RE: [Yuricon] Re: I'm feeling deprived - help!

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
      >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>

      >In a gist it's episode 6 of Haru all over again, but there are
      >several key differences.

      I am restored...my DSL functions once again. I watched 9 last night. :-)

      >It shows a different side of Noriko, Emphasizing on how un-Lilian she
      >is.

      I liked the fact that she really fits in not at all. Noriko's a great
      character and one that we desperately needed - someone who openly questions
      the traditions and simply refuses to bow to them.

      >It also shows that Shimako isn't too enthralled about the council,
      >but she's holding on because she NEEDS the company. Noriko notices
      >this as well ( she actually spells out their names on the ground
      >LOL ) and decides to ease Shimako's burden by "borrowing" her Rosary.

      Yes, I loved that she said she was borrowing it. But my favorite thing in
      the whole episode had to be Tsutako's line, "You're definitely Satou Sei's
      imouto." At least in part because i had said it about one second before she
      did. :-)

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
        >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

        >Well, it has been a little slow, I imagine it's the going back to
        >school lull that's probably affecting most groups. And Madlax had a
        >week off, only to air a special double episode yesterday, so we'll get
        >a double shot of that this week. ;)

        I've got that downloading at home now, so hopefully will be able to watrch
        tonight. I worry about the quality of the translation though, since the
        turnaround was *so* fast.

        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*

        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >*
        >Marimite 9: It's another Noriko/Shimako episode. Basically, after much
        >trial, tribulation, angst and tears, mostly Shimako's, Noriko becomes
        >Rosa Gigantea en bouton. I didn't get all of the dialogue the first
        >time through; after reading the synopsis on the Yuri ML that showed up;
        >I think I might be getting marginally better, though. The big shoujo-ai
        >stick comes out again this episode, but strangely enough Shimako's
        >spontaneous sakura petals are missing.

        In alot ofways, it was more satisfactory, I thought, because it was just two
        girls, no dramatic setting. Noriko's obvious concern for Shimako is
        touching, in alot of ways it reverses the roles they have - Shimako should
        be the one (and don't think she doesn't know it) to be offering emotional
        support. But clearly Noriko's got enough self-esteem and strength for the
        two of them.

        >PGSM 46 raw:

        I am *so* behind on this. The First lady and i like to sit and watch these
        together and we just haven't had time. The last I saw was 44 raw.

        >2x2 Shinobuden 5.
        >"This is Kaede, she's more than a friend, but less than a koibito."

        I saw that one. The line cracked me up. And Kaede didn't even blink -
        maybe's she's deaf in that ear. ;-)

        >Otogizoushi 7

        Got that one dl'ing. I like the art, and the story, but I'm less interested
        in the characters than I'd like to be.

        >Kurau 8:
        >Kurau and Christmas are still working and living in that family run
        >restaurant from last episode,

        Ohmigod, was Ep. 7 so utterly dreadful or what? Unconvincing fluff. If I
        were Kurau, I would have run away *looking* for trouble, just to get my
        frustrations out.

        I'll try and get to 8 and 9 asap.

        >Tenjou Tenge 16: They break away from recanting the past arc and get us
        >back involved in the present. Bob, Nagi, and Masataka have a newfound
        >respect for Aya, and a renewed sense of purpose. Nagi's Mom makes her
        >first appearance, and she's seen better days. Aya gets expelled, Nagi
        >and Bob storm the Enforcement group's room and Maya "borrows" Shin's
        >sword, much to Aya's hysteria. I have to say the animation for this
        >show doesn't do the manga justice at all.

        I've been watching it raw, since the talk is silly and the fights don't need
        translation. I can only hope that the manga is better. :)

        >Anyone else?

        Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but don't yet
        feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it another episode or two
        and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.

        On Alan's suggestion I started watching Melody of Oblivion - *clearly* where
        all the people who had worked on Utena, (especially the movie) ended up.
        Art, music, surrealism, mythos, all scream Utena. The main characters are a
        bit blank for my taste, but the surrounding situation is wonderful. I keep
        watching not to see what will happen, but how it will look. Of course, the
        most recent bit was all the Greek mythology stick beating us over the head,
        so I liked that. And Hisakawa Aya made an appearance as a sexy, yet
        pathetic, baddie, in the arc previous to this one. :-) She's one busy lady
        these days.

        Got the next episode of Re Cutey honey. Horpefully there will be more yuri
        service. It's totally got the potential to have tons. I live in hope. :-)

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
          >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

          > > On 31 Aug 2004 at 14:59, Chalcahuite wrote:
          > >>
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *

          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *
          > >> *

          >I agree with all of these. ;) I will add Touko wondering aloud what
          >Noriko has been doing after school if she's not in any clubs and both
          >Noriko and Shimako looking a bit guilty. At least that's how it looks
          >with the goggles on. ;)

          This was an intersting scene, because Touko's eyebrows were way less evil
          than usual. She actually seems to *care* what Noriko's doing, rather than
          just being nosy. At one point she looked downright concerned.

          It was a nice view of the other side of Touko.

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
            >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

            > > Shimako looking over at the college students and wanting nothing
            >more
            > > to go run and find Sei.
            > >

            >You know... if she really misses Sei that much would it really hurt
            >to give her call? It's not like anyone will scorn her for doing so.
            >Then again, Shimako has always been too hard on herself.

            I was thinking abouit this as i watched the scene.

            Yes, simply, Shimako is being hard on herself. Think about what Sei told
            Yumi, more than once - Shimako is the kind of person, if you asked her to do
            something, she wouldn't do it, but if she wants to do something, she will,
            even if you ask her not to. :-)

            To my eyes, Shimako has burdened herself with the "I am Rosa Gigantea, I
            should not need help anymore" line, and is slapping herself silly with it.
            It doesn't help that Rei and Sachiko are now third-years and forget what it
            was like to be a second-year.

            Shimako also has the problem of already knowing what Sei would say if she
            went to her for help. She'd say, "You have to be responsible for your
            actions." Of course, Sei would understand if Shimako needed to be held a
            little...but Shimako doesn't want to seem weak, because after all, she is
            Rosa Gigantea...and on and on...

            So, I adore Noriko for seeing right therough all this, seeing the bigger
            opicturwe about the political and emotional ramifications of choosing her as
            souer, and basically wanting to take care of Shimako anyway. :-)

            Forthright women. Yay.

          • Adam Jones
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
              On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:53:04 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
              <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*

              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*
              > >*

              > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
              > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it
              > another episode or two and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.

              I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
              then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this show.
              (We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes engaging
              characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...
              .oO("The Intenret isn't working" )
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
                > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it
                > > another episode or two and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.
                >
                >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
                >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this show.
                >(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes engaging
                >characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

                I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I just
                don't find them terribly interesting. The series feels like a suspense
                novel, which means that I pretty much already know what's going to happen,
                but, like most suspense novels, they'll drag it out as long as possible.
                It's never been my favorite format...and monomanias always strike me as
                forced.

                Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
                everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too long
                to do anything.

              • Adam Jones
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                  (Marked [OT], since the show is entirely yuri-less (although Nina/Anna
                  is rather gorgeous... ;) )

                  On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:33:07 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
                  <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                  >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                  > > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
                  > > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen.

                  > >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
                  > >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this
                  > >show.(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes
                  > >engaging characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

                  > I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I
                  > just don't find them terribly interesting.

                  I was rather different there, then. In fact, one of the things I like
                  about it is the way that it takes so much care over even the incidental
                  characters. Everyone has a story to tell.

                  > The series feels like a suspense novel, which means that I pretty much
                  > already know what's going to happen, but, like most suspense novels,
                  > they'll drag it out as long as possible.

                  It is long, yes, but to my mind it never really feels particularly
                  padded - there's a lot of detail in the manga, and they're clearly being
                  very faithful to it. (That said, the manga might well be a better
                  investment time-wise, since it's much easier to finish it at your own
                  pace.)

                  > Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
                  > everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too
                  > long to do anything.

                  Lunge's fun (in a creepy sort of way). He does get rather a lot of
                  development later on, but the story certainly doesn't rush to get there.

                  For once (and it's a rarity for me), I'm finding myself just sitting
                  back and enjoying the ride. :)
                  .oO("Big Gay Leo's Big Gay Boatride" )