Re: [Yuricon] Re: genki ka?

  • Kensuke
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
      From: "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@...>
      To: <Yuricon@yahoogroups.com>

      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kensuke" <bjorn_hannenson@y...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Hi, everyone. I'm a brazillian yuri fan and an editor to a
      > brazillian anime/manga news fansite.
      >
      > Welcome to the Yuricon ML!
      >
      > If you would like your magainze to be added to the links on the
      > Yuricon weebsite, please email me with the link at
      > anilesbocon01@... - I love to know about other yuri websites,
      > especially non-English language ones!

      Well, it's not yuri. It's a general news site about anime/manga (now japanes
      viedo games too ^^), and sometimes other things japanese, like culture,
      music, etc. But I love to post yuri news when i find them ^^.

      > > I already knew ofyuricon, but only when i saw the news of Yuri
      > Revolution at ANN I gave a good look at the site and discovered this
      > mailing list. The interesting thing is that me and one fellow yuri
      > lover friend at a manga forum always used the term yuri revolution
      > every time we said something about yuri ^^.
      >
      > How interesting. Why does he say that? :-)

      We used that term to mean something like bringing people of that forum to
      like yuri. Actually, that's not exactly the whole story. Well, we had this
      one time when we kinda made a funny topic where we started talking about
      hentai. Then the hentai fans (me included ^^) created a tokusatsu-like group
      (don't nkow if people here know tokusatsu.... it's japanese super heroes
      series. Power Rangers are a veeery inferior verson of these) called Hentai
      Rangers. And then the yuri fans (all male, unfortunately) created the Yuri
      Rangers, which created the Yuri Revolution, opposed to the girls who tried
      to take people to what we called "the yaoi side of the Force". We actually
      don't hate each others, it was just or the fun of it ^^.

      > > It would be great to know some other yuri fans and the latest news
      > on the yuri world. Oh, I'm a male, maybe it's important to state that
      > (then again, maybe not ^^).
      >
      > LOL It's not important. :-) All yuri fans are welcome here.

      Thanks ^^ (I'm addicted to those "^^" thingies). I think Chalcahuite resumed
      well what i feel like at a yuri list, but I'll try my besto not to be lurker
      (no promises though, I participate in, like, many mailing lists, so I often
      lack the disposition to post on all of them ^^). But i always read.

      Kensuke,
      Editor of Japan Sekai News (S-News) - www.s-news.org (sorry people,
      portuguese only)
    • yu matsuura
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2004

        >Hi, everyone. I'm a brazillian yuri fan ...............................
        >It would be great to know some other yuri fans and the latest news on
        the yuri world. Oh, I'm a male, maybe it's important to state that (then
        again, maybe not ^^).

        >Regards,
        >
        >Kensuke
        >Editor of Japan Sekai News (S-News) - www.s-news.org (sorry people,
        portuguese only ^^)

        Hi,

        Can you enlighten me on the anime cons in Brazil? I'm hoping to attend one
        of the cons in Sao Palo (spelling?). I have a nagging question...why did
        all the anime cons decided to have their cons on the July 4th weekend in Sao
        Palo? (this situation may had been corrected now)

        Some time ago, I was looking at anime cons and found it strange that Sao
        Palo had two anime cons running against one another on the same weekend.

      • Kensuke
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2004
          Well, here is a "little" history on brazillian big cons on the las 2
          years.....

          For some years, the biggest con i Brazil was AnimeCon (AC). But one of the
          organizers, mr. Peixoto, wasn't exactly the most well-wanted person in the
          world. And with good cause. There is no lack of stories in which he did some
          not-so-honest things. A friend of mine, for exmaple, took some pictures of
          one AC, then this mr. Peixoto asked to see those photos, and copied them and
          published them on an anime magazine of his, without even asking this friend
          of mine, even less giving him credit or some kind of payment for the photos.

          Then a group o fpeople, tired of this situation, and with the backup of
          every major company dealing with anime/manga in Brazil, decided to form an
          event comapny called Yamato. And to take the AC directly, they made an event
          called Anime Friends (AF) on the same day of AC. That was last year. The
          greatest advantage of AF was that, for the first time, they brought 2
          singers and an actor from Japan in Brazil (except for some very old events
          where they brought Osamu Tezuka). And they were maybe the singers with the
          most known anime/tokusatsu songs in Brazil: Hironobu Kageyama and Akira
          Kushida. The actor was Hiroshi Watari, who did some tokusatsu, like Sharivan
          and Spielvan (if I'm not mistaken). Result: AF became, on its 1st year, the
          biggest con in Brazil.

          But it seem to be their only goal. Ever since, events from Yamato (there are
          like 3-4 per year, AF being the main one) have been on a very descending
          route on what refers to quality. They "got friends" with mr Peixoto (cause
          he got much more friendly after being outrunned), and now AC and AF are on
          different dates, and even do advertising for each other. This year's AF
          brought some other singers, from JAM Project (namely: Hironobu Kageyama,
          Masami Okui, Eizo Sakamoto and Masaaki Endo). But the place where the event
          was held couldn't be worse, it was more like a big warehouse, but not nearly
          big enough to accomodate all the people, stands and have space for the show.
          Result: kilometric lines to get in the event (many, and i mean many, people
          couldn't get in, and some of them travelled hundreds, even thousands of
          kilometers to come), the inside of the place was hotter than hell (with many
          people passing away during the last show, which was the biggest one), and,
          of course, a not very friendly opinion of the fans about the event. Yamato,
          on her site, apologised and promised to get a much better place for next
          year, but even so, the bad image continues. Now niether of the big events
          get a good image.

          But besides the two big july events, there is also Expo Anime Brasil, which
          happens on december, and is pretty big, comparing to the average. Other
          events on São Paulo this year were (in cronological order):

          already happened:
          Anime Dreams - something like a summer AF, but smaller (remember here in
          south hemisphere summer is at the and-star of the year and winter on the
          middle)
          there was an event on april-may (don't remember), which name I can't
          remember alsio, but it was from the same organizers of Expo Anime Brazil
          AnimeCon - this year's was one of the most boring ones I've been
          Anime Friends - see above ¬¬
          Anime Fantasy - also from Yamato, each year it will have an anime series
          licenced in Brazil as a theme (this year one was the 1st, theme was Saint
          Seiya)

          will happen:
          Ressaca Friends (something like Anime Friends Hangout) - started last year,
          with AF. This was supposed to be a meeting of all the staff that worked on
          AF, but word got loose and they made it an event. This year's one (will
          happen in 2 weeks) will also have international atractions, two tokusatsu
          actors: Hiroshi Watari (same one as 1st AF) and Tsutsui Takumi (who did
          Jiraiya, one of the most famous tokusatsu in Brazil)
          Expo Anime Brazil - in december, pretty decent event. Not many great things,
          but at least the organizer are somewhat worried about the quality of the
          event.

          I know this was a lot more than you have asked, but it's a complicated
          situation. I will probably continue to go to AFs for the international
          guests, and mainly to meet net friends who live far away. But cons here are
          getting more and more boring......