to at least 5 friends. ^_^

      (and just where IS my Utena transformer doll? C'mon, Japan! I
      expected better of you!)

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

        > Is it possible to watch the movie with Japanese audio, plus
        subtitles
        > for the voices, but *excluding* subtitles for the BackGround Music?

        There's no option to lose the song subtitles...not only that, but
        prepare yourself for pretty crappy audio on "Toki ni Ai ha" and "Rinbu
        Revolution".

        It drives me crazy every time I watch it.

      • shenotski
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
          I think that it would depend on your player, just mess around with your subtitles button. IF
          they were nice you shouldn't have a locked subtitle or audio track. I got the collecters
          edition (Which all it really had as a bonus was a ton of advertisments on another DVD) so i
          don't know how things are on the standard editon but i was able to switch audio and turn
          subtitles off on mine. I also went to a really scary place analizing the movie when i made
          an AMV of it but that's another story.

          Good luck, the utena movie will DRIVE you crazy.

          Isaac Fischer
        • Jewel
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
            >Good luck, the utena movie will DRIVE you crazy.

            Ack! Bad pun! Bad pun! *Chokes and dies*

            (Sorry I just had to say that >,< ;;; )

            Jewel >^!^<

            ~minna aishite aisarete~

          • Adam Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
              On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:48:16 -0000, "shenotski" <duomaxwell@...>
              wrote:

              > Good luck, the utena movie will DRIVE you crazy.

              Shh! We'd better Jeep it quiet, otherwise all this race-ist car-ping
              will spoil the movie for Jen...
              .oO("(the cracked version)" )
            • Jen
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@y...> wrote:
                > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:48:16 -0000, "shenotski" <duomaxwell@f...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > Shh! We'd better Jeep it quiet, otherwise all this race-ist car-ping
                > will spoil the movie for Jen...

                Oh, not at all. I've already seen the movie (search the YuriCon ML
                archives for "Utena popped my adolescence". Sucks that the website
                can only search a few posts at a time, though).

                There, y'see? No need for anyone to cruelly judge and smite DVD
                encodes. People like me download 'em, watch a lovely hi-quality AVI,
                and because we liked it, go out and buy the DVD. The system works. ^_^

                ...although I DO delete all webcomics from my PC when said webcomic
                starts publishing it in book format. I mean, there's wrong and
                there's wrong. ^_^

                Kisses XXOOXX
                Jen
              • rosepress@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 12/1/2004 6:15:35 AM Central Standard Time, puni@... writes:
                  ...although I DO delete all webcomics from my PC when said webcomic
                  starts publishing it in book format.  I mean, there's wrong and
                  there's wrong.  ^_^
                  I keep it on my PC, AND buy the book format. Why not?

                  Rose
                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 12 7:43 AM
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:

                    > "Oh, not at all. I've already seen the movie (search the YuriCon ML
                    > archives for 'Utena popped my adolescence'."

                    Well, it's anime night; and feeling gushy, I decided to screen the
                    Utena movie. Two things:

                    1. I hate I hate I HATE karaoke subs. I want my BackGround Music in
                    the BACK GROUND, dammit! What's the point of seeing "Mou ichido deau"
                    when half the catpack can't understand it? I understand it, which
                    makes me hate it all the more. -_-

                    2. The Dance Among the Stars scene was the first thing that came into
                    my mind when the moment was subtly replayed in GAKUEN ALICE episode 2,
                    starring the Kodocha-riffic babydyke Mikan. I knew then and there I'd
                    be making a music video of it someday. Now that everyone's gone home,
                    it's the perfect moment to spend an hour in front of the PC doin' my
                    thang while Fairly Perceptive Spouse sleeps it off behind me. ^_^

                    http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/RG-Alice.zip

                    This ain't an official submission to Yuri Studios (if it was, I'd be
                    posting on THAT Mailing List). This is just me changing the music for
                    just that one scene. Anyway... I was grinning the whole time I worked
                    on it, so a good time was had by all. Enjoy!

                    Kisses XXOOXX
                    Jen