Re: [Yuricon] At last! The August Cobalt Shueisha Marimite one-shot translated

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2004
      On Sep 22, 2004, at 10:46 PM, atheniag wrote:
      > 2) Please let me know that you appreciate it! This translation took
      > about 18 hours to complete. It will make me feel happy to receive
      > thanks for the effort. :-)

      18 hours, huh. Hmm. Still a long ways to go for me. I've been trying to
      translate the second chapter of Strawberry Shake from Yuri Shimai 2 and
      after about 6 weeks I'm maybe halfway through.
      Oh, and I appreciate your efforts, I had gotten the gist of this story
      from a Japanese speaker on Animesuki's Marimite forum, but's it's nice
      to be able to get the whole thing.

      > Now, onto translator's notes:
      >
      > 1) In no way do I claim this as a definitive, accurate, or even good
      > translation. There were chunks that were nigh on impenetrable, so I
      > have done my best with my minimal abilities.

      I understand. Which is why my appreciation and admiration for people
      who are able to translate quickly and coherently has risen
      significantly. A lot of times I get what is being said, but then run
      into a wall of trying to make sense of it in English. Anybody can tell
      you Japanese ain't easy, but I think it takes learning it to understand
      the depth of that statement.

      > 2) The point of view changes *constantly* in this story. One second
      > you are seeing from one person's POV, the next someone else's. Read
      > slowly and carefully and you *ought* to be able to follow it. O_o I
      > didn't want to put editorial comments in like <The POV has switched to
      > Sa-ko-sama here> because that seems intrusive to me.

      I didn't have this problem, maybe because I had warning, but I was able
      to follow the switches without wondering who was really talking.

      > 3) There are innumerable kanji character-related conversations. I have
      > added footnotes to assist you in figuring out what is going on. The
      > numbers for the notes are in the text and the notes follow the story.
      > Some of them were pretty hard to explain simply.

      I always find these things fascinating, especially if they're
      accompanied by good notes explaining why it's funny or important or
      stupid as the case may be.

      Again, thanks.
      -==-
      Serge
      "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"