I'm feeling deprived - help!

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2004
      Hey all - my DSL is down this week, and I have been unable to download
      *any* new eps.

      So - what's going on, was Marimite 9 good? How about madlax? Help me
      out here, guys....I know some of you are watching, then going to the
      Yuri ML and posting...what about this group? We wanna know too!

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 31, 2004
        On 31-Aug-2004 02:05 -0000, atheniag wrote:

        > Hey all - my DSL is down this week, and I have been unable to download
        > *any* new eps.

        My DSL's been working fine, and *I* haven't been able to download any
        new eps, because there haven't been any! Monster, Marimite, PGSM and
        Madlax have all drawn blanks for the past week or so, sadly. (I don't
        speak any Japanese beyond the few words everyone picks up from anime, so
        raws aren't much use to me...)

        Rest assured, if something turns up, I'll fill you in with ludicrous
        speculation and slashery. :)

        (Speaking of which, the early episodes of Madlax make so much more sense
        after watching the later ones. Oh, and Vanessa and Eleanor are still
        oh-so-slashable...)
        .oO("Fish in a barrell, and all that." )
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31, 2004
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Jones" <adam@y...> wrote:

          > On 31-Aug-2004 02:05 -0000, atheniag wrote:

          > (Speaking of which, the early episodes of Madlax make so much more
          sense
          > after watching the later ones. Oh, and Vanessa and Eleanor are
          still
          > oh-so-slashable...)

          Agreed, on both counts. I can see some serious temptation to write an
          Eleanor/Vanessa story sometime in the future...depnding on how they
          end the series, of course.

        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 31, 2004
            On Aug 31, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Adam Jones wrote:

            > On 31-Aug-2004 02:05 -0000, atheniag wrote:
            >
            >> Hey all - my DSL is down this week, and I have been unable to download
            >> *any* new eps.
            >
            > My DSL's been working fine, and *I* haven't been able to download any
            > new eps, because there haven't been any! Monster, Marimite, PGSM and
            > Madlax have all drawn blanks for the past week or so, sadly. (I don't
            > speak any Japanese beyond the few words everyone picks up from anime,
            > so
            > raws aren't much use to me...)

            Well, it has been a little slow, I imagine it's the going back to
            school lull that's probably affecting most groups. And Madlax had a
            week off, only to air a special double episode yesterday, so we'll get
            a double shot of that this week. ;)

            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *

            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            *
            Marimite 9: It's another Noriko/Shimako episode. Basically, after much
            trial, tribulation, angst and tears, mostly Shimako's, Noriko becomes
            Rosa Gigantea en bouton. I didn't get all of the dialogue the first
            time through; after reading the synopsis on the Yuri ML that showed up;
            I think I might be getting marginally better, though. The big shoujo-ai
            stick comes out again this episode, but strangely enough Shimako's
            spontaneous sakura petals are missing. Next week looks like the start
            of Yoshino joining the kendo club arc (Is that Rainy Blue or Parasol?)

            PGSM 46 raw: (note any inference drawn here could very well be dead
            wrong.) Well, first things first. Makoto is feeling much better, thank
            you very much, though that bandage around her head is not very
            attractive. Apparently, the ground zero shot only succeeded in hurting
            both of them enough to need to recover, and Spiky Youma goes off to
            convalesce for a bit before going after energy again. Usagi senses
            somethings up, and goes to ground zero only to find blast marks and a
            beat up Luna. Usagi looks pensive as shes tending a bandaged plushy
            Luna, and its apparent her burden is getting heavier each day. Mio of
            the large proboscis brings Rei to see Mamoru, and watches bemusedly as
            they argue with each other. (I think the gist of the conversation was
            something like: Rei: You're a bastard, can't you see how you're hurting
            Usagi. Mamoru: Idiot can't you see I'm doing this because I'm trying to
            save her.)
            Jadeite shows up, sees Rei, wonders how she got there for a sec and
            then tries to attack her. Mamoru powers up and defends Rei and Rei
            realizes something at that moment, (probably the true relevance of the
            past to the present) during a quick break in the action Mamoru whisks
            Rei away and then seizes up and grimaces like he's passing a bowling
            ball and a badly rendered version of him appears in the painting of the
            wall. Jadeite contemplates this and starts to wonder. Mio just looks
            pleased.
            Meanwhile Minako seems to be regretting her hardline attititude after
            not being able to transform and just watching as Makoto nearly blew
            herself up. Makoto wakes up in Minako's care. They talk and I think
            they both realize that there might be more to this life than rehashing
            the old one. Spiky Youma gets a fresh infusion from Metallia and
            starts collecting more life energy. This spurs the girls to action,
            first wave Ami and Rei, who don't fare so well. Makoto is on her way,
            but stop when she notices Motoki lying crumpled in the street, a victim
            of Spiky Youma. In his extremely weakened state, Motoki gives Makoto
            the little green turtle trinket and Makoto realizes what she's really
            fighting for. Makoto shows up as Ami and Rei are getting really kicked
            around and proceeds to join them. Suddenly Usagi appears, (literally)
            and the four of them still can't beat this youma. Finally Minako shows
            up, in civvies, and Makoto warns away explaining that she can't
            transform, and Rei looks very, very concerned. But Minako starts
            glowing and transforms into her awakened self finally. She attacks the
            youma, divesting it of the extra Metallia energy and the five them
            combine attacks to finally get rid of the Spiky youma. And all the
            comatose people around the city finally wake up, after Usagi plays her
            harp in Sailor Princess mode. Overall, it was a very busy episode, a
            lot of jump scenes, without transitions, but, it wasn't horrible, just
            noticeable. The big thing in this episode was Rei and Minako
            understanding each other's positions a little better and coming to a
            middle ground of sorts. Makoto realizing that she doesn't have to be
            alone if she doesn't want to be. Jadeite's inner conflict continues,
            Usagi's getting more and more weary, and Mamoru is hanging on by a
            thread at this point. Nephrite is missing this episode and Ami is kinda
            just there. I probably missed some things and I forget what the
            previews were for, but this covers most of it.

            2x2 Shinobuden 5.
            "This is Kaede, she's more than a friend, but less than a koibito."

            Otogizoushi 7
            Raikou and her crew wash ashore separately. Raikou runs afoul of some
            of Shouten douji's warriors and Mansairaku appears to save her from a
            fate worse than death. They spend the evening discussing what's been
            going on and what should be done and building up the mutual attraction
            between them. Urabe and Tsuna wash ashore together, but Tsuna is
            running a bit of a fever. Their relationship thaws quite a bit, as she
            nurses him back to health, and they get really awkward when they keep
            accidentally touching each other. Sadamitsu picks up a feral kid,
            who's incredibly strong, (kai doh maru?) but I forget what name he
            gives here. They all meet up again in time to fend off a bunch of
            Shuten douji's goons and head further into his territory. Next episode
            the group will probably figure out what's going on here and have to
            deal with it.

            Kurau 8:
            Kurau and Christmas are still working and living in that family run
            restaurant from last episode, and both are still wearing the those Anna
            Miller-esque outfits. Christmas looks horribly cute in it, and Kurau
            just looks horrible in it. Christmas makes a mistake and confuses one
            guys order of water with another guy's vodka. The result, dude who
            wanted water is now blitzed out of his gourd and no good. Which is
            problem since he's the bot driver for a team and they have a meet that
            day. So guess who has to fill in? That's right Kurau, and she acquits
            herself well, until she gets a bit carried away and rips the cockpit
            off the her opponents bot, which immediately disqualifies her.
            Meanwhile, Ayaka states that she hates Christmas, the season, rather
            than our little Kurau-ling. And we see why, apparently her entire
            family was brutally murdered on Christmas, and she's been dour ever
            since. The GPO show up in the city where Kurau and Christmas are and
            just like that, they are out of there, leaving behind Dag, who was
            going to tell them the news.

            Tenjou Tenge 16: They break away from recanting the past arc and get us
            back involved in the present. Bob, Nagi, and Masataka have a newfound
            respect for Aya, and a renewed sense of purpose. Nagi's Mom makes her
            first appearance, and she's seen better days. Aya gets expelled, Nagi
            and Bob storm the Enforcement group's room and Maya "borrows" Shin's
            sword, much to Aya's hysteria. I have to say the animation for this
            show doesn't do the manga justice at all.

            I'm not sure what else you're watching, but this is the other stuff
            I've seen Elfen Lied, (gloriously twisted and gory so far. :-D), DearS
            (not horrible, not great) Soukyuu no Fafner (Gundam Seed meets
            RahXephon) and Uninhabited Planet Survive. The new raw for Bakuten came
            out over the weekend, but I haven't downloaded it yet. And that's it
            to date.

            Anyone else?

            -==-
            Serge
            "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
          • sean@centragarden.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 31, 2004
              On 31 Aug 2004 at 14:59, Chalcahuite wrote:

              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *

              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > Marimite 9: It's another Noriko/Shimako episode. Basically, after much
              > trial, tribulation, angst and tears, mostly Shimako's, Noriko becomes
              > Rosa Gigantea en bouton. I didn't get all of the dialogue the first
              > time through; after reading the synopsis on the Yuri ML that showed up;
              > I think I might be getting marginally better, though. The big shoujo-ai
              > stick comes out again this episode, but strangely enough Shimako's
              > spontaneous sakura petals are missing. Next week looks like the start
              > of Yoshino joining the kendo club arc (Is that Rainy Blue or Parasol?)

              I believe it's woven into Rainy Blue alongside the main Yumi arc, but they're
              separating it for its own focus for the anime. Good idea, IMO.

              Favorite parts of 9:

              Rei spitting. Nuff said.

              Noriko and Sachiko's argument, totally IC for both of them.

              Shimako looking over at the college students and wanting nothing more
              to go run and find Sei.

              The entire final scene.

              --SG
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 31, 2004
                On Aug 31, 2004, at 5:54 PM, sean@... wrote:

                > On 31 Aug 2004 at 14:59, Chalcahuite wrote:
                >>
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *

                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> *
                >> Marimite 9: It's another Noriko/Shimako episode. Basically, after much
                >> trial, tribulation, angst and tears, mostly Shimako's, Noriko becomes
                >> Rosa Gigantea en bouton. I didn't get all of the dialogue the first
                >> time through; after reading the synopsis on the Yuri ML that showed
                >> up;
                >> I think I might be getting marginally better, though. The big
                >> shoujo-ai
                >> stick comes out again this episode, but strangely enough Shimako's
                >> spontaneous sakura petals are missing. Next week looks like the start
                >> of Yoshino joining the kendo club arc (Is that Rainy Blue or Parasol?)
                >
                > I believe it's woven into Rainy Blue alongside the main Yumi arc, but
                > they're
                > separating it for its own focus for the anime. Good idea, IMO.

                Oh, OK.

                > Favorite parts of 9:
                >
                > Rei spitting. Nuff said.
                >
                > Noriko and Sachiko's argument, totally IC for both of them.
                >
                > Shimako looking over at the college students and wanting nothing more
                > to go run and find Sei.
                >
                > The entire final scene.

                I agree with all of these. ;) I will add Touko wondering aloud what
                Noriko has been doing after school if she's not in any clubs and both
                Noriko and Shimako looking a bit guilty. At least that's how it looks
                with the goggles on. ;)

                -==-
                Serge
                "Everybody's feeling fine, because it's party time!"
              • mellowrg
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 31, 2004

                  > Shimako looking over at the college students and wanting nothing
                  more
                  > to go run and find Sei.

                  You know... if she really misses Sei that much would it really hurt
                  to give her call? It's not like anyone will scorn her for doing so.
                  Then again, Shimako has always been too hard on herself.
                • mellowrg
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
                    > Hey all - my DSL is down this week, and I have been unable to
                    download
                    > *any* new eps.
                    >
                    > So - what's going on, was Marimite 9 good?

                    In a gist it's episode 6 of Haru all over again, but there are
                    several key differences.

                    It shows a different side of Noriko, Emphasizing on how un-Lilian she
                    is.

                    It also shows that Shimako isn't too enthralled about the council,
                    but she's holding on because she NEEDS the company. Noriko notices
                    this as well ( she actually spells out their names on the ground
                    LOL ) and decides to ease Shimako's burden by "borrowing" her Rosary.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                      >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>

                      >In a gist it's episode 6 of Haru all over again, but there are
                      >several key differences.

                      I am restored...my DSL functions once again. I watched 9 last night. :-)

                      >It shows a different side of Noriko, Emphasizing on how un-Lilian she
                      >is.

                      I liked the fact that she really fits in not at all. Noriko's a great
                      character and one that we desperately needed - someone who openly questions
                      the traditions and simply refuses to bow to them.

                      >It also shows that Shimako isn't too enthralled about the council,
                      >but she's holding on because she NEEDS the company. Noriko notices
                      >this as well ( she actually spells out their names on the ground
                      >LOL ) and decides to ease Shimako's burden by "borrowing" her Rosary.

                      Yes, I loved that she said she was borrowing it. But my favorite thing in
                      the whole episode had to be Tsutako's line, "You're definitely Satou Sei's
                      imouto." At least in part because i had said it about one second before she
                      did. :-)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                        >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                        >Well, it has been a little slow, I imagine it's the going back to
                        >school lull that's probably affecting most groups. And Madlax had a
                        >week off, only to air a special double episode yesterday, so we'll get
                        >a double shot of that this week. ;)

                        I've got that downloading at home now, so hopefully will be able to watrch
                        tonight. I worry about the quality of the translation though, since the
                        turnaround was *so* fast.

                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*

                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >*
                        >Marimite 9: It's another Noriko/Shimako episode. Basically, after much
                        >trial, tribulation, angst and tears, mostly Shimako's, Noriko becomes
                        >Rosa Gigantea en bouton. I didn't get all of the dialogue the first
                        >time through; after reading the synopsis on the Yuri ML that showed up;
                        >I think I might be getting marginally better, though. The big shoujo-ai
                        >stick comes out again this episode, but strangely enough Shimako's
                        >spontaneous sakura petals are missing.

                        In alot ofways, it was more satisfactory, I thought, because it was just two
                        girls, no dramatic setting. Noriko's obvious concern for Shimako is
                        touching, in alot of ways it reverses the roles they have - Shimako should
                        be the one (and don't think she doesn't know it) to be offering emotional
                        support. But clearly Noriko's got enough self-esteem and strength for the
                        two of them.

                        >PGSM 46 raw:

                        I am *so* behind on this. The First lady and i like to sit and watch these
                        together and we just haven't had time. The last I saw was 44 raw.

                        >2x2 Shinobuden 5.
                        >"This is Kaede, she's more than a friend, but less than a koibito."

                        I saw that one. The line cracked me up. And Kaede didn't even blink -
                        maybe's she's deaf in that ear. ;-)

                        >Otogizoushi 7

                        Got that one dl'ing. I like the art, and the story, but I'm less interested
                        in the characters than I'd like to be.

                        >Kurau 8:
                        >Kurau and Christmas are still working and living in that family run
                        >restaurant from last episode,

                        Ohmigod, was Ep. 7 so utterly dreadful or what? Unconvincing fluff. If I
                        were Kurau, I would have run away *looking* for trouble, just to get my
                        frustrations out.

                        I'll try and get to 8 and 9 asap.

                        >Tenjou Tenge 16: They break away from recanting the past arc and get us
                        >back involved in the present. Bob, Nagi, and Masataka have a newfound
                        >respect for Aya, and a renewed sense of purpose. Nagi's Mom makes her
                        >first appearance, and she's seen better days. Aya gets expelled, Nagi
                        >and Bob storm the Enforcement group's room and Maya "borrows" Shin's
                        >sword, much to Aya's hysteria. I have to say the animation for this
                        >show doesn't do the manga justice at all.

                        I've been watching it raw, since the talk is silly and the fights don't need
                        translation. I can only hope that the manga is better. :)

                        >Anyone else?

                        Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but don't yet
                        feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it another episode or two
                        and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.

                        On Alan's suggestion I started watching Melody of Oblivion - *clearly* where
                        all the people who had worked on Utena, (especially the movie) ended up.
                        Art, music, surrealism, mythos, all scream Utena. The main characters are a
                        bit blank for my taste, but the surrounding situation is wonderful. I keep
                        watching not to see what will happen, but how it will look. Of course, the
                        most recent bit was all the Greek mythology stick beating us over the head,
                        so I liked that. And Hisakawa Aya made an appearance as a sexy, yet
                        pathetic, baddie, in the arc previous to this one. :-) She's one busy lady
                        these days.

                        Got the next episode of Re Cutey honey. Horpefully there will be more yuri
                        service. It's totally got the potential to have tons. I live in hope. :-)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                          >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                          > > On 31 Aug 2004 at 14:59, Chalcahuite wrote:
                          > >>
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *

                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *
                          > >> *

                          >I agree with all of these. ;) I will add Touko wondering aloud what
                          >Noriko has been doing after school if she's not in any clubs and both
                          >Noriko and Shimako looking a bit guilty. At least that's how it looks
                          >with the goggles on. ;)

                          This was an intersting scene, because Touko's eyebrows were way less evil
                          than usual. She actually seems to *care* what Noriko's doing, rather than
                          just being nosy. At one point she looked downright concerned.

                          It was a nice view of the other side of Touko.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                            >From: "mellowrg" <mellowrg@...>
                            >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

                            > > Shimako looking over at the college students and wanting nothing
                            >more
                            > > to go run and find Sei.
                            > >

                            >You know... if she really misses Sei that much would it really hurt
                            >to give her call? It's not like anyone will scorn her for doing so.
                            >Then again, Shimako has always been too hard on herself.

                            I was thinking abouit this as i watched the scene.

                            Yes, simply, Shimako is being hard on herself. Think about what Sei told
                            Yumi, more than once - Shimako is the kind of person, if you asked her to do
                            something, she wouldn't do it, but if she wants to do something, she will,
                            even if you ask her not to. :-)

                            To my eyes, Shimako has burdened herself with the "I am Rosa Gigantea, I
                            should not need help anymore" line, and is slapping herself silly with it.
                            It doesn't help that Rei and Sachiko are now third-years and forget what it
                            was like to be a second-year.

                            Shimako also has the problem of already knowing what Sei would say if she
                            went to her for help. She'd say, "You have to be responsible for your
                            actions." Of course, Sei would understand if Shimako needed to be held a
                            little...but Shimako doesn't want to seem weak, because after all, she is
                            Rosa Gigantea...and on and on...

                            So, I adore Noriko for seeing right therough all this, seeing the bigger
                            opicturwe about the political and emotional ramifications of choosing her as
                            souer, and basically wanting to take care of Shimako anyway. :-)

                            Forthright women. Yay.

                          • Adam Jones
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                              On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:53:04 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
                              <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*

                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*
                              > >*

                              > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
                              > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it
                              > another episode or two and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.

                              I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
                              then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this show.
                              (We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes engaging
                              characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...
                              .oO("The Intenret isn't working" )
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                                >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                                > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
                                > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen. I'll give it
                                > > another episode or two and if nothing moves forward I'll drop it.
                                >
                                >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
                                >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this show.
                                >(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes engaging
                                >characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

                                I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I just
                                don't find them terribly interesting. The series feels like a suspense
                                novel, which means that I pretty much already know what's going to happen,
                                but, like most suspense novels, they'll drag it out as long as possible.
                                It's never been my favorite format...and monomanias always strike me as
                                forced.

                                Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
                                everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too long
                                to do anything.

                              • Adam Jones
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                                  (Marked [OT], since the show is entirely yuri-less (although Nina/Anna
                                  is rather gorgeous... ;) )

                                  On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:33:07 -0400, "Erica Friedman"
                                  <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
                                  >From: Adam Jones <adam@...>

                                  > > > Been watching Monster on Adam's recommendation...I'm at ep. 9, but
                                  > > > don't yet feel like I care what's going to happen.

                                  > >I really liked that episode, actually. If it's not your cup of tea,
                                  > >then I suspect that we're going to end up disagreeing about this
                                  > >show.(We always have had rather divergent views on what constitutes
                                  > >engaging characterisation in anime series, haven't we?) Oh well...

                                  > I don't have a problem with the way the characters are written - I
                                  > just don't find them terribly interesting.

                                  I was rather different there, then. In fact, one of the things I like
                                  about it is the way that it takes so much care over even the incidental
                                  characters. Everyone has a story to tell.

                                  > The series feels like a suspense novel, which means that I pretty much
                                  > already know what's going to happen, but, like most suspense novels,
                                  > they'll drag it out as long as possible.

                                  It is long, yes, but to my mind it never really feels particularly
                                  padded - there's a lot of detail in the manga, and they're clearly being
                                  very faithful to it. (That said, the manga might well be a better
                                  investment time-wise, since it's much easier to finish it at your own
                                  pace.)

                                  > Bottom line is - I just don't care much if Johan, and/or Nina, kill
                                  > everyone. The only character I like is Junge, and he's taking way too
                                  > long to do anything.

                                  Lunge's fun (in a creepy sort of way). He does get rather a lot of
                                  development later on, but the story certainly doesn't rush to get there.

                                  For once (and it's a rarity for me), I'm finding myself just sitting
                                  back and enjoying the ride. :)
                                  .oO("Big Gay Leo's Big Gay Boatride" )