Re: [Yuricon] New season overview

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
      On Oct 3, 2004, at 9:15 PM, atheniag wrote:
      > Well, the new season of anime has begun. I haven't watched *every* new
      > series that's come down the pike, many don't appeal for one reason or
      > another, but I thought I'd give you my opinions on some that might be
      > of interest.
      >
      > Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
      > just fun, goofy, been there, done that.

      That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .

      > Kannzuki no Miko -

      Still downloading, will chime in later. Though based on your
      description, clearly the frontrunner.

      > Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected. It's bad
      > science scifi meets monster fantasy and silly all at once. I expect
      > that, when I get more of the story I will drop it like a hot potato,
      > but for now, cool chicks, with obligatory weapons, are fine. The
      > yuriest thing about the episode was the closing credits...so, maybe,
      > maybe not.

      I thought this was OK, but I'll have to watch a few more episodes to
      know for sure. This one looks like a full 26 episode series, based on
      the sheer number of characters that populate the credits. And yes, the
      end credits hint that there may actually be something viable among the
      secondary characters, as well. The last shot, from what I understand,
      is just a tease, nothing will happen there.

      > Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - can we say "CCS Ripoff"? I knew we
      > could. Nanoha completely violates all magical girl anime by having a
      > complete functional and full stocked family. Bad Nanoha. She has a
      > Tomoyo of her own, who appears to come with a built-in butch
      > girlfriend. The magical creature is a weasel.

      Interesting. BTW, we've always known that weasels are magical. They
      have a special ability to be cute when we want to kill them, saves them
      everytime. ;)

      > Nanoha is notable for
      > having the most "wtf" moments so far of the season. For one thing, her
      > transformation is full-frontal nude...and she's 9. Her underwear
      > becomes doves and flies away.

      Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
      waning . . .

      > There is a completely bizarro scene
      > where we see two cats fighting inexplicably in front of her house and
      > the animation studio changes ABRUPTLY mid-episode. And the eyecatch
      > was cavity-forming.
      >
      > Neither thumbs up or down. It looks harmless fun for the whole
      > pedophile family.

      I'll be sure to tell my creepy uncle about it, then. ;)

      > Utakata - well, more magical girl (again with 2 completely alive,
      > non-android or alien parents)

      Well, this now completely blows the magical girl/porn star comparison I
      had going. Donna and I were watching the VH1 special on Jenna Jameson
      and we wondered why is it that porn stars never come from normal,
      functional families. And I remarked they were like magical girls. But,
      I guess that comparison doesn't work anymore. Oh well.

      > It had a sort of yuri kinda if you
      > squint moment at the end and in the closing credits. I think I'll like
      > it despite myself. The animation is by the same guy as Kiddy Grade, so
      > you'll get yuri hints and subtext, but that's about it. Lots of girls
      > - sure to be one who fits the stereotype you like.

      They're all the stereotype I like. Gotta catch 'em all. ;) Might have
      to check this one out.

      > I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
      > stopped.

      I can't believe you even downloaded it.

      > I'm looking forward to Grenadier, too, just because of the
      > Charlie's Angel's logo on the website.

      I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
      Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
      about that one. Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
      it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance. The joke is that KU is
      the anime/manga that all the otaku in Genshiken obsess over. I'll
      probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's got
      vampires. Though I don't have high hopes for that, the stupidity
      potential is kinda high on this one, based on the write up in NT-USA.

      -==-
      Serge
      "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
        >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>

        >Based on what I've seen in Dengeki Daioh, Uta~Kata is going to be a
        >magical girl anime.

        It most certainly is a magical girl anime. (Didn't I mention
        that...hmmm...sorry.) It was cute, bland, with some yuri subtext, but not
        the kind of thing I personally read as real yuri, just soert of a vague hint
        that, yeah, if you squint it might be considered yuri. (The kind of thing
        the Yuri ML gets all worked up over. LOL)

        >Anyway, in addition to the ones you mentioned I'm also looking
        >forward to Musumet. It seems to be like Pretty Cure, except in RGB
        >instead of Black and White. LOL.

        Yup. I'm dl'ing that now and will watch it tonight. It also looks REALLY
        loli, which as everyone knows is not my fave, but I'll survive.

      • atua101
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004

          > Well, the new season of anime has begun. I haven't watched *every*
          new
          > series that's come down the pike, many don't appeal for one reason
          or
          > another, but I thought I'd give you my opinions on some that might
          be
          > of interest.
          >
          > Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
          > just fun, goofy, been there, done that.

          Wow, you've seen that many new series already? I've only seen
          Kannaduki & Mai-HiME, with Uta-Kata on download...

          > Kannzuki no Miko - This one has got to be considered a winner, as
          long
          > as you aren't looking for quality. It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
          > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
          > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too
          little
          > fanservice). So, basically, Chikane and Himeko share a birthday.
          > Chikane (who is more than a little reminiscent of Hazuki from Yami
          > Boushi to Hon no Tabibito,) has a long-standing thing for Himeko and
          > wants to make it mutual. Himeko's other long-time friend (male)
          > Souma, also has a thing for Himeko, but our resident blonde is very
          > blonde about it.

          I also thought this series very deliberately reminiscent of MariMite &
          YamiBou. I liked the episode overall, especially the oddly humourous
          blend of miko/mecha scenes. Unfortunately, I also think that the girls
          have DOOMED stamped on their foreheads yuri-wise; this series will
          probably wind up with a YamiBou type ending; the girls will either end
          up dead, parted, or Himeko will end up with Souma. Having said that, I
          liked this series a lot more than Mai-HiME so I'll certainly keep
          watching, and hope that my prediction's wrong...

          > Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected. It's bad
          > science scifi meets monster fantasy and silly all at once. I expect
          > that, when I get more of the story I will drop it like a hot potato,
          > but for now, cool chicks, with obligatory weapons, are fine. The
          > yuriest thing about the episode was the closing credits...so, maybe,
          > maybe not.
          >
          > Thumbs up because I haven't found anything as good as Digimon in a
          > while.

          I was a bit disappointed with this after all the pre-show hype
          surrounding this series. I didn't find any of the 4 main characters
          introduced in Ep 1 that appealing, and the show seems fairly generic
          and derivative so far despite the talent behind the series, and
          reminds me a lot of Scrye and a little of Stellvia. The only shoujo-ai
          I see so far is in the outro, but this series is shaping up to have a
          large number of secondary characters, so there may be something there.

          Cheers,

          ~atua
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
            On Oct 3, 2004, at 9:15 PM, atheniag wrote:

            > Kannzuki no Miko - This one has got to be considered a winner, as long
            > as you aren't looking for quality.

            I agree, though it's not quite craptacular, it's clearly best of the
            bunch so far.

            > It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
            > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
            > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too little
            > fanservice).

            Yes, because, clearly, we didn't know we missed those things. ;)

            > Here's the really good part: Wile Souma fights off the possession, and
            > then uses his mecha against the evil chick, Chikane takes a moment to
            > have a long....long...long, lingering look at Himeko's chest, get a
            > small grope in and THEN do CPR.

            Absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what if her heart is on the
            other side, it's the thought that counts.

            > As Himeko comes to, Chikane gets in
            > some more chest-watching, as Souma continues his battle, Chikane gets
            > a kiss. Souma screams that he's going to protect Himeko, but I
            > countered that he'd already lost her.

            Poor guy, the series just started and he's, literally, the odd man out.
            Well, at least he'll get to lift things, squish bugs, and beat back
            giant mech for them. ;)

            > Kun said that it was a good
            > thing that the girls weren't supposed to be the ones fighting the evil
            > mecha, or the world would have gone down while Chikane was perving.

            I would totally understand. Somethings are just more important. ;)

            > This one looks great - thumbs up from me.

            Agreed. The lily in the last shot of the ED, makes me think that this
            isn't just a tease. Though I hope they don't ruin it by taking it ol'
            skool, or something.

            -==-
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
              >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

              > > It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
              > > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
              > > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too little
              > > fanservice).
              >
              >Yes, because, clearly, we didn't know we missed those things. ;)

              Speak for yourself. I was watcing the finale of ~Haru the other day and
              thinking, "Wow, this would be SO much better if a mecha broke through the
              floor and one of them became possessed of magic powers..." LOL

              > > Here's the really good part: Wile Souma fights off the possession, and
              > > then uses his mecha against the evil chick, Chikane takes a moment to
              > > have a long....long...long, lingering look at Himeko's chest, get a
              > > small grope in and THEN do CPR.
              >
              >Absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what if her heart is on the
              >other side, it's the thought that counts.

              Chikane was just practicing. :-)

              > > Kun said that it was a good
              > > thing that the girls weren't supposed to be the ones fighting the evil
              > > mecha, or the world would have gone down while Chikane was perving.
              >
              >I would totally understand. Somethings are just more important. ;)

              Damn straight. I approved of the fact that Chikane waited until after Himeko
              was conscious again. That's a step in the right direction...

              >Agreed. The lily in the last shot of the ED, makes me think that this
              >isn't just a tease. Though I hope they don't ruin it by taking it ol'
              >skool, or something.

              Yup. I'll pretty much be happy if Chikane gets the kisses and gropes and
              Souma gets the hard work.

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004

                > > Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
                > > just fun, goofy, been there, done that.
                >
                > That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .

                And we were right, let's face it. The end was unusual for Bee Train,
                but the sory was pretty par.

                > > Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected.

                > I thought this was OK, but I'll have to watch a few more episodes to
                > know for sure. This one looks like a full 26 episode series, based
                on
                > the sheer number of characters that populate the credits. And yes,
                the
                > end credits hint that there may actually be something viable among
                the
                > secondary characters, as well. The last shot, from what I
                understand,
                > is just a tease, nothing will happen there.

                I don't think it'll be ayuri thing, but Mai Hime will probabaly
                qualify for chick with weapons/powers and unless it begins to get very
                odious, I'll probably watch it for a while at least.

                > Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
                > waning . . .

                Interesting you should bring that up...it looks like the mangaka (or
                perhaps character designer...I wasn't paying very close attention) for
                Kannazuki no Miko is the same as the one for Walkure. I was scared
                when I realized that.

                But, as KnM is clearly not loli...yet...I have hope that I won't have
                to kill myself. Walkure is the only series that stars Oagata Megumi I
                have not been able to watch at all. I tried, but I simply couldn't. It
                was simply too awful. And even though she plays the lead, she has
                about 7 lines every episode.

                > > Utakata - well, more magical girl (again with 2 completely alive,
                > > non-android or alien parents)

                See...I did say it was a magical girl anime...

                > Well, this now completely blows the magical girl/porn star
                comparison I
                > had going. Donna and I were watching the VH1 special on Jenna
                Jameson
                > and we wondered why is it that porn stars never come from normal,
                > functional families. And I remarked they were like magical girls.
                But,
                > I guess that comparison doesn't work anymore. Oh well.

                How very *different* and "out of the box" these series all are...

                > > I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
                > > stopped.
                >
                > I can't believe you even downloaded it.

                A momentary lapse of sanity. I actually didn't hate Kanon, and for a
                sec, i thought, maybe, perhaps, there would be something redeeming in
                To Heart. Then I looked at the official page and deleted it.

                > I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
                > Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
                > about that one.

                I haven't seen anything on that. I'm okay with BT doing pretty boys...
                for various reasons. I'll keep an eye out for it.

                Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
                > it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance.

                Like Love/Love and Hit wo Nerae and the other one? Hmmm...

                > I'll
                > probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's
                got
                > vampires.

                I don't see out vampire stories, but have nothing against them,
                either. I'll wait for your review, then see if it's worth my time. :-)

              • Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                  On Oct 5, 2004, at 9:20 AM, atheniag wrote:

                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>> Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
                  >>> just fun, goofy, been there, done that.
                  >>
                  >> That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .
                  >
                  > And we were right, let's face it. The end was unusual for Bee Train,
                  > but the sory was pretty par.

                  Hmm, you're right. I forgot that we had it nearly all figured out early
                  on, but it took us a while on ROD TV. . . .

                  > I don't think it'll be ayuri thing, but Mai Hime will probabaly
                  > qualify for chick with weapons/powers and unless it begins to get very
                  > odious, I'll probably watch it for a while at least.

                  Well, it may not get odious but I wonder if the large cast will get in
                  the way. At least it's not shaping up to be a harem show.

                  >> Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
                  >> waning . . .
                  >
                  > Interesting you should bring that up...it looks like the mangaka (or
                  > perhaps character designer...I wasn't paying very close attention) for
                  > Kannazuki no Miko is the same as the one for Walkure. I was scared
                  > when I realized that.

                  Character designers are hired guns, so I wouldn't worry so much about
                  that, same mangaka on the other hand, might be more dangerous.

                  > But, as KnM is clearly not loli...yet...I have hope that I won't have
                  > to kill myself. Walkure is the only series that stars Oagata Megumi I
                  > have not been able to watch at all. I tried, but I simply couldn't. It
                  > was simply too awful. And even though she plays the lead, she has
                  > about 7 lines every episode.

                  That show cause me to reverse my pledge to always watch a show from
                  start to finish, no matter how wretched. I don't do that anymore.

                  >>> I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
                  >>> stopped.
                  >>
                  >> I can't believe you even downloaded it.
                  >
                  > A momentary lapse of sanity. I actually didn't hate Kanon, and for a
                  > sec, i thought, maybe, perhaps, there would be something redeeming in
                  > To Heart. Then I looked at the official page and deleted it.

                  I can understand that, To Heart, like Kanon, seems to have been one of
                  the more popular ren'ai game to anime crossovers that no one has
                  licensed here yet. Comic Party makes frequent references to To Heart,
                  and you could probably fill a library with the amount of doujin that's
                  out there for that show. And it makes sense, since it appears that all
                  the characters are just otaku fantasy stereotypes.

                  >> I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
                  >> Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
                  >> about that one.
                  >
                  > I haven't seen anything on that. I'm okay with BT doing pretty boys...
                  > for various reasons. I'll keep an eye out for it.

                  Bishonen for bishonen's sake is not my thing, but as long it's

                  > Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
                  >> it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance.
                  >
                  > Like Love/Love and Hit wo Nerae and the other one? Hmmm...

                  Kinda, the manga for Genshiken doesn't really give you anything but a
                  broad sense of what Kujibiki Unbalance is about, I think it's a ren'ai
                  game made into an anime, like To Heart and wildly popular. Genshiken's
                  thing is that it's well written and for a manga about otaku there's not
                  a lot of fanservice, since there are only two girls in the main cast.
                  One is the girlfriend of one of the otaku, who is a pretty boy and she
                  despises otaku and the group he's joined and only sticks around because
                  he won't give it up. The other girl is a cosplay otaku, who shows up
                  later. Jinmen Jusshin has been scanlating this, if anyone wants to
                  check it out.

                  >> I'll
                  >> probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's
                  > got
                  >> vampires.
                  >
                  > I don't see out vampire stories, but have nothing against them,
                  > either. I'll wait for your review, then see if it's worth my time. :-)

                  As a recovered goth and LARPer, I've still got a thing for vampires. My
                  benchmark is the Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs, so I think I got a good
                  handle on that. ;) I'll let you know.
                • annie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                    Plenty of spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.

                    Kakyuusei
                    I couldn't get through the first episode. Barf! If I care to try again, I
                    may need hard liquor to get through it -- and I'm not a drinking person by
                    any means.

                    Kannazuki no Miko (or Kannaduki no Miko, as one fansubber spelled it)
                    Right now, this is definitely the best out there (for yuri fans). The mecha
                    looked a bit out of place, but I was glad the giant bad mecha was keeping
                    Souma busy--there was something a lot more interesting going on down below.
                    Those two girls are definitely into each other, but I think we can pretty
                    much predict the ending. Anything between them is doomed, since one is the
                    "Solar Priestess" and the other the "Lunar Priestess", it's an
                    impossibility for them to *always* be together. I hope the writers come up
                    with some plot twist and turn that around somehow. <sigh> Very unlikely.
                    I'm not holding my breath. We'll just have to wait for New Moons (i.e.,
                    solar eclipses, every 29 1/2 days).
                    Download: <http://www.mirkx.com.nyud.net:8090/search.php?search=kannaduki>
                    More info:
                    <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1487,zoeauk,kannazuki_no_mi.html>

                    Soukyuu no Fafner
                    "Anata wa soko ni imasu ka?" I can't explain *why* I'm still watching
                    this. It's about angsty mecha pilots. There's what looks a lot like
                    shounenai, but no shoujoai. One of the best episodes was #6. That's all
                    I'm saying. http://a.scarywater.net/ae/ More info:
                    <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1424,onyard,sokyu_no_fafner.html>

                    Uta-kata
                    "Magical girl" anime with naked henshin? Bleh. Boring. I'm afraid I have
                    nothing good to say about it or contribute to the reviews. More info:
                    <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1547,hpfffk,uta_kata.html>

                    Mai (My) HiME
                    With that many female characters, well... I feel compelled to continue
                    watching this series. But, that's not the only reason. It really does look
                    interesting--a girl with a huge sword, another woman looking for her who
                    kicks that little ecchi guy's butt. Yeah, I'm liking it. Entertaining
                    fight scenes. And I want to find out what Mai caught when she gave mouth
                    to mouth resuscitation to that other girl. :-) More info:
                    <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1493,hafpby,mai_hime.html>

                    Teizokurei Daydream OVA
                    "I see dead people." Misaki (the S&M Queen) goes around helping the
                    departed rest in peace (or pieces). I find the ecchi parts, which are
                    supposed to be humorous, I guess, a turn off and there are some scenes that
                    are hard to stomach. Hopefully, they'll tone it down, because I want to
                    see more of that S&M Queen who can see dead people. She has got other
                    rather interesting hidden "talents". I doubt there'll be any yuri
                    here. More info:
                    <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1420,ywzumv,teizoku_rei_day.html>

                    Re Cutie Honey OVA
                    You just can't go wrong with Cutie Honey. :-D A must see. Especially,
                    episode #2. High marks all around. It's fun, funny (Scarlet's version of
                    the Cutie Honey theme song is hilarious) and as for yuri content, it won't
                    disappoint! There should be more anime like this. <g> If you haven't seen
                    this yet, then go to
                    <http://www.animeforever.org/index.php?goto=archive>. AF-F's 2nd episode
                    might have an encoding problem, so you may want to try Spork's version of
                    Re Cutie Honey Ep 02. <http://a.scarywater.net/spork/> More info:
                    <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1427,unrrsb,re_cutie_honey.html>

                    Samurai Champloo
                    For a series set in the Edo era (old Japan), they use an awful lot of
                    Anglicisms. This is just a funny and entertaining series. Cool Samurai
                    action. No yuri, no shoujoai. More info:
                    <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1391,rqmieu,samurai_champlo.html>

                    Bakuretsu Tenshi - Final Episode
                    /* Start BakuTen Spoilers */

                    I watched the final episode about two weeks ago. An empty feeling in the
                    pit of my stomach is what I felt afterwards. (And it wasn't hunger.) Do
                    the writers think we sit through 20+ episodes for the mecha, the blazing
                    guns, the skimpy outfits? Emotional connection between characters (in my
                    case, *female* characters) is what does it for me. To paraphrase Sailor
                    Neptune, "A world without Haruka is not worth saving." She's got her
                    priorities right. So, Sei and Joe save Japan (and perhaps the world) from
                    the big bad "thing", but she leaves Meg behind, because they get blown to
                    pieces. Well, I saw no body parts, so there's still a chance they survived
                    and we could see them again in a sequel. (OK, I may be dreaming. If you
                    must burst my bubble, please, be gentle. :-) Just kidding.) Joe has been
                    through much worse and made it through unscathed. That was an under
                    whelming way to go. It might not be in or hip, but gosh darn it, I still
                    like and want happy endings. Saving the world is all good, but Joe
                    could've somehow managed to get the job done and kept Sei and herself alive.

                    /* End BakuTen Spoilers */

                    OK. My reviews stink. I just wanted to vent about BakuTen.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                      On Oct 12, 2004, at 12:16 AM, annie wrote:

                      > Plenty of spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.
                      >
                      > Kakyuusei
                      > I couldn't get through the first episode. Barf! If I care to try
                      > again, I
                      > may need hard liquor to get through it -- and I'm not a drinking
                      > person by
                      > any means.

                      OK. Besides the fact it sucks, what was it about?

                      > Kannazuki no Miko (or Kannaduki no Miko, as one fansubber spelled it)

                      Kannazuki can be romanized a couple different ways it seems, just the
                      nature of the language, I'm not sure if one is more right or not, but
                      it's all good.

                      > Right now, this is definitely the best out there (for yuri fans). The
                      > mecha
                      > looked a bit out of place, but I was glad the giant bad mecha was
                      > keeping
                      > Souma busy--there was something a lot more interesting going on down
                      > below.
                      > Those two girls are definitely into each other, but I think we can
                      > pretty
                      > much predict the ending. Anything between them is doomed, since one
                      > is the
                      > "Solar Priestess" and the other the "Lunar Priestess", it's an
                      > impossibility for them to *always* be together. I hope the writers
                      > come up
                      > with some plot twist and turn that around somehow. <sigh> Very
                      > unlikely.
                      > I'm not holding my breath.

                      Probably just as well. Erica first brought this up, but I managed to
                      confirm it. Kaishaku, the mangaka of Kannazuki no Miko, is the mangaka
                      who brought us UFO Princess Valkyrie and Steel Angel Kurumi, so adjust
                      your expectations accordingly. There should definitely be some stuff
                      to keep us going, and I've heard spoilers of some ethically
                      questionable activity from Chikane in coming episodes, if the anime
                      follows the manga closely. But, we'll see.

                      > Soukyuu no Fafner
                      > "Anata wa soko ni imasu ka?" I can't explain *why* I'm still watching
                      > this. It's about angsty mecha pilots. There's what looks a lot like
                      > shounenai, but no shoujoai. One of the best episodes was #6.

                      Which was the high point of the series for me, since then it's gotten
                      uninteresting and I've stopped watching. Though I love Angela's OP and
                      ED for the series.

                      > Uta-kata
                      > "Magical girl" anime with naked henshin? Bleh. Boring. I'm afraid I
                      > have
                      > nothing good to say about it or contribute to the reviews. More info:
                      > <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1547,hpfffk,uta_kata.html>

                      Eh, Uta-Kata's henshin is so innocuous compared to UFO Princess
                      Valkyrie, I'm not bothered by it.

                      > Mai (My) HiME
                      > With that many female characters, well... I feel compelled to continue
                      > watching this series. But, that's not the only reason. It really does
                      > look
                      > interesting--a girl with a huge sword, another woman looking for her
                      > who
                      > kicks that little ecchi guy's butt. Yeah, I'm liking it. Entertaining
                      > fight scenes. And I want to find out what Mai caught when she gave
                      > mouth
                      > to mouth resuscitation to that other girl. :-)

                      So far so good, I think. I just saw #2 this morning and it's still in
                      the introducing characters and plot phase, and with so many of them,
                      it's going to take a while.

                      > Teizokurei Daydream OVA
                      > "I see dead people." Misaki (the S&M Queen) goes around helping the
                      > departed rest in peace (or pieces). I find the ecchi parts, which are
                      > supposed to be humorous, I guess, a turn off and there are some scenes
                      > that
                      > are hard to stomach. Hopefully, they'll tone it down, because I want
                      > see more of that S&M Queen who can see dead people. She has got other
                      > rather interesting hidden "talents". I doubt there'll be any yuri
                      > here.

                      I saw this, it was, eh. Not craptacular enough to be fabulous and not
                      really all that good. I'll give OVA 2 a shot when it comes out, but
                      unless it goes one way or another, I probably won't finish it.

                      > Re Cutie Honey OVA
                      > You just can't go wrong with Cutie Honey. :-D

                      Nope. :-D

                      > A must see. Especially,
                      > episode #2. High marks all around. It's fun, funny (Scarlet's
                      > version of
                      > the Cutie Honey theme song is hilarious) and as for yuri content, it
                      > won't
                      > disappoint! There should be more anime like this. <g>

                      Agree all around.

                      > Bakuretsu Tenshi - Final Episode
                      > /* Start BakuTen Spoilers */
                      >
                      > I watched the final episode about two weeks ago. An empty feeling in
                      > the
                      > pit of my stomach is what I felt afterwards. (And it wasn't hunger.)
                      > Do
                      > the writers think we sit through 20+ episodes for the mecha, the
                      > blazing
                      > guns, the skimpy outfits? Emotional connection between characters (in
                      > my
                      > case, *female* characters) is what does it for me.

                      You might have been watching BakuTen with the wrong set of
                      expectations, honestly. I agree that the final episode is pretty weak,
                      mainly since they left so many loose ends, but BakuTen was pretty
                      standard shonen style fare. Bubblegum Crisis (and 2040) does this genre
                      much better.

                      > So, Sei and Joe save Japan (and perhaps the world) from
                      > the big bad "thing", but she leaves Meg behind, because they get blown
                      > pieces. Well, I saw no body parts, so there's still a chance they
                      > survived
                      > and we could see them again in a sequel. (OK, I may be dreaming. If you
                      > must burst my bubble, please, be gentle. :-) Just kidding.)

                      From what I hear, Gonzo announced three months ago that an OVA would
                      follow the end of the series. No details at this point, so it could be
                      about anything. And it's one of the Anime laws: If you don't see a
                      body, they aren't dead.

                      Other things I'm watching:

                      Top o Nerae 2: Gainax is apparently into their FLCL style this year,
                      this and Re:Cutie Honey look and feel very similar. So far there's no
                      indication that this show even occupies the same universe as the
                      original Top o Nerae, but it's got some yuri potential in the first
                      episode, so it can't be all bad.;) Basically, Nono wants to be a pilot,
                      so she starts at the bottom and starts work as a waitress in a
                      restaurant near a spaceport. She gets harrassed by a bunch men and is
                      saved by a cool, exotic looking young lady who's an elite pilot, or
                      "Top Race", Princess Lark, who doesn't think she's got the right stuff.
                      Then before melancholy sets in, a monster appears, and Nono displays
                      that she really does have the right stuff, in more ways than one.
                      (There is an awful, awful pun, involved with Top Race.) The yuri
                      elements appear, when Nono immediately latches on Lark and starts
                      calling her "onee-sama."

                      Elfen-Lied: Gory, sci-fi tale about the possible successor to humanity
                      and all the broken and dysfunctional people around her. Lucy, said
                      evolutionary next step, starts off with split personality, one of which
                      is violently psychotic, but as she's a main character, her violently
                      psychotic personality mellows out a lot as the series goes on. No yuri,
                      but lots of hacking off of limbs and rivers of blood, so it's a wash.
                      ;) As I mentioned dysfunctions run rampant in this show, and watching
                      these people interact with each other is compelling entertainment (in
                      the OMG WTF sense), as it all spirals downward into either pathos or
                      tragedy, not sure yet, but any happy ending it might put on would
                      probably be pyrrhic at best. This one is nearly over, Episode 12 just
                      came out on Sunday, and I think it stops at 13.

                      Still Watching:

                      Legend of Galactic Heroes: Epic, political space opera goodness. 13
                      episodes down, 150+ remaining;)

                      Otogizoushi: Nearing the end of the Heian arc, Modern arc to start up
                      next. That ought to be interesting.

                      Kurau: One of the better shows of the season, patiently waiting for
                      more episodes.

                      Shinobuden: Silly, wacky ninja confection filled with yuri goodness.;)

                      Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig : Motoko, Motoko, Motoko. Less
                      existential philosophy, more action and drama.

                      Waiting for another installment:

                      Lingerie Soldier Rose Papillon: The essence of craptacular.

                      Anybody else?

                      -==-
                      Serge
                      "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
                    • Adam Jones
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                        On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:44:00 -0400, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Anybody else?

                        Just started watching Gankutsuou, which appears to be a sci-fi retelling
                        of The Count of Monte Cristo, and is one of the most gorgeous-looking
                        pieces of TV animation I've seen in a long while... As of episode 1,
                        however, there's only been one female character (and she's hardly
                        appeared), so it's not likely to end up terribly relevant to this list.
                        I'd certainly recommend it so far, though.

                        Kannazuki no Miko looks amusing, assuming I can manage to put up with
                        the fanservice...

                        ...and speaking of fanservice, I don't think I'm likely to be following
                        Top wo Nerae 2. The CG is tacky (FLCL was way better at it, and that
                        was a few years back(!)) and since the whole first episode was an excuse
                        to draw breasts (gee, thanks, Gainax!), it doesn't seem likely to be
                        terribly deep, somehow.
                        .oO("Owie! uhm why does it say pupu anyhow?" )
                      • mellowrg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                          There's actually a lot of unusual shows this season.

                          A lot of them are based on really weird premises, so I'm actually
                          forced to watch the show further just because I really don't have any
                          idea what to expect.

                          That being said, I'm watching the following

                          1st tier:
                          Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                          approve.
                          School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                          Uta~Kata. Eye candy.
                          Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no pun
                          intended.

                          2nd tier:
                          Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but it's
                          an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how long
                          can these elements sustain the show.
                          Gundam SEED Destiny. One of these days I'm going to marathon this
                          series, but that moment is certainly not now.

                          3rd tier:
                          Tsukiyomi. What the hell was that!? Is this a goth series trying to
                          be cute, or a cute series trying to be goth? Needs further viewing...
                        • Chalcahuite
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                            On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                            > 1st tier:
                            > Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                            > approve.
                            > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.

                            I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out, as I
                            loved Azumanga Daioh.

                            > Uta~Kata. Eye candy.
                            > Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no pun
                            > intended.

                            Guaranteed not to spoil your appetite. ;)

                            > 2nd tier:
                            > Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but it's
                            > an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how long
                            > can these elements sustain the show.

                            My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                            Why? No reason. ;)

                            > Gundam SEED Destiny. One of these days I'm going to marathon this
                            > series, but that moment is certainly not now.

                            Well, if it's as long as it's predecessor, you'll need to block out a
                            weekend. And hey, female pilots, bonus. ;)

                            > 3rd tier:
                            > Tsukiyomi. What the hell was that!? Is this a goth series trying to
                            > be cute, or a cute series trying to be goth? Needs further viewing...

                            The answer to your question is yes. The power of the gothic lolita
                            nekomimi vampire compels you. ;) Erica, you're not missing anything
                            here at all. I'll continue to watch this, but it's no Vampire Princess
                            Miyu OVA.

                            Adam was right on with Gankutsuou. Definitely a visual feast, though
                            I've kinda neglected my18th century French literature and have not read
                            the Count of Monte Cristo, so I'll defer to others for comparisons.

                            And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                            world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom female,
                            with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                            though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does so
                            in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud. This
                            series scores relatively high on the craptacular meter as it will
                            probably be all about Rushuna and her big guns.;) While there was no
                            yuri in this episode, given it's feel, I can't imagine that they won't
                            throw in some shonen yuri fanservice at some point. So if you like the
                            combo of big guns and big boobs, (and really who doesn't? :-D) then
                            Grenadier is the show for you. ;)

                            -==-
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                              > On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:

                              > > 1st tier:
                              > > Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                              > > approve.

                              This is appealing in a creepy doll way. Serge - you'll like it, very
                              Goth Lolita

                              > > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                              >
                              > I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                              as I
                              > loved Azumanga Daioh.

                              I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                              love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                              IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                              "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                              > > Uta~Kata. Eye candy.

                              I'm STILL not sure what the heck this is about, three episodes into
                              it. ;-) I like the weird older next-door neighbor, though.

                              > > Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no
                              pun
                              > > intended.
                              >
                              > Guaranteed not to spoil your appetite. ;)

                              I like this, and I have NO idea why.

                              > > 2nd tier:
                              > > Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but
                              it's
                              > > an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how
                              long
                              > > can these elements sustain the show.
                              >
                              > My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                              > Why? No reason. ;)

                              I don;t think it has much of a plot, and the mecha's downright silly,
                              but Chikane's still getting hugs in ep. 3, so I'm still watching.

                              > The answer to your question is yes. The power of the gothic lolita
                              > nekomimi vampire compels you. ;) Erica, you're not missing anything
                              > here at all. I'll continue to watch this, but it's no Vampire
                              Princess
                              > Miyu OVA.

                              Yeah, I wasn;t assuming as much. LOL

                              > And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                              > world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom
                              female,
                              > with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                              > though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does
                              so
                              > in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud.

                              I pretty much though the same thing. It's dumb, dumb, dumb, and I'll
                              watch it for a while because of that.

                              Lirical Nanoha has developed no personality yet, at Ep. 3, but then
                              again, CCS didn't become interesting until episode 8 or so. We'll see
                              how long I can stand the cuteness.

                              Ad I am feverishly awaiting the utter "wtf" of Nagareboshi Sentai
                              Musumet ep. 2, because it was so utterly without merit that I am
                              compelled to watch it. I think this and Grenadier have the likeliest
                              yuri fanservice potential.

                              Kannazuki still wins on yuri fanservice (and other forms, as well)
                              hands down this year. :-) I forsee much crappy fanfic for KnM.

                            • Chalcahuite
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                                On Oct 17, 2004, at 8:57 PM, atheniag wrote:

                                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                                >> On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                                >
                                >>> 1st tier:
                                >>> Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                                >>> approve.
                                >
                                > This is appealing in a creepy doll way. Serge - you'll like it, very
                                > Goth Lolita

                                Hmm. All right, I'll bite. ;)

                                >>> School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                                >>
                                >> I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                                > as I
                                >> loved Azumanga Daioh.
                                >
                                > I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                                > love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                                > IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                                > "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                                Caution noted. I'm downloading now and we'll see.

                                >>> 2nd tier:
                                >>> Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but
                                > it's
                                >>> an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how
                                > long
                                >>> can these elements sustain the show.
                                >>
                                >> My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                                >> Why? No reason. ;)
                                >
                                > I don;t think it has much of a plot, and the mecha's downright silly,
                                > but Chikane's still getting hugs in ep. 3, so I'm still watching.

                                That's really the only reason I'm watching. I want Chikane to win. ;)
                                I'll stick to the Gundam franchise when I want to watch angsty, young
                                boys piloting mecha and raging against the cruelties of fate which
                                forces them to fight.

                                >> And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                                >> world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom
                                > female,
                                >> with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                                >> though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does
                                > so
                                >> in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud.
                                >
                                > I pretty much though the same thing. It's dumb, dumb, dumb, and I'll
                                > watch it for a while because of that.

                                I figured you'd appreciate this for what it was. ;)

                                > Ad I am feverishly awaiting the utter "wtf" of Nagareboshi Sentai
                                > Musumet ep. 2, because it was so utterly without merit that I am
                                > compelled to watch it.

                                Me too.

                                > Kannazuki still wins on yuri fanservice (and other forms, as well)
                                > hands down this year. :-) I forsee much crappy fanfic for KnM.

                                Oh, goody. 'Cos we need more of that. ;)

                                -==-
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004

                                  > > > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                                  > as I
                                  > > loved Azumanga Daioh.
                                  >
                                  > I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                                  > love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                                  > IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                                  > "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                                  I just completed a School Rumble manga marathon. I retract my
                                  statement on this being like Azumanga Daioh. It's nothing like that.
                                  This series is a WEIRD mixture of self searching drama and silly
                                  comedy, and it actually does the drama part better than the comedy part.