Re: [Yuricon] Yuri goggles and this season's anime

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
      On Nov 1, 2004, at 9:33 AM, Erica Friedman wrote:

      >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
      >
      >> Yeah, I think I'm watching more new series, than I have in the past,
      >> but
      >> it's still slim pickings. Though, that seems to be a minority opinion
      >> in
      >> some other places. I wonder if it's still too early in the season,
      >> maybe
      >> some plot complications or character introductions change the
      >> landscape a
      >> bit in a month or two?
      >
      > I am coming to believe that yes, it is too early. OTOH, I'm also
      > thinking
      > we're going to be talking about "slashable" characters more than actual
      > pairings.

      Probably.

      > Last night i had the pleasure of watching Re Cutie Honey 3 and na-chan
      > and
      > Honey are now *definitely* seriously slashable. Thumbs up for this OVA,
      > especially the butched-up Natsuko in the very end.

      I saw screencaps for this and it looks like another winner. Go Gainax.
      ;)

      > My ff writer brain has already come up with the post-oVA scene in
      > which they
      > become lovers, but i doubt I'll write it. Unless work gets very
      > boring. LOL
      >

      >>> Sure, Kannazuki no Miko is like Yamibou meets Marimite, but other
      >>> than
      >>> that, I'm pretty stuck for fun couples to watch.
      >>
      >> While I'm enjoying this series, I keep waiting for the other shoe to
      >> drop,
      >> so I'm not as into it as I was PGSM or Marimite.
      >
      > Well, that's because it's an utter piece of crap. LOL

      Oh yeah, there's that. ;)

      > Chikane, however, will
      > be going on "The List" as soon as i get a chance to do the next
      > update. I
      > find, looking back at all my files, that I have not actually updated
      > it in
      > months and months. It's due for a good overhaul.
      >
      > (Speaking of
      >> Marimite, the Nov issue of Newtype-USA has a column from the editor of
      >> Newtype - Japan that suggests Marimite as a prototype for a new genre
      >> that
      >> replaces the harem anime as what the studios think boys like.)
      >
      > Yes, i heard about that and I reject it utterly. Guys have always made
      > up a
      > significant portion of shoujo fandom. The article appears to have been
      > written by a typical nerdster who could not *imagine* that girls have a
      > place in anime and manga consumption, and so, it *must* be about the
      > guys.

      Well, it is Newtype, after all. When their writers openly lament about
      the lack of meganekko in a particular season and a lot of their write
      ups are basically "Look, Hot Girls! Watch this!" I don't think we can
      put a lot of stock in their scholarly credibility. Newtype is like the
      Gene Shalit of the anime world, and unlike Playboy, I read it for the
      pretty pictures. I really only brought it up, because it's exposure
      for Marimite even if the article is silly and it's premise flawed.

      > bet the author never once picked up one of the original novels.

      I didn't get that sense either, he was speaking about Marimite as if
      there wasn't 17+ novels in publication. Which is entirely possible,
      considering he's the Editor of an animation magazine and lots of stuff
      probably flies under his radar, if it's not being animated, though it
      still seemed weird to me.

      > There is a
      > legitimate argument that ALL anime is targeted towards guys, since by
      > their
      > nature, almost all of the directors are men, and therefore take even
      > the
      > most shoujo of series and alter it. But this particular article just
      > seems
      > silly to me. Based on the lame-ass-ness and shounen orientation of
      > every
      > single anime out this season, and thus, the propnderance of crappy
      > fanservice, trie plots and terrible characterization, it doesn't seem
      > as if
      > Marimite has even made a scratch on the surface likes and dislikes of
      > the
      > typical male anime fan. IMHO, of course.

      Well, even if the premise of the article is true, any change that might
      come from that would probably take a while to see. Tenchi came out in
      the early 90s but harem shows didn't start becoming popular until the
      late 90s, I think, so if Marimite is the progenitor of a new genre, we
      won't start seeing clones and knockoffs for a good number of years. And
      even then, I don't think it will replace harem shows, because it's such
      a fundamental adolescent fantasy that as long as there are boys, it
      will never go away.

      >> Hmm, I've only seen the one episode subbed. I don't have the need for
      >> any
      >> of the new series enough to download raws at this point, so you're
      >> ahead of
      >> me on this one.
      >
      > I'm basically ONLY watching raws right now, except for a very few
      > series.
      > Nothing inspires me enough to wait for the sub.

      Funny we take the opposite approach on this. Watching a raw is work for
      me, so I'm not inspired to work my way through any raws, and rather
      just be lazy and wait for the sub.

      >> Well, after 4 episodes of Mai-Hime, I'm still standing by my
      >> prediction
      >> that we'll get side characters as a couple.
      >
      > I'm rather fond of Yukino (haruka's hench-chick) and Shizuru, at the
      > moment.
      > I'd love to see a side couple here. I like this anime, but then, I
      > liked
      > Digimon and it's not that dissimilar. For a slightly older audience, I
      > suppose.

      It's silly but I don't think she's really a "Haruka", it's a very hard
      name to live up to, IMHO. ;)

      > I also like Natsyuki, despite the fact that she's going to be the
      > series'
      > punching bag.

      I liked her a lot more, when she shot at Nagi. That was a totally
      endearing moment. ;)

      > I mean with a
      >> cast that large, you have to imagine that percentages come into play
      >> here.
      >> ;) I suppose if you were desperate/doubled up on yuri goggles you
      >> could see
      >> something there between Mikoto and Mai, but it seems nothing more than
      >> fanservice to me.
      >
      > Agreed.
      >

      > Other than that I don't know,
      >> you're probably watching most of what I'm watching, so that
      >> eliminates most
      >> of my list. The only thing that I can think of that rates a mention is
      >> Miami Guns, but it's a parody, so I'm not entirely sure whether I can
      >> take
      >> anything in it as legitimate.
      >
      > Some one did send some names for "The List" but I have not seen any,
      > nor
      > have any second request for confirmation - certainly all the
      > Cutey/Cutie
      > Honey eps are parody and so is Excel, but the names went on "The List'
      > anyway. Send me your suggestions for Miami Guns and we'll add 'em. :-)

      OK. I guess it's not like I'm suggesting something completely
      implausible.

      > While I'm on the no yuri, but...Phantom Memory Kurau has remained an
      > EXCELLENT series, and damn i wish Ayaka would be slammed by some Rynax
      > energy and take that stick out of her ass, so she and Kurau could get
      > all
      > snuggly. LOL

      I think if that happens we might have to come up with a law for that.
      The Yuri Cop/Outlaw paradigm or something. ;)

      > On the "ought-be" category, I think Nori, Jun's sister in "rozen
      > maiden"
      > ought, really, to be a lesbian. She's SO cute. :-)

      Hmm, I don't know, I'm getting brother complex from her, but that might
      just be me, though I liked the way she was nonplussed when meeting
      Shinku. And yes, you were right, I do like this series. Gothic Lolita
      domineering dolls, so far so good. ;) Ali Project does both the OP and
      End so it's an extra bonus. ;)

      -==-
      Serge
      http://ximatl.blogspot.com
    • mellowrg
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004

        > Well, we're a month into the new season, and I have to say that I've
        > got my yuri goggles turned *way* up, but am still coming up shotrt.
        >
        > Sure, Kannazuki no Miko is like Yamibou meets Marimite, but other than
        > that, I'm pretty stuck for fun couples to watch. I actually found
        > myself looking askance at Suszuka and Arisa from Mahou Shoujo Ririkaru
        > Nanoha and thinking that, when the camera's off them, they're really
        > holding hands and proclaiming their like for one another. LOL
        >
        > Help me out here! Who are you seeing in your yuri goggles?

        Not many slashable pairs this season, but since we're in super squint
        mode the list can be extended a bit. XD

        Shizuru from Mai-Hime arouses suspicion from me. Even more since I
        read about her likes at the official site.
        http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/my-hime/web/character/shizuru.html

        Speaking of which, I think you're Mai-Hime review on Okazu was too
        premature. This is going to be a 24 episode series. A Sunrise anime at
        that. Many things will happen.

        Also, it's not based on a game, but yes, it is intended to push sales
        of its merchandise. Of course, this is a given since it's a Sunrise anime.

        In the Rozen Maiden field there's Suigintou. She just strikes me as
        one. Especially when she obsesses over Shinku. A major S type lesbian,
        but a lesbian none the less. I'm looking forward to see her
        interaction with her owner.

        On the more extreme field there's Discode. 18+ anime. Main character
        is a Futanari/d-girl. You have been warned.
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
          >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>

          >Not many slashable pairs this season, but since we're in super squint
          >mode the list can be extended a bit. XD
          >
          >Shizuru from Mai-Hime arouses suspicion from me. Even more since I
          >read about her likes at the official site.
          >http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/my-hime/web/character/shizuru.html

          Yeah, I'm in agreement with you on her. She pinged my gaydar right from the
          beginning. I honestly think it's the name, because I can think of at least
          one other Shizuru who I liked for "The List" too.

          The way she was checking out Natsuki definitely made my thumbs prick too.
          :-) Sure, she was just "teasing" but she was defintely eyeing her up at the
          same time.

          >Speaking of which, I think you're Mai-Hime review on Okazu was too
          >premature. This is going to be a 24 episode series. A Sunrise anime at
          > that. Many things will happen.

          I doubt much of excitement will happen in 24 episodes. Call me cynical. :-)
          But I know that it was premature - I'm doing what I always do, calling it as
          I sees it. When a series changes, I recant, gladly. :-)

          >Also, it's not based on a game, but yes, it is intended to push sales
          >of its merchandise. Of course, this is a given since it's a Sunrise anime.

          No...I'm pretty sure it is based on a game, or there is a game planned for
          it. Because I was reading all about the game elsewhere, on a Japanese site.

          >In the Rozen Maiden field there's Suigintou. She just strikes me as
          >one. Especially when she obsesses over Shinku. A major S type lesbian,
          >but a lesbian none the less. I'm looking forward to see her
          >interaction with her owner.

          S-type? Sad? Sorry-ass? LOL What exactly is an S-type?

        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
            On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:33:27 -0500, "Erica Friedman"
            <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
            >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

            > >>Sure, Kannazuki no Miko is like Yamibou meets Marimite, but other
            > >than that, I'm pretty stuck for fun couples to watch.
            > >While I'm enjoying this series, I keep waiting for the other shoe to
            > >drop, so I'm not as into it as I was PGSM or Marimite.
            > Well, that's because it's an utter piece of crap. LOL

            Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...

            > Chikane, however, will be going on "The List" as soon as i get a
            > chance to do the next update.

            No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will turn out
            to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
            embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before finally
            being defeated by Boring Robot Guy. At least episode 4 gives us some
            handy dark-and-painful-past to be overcome in the course of gratuitous
            slashing, I suppose.

            (I'm only watching in the hope that my Mad Prophetic Skillz have
            declined somewhat since Madlax.)
            .oO("I ahve a ebtv and really am offended" )
          • mellowrg
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:

              > >In the Rozen Maiden field there's Suigintou. She just strikes me as
              > >one. Especially when she obsesses over Shinku. A major S type lesbian,
              > >but a lesbian none the less. I'm looking forward to see her
              > >interaction with her owner.
              >
              > S-type? Sad? Sorry-ass? LOL What exactly is an S-type?

              S as in S and M. She's a sadist. Shimako from Marimite would be an M.
            • mellowrg
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@y...> wrote:

                > No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will turn out
                > to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
                > embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before finally
                > being defeated by Boring Robot Guy. At least episode 4 gives us some
                > handy dark-and-painful-past to be overcome in the course of gratuitous
                > slashing, I suppose.

                Ehh..? I guess we graduated from different schools of cliche. The way
                I see it, Himeko will save Chikane from the dark side with the power
                of Luv~~ and they'll both summon and pilot the golden mech of doom. It
                just happens that everything will happen in a very cliche manner. XD
              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                  On Nov 1, 2004, at 4:49 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will turn
                  >> out
                  >> to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
                  >> embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before
                  >> finally
                  >> being defeated by Boring Robot Guy. At least episode 4 gives us some
                  >> handy dark-and-painful-past to be overcome in the course of gratuitous
                  >> slashing, I suppose.
                  >>

                  > Ehh..? I guess we graduated from different schools of cliche. The way
                  > I see it, Himeko will save Chikane from the dark side with the power
                  > of Luv~~ and they'll both summon and pilot the golden mech of doom. It
                  > just happens that everything will happen in a very cliche manner. XD

                  Hmm, based on this guy's other works I'm thinking one of two scenarios,
                  bad guys lose at the end, and despite all the character interactions,
                  Himeko's relationship with Souma and Chikane remains exactly the way it
                  was at the beginning of the series or she picks one, and the other dies
                  in a heroically sacrificial way to prove the depth of their feelings,
                  and at the last moment we get a reset so it's as if the entire series
                  never really happened. See Steel Angel Kurumi and UFO Princess
                  Valkyrie.

                  -==-
                  Serge
                  http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:

                    > S as in S and M. She's a sadist. Shimako from Marimite would be an
                    M.

                    While I can certainly agree that Shinku is a sadist, I can hardly see
                    Shimako as a masochist. -_- Where do you see her behavior being
                    masochistic?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:

                      > > No kidding... Of course, I'm in little doubt that Himeko will
                      turn out
                      > > to be depressingly straight and that Chikane will end up doing the
                      > > embittered if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-can thing later on, before
                      finally
                      > > being defeated by Boring Robot Guy.
                      >
                      > Ehh..? I guess we graduated from different schools of cliche. The
                      way
                      > I see it, Himeko will save Chikane from the dark side with the power
                      > of Luv~~ and they'll both summon and pilot the golden mech of doom.
                      It
                      > just happens that everything will happen in a very cliche manner. XD

                      I vote for mellowrg's cliche'd ending! :)

                      Ah, the power of lurv. It's always so blonde. LOL

                    • mellowrg
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004

                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > S as in S and M. She's a sadist. Shimako from Marimite would be an
                        > M.
                        >
                        > While I can certainly agree that Shinku is a sadist, I can hardly see
                        > Shimako as a masochist. -_- Where do you see her behavior being
                        > masochistic?

                        She's likes to be hard on herself. She's strikes me as the type who
                        would angst about Sei every night and secretly enjoy it.
                      • Jen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 1, 2004
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@h...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mellowrg" <mellowrg@y...> wrote:
                          >
                          >...I can hardly see Shimako as a masochist. -_- Where do you see
                          her behavior being masochistic?

                          I think it was the candle wax that did it. I *swear*, these DVD
                          specials are getting weirder and weirder. I just hope someone
                          fansubs it soon. RAW's are nice, but...

                          ...oh wait. Maybe you haven't seen that one yet. Not everyone's
                          found the new site since anime.mirkX relocated. Never mind.
                          (Spoilers bad... spoilers bad...)

                          ^_^

                          Kisses XXOOXX
                          Jen
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                            >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                            >Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...

                            Never feel bad about watching Go Nagai. he is our god. :-)

                            Wasn't the end great? I just love Na-chan.

                          • Adam Jones
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                              On 02-Nov-2004 10:45 -0500, Erica Friedman wrote:
                              >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                              > >Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...
                              > Never feel bad about watching Go Nagai. he is our god. :-)

                              I can't help it - I have a natural aversion to gratuitous fanservice.
                              (It tends to make me feel like even more of a bottom-feeder than I
                              clearly already am.)

                              > Wasn't the end great? I just love Na-chan.

                              Being rather comprehensionally-challenged when it comes to the
                              Japanese language, I'm still waiting on the fansub...
                              .oO("Archimedes Plutonium is a crank and I'm not..." )
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2004
                                >From: "Adam Jones" <adam@...>

                                > > >Amen. I almost feel less guilty about watching Re: Cutie Honey...
                                > > Never feel bad about watching Go Nagai. he is our god. :-)
                                >
                                >I can't help it - I have a natural aversion to gratuitous fanservice.
                                >(It tends to make me feel like even more of a bottom-feeder than I
                                >clearly already am.)

                                Oh, get over it. LOL Embrace your bottom-feeding tendencies openly.

                                > > Wasn't the end great? I just love Na-chan.
                                >
                                >Being rather comprehensionally-challenged when it comes to the
                                >Japanese language, I'm still waiting on the fansub...

                                Short version: Honey defeats Jill, goes off with Na-chan, who becomes
                                exceptionally butchy. The end. :-) HTH