RE: [Yuricon] Re: I'm feeling deprived - help! WARNING: SPOILERS

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
      >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

      > > Shimako looking over at the college students and wanting nothing
      >more
      > > to go run and find Sei.
      > >

      >You know... if she really misses Sei that much would it really hurt
      >to give her call? It's not like anyone will scorn her for doing so.
      >Then again, Shimako has always been too hard on herself.

      I was thinking abouit this as i watched the scene.

      Yes, simply, Shimako is being hard on herself. Think about what Sei told
      Yumi, more than once - Shimako is the kind of person, if you asked her to do
      something, she wouldn't do it, but if she wants to do something, she will,
      even if you ask her not to. :-)

      To my eyes, Shimako has burdened herself with the "I am Rosa Gigantea, I
      should not need help anymore" line, and is slapping herself silly with it.
      It doesn't help that Rei and Sachiko are now third-years and forget what it
      was like to be a second-year.

      Shimako also has the problem of already knowing what Sei would say if she
      went to her for help. She'd say, "You have to be responsible for your
      actions." Of course, Sei would understand if Shimako needed to be held a
      little...but Shimako doesn't want to seem weak, because after all, she is
      Rosa Gigantea...and on and on...

      So, I adore Noriko for seeing right therough all this, seeing the bigger
      opicturwe about the political and emotional ramifications of choosing her as
      souer, and basically wanting to take care of Shimako anyway. :-)

      Forthright women. Yay.

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
        On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:53:04 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
        <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*

        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*
        > >*

        > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
        > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it
        > another episode or two and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.

        I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
        then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this show.
        (We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes engaging
        characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...
        .oO("The Intenret isn't working" )
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
          >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

          > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
          > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it
          > > another episode or two and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.
          >
          >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
          >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this show.
          >(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes engaging
          >characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

          I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I just
          don't find them terribly interesting. The series feels like a suspense
          novel, which means that I pretty much already know what's going to happen,
          but, like most suspense novels, they'll drag it out as long as possible.
          It's never been my favorite format...and monomanias always strike me as
          forced.

          Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
          everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too long
          to do anything.

        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
            (Marked [OT], since the show is entirely yuri-less (although Nina/Anna
            is rather gorgeous... ;) )

            On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:33:07 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
            <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
            >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

            > > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
            > > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen.

            > >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
            > >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this
            > >show.(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes
            > >engaging characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

            > I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I
            > just don't find them terribly interesting.

            I was rather different there, then. In fact, one of the things I like
            about it is the way that it takes so much care over even the incidental
            characters. Everyone has a story to tell.

            > The series feels like a suspense novel, which means that I pretty much
            > already know what's going to happen, but, like most suspense novels,
            > they'll drag it out as long as possible.

            It is long, yes, but to my mind it never really feels particularly
            padded - there's a lot of detail in the manga, and they're clearly being
            very faithful to it. (That said, the manga might well be a better
            investment time-wise, since it's much easier to finish it at your own
            pace.)

            > Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
            > everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too
            > long to do anything.

            Lunge's fun (in a creepy sort of way). He does get rather a lot of
            development later on, but the story certainly doesn't rush to get there.

            For once (and it's a rarity for me), I'm finding myself just sitting
            back and enjoying the ride. :)
            .oO("Big Gay Leo's Big Gay Boatride" )