Maria-sama ga Miteru Kibara Kakumei manga

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2004
      This weekend I sat myself down and really read the second volume of the
      Marimite manga. (Previously I had only had a chance to scan it.)

      It was almost identical to the anime. I think there were, perhaps, two
      scenes cut out, total. Of them, one was downright silly.

      The first scene cut was when Yumi spies what she thinks is Eriko's ghost in
      the hospital. Yumi is there to visit Yoshino right before her surgery, and
      Yoshino does NOT find it amusing to have Yumi discussing her grnade souer's
      possible demise and undead wandering on this day. It was quite amusing.

      The second scene is Rei's kendo competition (something I felt was seriously
      lacking in the anime...). During this chunk, Rei remembers the day she
      learned of Yoshino's illness. Yoshino had come to the dojo to watch Rei,
      admiring how cool Rei was when she weilded her shinai. Little Yoshino took
      the shinai, waved it around a bit, then collapsed.

      Rei continues to think how, from that moment, she'd been there for Yoshino,
      taking care of her, trying to be strong for her. At which point Rei loses a
      match. That causes rei to realize how completely unfocused she'd become,
      always waching Yoshino and never paying attention to herself.

      In her mind, as Rei steps forward to face the captain of a rival team - a
      third-year and sandan (third degree black belt) - Rei realizes that the
      person she needs to be strong for has got to be herself.

      While all of this was implied in the anime, it was nice to see it
      actualized.

      Other than that, the only addition to the manga was a series of cosplay
      drawings of all the Yamayurikai, whioch were hysterical and cool - and,
      printed on the the little band around the cover in big red letters is a
      fantastic quote:

      "Rei's manga look is really cool." - Yoshino.

      That made the whole thing worthwhile for me. :-)