New season overview

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2004
      Well, the new season of anime has begun. I haven't watched *every* new
      series that's come down the pike, many don't appeal for one reason or
      another, but I thought I'd give you my opinions on some that might be
      of interest.

      Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
      just fun, goofy, been there, done that.

      Kannzuki no Miko - This one has got to be considered a winner, as long
      as you aren't looking for quality. It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
      with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
      know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too little
      fanservice). So, basically, Chikane and Himeko share a birthday.
      Chikane (who is more than a little reminiscent of Hazuki from Yami to
      Boushi to Hon no Tabibito,) has a long-standing thing for Himeko and
      wants to make it mutual. Himeko's other long-time friend (male)
      Souma, also has a thing for Himeko, but our resident blonde is very
      blonde about it.

      The city is plagued by a creepy magical evil chick (who I instantly
      liked, not just 'cause she was wearing slinky dress and wearing
      glasses). So, of course, Souma turns into a rogue mecha and attacked
      Himeko. Chikane rides up on a horse (no, really) and saves Himeko.

      Here's the really good part: Wile Souma fights off the possession, and
      then uses his mecha against the evil chick, Chikane takes a moment to
      have a long....long...long, lingering look at Himeko's chest, get a
      small grope in and THEN do CPR. As Himeko comes to, Chikane gets in
      some more chest-watching, as Souma continues his battle, Chikane gets
      a kiss. Souma screams that he's going to protect Himeko, but I
      countered that he'd already lost her. Kun said that it was a good
      thing that the girls weren't supposed to be the ones fighting the evil
      mecha, or the world would have gone down while Chikane was perving.

      This one looks great - thumbs up from me.

      Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected. It's bad
      science scifi meets monster fantasy and silly all at once. I expect
      that, when I get more of the story I will drop it like a hot potato,
      but for now, cool chicks, with obligatory weapons, are fine. The
      yuriest thing about the episode was the closing credits...so, maybe,
      maybe not.

      Thumbs up because I haven't found anything as good as Digimon in a
      while.

      Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - can we say "CCS Ripoff"? I knew we
      could. Nanoha completely violates all magical girl anime by having a
      complete functional and full stocked family. Bad Nanoha. She has a
      Tomoyo of her own, who appears to come with a built-in butch
      girlfriend. The magical creature is a weasel. Nanoha is notable for
      having the most "wtf" moments so far of the season. For one thing, her
      transformation is full-frontal nude...and she's 9. Her underwear
      becomes doves and flies away. There is a completely bizarro scene
      where we see two cats fighting inexplicably in front of her house and
      the animation studio changes ABRUPTLY mid-episode. And the eyecatch
      was cavity-forming.

      Neither thumbs up or down. It looks harmless fun for the whole
      pedophile family.

      Kakyuusei 2 - this is me making gagging noises. Harem anime. Snooze.
      Thumbs down.

      Utakata - well, more magical girl (again with 2 completely alive,
      non-android or alien parents) It had a sort of yuri kinda if you
      squint moment at the end and in the closing credits. I think I'll like
      it despite myself. The animation is by the same guy as Kiddy Grade, so
      you'll get yuri hints and subtext, but that's about it. Lots of girls
      - sure to be one who fits the stereotype you like.

      Thumb flat. It's a matter of taste on this one.

      Onmyoutaisenki - Kids show, Digimon meets Heian period magic. No
      rating.

      I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
      stopped. I'm looking forward to Grenadier, too, just because of the
      Charlie's Angel's logo on the website.

      So, that's my thoughts - I'm interested in yours! Let me know what you
      thought of the new season!

    • mellowrg
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
        Based on what I've seen in Dengeki Daioh, Uta~Kata is going to be a
        magical girl anime.

        Anyway, in addition to the ones you mentioned I'm also looking
        forward to Musumet. It seems to be like Pretty Cure, except in RGB
        instead of Black and White. LOL.
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
          On Oct 3, 2004, at 9:15 PM, atheniag wrote:
          > Well, the new season of anime has begun. I haven't watched *every* new
          > series that's come down the pike, many don't appeal for one reason or
          > another, but I thought I'd give you my opinions on some that might be
          > of interest.
          >
          > Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
          > just fun, goofy, been there, done that.

          That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .

          > Kannzuki no Miko -

          Still downloading, will chime in later. Though based on your
          description, clearly the frontrunner.

          > Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected. It's bad
          > science scifi meets monster fantasy and silly all at once. I expect
          > that, when I get more of the story I will drop it like a hot potato,
          > but for now, cool chicks, with obligatory weapons, are fine. The
          > yuriest thing about the episode was the closing credits...so, maybe,
          > maybe not.

          I thought this was OK, but I'll have to watch a few more episodes to
          know for sure. This one looks like a full 26 episode series, based on
          the sheer number of characters that populate the credits. And yes, the
          end credits hint that there may actually be something viable among the
          secondary characters, as well. The last shot, from what I understand,
          is just a tease, nothing will happen there.

          > Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - can we say "CCS Ripoff"? I knew we
          > could. Nanoha completely violates all magical girl anime by having a
          > complete functional and full stocked family. Bad Nanoha. She has a
          > Tomoyo of her own, who appears to come with a built-in butch
          > girlfriend. The magical creature is a weasel.

          Interesting. BTW, we've always known that weasels are magical. They
          have a special ability to be cute when we want to kill them, saves them
          everytime. ;)

          > Nanoha is notable for
          > having the most "wtf" moments so far of the season. For one thing, her
          > transformation is full-frontal nude...and she's 9. Her underwear
          > becomes doves and flies away.

          Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
          waning . . .

          > There is a completely bizarro scene
          > where we see two cats fighting inexplicably in front of her house and
          > the animation studio changes ABRUPTLY mid-episode. And the eyecatch
          > was cavity-forming.
          >
          > Neither thumbs up or down. It looks harmless fun for the whole
          > pedophile family.

          I'll be sure to tell my creepy uncle about it, then. ;)

          > Utakata - well, more magical girl (again with 2 completely alive,
          > non-android or alien parents)

          Well, this now completely blows the magical girl/porn star comparison I
          had going. Donna and I were watching the VH1 special on Jenna Jameson
          and we wondered why is it that porn stars never come from normal,
          functional families. And I remarked they were like magical girls. But,
          I guess that comparison doesn't work anymore. Oh well.

          > It had a sort of yuri kinda if you
          > squint moment at the end and in the closing credits. I think I'll like
          > it despite myself. The animation is by the same guy as Kiddy Grade, so
          > you'll get yuri hints and subtext, but that's about it. Lots of girls
          > - sure to be one who fits the stereotype you like.

          They're all the stereotype I like. Gotta catch 'em all. ;) Might have
          to check this one out.

          > I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
          > stopped.

          I can't believe you even downloaded it.

          > I'm looking forward to Grenadier, too, just because of the
          > Charlie's Angel's logo on the website.

          I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
          Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
          about that one. Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
          it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance. The joke is that KU is
          the anime/manga that all the otaku in Genshiken obsess over. I'll
          probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's got
          vampires. Though I don't have high hopes for that, the stupidity
          potential is kinda high on this one, based on the write up in NT-USA.

          -==-
          Serge
          "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
            >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>

            >Based on what I've seen in Dengeki Daioh, Uta~Kata is going to be a
            >magical girl anime.

            It most certainly is a magical girl anime. (Didn't I mention
            that...hmmm...sorry.) It was cute, bland, with some yuri subtext, but not
            the kind of thing I personally read as real yuri, just soert of a vague hint
            that, yeah, if you squint it might be considered yuri. (The kind of thing
            the Yuri ML gets all worked up over. LOL)

            >Anyway, in addition to the ones you mentioned I'm also looking
            >forward to Musumet. It seems to be like Pretty Cure, except in RGB
            >instead of Black and White. LOL.

            Yup. I'm dl'ing that now and will watch it tonight. It also looks REALLY
            loli, which as everyone knows is not my fave, but I'll survive.

          • atua101
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004

              > Well, the new season of anime has begun. I haven't watched *every*
              new
              > series that's come down the pike, many don't appeal for one reason
              or
              > another, but I thought I'd give you my opinions on some that might
              be
              > of interest.
              >
              > Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
              > just fun, goofy, been there, done that.

              Wow, you've seen that many new series already? I've only seen
              Kannaduki & Mai-HiME, with Uta-Kata on download...

              > Kannzuki no Miko - This one has got to be considered a winner, as
              long
              > as you aren't looking for quality. It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
              > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
              > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too
              little
              > fanservice). So, basically, Chikane and Himeko share a birthday.
              > Chikane (who is more than a little reminiscent of Hazuki from Yami
              > Boushi to Hon no Tabibito,) has a long-standing thing for Himeko and
              > wants to make it mutual. Himeko's other long-time friend (male)
              > Souma, also has a thing for Himeko, but our resident blonde is very
              > blonde about it.

              I also thought this series very deliberately reminiscent of MariMite &
              YamiBou. I liked the episode overall, especially the oddly humourous
              blend of miko/mecha scenes. Unfortunately, I also think that the girls
              have DOOMED stamped on their foreheads yuri-wise; this series will
              probably wind up with a YamiBou type ending; the girls will either end
              up dead, parted, or Himeko will end up with Souma. Having said that, I
              liked this series a lot more than Mai-HiME so I'll certainly keep
              watching, and hope that my prediction's wrong...

              > Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected. It's bad
              > science scifi meets monster fantasy and silly all at once. I expect
              > that, when I get more of the story I will drop it like a hot potato,
              > but for now, cool chicks, with obligatory weapons, are fine. The
              > yuriest thing about the episode was the closing credits...so, maybe,
              > maybe not.
              >
              > Thumbs up because I haven't found anything as good as Digimon in a
              > while.

              I was a bit disappointed with this after all the pre-show hype
              surrounding this series. I didn't find any of the 4 main characters
              introduced in Ep 1 that appealing, and the show seems fairly generic
              and derivative so far despite the talent behind the series, and
              reminds me a lot of Scrye and a little of Stellvia. The only shoujo-ai
              I see so far is in the outro, but this series is shaping up to have a
              large number of secondary characters, so there may be something there.

              Cheers,

              ~atua
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2004
                On Oct 3, 2004, at 9:15 PM, atheniag wrote:

                > Kannzuki no Miko - This one has got to be considered a winner, as long
                > as you aren't looking for quality.

                I agree, though it's not quite craptacular, it's clearly best of the
                bunch so far.

                > It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
                > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
                > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too little
                > fanservice).

                Yes, because, clearly, we didn't know we missed those things. ;)

                > Here's the really good part: Wile Souma fights off the possession, and
                > then uses his mecha against the evil chick, Chikane takes a moment to
                > have a long....long...long, lingering look at Himeko's chest, get a
                > small grope in and THEN do CPR.

                Absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what if her heart is on the
                other side, it's the thought that counts.

                > As Himeko comes to, Chikane gets in
                > some more chest-watching, as Souma continues his battle, Chikane gets
                > a kiss. Souma screams that he's going to protect Himeko, but I
                > countered that he'd already lost her.

                Poor guy, the series just started and he's, literally, the odd man out.
                Well, at least he'll get to lift things, squish bugs, and beat back
                giant mech for them. ;)

                > Kun said that it was a good
                > thing that the girls weren't supposed to be the ones fighting the evil
                > mecha, or the world would have gone down while Chikane was perving.

                I would totally understand. Somethings are just more important. ;)

                > This one looks great - thumbs up from me.

                Agreed. The lily in the last shot of the ED, makes me think that this
                isn't just a tease. Though I hope they don't ruin it by taking it ol'
                skool, or something.

                -==-
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                  >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                  > > It's Gainax who clearly teamed up
                  > > with Geneon to "fix" the problems with Maria-sama ga Miteru. (You
                  > > know, not enough magic mecha appearing from the ground and too little
                  > > fanservice).
                  >
                  >Yes, because, clearly, we didn't know we missed those things. ;)

                  Speak for yourself. I was watcing the finale of ~Haru the other day and
                  thinking, "Wow, this would be SO much better if a mecha broke through the
                  floor and one of them became possessed of magic powers..." LOL

                  > > Here's the really good part: Wile Souma fights off the possession, and
                  > > then uses his mecha against the evil chick, Chikane takes a moment to
                  > > have a long....long...long, lingering look at Himeko's chest, get a
                  > > small grope in and THEN do CPR.
                  >
                  >Absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what if her heart is on the
                  >other side, it's the thought that counts.

                  Chikane was just practicing. :-)

                  > > Kun said that it was a good
                  > > thing that the girls weren't supposed to be the ones fighting the evil
                  > > mecha, or the world would have gone down while Chikane was perving.
                  >
                  >I would totally understand. Somethings are just more important. ;)

                  Damn straight. I approved of the fact that Chikane waited until after Himeko
                  was conscious again. That's a step in the right direction...

                  >Agreed. The lily in the last shot of the ED, makes me think that this
                  >isn't just a tease. Though I hope they don't ruin it by taking it ol'
                  >skool, or something.

                  Yup. I'll pretty much be happy if Chikane gets the kisses and gropes and
                  Souma gets the hard work.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004

                    > > Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
                    > > just fun, goofy, been there, done that.
                    >
                    > That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .

                    And we were right, let's face it. The end was unusual for Bee Train,
                    but the sory was pretty par.

                    > > Mai Hime - I have to say, it wasn't at ALL what I expected.

                    > I thought this was OK, but I'll have to watch a few more episodes to
                    > know for sure. This one looks like a full 26 episode series, based
                    on
                    > the sheer number of characters that populate the credits. And yes,
                    the
                    > end credits hint that there may actually be something viable among
                    the
                    > secondary characters, as well. The last shot, from what I
                    understand,
                    > is just a tease, nothing will happen there.

                    I don't think it'll be ayuri thing, but Mai Hime will probabaly
                    qualify for chick with weapons/powers and unless it begins to get very
                    odious, I'll probably watch it for a while at least.

                    > Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
                    > waning . . .

                    Interesting you should bring that up...it looks like the mangaka (or
                    perhaps character designer...I wasn't paying very close attention) for
                    Kannazuki no Miko is the same as the one for Walkure. I was scared
                    when I realized that.

                    But, as KnM is clearly not loli...yet...I have hope that I won't have
                    to kill myself. Walkure is the only series that stars Oagata Megumi I
                    have not been able to watch at all. I tried, but I simply couldn't. It
                    was simply too awful. And even though she plays the lead, she has
                    about 7 lines every episode.

                    > > Utakata - well, more magical girl (again with 2 completely alive,
                    > > non-android or alien parents)

                    See...I did say it was a magical girl anime...

                    > Well, this now completely blows the magical girl/porn star
                    comparison I
                    > had going. Donna and I were watching the VH1 special on Jenna
                    Jameson
                    > and we wondered why is it that porn stars never come from normal,
                    > functional families. And I remarked they were like magical girls.
                    But,
                    > I guess that comparison doesn't work anymore. Oh well.

                    How very *different* and "out of the box" these series all are...

                    > > I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
                    > > stopped.
                    >
                    > I can't believe you even downloaded it.

                    A momentary lapse of sanity. I actually didn't hate Kanon, and for a
                    sec, i thought, maybe, perhaps, there would be something redeeming in
                    To Heart. Then I looked at the official page and deleted it.

                    > I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
                    > Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
                    > about that one.

                    I haven't seen anything on that. I'm okay with BT doing pretty boys...
                    for various reasons. I'll keep an eye out for it.

                    Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
                    > it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance.

                    Like Love/Love and Hit wo Nerae and the other one? Hmmm...

                    > I'll
                    > probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's
                    got
                    > vampires.

                    I don't see out vampire stories, but have nothing against them,
                    either. I'll wait for your review, then see if it's worth my time. :-)

                  • Chalcahuite
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 5, 2004
                      On Oct 5, 2004, at 9:20 AM, atheniag wrote:

                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>> Right off the bat - there is nothing with real quality out there -
                      >>> just fun, goofy, been there, done that.
                      >>
                      >> That's almost similar to what we said about Madlax, IIRC . . . .
                      >
                      > And we were right, let's face it. The end was unusual for Bee Train,
                      > but the sory was pretty par.

                      Hmm, you're right. I forgot that we had it nearly all figured out early
                      on, but it took us a while on ROD TV. . . .

                      > I don't think it'll be ayuri thing, but Mai Hime will probabaly
                      > qualify for chick with weapons/powers and unless it begins to get very
                      > odious, I'll probably watch it for a while at least.

                      Well, it may not get odious but I wonder if the large cast will get in
                      the way. At least it's not shaping up to be a harem show.

                      >> Ugh, I'm having flashbacks to UFO Princess Valkyrie. . . interest
                      >> waning . . .
                      >
                      > Interesting you should bring that up...it looks like the mangaka (or
                      > perhaps character designer...I wasn't paying very close attention) for
                      > Kannazuki no Miko is the same as the one for Walkure. I was scared
                      > when I realized that.

                      Character designers are hired guns, so I wouldn't worry so much about
                      that, same mangaka on the other hand, might be more dangerous.

                      > But, as KnM is clearly not loli...yet...I have hope that I won't have
                      > to kill myself. Walkure is the only series that stars Oagata Megumi I
                      > have not been able to watch at all. I tried, but I simply couldn't. It
                      > was simply too awful. And even though she plays the lead, she has
                      > about 7 lines every episode.

                      That show cause me to reverse my pledge to always watch a show from
                      start to finish, no matter how wretched. I don't do that anymore.

                      >>> I started to watch "To Heart" and slapped myself silly, until I
                      >>> stopped.
                      >>
                      >> I can't believe you even downloaded it.
                      >
                      > A momentary lapse of sanity. I actually didn't hate Kanon, and for a
                      > sec, i thought, maybe, perhaps, there would be something redeeming in
                      > To Heart. Then I looked at the official page and deleted it.

                      I can understand that, To Heart, like Kanon, seems to have been one of
                      the more popular ren'ai game to anime crossovers that no one has
                      licensed here yet. Comic Party makes frequent references to To Heart,
                      and you could probably fill a library with the amount of doujin that's
                      out there for that show. And it makes sense, since it appears that all
                      the characters are just otaku fantasy stereotypes.

                      >> I'll be checking that out too, and also BeeTrain's next one Miene
                      >> Liebe, though the buzz is that it's a bishounen fest. So we'll see
                      >> about that one.
                      >
                      > I haven't seen anything on that. I'm okay with BT doing pretty boys...
                      > for various reasons. I'll keep an eye out for it.

                      Bishonen for bishonen's sake is not my thing, but as long it's

                      > Also Genshiken, which is about otaku and is funny, and
                      >> it's simultaneous spin-off: Kujibiki Unbalance.
                      >
                      > Like Love/Love and Hit wo Nerae and the other one? Hmmm...

                      Kinda, the manga for Genshiken doesn't really give you anything but a
                      broad sense of what Kujibiki Unbalance is about, I think it's a ren'ai
                      game made into an anime, like To Heart and wildly popular. Genshiken's
                      thing is that it's well written and for a manga about otaku there's not
                      a lot of fanservice, since there are only two girls in the main cast.
                      One is the girlfriend of one of the otaku, who is a pretty boy and she
                      despises otaku and the group he's joined and only sticks around because
                      he won't give it up. The other girl is a cosplay otaku, who shows up
                      later. Jinmen Jusshin has been scanlating this, if anyone wants to
                      check it out.

                      >> I'll
                      >> probably also check out Tsukiyomi -MOON PHASE as well, since it's
                      > got
                      >> vampires.
                      >
                      > I don't see out vampire stories, but have nothing against them,
                      > either. I'll wait for your review, then see if it's worth my time. :-)

                      As a recovered goth and LARPer, I've still got a thing for vampires. My
                      benchmark is the Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs, so I think I got a good
                      handle on that. ;) I'll let you know.
                    • annie
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 11, 2004
                        Plenty of spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.

                        Kakyuusei
                        I couldn't get through the first episode. Barf! If I care to try again, I
                        may need hard liquor to get through it -- and I'm not a drinking person by
                        any means.

                        Kannazuki no Miko (or Kannaduki no Miko, as one fansubber spelled it)
                        Right now, this is definitely the best out there (for yuri fans). The mecha
                        looked a bit out of place, but I was glad the giant bad mecha was keeping
                        Souma busy--there was something a lot more interesting going on down below.
                        Those two girls are definitely into each other, but I think we can pretty
                        much predict the ending. Anything between them is doomed, since one is the
                        "Solar Priestess" and the other the "Lunar Priestess", it's an
                        impossibility for them to *always* be together. I hope the writers come up
                        with some plot twist and turn that around somehow. <sigh> Very unlikely.
                        I'm not holding my breath. We'll just have to wait for New Moons (i.e.,
                        solar eclipses, every 29 1/2 days).
                        Download: <http://www.mirkx.com.nyud.net:8090/search.php?search=kannaduki>
                        More info:
                        <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1487,zoeauk,kannazuki_no_mi.html>

                        Soukyuu no Fafner
                        "Anata wa soko ni imasu ka?" I can't explain *why* I'm still watching
                        this. It's about angsty mecha pilots. There's what looks a lot like
                        shounenai, but no shoujoai. One of the best episodes was #6. That's all
                        I'm saying. http://a.scarywater.net/ae/ More info:
                        <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1424,onyard,sokyu_no_fafner.html>

                        Uta-kata
                        "Magical girl" anime with naked henshin? Bleh. Boring. I'm afraid I have
                        nothing good to say about it or contribute to the reviews. More info:
                        <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1547,hpfffk,uta_kata.html>

                        Mai (My) HiME
                        With that many female characters, well... I feel compelled to continue
                        watching this series. But, that's not the only reason. It really does look
                        interesting--a girl with a huge sword, another woman looking for her who
                        kicks that little ecchi guy's butt. Yeah, I'm liking it. Entertaining
                        fight scenes. And I want to find out what Mai caught when she gave mouth
                        to mouth resuscitation to that other girl. :-) More info:
                        <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1493,hafpby,mai_hime.html>

                        Teizokurei Daydream OVA
                        "I see dead people." Misaki (the S&M Queen) goes around helping the
                        departed rest in peace (or pieces). I find the ecchi parts, which are
                        supposed to be humorous, I guess, a turn off and there are some scenes that
                        are hard to stomach. Hopefully, they'll tone it down, because I want to
                        see more of that S&M Queen who can see dead people. She has got other
                        rather interesting hidden "talents". I doubt there'll be any yuri
                        here. More info:
                        <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1420,ywzumv,teizoku_rei_day.html>

                        Re Cutie Honey OVA
                        You just can't go wrong with Cutie Honey. :-D A must see. Especially,
                        episode #2. High marks all around. It's fun, funny (Scarlet's version of
                        the Cutie Honey theme song is hilarious) and as for yuri content, it won't
                        disappoint! There should be more anime like this. <g> If you haven't seen
                        this yet, then go to
                        <http://www.animeforever.org/index.php?goto=archive>. AF-F's 2nd episode
                        might have an encoding problem, so you may want to try Spork's version of
                        Re Cutie Honey Ep 02. <http://a.scarywater.net/spork/> More info:
                        <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1427,unrrsb,re_cutie_honey.html>

                        Samurai Champloo
                        For a series set in the Edo era (old Japan), they use an awful lot of
                        Anglicisms. This is just a funny and entertaining series. Cool Samurai
                        action. No yuri, no shoujoai. More info:
                        <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1391,rqmieu,samurai_champlo.html>

                        Bakuretsu Tenshi - Final Episode
                        /* Start BakuTen Spoilers */

                        I watched the final episode about two weeks ago. An empty feeling in the
                        pit of my stomach is what I felt afterwards. (And it wasn't hunger.) Do
                        the writers think we sit through 20+ episodes for the mecha, the blazing
                        guns, the skimpy outfits? Emotional connection between characters (in my
                        case, *female* characters) is what does it for me. To paraphrase Sailor
                        Neptune, "A world without Haruka is not worth saving." She's got her
                        priorities right. So, Sei and Joe save Japan (and perhaps the world) from
                        the big bad "thing", but she leaves Meg behind, because they get blown to
                        pieces. Well, I saw no body parts, so there's still a chance they survived
                        and we could see them again in a sequel. (OK, I may be dreaming. If you
                        must burst my bubble, please, be gentle. :-) Just kidding.) Joe has been
                        through much worse and made it through unscathed. That was an under
                        whelming way to go. It might not be in or hip, but gosh darn it, I still
                        like and want happy endings. Saving the world is all good, but Joe
                        could've somehow managed to get the job done and kept Sei and herself alive.

                        /* End BakuTen Spoilers */

                        OK. My reviews stink. I just wanted to vent about BakuTen.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                          On Oct 12, 2004, at 12:16 AM, annie wrote:

                          > Plenty of spoilers. Proceed at your own risk.
                          >
                          > Kakyuusei
                          > I couldn't get through the first episode. Barf! If I care to try
                          > again, I
                          > may need hard liquor to get through it -- and I'm not a drinking
                          > person by
                          > any means.

                          OK. Besides the fact it sucks, what was it about?

                          > Kannazuki no Miko (or Kannaduki no Miko, as one fansubber spelled it)

                          Kannazuki can be romanized a couple different ways it seems, just the
                          nature of the language, I'm not sure if one is more right or not, but
                          it's all good.

                          > Right now, this is definitely the best out there (for yuri fans). The
                          > mecha
                          > looked a bit out of place, but I was glad the giant bad mecha was
                          > keeping
                          > Souma busy--there was something a lot more interesting going on down
                          > below.
                          > Those two girls are definitely into each other, but I think we can
                          > pretty
                          > much predict the ending. Anything between them is doomed, since one
                          > is the
                          > "Solar Priestess" and the other the "Lunar Priestess", it's an
                          > impossibility for them to *always* be together. I hope the writers
                          > come up
                          > with some plot twist and turn that around somehow. <sigh> Very
                          > unlikely.
                          > I'm not holding my breath.

                          Probably just as well. Erica first brought this up, but I managed to
                          confirm it. Kaishaku, the mangaka of Kannazuki no Miko, is the mangaka
                          who brought us UFO Princess Valkyrie and Steel Angel Kurumi, so adjust
                          your expectations accordingly. There should definitely be some stuff
                          to keep us going, and I've heard spoilers of some ethically
                          questionable activity from Chikane in coming episodes, if the anime
                          follows the manga closely. But, we'll see.

                          > Soukyuu no Fafner
                          > "Anata wa soko ni imasu ka?" I can't explain *why* I'm still watching
                          > this. It's about angsty mecha pilots. There's what looks a lot like
                          > shounenai, but no shoujoai. One of the best episodes was #6.

                          Which was the high point of the series for me, since then it's gotten
                          uninteresting and I've stopped watching. Though I love Angela's OP and
                          ED for the series.

                          > Uta-kata
                          > "Magical girl" anime with naked henshin? Bleh. Boring. I'm afraid I
                          > have
                          > nothing good to say about it or contribute to the reviews. More info:
                          > <http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1547,hpfffk,uta_kata.html>

                          Eh, Uta-Kata's henshin is so innocuous compared to UFO Princess
                          Valkyrie, I'm not bothered by it.

                          > Mai (My) HiME
                          > With that many female characters, well... I feel compelled to continue
                          > watching this series. But, that's not the only reason. It really does
                          > look
                          > interesting--a girl with a huge sword, another woman looking for her
                          > who
                          > kicks that little ecchi guy's butt. Yeah, I'm liking it. Entertaining
                          > fight scenes. And I want to find out what Mai caught when she gave
                          > mouth
                          > to mouth resuscitation to that other girl. :-)

                          So far so good, I think. I just saw #2 this morning and it's still in
                          the introducing characters and plot phase, and with so many of them,
                          it's going to take a while.

                          > Teizokurei Daydream OVA
                          > "I see dead people." Misaki (the S&M Queen) goes around helping the
                          > departed rest in peace (or pieces). I find the ecchi parts, which are
                          > supposed to be humorous, I guess, a turn off and there are some scenes
                          > that
                          > are hard to stomach. Hopefully, they'll tone it down, because I want
                          > see more of that S&M Queen who can see dead people. She has got other
                          > rather interesting hidden "talents". I doubt there'll be any yuri
                          > here.

                          I saw this, it was, eh. Not craptacular enough to be fabulous and not
                          really all that good. I'll give OVA 2 a shot when it comes out, but
                          unless it goes one way or another, I probably won't finish it.

                          > Re Cutie Honey OVA
                          > You just can't go wrong with Cutie Honey. :-D

                          Nope. :-D

                          > A must see. Especially,
                          > episode #2. High marks all around. It's fun, funny (Scarlet's
                          > version of
                          > the Cutie Honey theme song is hilarious) and as for yuri content, it
                          > won't
                          > disappoint! There should be more anime like this. <g>

                          Agree all around.

                          > Bakuretsu Tenshi - Final Episode
                          > /* Start BakuTen Spoilers */
                          >
                          > I watched the final episode about two weeks ago. An empty feeling in
                          > the
                          > pit of my stomach is what I felt afterwards. (And it wasn't hunger.)
                          > Do
                          > the writers think we sit through 20+ episodes for the mecha, the
                          > blazing
                          > guns, the skimpy outfits? Emotional connection between characters (in
                          > my
                          > case, *female* characters) is what does it for me.

                          You might have been watching BakuTen with the wrong set of
                          expectations, honestly. I agree that the final episode is pretty weak,
                          mainly since they left so many loose ends, but BakuTen was pretty
                          standard shonen style fare. Bubblegum Crisis (and 2040) does this genre
                          much better.

                          > So, Sei and Joe save Japan (and perhaps the world) from
                          > the big bad "thing", but she leaves Meg behind, because they get blown
                          > pieces. Well, I saw no body parts, so there's still a chance they
                          > survived
                          > and we could see them again in a sequel. (OK, I may be dreaming. If you
                          > must burst my bubble, please, be gentle. :-) Just kidding.)

                          From what I hear, Gonzo announced three months ago that an OVA would
                          follow the end of the series. No details at this point, so it could be
                          about anything. And it's one of the Anime laws: If you don't see a
                          body, they aren't dead.

                          Other things I'm watching:

                          Top o Nerae 2: Gainax is apparently into their FLCL style this year,
                          this and Re:Cutie Honey look and feel very similar. So far there's no
                          indication that this show even occupies the same universe as the
                          original Top o Nerae, but it's got some yuri potential in the first
                          episode, so it can't be all bad.;) Basically, Nono wants to be a pilot,
                          so she starts at the bottom and starts work as a waitress in a
                          restaurant near a spaceport. She gets harrassed by a bunch men and is
                          saved by a cool, exotic looking young lady who's an elite pilot, or
                          "Top Race", Princess Lark, who doesn't think she's got the right stuff.
                          Then before melancholy sets in, a monster appears, and Nono displays
                          that she really does have the right stuff, in more ways than one.
                          (There is an awful, awful pun, involved with Top Race.) The yuri
                          elements appear, when Nono immediately latches on Lark and starts
                          calling her "onee-sama."

                          Elfen-Lied: Gory, sci-fi tale about the possible successor to humanity
                          and all the broken and dysfunctional people around her. Lucy, said
                          evolutionary next step, starts off with split personality, one of which
                          is violently psychotic, but as she's a main character, her violently
                          psychotic personality mellows out a lot as the series goes on. No yuri,
                          but lots of hacking off of limbs and rivers of blood, so it's a wash.
                          ;) As I mentioned dysfunctions run rampant in this show, and watching
                          these people interact with each other is compelling entertainment (in
                          the OMG WTF sense), as it all spirals downward into either pathos or
                          tragedy, not sure yet, but any happy ending it might put on would
                          probably be pyrrhic at best. This one is nearly over, Episode 12 just
                          came out on Sunday, and I think it stops at 13.

                          Still Watching:

                          Legend of Galactic Heroes: Epic, political space opera goodness. 13
                          episodes down, 150+ remaining;)

                          Otogizoushi: Nearing the end of the Heian arc, Modern arc to start up
                          next. That ought to be interesting.

                          Kurau: One of the better shows of the season, patiently waiting for
                          more episodes.

                          Shinobuden: Silly, wacky ninja confection filled with yuri goodness.;)

                          Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig : Motoko, Motoko, Motoko. Less
                          existential philosophy, more action and drama.

                          Waiting for another installment:

                          Lingerie Soldier Rose Papillon: The essence of craptacular.

                          Anybody else?

                          -==-
                          Serge
                          "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
                        • Adam Jones
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                            On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:44:00 -0400, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Anybody else?

                            Just started watching Gankutsuou, which appears to be a sci-fi retelling
                            of The Count of Monte Cristo, and is one of the most gorgeous-looking
                            pieces of TV animation I've seen in a long while... As of episode 1,
                            however, there's only been one female character (and she's hardly
                            appeared), so it's not likely to end up terribly relevant to this list.
                            I'd certainly recommend it so far, though.

                            Kannazuki no Miko looks amusing, assuming I can manage to put up with
                            the fanservice...

                            ...and speaking of fanservice, I don't think I'm likely to be following
                            Top wo Nerae 2. The CG is tacky (FLCL was way better at it, and that
                            was a few years back(!)) and since the whole first episode was an excuse
                            to draw breasts (gee, thanks, Gainax!), it doesn't seem likely to be
                            terribly deep, somehow.
                            .oO("Owie! uhm why does it say pupu anyhow?" )
                          • mellowrg
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 12, 2004
                              There's actually a lot of unusual shows this season.

                              A lot of them are based on really weird premises, so I'm actually
                              forced to watch the show further just because I really don't have any
                              idea what to expect.

                              That being said, I'm watching the following

                              1st tier:
                              Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                              approve.
                              School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                              Uta~Kata. Eye candy.
                              Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no pun
                              intended.

                              2nd tier:
                              Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but it's
                              an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how long
                              can these elements sustain the show.
                              Gundam SEED Destiny. One of these days I'm going to marathon this
                              series, but that moment is certainly not now.

                              3rd tier:
                              Tsukiyomi. What the hell was that!? Is this a goth series trying to
                              be cute, or a cute series trying to be goth? Needs further viewing...
                            • Chalcahuite
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                                On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                                > 1st tier:
                                > Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                                > approve.
                                > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.

                                I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out, as I
                                loved Azumanga Daioh.

                                > Uta~Kata. Eye candy.
                                > Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no pun
                                > intended.

                                Guaranteed not to spoil your appetite. ;)

                                > 2nd tier:
                                > Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but it's
                                > an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how long
                                > can these elements sustain the show.

                                My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                                Why? No reason. ;)

                                > Gundam SEED Destiny. One of these days I'm going to marathon this
                                > series, but that moment is certainly not now.

                                Well, if it's as long as it's predecessor, you'll need to block out a
                                weekend. And hey, female pilots, bonus. ;)

                                > 3rd tier:
                                > Tsukiyomi. What the hell was that!? Is this a goth series trying to
                                > be cute, or a cute series trying to be goth? Needs further viewing...

                                The answer to your question is yes. The power of the gothic lolita
                                nekomimi vampire compels you. ;) Erica, you're not missing anything
                                here at all. I'll continue to watch this, but it's no Vampire Princess
                                Miyu OVA.

                                Adam was right on with Gankutsuou. Definitely a visual feast, though
                                I've kinda neglected my18th century French literature and have not read
                                the Count of Monte Cristo, so I'll defer to others for comparisons.

                                And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                                world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom female,
                                with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                                though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does so
                                in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud. This
                                series scores relatively high on the craptacular meter as it will
                                probably be all about Rushuna and her big guns.;) While there was no
                                yuri in this episode, given it's feel, I can't imagine that they won't
                                throw in some shonen yuri fanservice at some point. So if you like the
                                combo of big guns and big boobs, (and really who doesn't? :-D) then
                                Grenadier is the show for you. ;)

                                -==-
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                                  > On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:

                                  > > 1st tier:
                                  > > Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                                  > > approve.

                                  This is appealing in a creepy doll way. Serge - you'll like it, very
                                  Goth Lolita

                                  > > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                                  >
                                  > I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                                  as I
                                  > loved Azumanga Daioh.

                                  I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                                  love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                                  IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                                  "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                                  > > Uta~Kata. Eye candy.

                                  I'm STILL not sure what the heck this is about, three episodes into
                                  it. ;-) I like the weird older next-door neighbor, though.

                                  > > Mai-hime: They're something about this shows that's burning... no
                                  pun
                                  > > intended.
                                  >
                                  > Guaranteed not to spoil your appetite. ;)

                                  I like this, and I have NO idea why.

                                  > > 2nd tier:
                                  > > Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but
                                  it's
                                  > > an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how
                                  long
                                  > > can these elements sustain the show.
                                  >
                                  > My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                                  > Why? No reason. ;)

                                  I don;t think it has much of a plot, and the mecha's downright silly,
                                  but Chikane's still getting hugs in ep. 3, so I'm still watching.

                                  > The answer to your question is yes. The power of the gothic lolita
                                  > nekomimi vampire compels you. ;) Erica, you're not missing anything
                                  > here at all. I'll continue to watch this, but it's no Vampire
                                  Princess
                                  > Miyu OVA.

                                  Yeah, I wasn;t assuming as much. LOL

                                  > And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                                  > world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom
                                  female,
                                  > with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                                  > though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does
                                  so
                                  > in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud.

                                  I pretty much though the same thing. It's dumb, dumb, dumb, and I'll
                                  watch it for a while because of that.

                                  Lirical Nanoha has developed no personality yet, at Ep. 3, but then
                                  again, CCS didn't become interesting until episode 8 or so. We'll see
                                  how long I can stand the cuteness.

                                  Ad I am feverishly awaiting the utter "wtf" of Nagareboshi Sentai
                                  Musumet ep. 2, because it was so utterly without merit that I am
                                  compelled to watch it. I think this and Grenadier have the likeliest
                                  yuri fanservice potential.

                                  Kannazuki still wins on yuri fanservice (and other forms, as well)
                                  hands down this year. :-) I forsee much crappy fanfic for KnM.

                                • Chalcahuite
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                                    On Oct 17, 2004, at 8:57 PM, atheniag wrote:

                                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@i...> wrote:
                                    >> On Oct 12, 2004, at 9:03 PM, mellowrg wrote:
                                    >
                                    >>> 1st tier:
                                    >>> Rozen Maiden. It has a prissy doll who smacks around its owner. I
                                    >>> approve.
                                    >
                                    > This is appealing in a creepy doll way. Serge - you'll like it, very
                                    > Goth Lolita

                                    Hmm. All right, I'll bite. ;)

                                    >>> School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                                    >>
                                    >> I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                                    > as I
                                    >> loved Azumanga Daioh.
                                    >
                                    > I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                                    > love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                                    > IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                                    > "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                                    Caution noted. I'm downloading now and we'll see.

                                    >>> 2nd tier:
                                    >>> Kannaduki no Miko. This show has the most generic cliches, but
                                    > it's
                                    >>> an amalgamation of cliches from various genres. I lets see how
                                    > long
                                    >>> can these elements sustain the show.
                                    >>
                                    >> My bet, it starts to fall apart around the second half of Episode 6.
                                    >> Why? No reason. ;)
                                    >
                                    > I don;t think it has much of a plot, and the mecha's downright silly,
                                    > but Chikane's still getting hugs in ep. 3, so I'm still watching.

                                    That's really the only reason I'm watching. I want Chikane to win. ;)
                                    I'll stick to the Gundam franchise when I want to watch angsty, young
                                    boys piloting mecha and raging against the cruelties of fate which
                                    forces them to fight.

                                    >> And then there was Grenadier. Hmm. If you took Trigun, tweaked the
                                    >> world to vaguely Meiji-ish Japanese and made Vash a VERY buxom
                                    > female,
                                    >> with the cojones that Vash was missing, and you've got Grenadier,
                                    >> though Rushuna is one up on Vash, as she actually reloads, and does
                                    > so
                                    >> in a improbably fanservice-y way that made me laugh out loud.
                                    >
                                    > I pretty much though the same thing. It's dumb, dumb, dumb, and I'll
                                    > watch it for a while because of that.

                                    I figured you'd appreciate this for what it was. ;)

                                    > Ad I am feverishly awaiting the utter "wtf" of Nagareboshi Sentai
                                    > Musumet ep. 2, because it was so utterly without merit that I am
                                    > compelled to watch it.

                                    Me too.

                                    > Kannazuki still wins on yuri fanservice (and other forms, as well)
                                    > hands down this year. :-) I forsee much crappy fanfic for KnM.

                                    Oh, goody. 'Cos we need more of that. ;)

                                    -==-
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004

                                      > > > School Rumble. The best things since Azumanga Daioh.
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm hearing this a lot, I guess I'm going to have to check it out,
                                      > as I
                                      > > loved Azumanga Daioh.
                                      >
                                      > I'll disagree with this pretty strongly. It's a sit-com of an anime -
                                      > love polygons that aren;t very funny and aren;t gonna go anywhere,
                                      > IMHO. YMMV, but I didn't even crack a smile through the first two eps.
                                      > "Wackiness ensues" just is never enough of a plot for me, i guess.

                                      I just completed a School Rumble manga marathon. I retract my
                                      statement on this being like Azumanga Daioh. It's nothing like that.
                                      This series is a WEIRD mixture of self searching drama and silly
                                      comedy, and it actually does the drama part better than the comedy part.