Re: [Yuricon] Recruiting for "The List"

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
      >From: KathrynDarkStar@...

      > >granted, I haven't seen the show, but... that seems more of a
      > >"thankyouforbeingmyfriendiwuvyou"-snuggle rather than a... "oh...
      > >god... you make my heart beat so fast and and and"-embrace. love is...
      > >well. awkward. e___e plenty of girls hug and tell their friends they
      > >love them. I probably shouldn't be speaking, since I haven't seen it,
      > >but hey. ^^; Just thought I'd give my two cents.

      You see my problem! LOL This is why I usually wait for a few people to
      confirm the request. Especially when I haven't seen the series in question.

      If "The List" was only for "real" lesbians, I'd be getting emails all the
      time demanding why certain characters were or were not on the darn thing
      until it drove me to distraction. That's why I err on the side of leniency
      and allow people to request names that really, let's face it, don't belong.
      :-)

    • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004

        granted, I haven't seen the show, but... that seems more of a
        "thankyouforbeingmyfriendiwuvyou"-snuggle rather than a... "oh...
        god... you make my heart beat so fast and and and"-embrace. love is...
        well. awkward. e___e  plenty of girls hug and tell their friends they
        love them. I probably shouldn't be speaking, since I haven't seen it,
        but hey. ^^; Just thought I'd give my two cents.
        Spoiler warning!!! Not like you can find a VHS/DVD of Key The Metal Idol anymore anyway.

        -twitches violently- Well, I stayed up all night to rewatch the entire series. I couldn't find the first VHS, and assumed that I had left it at my ex-girlfriends house, but whatever... In the 7th VHS, halfway through, Key collapses ontop of Sakura after a very stressful night. Sakura is holding Key close to her as she sleeps, and is blushing and looking down at her and says "I feel uneasy about holding you like this, since we're both girls." At that point she goes on about how beautiful Key's mother must have been and then falls asleep holding Key in her arms. >_< Is that enough proof?

        Oh, and watching it more... -watches as she types- When Sakura is chased by a giant machine thing she says "Key... I'm sorry.. I can't run anymore..." and then when the machine finds her hiding, she screams out Key's name.  Why didn't she cry out to her may-as-well-be boyfriend, Tataki?! Or or or... Any of her other friends?! She chose key because she loves her. Yes, that's it. -twitches and sips at coffee-

        In the last episode -rubs her bloodshot eyes- Key goes into her own little world that she goes into sometime because 50,000 spirits are in her body and she can talk to them. When she talks to her mother, she says "Key, why did you always go to Sakura for love when your Grandmother and I were always here?" So yeah... They DID love eachother.

        So hah. Now I can finally go to sleep.

        -Kat
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
          >From: KathrynDarkStar@...
          >

          >Spoiler warning!!! Not like you can find a VHS/DVD of Key The Metal Idol
          >anymore anyway.
          >
          >In the 7th VHS, halfway through, Key
          >collapses ontop of Sakura after a very stressful night. Sakura is holding
          >Key close
          >to her as she sleeps, and is blushing and looking down at her and says "I
          >feel
          >uneasy about holding you like this, since we're both girls." At that point
          >she goes on about how beautiful Key's mother must have been and then falls
          >asleep holding Key in her arms. >_< Is that enough proof?

          Uh...for me that's the exact opposite of proof. It seems that Sakura is
          finding a very non-sexual, non-attraction based justification to be
          comfortable holding Key.

          >In the last episode -rubs her bloodshot eyes- Key goes into her own little
          >world that she goes into sometime because 50,000 spirits are in her body
          >and
          >she can talk to them. When she talks to her mother, she says "Key, why did
          >you
          >always go to Sakura for love when your Grandmother and I were always here?"
          >So yeah... They DID love eachother.
          >
          >So hah. Now I can finally go to sleep.

          Sounds like a good case of suki/akogare, anyway.

          Was this dub or sub? Just out of curiosity - I'm unlikely to watch this. As
          much as I adore Iwao Junko, I can't bring myself to sit through Key.

        • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
            >Uh...for me that's the exact opposite of proof. It seems that Sakura is
            >finding a very non-sexual, non-attraction
            based justification to be
            >comfortable holding Key.

             -collapses- noo!! All of my hard work was for nothing! -breaks down and cries-

             >Was this dub or sub? Just out of curiosity - I'm unlikely to watch this. As
            >much as I adore Iwao Junko, I can't bring myself to sit
            through Key.

            Sub, of course. The only way that I can force myself to watch Dubbed is it it's free On Demand.
          • shenotski
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
              The dubbing on key it is very good.Then again if you have a thing
              against dubs i dought this will change your mind.
              > Sub, of course. The only way that I can force myself to watch Dubbed
              is it
              > it's free On Demand.
            • Jeyl
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                I have always preferred the sub format when watching anime, but I still
                believe dubbing is necessary. Trust me, I think "Innocence" would have
                made more if it were dubbed. All those visuals that were going on
                screen, and having to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen
                really does make the whole thing a different viewing experience. This
                is just my opinion.

              • rosepress@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                  In a message dated 11/5/2004 5:34:38 AM Central Standard Time, theo@... writes:
                  I have always preferred the sub format when watching anime, but I still
                  believe dubbing is necessary. Trust me, I think "Innocence" would have
                  made more if it were dubbed. All those visuals that were going on
                  screen, and having to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen
                  really does make the whole thing a different viewing experience. This
                  is just my opinion.
                  I like 'em both, but as my ears age and the high frequencies drop out, I'm relying more and more on subs.

                  Rose
                • mantennashowers@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                    In a message dated 11/5/2004 3:34:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, theo@... writes:
                    I have always preferred the sub format when watching anime, but I still
                    believe dubbing is necessary. Trust me, I think "Innocence" would have
                    made more if it were dubbed. All those visuals that were going on
                    screen, and having to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen
                    really does make the whole thing a different viewing experience. This
                    is just my opinion.
                    From what I've observed, voice talent can help immensely with a show's quality when the animation resources are limited or skimped on. For a while, I watched Pokemon in raw Japanese after renting the bikini contest episode at Video Jun. The voice talent really worked with energizing the limited animation.

                    Unfortunately, anime dub companies keep a limited actor roster and/or outsource to Canada for the most part. This past week, I got some mp3s of various WB toon themes in Japanese and they sounded great. But even though you get someone like Ikue Ootani (Pikachu, Chopper) covering Dot Warner in Japan, the reverse won't happen with a VA union member doing an anime dub.