Re: [Yuricon] I'm feeling deprived - help! WARNING: SPOILERS

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
      >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

      > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
      > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it
      > > another episode or two and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.
      >
      >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
      >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this show.
      >(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes engaging
      >characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

      I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I just
      don't find them terribly interesting. The series feels like a suspense
      novel, which means that I pretty much already know what's going to happen,
      but, like most suspense novels, they'll drag it out as long as possible.
      It's never been my favorite format...and monomanias always strike me as
      forced.

      Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
      everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too long
      to do anything.

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
        (Marked [OT], since the show is entirely yuri-less (although Nina/Anna
        is rather gorgeous... ;) )

        On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:33:07 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
        <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
        >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

        > > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
        > > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen.

        > >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
        > >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this
        > >show.(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes
        > >engaging characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

        > I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I
        > just don't find them terribly interesting.

        I was rather different there, then. In fact, one of the things I like
        about it is the way that it takes so much care over even the incidental
        characters. Everyone has a story to tell.

        > The series feels like a suspense novel, which means that I pretty much
        > already know what's going to happen, but, like most suspense novels,
        > they'll drag it out as long as possible.

        It is long, yes, but to my mind it never really feels particularly
        padded - there's a lot of detail in the manga, and they're clearly being
        very faithful to it. (That said, the manga might well be a better
        investment time-wise, since it's much easier to finish it at your own
        pace.)

        > Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
        > everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too
        > long to do anything.

        Lunge's fun (in a creepy sort of way). He does get rather a lot of
        development later on, but the story certainly doesn't rush to get there.

        For once (and it's a rarity for me), I'm finding myself just sitting
        back and enjoying the ride. :)
        .oO("Big Gay Leo's Big Gay Boatride" )