Recruiting for "The List"

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
      I've just done a much-needed update on "The List" (http://www.yuricon
      org/list/) and I was wondering what others names you folks -
      especially you female-type folks, for whom this organization was
      created...

      Let me just go over the not particularly scientific requirements:

      I don't have to have seen/read a series, but if I haven't, then I
      basically like to have more than one person's email that asks for
      someone to be added. At least one person had a friend of his send me a
      spurious "me too" message and I put the damn character on the page,
      but you know...no one else has EVER asked for the character, which
      makes me think that it's a crap suggestion.

      I'm trying to make sure we have reasonably slashable characters even
      when they really aren't lesbian, like Youko from Marimite. But to be
      slashable, don't just send me anyone ever that's been slashed, or you
      think that they ought to be slashed, especially with someone from
      another series, 'cause it would be "cool."

      The basic rule of thumb is, the character ought to appear be in, or
      desire, a lesbian relationship with another character.
      Akogare/admiration that goes over the top is fine. Squealing "suteki!"
      and jumping up and down isn't really enough.

      Please, PLEASE, don't suggest characters already on "The List". It
      makes me crazy. Read the damn thing first! LOL

      So...one more thing before I open the floor. Originally some of the
      ladies of Ranma 1/2 were on "The List". In a fit of pique I threw them
      off a few months ago, because even though they were there, people kept
      suggesting them anyway. Here's the question...do we think that Akane
      and Nabiki are really "List" material? If I get majority of "yes"s,
      they'll go back up. Even if it makes me clench my jaw. :-)

      Oh, and if a name isn't there, don't ask - "Why isn't it there?" The
      answer is either: a) I didn't know about it, OR; b) the person in
      question is unquestionably straight and you are an idiot for
      suggesting her OR, c) I've gotten one request for the character, but
      am waiting for a second opinion of the character's yuri goggle rating.
      You can decide which is the correct answer in your case. LOL

    • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
        Key the Metal Idol's  Tokiko Mima (aka Key) and Sakura Kuriyagawa. ^^ A VERY obvious yuri couple. They even admit their love to eachother damnit! >_<; Here's a picture to show you their yuri-ness.

        Now come on! How can you deny them?

        -Kat
      • Niki
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
          granted, I haven't seen the show, but... that seems more of a
          "thankyouforbeingmyfriendiwuvyou"-snuggle rather than a... "oh...
          god... you make my heart beat so fast and and and"-embrace. love is...
          well. awkward. e___e plenty of girls hug and tell their friends they
          love them. I probably shouldn't be speaking, since I haven't seen it,
          but hey. ^^; Just thought I'd give my two cents.

          ~Elae
        • mantennashowers@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
            In a message dated 11/1/2004 1:46:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, anilesbocon01@... writes:
            I've just done a much-needed update on "The List" (http://www.yuricon.
            org/list/) and I was wondering what others names you folks -
            especially you female-type folks, for whom this organization was
            created...
            Oh man, I wish I'd looked through that before I went to Ani-Magic. I asked for yuri manga there and they pointed me to Chobits. LOL Well, Chii is cute and props have to go out to anything so open to love society frowns on. But I want some stuff that's not too racy or regularly dodging the issue to save their skin.

            As for the List... mmm, there's a tough one. I see yaoi, yuri and slash all over the place. In the past month, I believe I did a number of firsts, at least on fanfiction.net: first Sky Captain femmeslash, and if not the the first Team America fanfiction period at least the first one with slash relationships not really established in the movie.

             Ever since I rented a raw copy of the second CCSakura movie some years back, I quite enjoy the idea of Tomoyo/Meilin. I loved how it was left open unlike that wretched Digimon 02 finale. So here's a nod for Meilin.
          • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004

              >granted, I haven't seen the show, but... that seems more of a
              >"thankyouforbeingmyfriendiwuvyou"-snuggle rather than a... "oh...
              >god... you make my heart beat so fast and and and"-embrace. love is...
              >well. awkward. e___e  plenty of girls hug and tell their friends they
              >love them. I probably shouldn't be speaking, since I haven't seen it,
              >but hey. ^^; Just thought I'd give my two cents.

              Eh, you're right. >_< but I SWEAR they're a yuri couple. Just watch the show! You'll see! I haven't seen it in well over a year, but I'm pretty sure that Sakura admits her love to Key while key is all depressed and Sakura and comforting her... Could be wrong. All I remember is that they were by a window. Hehe. I'll have to rewatch the series and get back to you on that. >_< However I think I lost the first VHS (Yes, VHS. They still exist in the dark corners of poor Otaku's rooms) when I moved, but I'll have to see.

              -Kat
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
                >From: KathrynDarkStar@...

                > >granted, I haven't seen the show, but... that seems more of a
                > >"thankyouforbeingmyfriendiwuvyou"-snuggle rather than a... "oh...
                > >god... you make my heart beat so fast and and and"-embrace. love is...
                > >well. awkward. e___e plenty of girls hug and tell their friends they
                > >love them. I probably shouldn't be speaking, since I haven't seen it,
                > >but hey. ^^; Just thought I'd give my two cents.

                You see my problem! LOL This is why I usually wait for a few people to
                confirm the request. Especially when I haven't seen the series in question.

                If "The List" was only for "real" lesbians, I'd be getting emails all the
                time demanding why certain characters were or were not on the darn thing
                until it drove me to distraction. That's why I err on the side of leniency
                and allow people to request names that really, let's face it, don't belong.
                :-)

              • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004

                  granted, I haven't seen the show, but... that seems more of a
                  "thankyouforbeingmyfriendiwuvyou"-snuggle rather than a... "oh...
                  god... you make my heart beat so fast and and and"-embrace. love is...
                  well. awkward. e___e  plenty of girls hug and tell their friends they
                  love them. I probably shouldn't be speaking, since I haven't seen it,
                  but hey. ^^; Just thought I'd give my two cents.
                  Spoiler warning!!! Not like you can find a VHS/DVD of Key The Metal Idol anymore anyway.

                  -twitches violently- Well, I stayed up all night to rewatch the entire series. I couldn't find the first VHS, and assumed that I had left it at my ex-girlfriends house, but whatever... In the 7th VHS, halfway through, Key collapses ontop of Sakura after a very stressful night. Sakura is holding Key close to her as she sleeps, and is blushing and looking down at her and says "I feel uneasy about holding you like this, since we're both girls." At that point she goes on about how beautiful Key's mother must have been and then falls asleep holding Key in her arms. >_< Is that enough proof?

                  Oh, and watching it more... -watches as she types- When Sakura is chased by a giant machine thing she says "Key... I'm sorry.. I can't run anymore..." and then when the machine finds her hiding, she screams out Key's name.  Why didn't she cry out to her may-as-well-be boyfriend, Tataki?! Or or or... Any of her other friends?! She chose key because she loves her. Yes, that's it. -twitches and sips at coffee-

                  In the last episode -rubs her bloodshot eyes- Key goes into her own little world that she goes into sometime because 50,000 spirits are in her body and she can talk to them. When she talks to her mother, she says "Key, why did you always go to Sakura for love when your Grandmother and I were always here?" So yeah... They DID love eachother.

                  So hah. Now I can finally go to sleep.

                  -Kat
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
                    >From: KathrynDarkStar@...
                    >

                    >Spoiler warning!!! Not like you can find a VHS/DVD of Key The Metal Idol
                    >anymore anyway.
                    >
                    >In the 7th VHS, halfway through, Key
                    >collapses ontop of Sakura after a very stressful night. Sakura is holding
                    >Key close
                    >to her as she sleeps, and is blushing and looking down at her and says "I
                    >feel
                    >uneasy about holding you like this, since we're both girls." At that point
                    >she goes on about how beautiful Key's mother must have been and then falls
                    >asleep holding Key in her arms. >_< Is that enough proof?

                    Uh...for me that's the exact opposite of proof. It seems that Sakura is
                    finding a very non-sexual, non-attraction based justification to be
                    comfortable holding Key.

                    >In the last episode -rubs her bloodshot eyes- Key goes into her own little
                    >world that she goes into sometime because 50,000 spirits are in her body
                    >and
                    >she can talk to them. When she talks to her mother, she says "Key, why did
                    >you
                    >always go to Sakura for love when your Grandmother and I were always here?"
                    >So yeah... They DID love eachother.
                    >
                    >So hah. Now I can finally go to sleep.

                    Sounds like a good case of suki/akogare, anyway.

                    Was this dub or sub? Just out of curiosity - I'm unlikely to watch this. As
                    much as I adore Iwao Junko, I can't bring myself to sit through Key.

                  • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
                      >Uh...for me that's the exact opposite of proof. It seems that Sakura is
                      >finding a very non-sexual, non-attraction
                      based justification to be
                      >comfortable holding Key.

                       -collapses- noo!! All of my hard work was for nothing! -breaks down and cries-

                       >Was this dub or sub? Just out of curiosity - I'm unlikely to watch this. As
                      >much as I adore Iwao Junko, I can't bring myself to sit
                      through Key.

                      Sub, of course. The only way that I can force myself to watch Dubbed is it it's free On Demand.
                    • shenotski
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                        The dubbing on key it is very good.Then again if you have a thing
                        against dubs i dought this will change your mind.
                        > Sub, of course. The only way that I can force myself to watch Dubbed
                        is it
                        > it's free On Demand.
                      • Jeyl
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                          I have always preferred the sub format when watching anime, but I still
                          believe dubbing is necessary. Trust me, I think "Innocence" would have
                          made more if it were dubbed. All those visuals that were going on
                          screen, and having to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen
                          really does make the whole thing a different viewing experience. This
                          is just my opinion.

                        • rosepress@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                            In a message dated 11/5/2004 5:34:38 AM Central Standard Time, theo@... writes:
                            I have always preferred the sub format when watching anime, but I still
                            believe dubbing is necessary. Trust me, I think "Innocence" would have
                            made more if it were dubbed. All those visuals that were going on
                            screen, and having to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen
                            really does make the whole thing a different viewing experience. This
                            is just my opinion.
                            I like 'em both, but as my ears age and the high frequencies drop out, I'm relying more and more on subs.

                            Rose
                          • mantennashowers@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 5, 2004
                              In a message dated 11/5/2004 3:34:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, theo@... writes:
                              I have always preferred the sub format when watching anime, but I still
                              believe dubbing is necessary. Trust me, I think "Innocence" would have
                              made more if it were dubbed. All those visuals that were going on
                              screen, and having to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen
                              really does make the whole thing a different viewing experience. This
                              is just my opinion.
                              From what I've observed, voice talent can help immensely with a show's quality when the animation resources are limited or skimped on. For a while, I watched Pokemon in raw Japanese after renting the bikini contest episode at Video Jun. The voice talent really worked with energizing the limited animation.

                              Unfortunately, anime dub companies keep a limited actor roster and/or outsource to Canada for the most part. This past week, I got some mp3s of various WB toon themes in Japanese and they sounded great. But even though you get someone like Ikue Ootani (Pikachu, Chopper) covering Dot Warner in Japan, the reverse won't happen with a VA union member doing an anime dub.