Re: Yuri goggles and this season's anime

  • mellowrg
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004

      > Well, we're a month into the new season, and I have to say that I've
      > got my yuri goggles turned *way* up, but am still coming up shotrt.
      >
      > Sure, Kannazuki no Miko is like Yamibou meets Marimite, but other than
      > that, I'm pretty stuck for fun couples to watch. I actually found
      > myself looking askance at Suszuka and Arisa from Mahou Shoujo Ririkaru
      > Nanoha and thinking that, when the camera's off them, they're really
      > holding hands and proclaiming their like for one another. LOL
      >
      > Help me out here! Who are you seeing in your yuri goggles?

      Not many slashable pairs this season, but since we're in super squint
      mode the list can be extended a bit. XD

      Shizuru from Mai-Hime arouses suspicion from me. Even more since I
      read about her likes at the official site.
      http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/my-hime/web/character/shizuru.html

      Speaking of which, I think you're Mai-Hime review on Okazu was too
      premature. This is going to be a 24 episode series. A Sunrise anime at
      that. Many things will happen.

      Also, it's not based on a game, but yes, it is intended to push sales
      of its merchandise. Of course, this is a given since it's a Sunrise anime.

      In the Rozen Maiden field there's Suigintou. She just strikes me as
      one. Especially when she obsesses over Shinku. A major S type lesbian,
      but a lesbian none the less. I'm looking forward to see her
      interaction with her owner.

      On the more extreme field there's Discode. 18+ anime. Main character
      is a Futanari/d-girl. You have been warned.
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
        >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>

        >Not many slashable pairs this season, but since we're in super squint
        >mode the list can be extended a bit. XD
        >
        >Shizuru from Mai-Hime arouses suspicion from me. Even more since I
        >read about her likes at the official site.
        >http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/my-hime/web/character/shizuru.html

        Yeah, I'm in agreement with you on her. She pinged my gaydar right from the
        beginning. I honestly think it's the name, because I can think of at least
        one other Shizuru who I liked for "The List" too.

        The way she was checking out Natsuki definitely made my thumbs prick too.
        :-) Sure, she was just "teasing" but she was defintely eyeing her up at the
        same time.

        >Speaking of which, I think you're Mai-Hime review on Okazu was too
        >premature. This is going to be a 24 episode series. A Sunrise anime at
        > that. Many things will happen.

        I doubt much of excitement will happen in 24 episodes. Call me cynical. :-)
        But I know that it was premature - I'm doing what I always do, calling it as
        I sees it. When a series changes, I recant, gladly. :-)

        >Also, it's not based on a game, but yes, it is intended to push sales
        >of its merchandise. Of course, this is a given since it's a Sunrise anime.

        No...I'm pretty sure it is based on a game, or there is a game planned for
        it. Because I was reading all about the game elsewhere, on a Japanese site.

        >In the Rozen Maiden field there's Suigintou. She just strikes me as
        >one. Especially when she obsesses over Shinku. A major S type lesbian,
        >but a lesbian none the less. I'm looking forward to see her
        >interaction with her owner.

        S-type? Sad? Sorry-ass? LOL What exactly is an S-type?

      • Adam Jones
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
          On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:33:27 -0500, "Erica Friedman"
          <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
          >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

          > >>Sure, Kannazuki no Miko is like Yamibou meets Marimite, but other
          > >than that, I'm pretty stuck for fun couples to watch.
          > >While I'm enjoying this series, I keep waiting for the other shoe to
          > >drop, so I'm not as into it as I was PGSM or Marimite.
          > Well, that's because it's an utter piece of crap. LOL

          Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...

          > Chikane, however, will be going on "The List" as soon as i get a
          > chance to do the next update.

          No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will turn out
          to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
          embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before finally
          being defeated by Boring Robot Guy. At least episode 4 gives us some
          handy dark-and-painful-past to be overcome in the course of gratuitous
          slashing, I suppose.

          (I'm only watching in the hope that my Mad Prophetic Skillz have
          declined somewhat since Madlax.)
          .oO("I ahve a ebtv and really am offended" )
        • mellowrg
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

            > >In the Rozen Maiden field there's Suigintou. She just strikes me as
            > >one. Especially when she obsesses over Shinku. A major S type lesbian,
            > >but a lesbian none the less. I'm looking forward to see her
            > >interaction with her owner.
            >
            > S-type? Sad? Sorry-ass? LOL What exactly is an S-type?

            S as in S and M. She's a sadist. Shimako from Marimite would be an M.
          • mellowrg
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@y...> wrote:

              > No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will turn out
              > to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
              > embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before finally
              > being defeated by Boring Robot Guy. At least episode 4 gives us some
              > handy dark-and-painful-past to be overcome in the course of gratuitous
              > slashing, I suppose.

              Ehh..? I guess we graduated from different schools of cliche. The way
              I see it, Himeko will save Chikane from the dark side with the power
              of Luv~~ and they'll both summon and pilot the golden mech of doom. It
              just happens that everything will happen in a very cliche manner. XD
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                On Nov 1, 2004, at 4:49 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@y...> wrote:
                >
                >> No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will turn
                >> out
                >> to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
                >> embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before
                >> finally
                >> being defeated by Boring Robot Guy. At least episode 4 gives us some
                >> handy dark-and-painful-past to be overcome in the course of gratuitous
                >> slashing, I suppose.
                >>

                > Ehh..? I guess we graduated from different schools of cliche. The way
                > I see it, Himeko will save Chikane from the dark side with the power
                > of Luv~~ and they'll both summon and pilot the golden mech of doom. It
                > just happens that everything will happen in a very cliche manner. XD

                Hmm, based on this guy's other works I'm thinking one of two scenarios,
                bad guys lose at the end, and despite all the character interactions,
                Himeko's relationship with Souma and Chikane remains exactly the way it
                was at the beginning of the series or she picks one, and the other dies
                in a heroically sacrificial way to prove the depth of their feelings,
                and at the last moment we get a reset so it's as if the entire series
                never really happened. See Steel Angel Kurumi and UFO Princess
                Valkyrie.

                -==-
                Serge
                http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:

                  > S as in S and M. She's a sadist. Shimako from Marimite would be an
                  M.

                  While I can certainly agree that Shinku is a sadist, I can hardly see
                  Shimako as a masochist. -_- Where do you see her behavior being
                  masochistic?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:

                    > > No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will
                    turn out
                    > > to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
                    > > embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before
                    finally
                    > > being defeated by Boring Robot Guy.
                    >
                    > Ehh..? I guess we graduated from different schools of cliche. The
                    way
                    > I see it, Himeko will save Chikane from the dark side with the power
                    > of Luv~~ and they'll both summon and pilot the golden mech of doom.
                    It
                    > just happens that everything will happen in a very cliche manner. XD

                    I vote for mellowrg's cliche'd ending! :)

                    Ah, the power of lurv. It's always so blonde. LOL

                  • mellowrg
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004

                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > S as in S and M. She's a sadist. Shimako from Marimite would be an
                      > M.
                      >
                      > While I can certainly agree that Shinku is a sadist, I can hardly see
                      > Shimako as a masochist. -_- Where do you see her behavior being
                      > masochistic?

                      She's likes to be hard on herself. She's strikes me as the type who
                      would angst about Sei every night and secretly enjoy it.
                    • Jen
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:
                        >
                        >...I can hardly see Shimako as a masochist. -_- Where do you see
                        her behavior being masochistic?

                        I think it was the candle wax that did it. I *swear*, these DVD
                        specials are getting weirder and weirder. I just hope someone
                        fansubs it soon. RAW's are nice, but...

                        ...oh wait. Maybe you haven't seen that one yet. Not everyone's
                        found the new site since anime.mirkX relocated. Never mind.
                        (Spoilers bad... spoilers bad...)

                        ^_^

                        Kisses XXOOXX
                        Jen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                          >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                          >Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...

                          Never feel bad about watching Go Nagai. he is our god. :-)

                          Wasn't the end great? I just love Na-chan.

                        • Adam Jones
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                            On 02-Nov-2004 10:45 -0500, Erica Friedman wrote:
                            >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                            > >Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...
                            > Never feel bad about watching Go Nagai. he is our god. :-)

                            I can't help it - I have a natural aversion to gratuitous fanservice.
                            (It tends to make me feel like even more of a bottom-feeder than I
                            clearly already am.)

                            > Wasn't the end great? I just love Na-chan.

                            Being rather comprehensionally-challenged when it comes to the
                            Japanese language, I'm still waiting on the fansub...
                            .oO("Archimedes Plutonium is a crank and I'm not..." )
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                              >From: "Adam Jones" <adam@...>

                              > > >Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...
                              > > Never feel bad about watching Go Nagai. he is our god. :-)
                              >
                              >I can't help it - I have a natural aversion to gratuitous fanservice.
                              >(It tends to make me feel like even more of a bottom-feeder than I
                              >clearly already am.)

                              Oh, get over it. LOL Embrace your bottom-feeding tendencies openly.

                              > > Wasn't the end great? I just love Na-chan.
                              >
                              >Being rather comprehensionally-challenged when it comes to the
                              >Japanese language, I'm still waiting on the fansub...

                              Short version: Honey defeats Jill, goes off with Na-chan, who becomes
                              exceptionally butchy. The end. :-) HTH