Re: [Yuricon][OT] Monster (was: I'm feeling deprived - help!)

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
      (Marked [OT], since the show is entirely yuri-less (although Nina/Anna
      is rather gorgeous... ;) )

      On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:33:07 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
      <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
      >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

      > > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
      > > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen.

      > >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
      > >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this
      > >show.(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes
      > >engaging characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

      > I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I
      > just don't find them terribly interesting.

      I was rather different there, then. In fact, one of the things I like
      about it is the way that it takes so much care over even the incidental
      characters. Everyone has a story to tell.

      > The series feels like a suspense novel, which means that I pretty much
      > already know what's going to happen, but, like most suspense novels,
      > they'll drag it out as long as possible.

      It is long, yes, but to my mind it never really feels particularly
      padded - there's a lot of detail in the manga, and they're clearly being
      very faithful to it. (That said, the manga might well be a better
      investment time-wise, since it's much easier to finish it at your own
      pace.)

      > Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
      > everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too
      > long to do anything.

      Lunge's fun (in a creepy sort of way). He does get rather a lot of
      development later on, but the story certainly doesn't rush to get there.

      For once (and it's a rarity for me), I'm finding myself just sitting
      back and enjoying the ride. :)
      .oO("Big Gay Leo's Big Gay Boatride" )