Re: [Yuricon] Kannatzuki no Miko was New Season overview

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
      On Oct 3, 2004, at 9:15 PM, atheniag wrote:

      > Kannzuki no Miko - This one has got to be considered a winner, as long
      > as you aren't looking for quality.

      I agree, though it's not quite craptacular, it's clearly best of the
      bunch so far.

      > It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
      > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
      > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too little
      > fanservice).

      Yes, because, clearly, we didn't know we missed those things. ;)

      > Here's the really good part: Wile Souma fights off the possession, and
      > then uses his mecha against the evil chick, Chikane takes a moment to
      > have a long....long...long, lingering look at Himeko's chest, get a
      > small grope in and THEN do CPR.

      Absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what if her heart is on the
      other side, it's the thought that counts.

      > As Himeko comes to, Chikane gets in
      > some more chest-watching, as Souma continues his battle, Chikane gets
      > a kiss. Souma screams that he's going to protect Himeko, but I
      > countered that he'd already lost her.

      Poor guy, the series just started and he's, literally, the odd man out.
      Well, at least he'll get to lift things, squish bugs, and beat back
      giant mech for them. ;)

      > Kun said that it was a good
      > thing that the girls weren't supposed to be the ones fighting the evil
      > mecha, or the world would have gone down while Chikane was perving.

      I would totally understand. Somethings are just more important. ;)

      > This one looks great - thumbs up from me.

      Agreed. The lily in the last shot of the ED, makes me think that this
      isn't just a tease. Though I hope they don't ruin it by taking it ol'
      skool, or something.

      -==-
      Serge
      "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
        >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

        > > It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
        > > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
        > > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too little
        > > fanservice).
        >
        >Yes, because, clearly, we didn't know we missed those things. ;)

        Speak for yourself. I was watcing the finale of ~Haru the other day and
        thinking, "Wow, this would be SO much better if a mecha broke through the
        floor and one of them became possessed of magic powers..." LOL

        > > Here's the really good part: Wile Souma fights off the possession, and
        > > then uses his mecha against the evil chick, Chikane takes a moment to
        > > have a long....long...long, lingering look at Himeko's chest, get a
        > > small grope in and THEN do CPR.
        >
        >Absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what if her heart is on the
        >other side, it's the thought that counts.

        Chikane was just practicing. :-)

        > > Kun said that it was a good
        > > thing that the girls weren't supposed to be the ones fighting the evil
        > > mecha, or the world would have gone down while Chikane was perving.
        >
        >I would totally understand. Somethings are just more important. ;)

        Damn straight. I approved of the fact that Chikane waited until after Himeko
        was conscious again. That's a step in the right direction...

        >Agreed. The lily in the last shot of the ED, makes me think that this
        >isn't just a tease. Though I hope they don't ruin it by taking it ol'
        >skool, or something.

        Yup. I'll pretty much be happy if Chikane gets the kisses and gropes and
        Souma gets the hard work.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004

          > > Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
          > > just fun, goofy, been there, done that.
          >
          > That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .

          And we were right, let's face it. The end was unusual for Bee Train,
          but the sory was pretty par.

          > > Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected.

          > I thought this was OK, but I'll have to watch a few more episodes to
          > know for sure. This one looks like a full 26 episode series, based
          on
          > the sheer number of characters that populate the credits. And yes,
          the
          > end credits hint that there may actually be something viable among
          the
          > secondary characters, as well. The last shot, from what I
          understand,
          > is just a tease, nothing will happen there.

          I don't think it'll be ayuri thing, but Mai Hime will probabaly
          qualify for chick with weapons/powers and unless it begins to get very
          odious, I'll probably watch it for a while at least.

          > Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
          > waning . . .

          Interesting you should bring that up...it looks like the mangaka (or
          perhaps character designer...I wasn't paying very close attention) for
          Kannazuki no Miko is the same as the one for Walkure. I was scared
          when I realized that.

          But, as KnM is clearly not loli...yet...I have hope that I won't have
          to kill myself. Walkure is the only series that stars Oagata Megumi I
          have not been able to watch at all. I tried, but I simply couldn't. It
          was simply too awful. And even though she plays the lead, she has
          about 7 lines every episode.

          > > Utakata - well, more magical girl (again with 2 completely alive,
          > > non-android or alien parents)

          See...I did say it was a magical girl anime...

          > Well, this now completely blows the magical girl/porn star
          comparison I
          > had going. Donna and I were watching the VH1 special on Jenna
          Jameson
          > and we wondered why is it that porn stars never come from normal,
          > functional families. And I remarked they were like magical girls.
          But,
          > I guess that comparison doesn't work anymore. Oh well.

          How very *different* and "out of the box" these series all are...

          > > I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
          > > stopped.
          >
          > I can't believe you even downloaded it.

          A momentary lapse of sanity. I actually didn't hate Kanon, and for a
          sec, i thought, maybe, perhaps, there would be something redeeming in
          To Heart. Then I looked at the official page and deleted it.

          > I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
          > Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
          > about that one.

          I haven't seen anything on that. I'm okay with BT doing pretty boys...
          for various reasons. I'll keep an eye out for it.

          Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
          > it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance.

          Like Love/Love and Hit wo Nerae and the other one? Hmmm...

          > I'll
          > probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's
          got
          > vampires.

          I don't see out vampire stories, but have nothing against them,
          either. I'll wait for your review, then see if it's worth my time. :-)

        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
            On Oct 5, 2004, at 9:20 AM, atheniag wrote:

            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
            >
            >>> Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
            >>> just fun, goofy, been there, done that.
            >>
            >> That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .
            >
            > And we were right, let's face it. The end was unusual for Bee Train,
            > but the sory was pretty par.

            Hmm, you're right. I forgot that we had it nearly all figured out early
            on, but it took us a while on ROD TV. . . .

            > I don't think it'll be ayuri thing, but Mai Hime will probabaly
            > qualify for chick with weapons/powers and unless it begins to get very
            > odious, I'll probably watch it for a while at least.

            Well, it may not get odious but I wonder if the large cast will get in
            the way. At least it's not shaping up to be a harem show.

            >> Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
            >> waning . . .
            >
            > Interesting you should bring that up...it looks like the mangaka (or
            > perhaps character designer...I wasn't paying very close attention) for
            > Kannazuki no Miko is the same as the one for Walkure. I was scared
            > when I realized that.

            Character designers are hired guns, so I wouldn't worry so much about
            that, same mangaka on the other hand, might be more dangerous.

            > But, as KnM is clearly not loli...yet...I have hope that I won't have
            > to kill myself. Walkure is the only series that stars Oagata Megumi I
            > have not been able to watch at all. I tried, but I simply couldn't. It
            > was simply too awful. And even though she plays the lead, she has
            > about 7 lines every episode.

            That show cause me to reverse my pledge to always watch a show from
            start to finish, no matter how wretched. I don't do that anymore.

            >>> I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
            >>> stopped.
            >>
            >> I can't believe you even downloaded it.
            >
            > A momentary lapse of sanity. I actually didn't hate Kanon, and for a
            > sec, i thought, maybe, perhaps, there would be something redeeming in
            > To Heart. Then I looked at the official page and deleted it.

            I can understand that, To Heart, like Kanon, seems to have been one of
            the more popular ren'ai game to anime crossovers that no one has
            licensed here yet. Comic Party makes frequent references to To Heart,
            and you could probably fill a library with the amount of doujin that's
            out there for that show. And it makes sense, since it appears that all
            the characters are just otaku fantasy stereotypes.

            >> I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
            >> Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
            >> about that one.
            >
            > I haven't seen anything on that. I'm okay with BT doing pretty boys...
            > for various reasons. I'll keep an eye out for it.

            Bishonen for bishonen's sake is not my thing, but as long it's

            > Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
            >> it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance.
            >
            > Like Love/Love and Hit wo Nerae and the other one? Hmmm...

            Kinda, the manga for Genshiken doesn't really give you anything but a
            broad sense of what Kujibiki Unbalance is about, I think it's a ren'ai
            game made into an anime, like To Heart and wildly popular. Genshiken's
            thing is that it's well written and for a manga about otaku there's not
            a lot of fanservice, since there are only two girls in the main cast.
            One is the girlfriend of one of the otaku, who is a pretty boy and she
            despises otaku and the group he's joined and only sticks around because
            he won't give it up. The other girl is a cosplay otaku, who shows up
            later. Jinmen Jusshin has been scanlating this, if anyone wants to
            check it out.

            >> I'll
            >> probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's
            > got
            >> vampires.
            >
            > I don't see out vampire stories, but have nothing against them,
            > either. I'll wait for your review, then see if it's worth my time. :-)

            As a recovered goth and LARPer, I've still got a thing for vampires. My
            benchmark is the Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs, so I think I got a good
            handle on that. ;) I'll let you know.
          • annie
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
              Plenty of spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.

              Kakyuusei
              I couldn't get through the first episode. Barf! If I care to try again, I
              may need hard liquor to get through it -- and I'm not a drinking person by
              any means.

              Kannazuki no Miko (or Kannaduki no Miko, as one fansubber spelled it)
              Right now, this is definitely the best out there (for yuri fans). The mecha
              looked a bit out of place, but I was glad the giant bad mecha was keeping
              Souma busy--there was something a lot more interesting going on down below.
              Those two girls are definitely into each other, but I think we can pretty
              much predict the ending. Anything between them is doomed, since one is the
              "Solar Priestess" and the other the "Lunar Priestess", it's an
              impossibility for them to *always* be together. I hope the writers come up
              with some plot twist and turn that around somehow. <sigh> Very unlikely.
              I'm not holding my breath. We'll just have to wait for New Moons (i.e.,
              solar eclipses, every 29 1/2 days).
              Download: <http://www.mirkx.com.nyud.net:8090/search.php?search=kannaduki>
              More info:
              <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1487,zoeauk,kannazuki_no_mi.html>

              Soukyuu no Fafner
              "Anata wa soko ni imasu ka?" I can't explain *why* I'm still watching
              this. It's about angsty mecha pilots. There's what looks a lot like
              shounenai, but no shoujoai. One of the best episodes was #6. That's all
              I'm saying. http://a.scarywater.net/ae/ More info:
              <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1424,onyard,sokyu_no_fafner.html>

              Uta-kata
              "Magical girl" anime with naked henshin? Bleh. Boring. I'm afraid I have
              nothing good to say about it or contribute to the reviews. More info:
              <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1547,hpfffk,uta_kata.html>

              Mai (My) HiME
              With that many female characters, well... I feel compelled to continue
              watching this series. But, that's not the only reason. It really does look
              interesting--a girl with a huge sword, another woman looking for her who
              kicks that little ecchi guy's butt. Yeah, I'm liking it. Entertaining
              fight scenes. And I want to find out what Mai caught when she gave mouth
              to mouth resuscitation to that other girl. :-) More info:
              <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1493,hafpby,mai_hime.html>

              Teizokurei Daydream OVA
              "I see dead people." Misaki (the S&M Queen) goes around helping the
              departed rest in peace (or pieces). I find the ecchi parts, which are
              supposed to be humorous, I guess, a turn off and there are some scenes that
              are hard to stomach. Hopefully, they'll tone it down, because I want to
              see more of that S&M Queen who can see dead people. She has got other
              rather interesting hidden "talents". I doubt there'll be any yuri
              here. More info:
              <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1420,ywzumv,teizoku_rei_day.html>

              Re Cutie Honey OVA
              You just can't go wrong with Cutie Honey. :-D A must see. Especially,
              episode #2. High marks all around. It's fun, funny (Scarlet's version of
              the Cutie Honey theme song is hilarious) and as for yuri content, it won't
              disappoint! There should be more anime like this. <g> If you haven't seen
              this yet, then go to
              <http://www.animeforever.org/index.php?goto=archive>. AF-F's 2nd episode
              might have an encoding problem, so you may want to try Spork's version of
              Re Cutie Honey Ep 02. <http://a.scarywater.net/spork/> More info:
              <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1427,unrrsb,re_cutie_honey.html>

              Samurai Champloo
              For a series set in the Edo era (old Japan), they use an awful lot of
              Anglicisms. This is just a funny and entertaining series. Cool Samurai
              action. No yuri, no shoujoai. More info:
              <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1391,rqmieu,samurai_champlo.html>

              Bakuretsu Tenshi - Final Episode
              /* Start BakuTen Spoilers */

              I watched the final episode about two weeks ago. An empty feeling in the
              pit of my stomach is what I felt afterwards. (And it wasn't hunger.) Do
              the writers think we sit through 20+ episodes for the mecha, the blazing
              guns, the skimpy outfits? Emotional connection between characters (in my
              case, *female* characters) is what does it for me. To paraphrase Sailor
              Neptune, "A world without Haruka is not worth saving." She's got her
              priorities right. So, Sei and Joe save Japan (and perhaps the world) from
              the big bad "thing", but she leaves Meg behind, because they get blown to
              pieces. Well, I saw no body parts, so there's still a chance they survived
              and we could see them again in a sequel. (OK, I may be dreaming. If you
              must burst my bubble, please, be gentle. :-) Just kidding.) Joe has been
              through much worse and made it through unscathed. That was an under
              whelming way to go. It might not be in or hip, but gosh darn it, I still
              like and want happy endings. Saving the world is all good, but Joe
              could've somehow managed to get the job done and kept Sei and herself alive.

              /* End BakuTen Spoilers */

              OK. My reviews stink. I just wanted to vent about BakuTen.

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                On Oct 12, 2004, at 12:16 AM, annie wrote:

                > Plenty of spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.
                >
                > Kakyuusei
                > I couldn't get through the first episode. Barf! If I care to try
                > again, I
                > may need hard liquor to get through it -- and I'm not a drinking
                > person by
                > any means.

                OK. Besides the fact it sucks, what was it about?

                > Kannazuki no Miko (or Kannaduki no Miko, as one fansubber spelled it)

                Kannazuki can be romanized a couple different ways it seems, just the
                nature of the language, I'm not sure if one is more right or not, but
                it's all good.

                > Right now, this is definitely the best out there (for yuri fans). The
                > mecha
                > looked a bit out of place, but I was glad the giant bad mecha was
                > keeping
                > Souma busy--there was something a lot more interesting going on down
                > below.
                > Those two girls are definitely into each other, but I think we can
                > pretty
                > much predict the ending. Anything between them is doomed, since one
                > is the
                > "Solar Priestess" and the other the "Lunar Priestess", it's an
                > impossibility for them to *always* be together. I hope the writers
                > come up
                > with some plot twist and turn that around somehow. <sigh> Very
                > unlikely.
                > I'm not holding my breath.

                Probably just as well. Erica first brought this up, but I managed to
                confirm it. Kaishaku, the mangaka of Kannazuki no Miko, is the mangaka
                who brought us UFO Princess Valkyrie and Steel Angel Kurumi, so adjust
                your expectations accordingly. There should definitely be some stuff
                to keep us going, and I've heard spoilers of some ethically
                questionable activity from Chikane in coming episodes, if the anime
                follows the manga closely. But, we'll see.

                > Soukyuu no Fafner
                > "Anata wa soko ni imasu ka?" I can't explain *why* I'm still watching
                > this. It's about angsty mecha pilots. There's what looks a lot like
                > shounenai, but no shoujoai. One of the best episodes was #6.

                Which was the high point of the series for me, since then it's gotten
                uninteresting and I've stopped watching. Though I love Angela's OP and
                ED for the series.

                > Uta-kata
                > "Magical girl" anime with naked henshin? Bleh. Boring. I'm afraid I
                > have
                > nothing good to say about it or contribute to the reviews. More info:
                > <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1547,hpfffk,uta_kata.html>

                Eh, Uta-Kata's henshin is so innocuous compared to UFO Princess
                Valkyrie, I'm not bothered by it.

                > Mai (My) HiME
                > With that many female characters, well... I feel compelled to continue
                > watching this series. But, that's not the only reason. It really does
                > look
                > interesting--a girl with a huge sword, another woman looking for her
                > who
                > kicks that little ecchi guy's butt. Yeah, I'm liking it. Entertaining
                > fight scenes. And I want to find out what Mai caught when she gave
                > mouth
                > to mouth resuscitation to that other girl. :-)

                So far so good, I think. I just saw #2 this morning and it's still in
                the introducing characters and plot phase, and with so many of them,
                it's going to take a while.

                > Teizokurei Daydream OVA
                > "I see dead people." Misaki (the S&M Queen) goes around helping the
                > departed rest in peace (or pieces). I find the ecchi parts, which are
                > supposed to be humorous, I guess, a turn off and there are some scenes
                > that
                > are hard to stomach. Hopefully, they'll tone it down, because I want
                > see more of that S&M Queen who can see dead people. She has got other
                > rather interesting hidden "talents". I doubt there'll be any yuri
                > here.

                I saw this, it was, eh. Not craptacular enough to be fabulous and not
                really all that good. I'll give OVA 2 a shot when it comes out, but
                unless it goes one way or another, I probably won't finish it.

                > Re Cutie Honey OVA
                > You just can't go wrong with Cutie Honey. :-D

                Nope. :-D

                > A must see. Especially,
                > episode #2. High marks all around. It's fun, funny (Scarlet's
                > version of
                > the Cutie Honey theme song is hilarious) and as for yuri content, it
                > won't
                > disappoint! There should be more anime like this. <g>

                Agree all around.

                > Bakuretsu Tenshi - Final Episode
                > /* Start BakuTen Spoilers */
                >
                > I watched the final episode about two weeks ago. An empty feeling in
                > the
                > pit of my stomach is what I felt afterwards. (And it wasn't hunger.)
                > Do
                > the writers think we sit through 20+ episodes for the mecha, the
                > blazing
                > guns, the skimpy outfits? Emotional connection between characters (in
                > my
                > case, *female* characters) is what does it for me.

                You might have been watching BakuTen with the wrong set of
                expectations, honestly. I agree that the final episode is pretty weak,
                mainly since they left so many loose ends, but BakuTen was pretty
                standard shonen style fare. Bubblegum Crisis (and 2040) does this genre
                much better.

                > So, Sei and Joe save Japan (and perhaps the world) from
                > the big bad "thing", but she leaves Meg behind, because they get blown
                > pieces. Well, I saw no body parts, so there's still a chance they
                > survived
                > and we could see them again in a sequel. (OK, I may be dreaming. If you
                > must burst my bubble, please, be gentle. :-) Just kidding.)

                From what I hear, Gonzo announced three months ago that an OVA would
                follow the end of the series. No details at this point, so it could be
                about anything. And it's one of the Anime laws: If you don't see a
                body, they aren't dead.

                Other things I'm watching:

                Top o Nerae 2: Gainax is apparently into their FLCL style this year,
                this and Re:Cutie Honey look and feel very similar. So far there's no
                indication that this show even occupies the same universe as the
                original Top o Nerae, but it's got some yuri potential in the first
                episode, so it can't be all bad.;) Basically, Nono wants to be a pilot,
                so she starts at the bottom and starts work as a waitress in a
                restaurant near a spaceport. She gets harrassed by a bunch men and is
                saved by a cool, exotic looking young lady who's an elite pilot, or
                "Top Race", Princess Lark, who doesn't think she's got the right stuff.
                Then before melancholy sets in, a monster appears, and Nono displays
                that she really does have the right stuff, in more ways than one.
                (There is an awful, awful pun, involved with Top Race.) The yuri
                elements appear, when Nono immediately latches on Lark and starts
                calling her "onee-sama."

                Elfen-Lied: Gory, sci-fi tale about the possible successor to humanity
                and all the broken and dysfunctional people around her. Lucy, said
                evolutionary next step, starts off with split personality, one of which
                is violently psychotic, but as she's a main character, her violently
                psychotic personality mellows out a lot as the series goes on. No yuri,
                but lots of hacking off of limbs and rivers of blood, so it's a wash.
                ;) As I mentioned dysfunctions run rampant in this show, and watching
                these people interact with each other is compelling entertainment (in
                the OMG WTF sense), as it all spirals downward into either pathos or
                tragedy, not sure yet, but any happy ending it might put on would
                probably be pyrrhic at best. This one is nearly over, Episode 12 just
                came out on Sunday, and I think it stops at 13.

                Still Watching:

                Legend of Galactic Heroes: Epic, political space opera goodness. 13
                episodes down, 150+ remaining;)

                Otogizoushi: Nearing the end of the Heian arc, Modern arc to start up
                next. That ought to be interesting.

                Kurau: One of the better shows of the season, patiently waiting for
                more episodes.

                Shinobuden: Silly, wacky ninja confection filled with yuri goodness.;)

                Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig : Motoko, Motoko, Motoko. Less
                existential philosophy, more action and drama.

                Waiting for another installment:

                Lingerie Soldier Rose Papillon: The essence of craptacular.

                Anybody else?

                -==-
                Serge
                "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
              • Adam Jones
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                  On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:44:00 -0400, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Anybody else?

                  Just started watching Gankutsuou, which appears to be a sci-fi retelling
                  of The Count of Monte Cristo, and is one of the most gorgeous-looking
                  pieces of TV animation I've seen in a long while... As of episode 1,
                  however, there's only been one female character (and she's hardly
                  appeared), so it's not likely to end up terribly relevant to this list.
                  I'd certainly recommend it so far, though.

                  Kannazuki no Miko looks amusing, assuming I can manage to put up with
                  the fanservice...

                  ...and speaking of fanservice, I don't think I'm likely to be following
                  Top wo Nerae 2. The CG is tacky (FLCL was way better at it, and that
                  was a few years back(!)) and since the whole first episode was an excuse
                  to draw breasts (gee, thanks, Gainax!), it doesn't seem likely to be
                  terribly deep, somehow.
                  .oO("Owie! uhm why does it say pupu anyhow?" )
                • mellowrg
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                    There's actually a lot of unusual shows this season.

                    A lot of them are based on really weird premises, so I'm actually
                    forced to watch the show further just because I really don't have any
                    idea what to expect.

                    That being said, I'm watching the following

                    1st tier:
                    Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                    approve.
                    School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                    Uta~Kata. Eye candy.
                    Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no pun
                    intended.

                    2nd tier:
                    Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but it's
                    an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how long
                    can these elements sustain the show.
                    Gundam SEED Destiny. One of these days I'm going to marathon this
                    series, but that moment is certainly not now.

                    3rd tier:
                    Tsukiyomi. What the hell was that!? Is this a goth series trying to
                    be cute, or a cute series trying to be goth? Needs further viewing...
                  • Chalcahuite
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                      On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                      > 1st tier:
                      > Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                      > approve.
                      > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.

                      I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out, as I
                      loved Azumanga Daioh.

                      > Uta~Kata. Eye candy.
                      > Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no pun
                      > intended.

                      Guaranteed not to spoil your appetite. ;)

                      > 2nd tier:
                      > Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but it's
                      > an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how long
                      > can these elements sustain the show.

                      My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                      Why? No reason. ;)

                      > Gundam SEED Destiny. One of these days I'm going to marathon this
                      > series, but that moment is certainly not now.

                      Well, if it's as long as it's predecessor, you'll need to block out a
                      weekend. And hey, female pilots, bonus. ;)

                      > 3rd tier:
                      > Tsukiyomi. What the hell was that!? Is this a goth series trying to
                      > be cute, or a cute series trying to be goth? Needs further viewing...

                      The answer to your question is yes. The power of the gothic lolita
                      nekomimi vampire compels you. ;) Erica, you're not missing anything
                      here at all. I'll continue to watch this, but it's no Vampire Princess
                      Miyu OVA.

                      Adam was right on with Gankutsuou. Definitely a visual feast, though
                      I've kinda neglected my18th century French literature and have not read
                      the Count of Monte Cristo, so I'll defer to others for comparisons.

                      And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                      world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom female,
                      with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                      though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does so
                      in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud. This
                      series scores relatively high on the craptacular meter as it will
                      probably be all about Rushuna and her big guns.;) While there was no
                      yuri in this episode, given it's feel, I can't imagine that they won't
                      throw in some shonen yuri fanservice at some point. So if you like the
                      combo of big guns and big boobs, (and really who doesn't? :-D) then
                      Grenadier is the show for you. ;)

                      -==-
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                        > On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:

                        > > 1st tier:
                        > > Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                        > > approve.

                        This is appealing in a creepy doll way. Serge - you'll like it, very
                        Goth Lolita

                        > > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                        >
                        > I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                        as I
                        > loved Azumanga Daioh.

                        I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                        love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                        IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                        "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                        > > Uta~Kata. Eye candy.

                        I'm STILL not sure what the heck this is about, three episodes into
                        it. ;-) I like the weird older next-door neighbor, though.

                        > > Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no
                        pun
                        > > intended.
                        >
                        > Guaranteed not to spoil your appetite. ;)

                        I like this, and I have NO idea why.

                        > > 2nd tier:
                        > > Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but
                        it's
                        > > an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how
                        long
                        > > can these elements sustain the show.
                        >
                        > My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                        > Why? No reason. ;)

                        I don;t think it has much of a plot, and the mecha's downright silly,
                        but Chikane's still getting hugs in ep. 3, so I'm still watching.

                        > The answer to your question is yes. The power of the gothic lolita
                        > nekomimi vampire compels you. ;) Erica, you're not missing anything
                        > here at all. I'll continue to watch this, but it's no Vampire
                        Princess
                        > Miyu OVA.

                        Yeah, I wasn;t assuming as much. LOL

                        > And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                        > world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom
                        female,
                        > with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                        > though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does
                        so
                        > in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud.

                        I pretty much though the same thing. It's dumb, dumb, dumb, and I'll
                        watch it for a while because of that.

                        Lirical Nanoha has developed no personality yet, at Ep. 3, but then
                        again, CCS didn't become interesting until episode 8 or so. We'll see
                        how long I can stand the cuteness.

                        Ad I am feverishly awaiting the utter "wtf" of Nagareboshi Sentai
                        Musumet ep. 2, because it was so utterly without merit that I am
                        compelled to watch it. I think this and Grenadier have the likeliest
                        yuri fanservice potential.

                        Kannazuki still wins on yuri fanservice (and other forms, as well)
                        hands down this year. :-) I forsee much crappy fanfic for KnM.

                      • Chalcahuite
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                          On Oct 17, 2004, at 8:57 PM, atheniag wrote:

                          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                          >> On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                          >
                          >>> 1st tier:
                          >>> Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                          >>> approve.
                          >
                          > This is appealing in a creepy doll way. Serge - you'll like it, very
                          > Goth Lolita

                          Hmm. All right, I'll bite. ;)

                          >>> School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                          >>
                          >> I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                          > as I
                          >> loved Azumanga Daioh.
                          >
                          > I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                          > love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                          > IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                          > "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                          Caution noted. I'm downloading now and we'll see.

                          >>> 2nd tier:
                          >>> Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but
                          > it's
                          >>> an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how
                          > long
                          >>> can these elements sustain the show.
                          >>
                          >> My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                          >> Why? No reason. ;)
                          >
                          > I don;t think it has much of a plot, and the mecha's downright silly,
                          > but Chikane's still getting hugs in ep. 3, so I'm still watching.

                          That's really the only reason I'm watching. I want Chikane to win. ;)
                          I'll stick to the Gundam franchise when I want to watch angsty, young
                          boys piloting mecha and raging against the cruelties of fate which
                          forces them to fight.

                          >> And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                          >> world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom
                          > female,
                          >> with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                          >> though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does
                          > so
                          >> in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud.
                          >
                          > I pretty much though the same thing. It's dumb, dumb, dumb, and I'll
                          > watch it for a while because of that.

                          I figured you'd appreciate this for what it was. ;)

                          > Ad I am feverishly awaiting the utter "wtf" of Nagareboshi Sentai
                          > Musumet ep. 2, because it was so utterly without merit that I am
                          > compelled to watch it.

                          Me too.

                          > Kannazuki still wins on yuri fanservice (and other forms, as well)
                          > hands down this year. :-) I forsee much crappy fanfic for KnM.

                          Oh, goody. 'Cos we need more of that. ;)

                          -==-
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004

                            > > > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                            > >
                            > > I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                            > as I
                            > > loved Azumanga Daioh.
                            >
                            > I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                            > love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                            > IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                            > "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                            I just completed a School Rumble manga marathon. I retract my
                            statement on this being like Azumanga Daioh. It's nothing like that.
                            This series is a WEIRD mixture of self searching drama and silly
                            comedy, and it actually does the drama part better than the comedy part.