Re: [Yuricon] Re: Recruiting for "The List"

  • mantennashowers@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
      In a message dated 11/5/2004 3:34:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, theo@... writes:
      I have always preferred the sub format when watching anime, but I still
      believe dubbing is necessary. Trust me, I think "Innocence" would have
      made more if it were dubbed. All those visuals that were going on
      screen, and having to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen
      really does make the whole thing a different viewing experience. This
      is just my opinion.
      From what I've observed, voice talent can help immensely with a show's quality when the animation resources are limited or skimped on. For a while, I watched Pokemon in raw Japanese after renting the bikini contest episode at Video Jun. The voice talent really worked with energizing the limited animation.

      Unfortunately, anime dub companies keep a limited actor roster and/or outsource to Canada for the most part. This past week, I got some mp3s of various WB toon themes in Japanese and they sounded great. But even though you get someone like Ikue Ootani (Pikachu, Chopper) covering Dot Warner in Japan, the reverse won't happen with a VA union member doing an anime dub.