Re: [Yuricon] Is Maria-sama still lililicious?

  • sean
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
      From: "Jen" <puni@...>

      >3. Assuming a license is forthcoming, and a dub is the
      >natural result, what will they call the Virgin?
      >Westerners call her "Mary", and Japan call her "Maria."
      >Will the dub cast say "Mary", thus renaming the series
      >'MaryMite' and so on? If they localise that name, will
      >they localise others? Will Sachiko become Sarah, Yumi
      >become Bluto, etc? How will they justify renaming some
      >characters but not others?

      If Yumi is Bluto, then Sei must be Popeye, thus leading to yaoi slash and yuri slash AT THE SAME TIME! Plus it shows that the energy drink Sei gave Yumi in Haru Episode 3 was actually Spinach.

      --SG
      --but I'm feeling MUCH better now...

      Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.centragarden.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
        >From: "Jen" <puni@...>
        >Just a couple of MariMite-related questions:
        >
        >1. Is the 2nd series being fansubbed by Lililicopus

        No. Ayu is doing season two, for various reasons. If you check the group
        archive, the Lililicious leader has detailed these reasons.

        (The group archive is located on the group home page on Y!groups:

        >3. Assuming a license is forthcoming, and a dub is the
        >natural result, what will they call the Virgin?
        >Westerners call her "Mary", and Japan call her "Maria."
        >Will the dub cast say "Mary", thus renaming the series
        >'MaryMite' and so on? If they localise that name, will
        >they localise others? Will Sachiko become Sarah, Yumi
        >become Bluto, etc? How will they justify renaming some
        >characters but not others?

        I wouldn't *assume* a license, but if there is one, I don't expect to see
        the characters' names changed. They tend to do that specifically for anime
        that is targeted to a TV release here, on the assumption that the audience
        is elemtnary school aged and will not be comfortable with names like
        Jouonuchi. :-)

        Sunce this series is exceptionally unlikely to ever get a TV release,
        they'll probably stick with mispronounciations of the right names:
        Sa-CHEE-ko and Yoo-mee

        I imagne that Maria-sama will mostly likely (and this of course assumes that
        the translators have a single collective brain cell) will be called Mary.
        Perhaps if they have more than one brain cell, it might even become "Blessed
        Virgin Mary". (We call her "BVM" around my house.)

        Of course, I cringe with anticipated horror at the mess the translators will
        make of the honorifics and the souer system. Since titles, n general tend to
        be ignored, everytime Yumi says, "Rosa Gigantea!" we will likely (for not
        good reason that I have ever been able to figure out) will see "Sei!" and
        not "Sei-sama", either.

        I can only shudder at the thought of what they will do when someone is
        referred to as "-sama." <sob> "Lady Sei"? oh...gods....it's going to be
        awful! We must stop them NOW!

        >4. I was happy to go with anime-station's fansub of
        >ROD TV because they knew some ROD background, allowing
        >them to spell certain background character's names
        >correctly, while those less fluent misspelled. Before
        >I download hundreds of megabytes of MaryMite goodness,
        >can someone be nice n' tell me who's doing the best
        >fansub of season 2 thus far?

        The only sub is by Ayu, so the choice is easy. :-)

        Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to �Dig Yourself Out of Debt� from MSN
        Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx
      • Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
          On Jul 23, 2004, at 11:51 AM, Erica Friedman wrote:
          > Since this series is exceptionally unlikely to ever get a TV release,
          > they'll probably stick with mispronounciations of the right names:
          > Sa-CHEE-ko and Yoo-mee.

          Eww. I already don't like the dub. ;)

          > I imagne that Maria-sama will mostly likely (and this of course
          > assumes that
          > the translators have a single collective brain cell) will be called
          > Mary.
          > Perhaps if they have more than one brain cell, it might even become
          > "Blessed
          > Virgin Mary". (We call her "BVM" around my house.)

          Well, I can't imagine they'd use "The Virgin Mary is Watching You".
          That's a little creepy and awkward I think. I wouldn't be surprised if
          they eschewed the Virgin Mary in the title altogether, and we ended up
          with something boring like "(The Girls of) Lillian Academy". I can see
          using the contracted nickname, Marimite, as a title like RightStuf
          and TokyoPop did with Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (Kare Kano). I guess it
          depends on who licenses it.

          > Of course, I cringe with anticipated horror at the mess the
          > translators will
          > make of the honorifics and the souer system. Since titles, n general
          > tend to
          > be ignored, everytime Yumi says, "Rosa Gigantea!" we will likely (for
          > not
          > good reason that I have ever been able to figure out) will see "Sei!"
          > and
          > not "Sei-sama", either.

          Depends on who licenses it, again. If, it's as we suspect, Geneon, then
          there might some cause for concern, if ROD the TV is any indication. If
          it's somebody else, they might not mess with it as badly.

          > I can only shudder at the thought of what they will do when someone is
          > referred to as "-sama." <sob> "Lady Sei"? oh...gods....it's going to be
          > awful! We must stop them NOW!

          Yeah, that doesn't work. Whatever happened to the idea that if a word
          doesn't translate well in to English, you leave it in its original
          language?

          -==-
          Serge
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
            >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

            > > I imagne that Maria-sama will mostly likely (and this of course
            > > assumes that
            > > the translators have a single collective brain cell) will be called
            > > Mary.
            > > Perhaps if they have more than one brain cell, it might even become
            > > "Blessed
            > > Virgin Mary". (We call her "BVM" around my house.)
            >
            >Well, I can't imagine they'd use "The Virgin Mary is Watching You".
            >That's a little creepy and awkward I think. I wouldn't be surprised if
            >they eschewed the Virgin Mary in the title altogether, and we ended up
            >with something boring like "(The Girls of) Lillian Academy". I can see
            >using the contracted nickname, Marimite, as a title like RightStuf
            >and TokyoPop did with Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (Kare Kano). I guess it
            >depends on who licenses it.

            True enough, although I quite like, "The Virgin Mary watches over you" which
            isn;t an exact translation by any means, but it gets the idea across without
            the creepiness.
            No doubt you are right, however and the brains behind "Burst Angel" will
            call it "The Roses in Mary's Garden" or something else totally bizarre.

            >Depends on who licenses it, again. If, it's as we suspect, Geneon, then
            >there might some cause for concern, if ROD the TV is any indication. If
            >it's somebody else, they might not mess with it as badly.

            I don't know...most of the other companies just seem to ignore them
            altogether. I can't think of any company that jut translates them as is.

            > > I can only shudder at the thought of what they will do when someone is
            > > referred to as "-sama." <sob> "Lady Sei"? oh...gods....it's going to be
            > > awful! We must stop them NOW!
            >
            >Yeah, that doesn't work. Whatever happened to the idea that if a word
            >doesn't translate well in to English, you leave it in its original
            >language?

            It has never occurred to any of the companies. See, "Lady Utena" for
            "Utena-sama and "Anthy!" where Utena screams "Himemiya!"

            I *know* how ard translation is...I just don't understand why it's not
            getting better, as the companies get bigger. One of the reasons I left the
            honorifics alone, untranslated, in "Rica" and "WORKS," is because the
            stories just make better sense that way.

            I am working on a flyer for Yuricon 2005 and ALC as a handout at Otakon.
            Flyers are hard....

          • atua101
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
              > True enough, although I quite like, "The Virgin Mary watches over
              you" which
              > isn;t an exact translation by any means, but it gets the idea across
              without
              > the creepiness.
              > No doubt you are right, however and the brains behind "Burst Angel"
              will
              > call it "The Roses in Mary's Garden" or something else totally
              bizarre.

              Another translation that I've seen floating around is "Our lady
              watches over us", which I admit is a very figurative translation but
              one that I'm rather fond of.

              > >Depends on who licenses it, again. If, it's as we suspect, Geneon,
              then
              > >there might some cause for concern, if ROD the TV is any
              indication. If
              > >it's somebody else, they might not mess with it as badly.

              But isn't Geneon one of the sponsors for the show, in which case
              Geneon USA will almost certainly get the licence. I find it hard to
              imagine that Geneon will let someone other than Geneon USA license it
              in the States, especially considering the shows popularity in Japan.

              ~atua
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
                On Jul 23, 2004, at 3:57 PM, atua101 wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
                > wrote:
                >> True enough, although I quite like, "The Virgin Mary watches over
                > you" which
                >> isn;t an exact translation by any means, but it gets the idea across
                > without
                >> the creepiness.
                >> No doubt you are right, however and the brains behind "Burst Angel"
                > will
                >> call it "The Roses in Mary's Garden" or something else totally
                > bizarre.
                >
                > Another translation that I've seen floating around is "Our lady
                > watches over us", which I admit is a very figurative translation but
                > one that I'm rather fond of.

                Too long for the ADD afflicted kids. :)

                >>> Depends on who licenses it, again. If, it's as we suspect, Geneon,
                > then
                >>> there might some cause for concern, if ROD the TV is any
                > indication. If
                >>> it's somebody else, they might not mess with it as badly.
                >
                > But isn't Geneon one of the sponsors for the show, in which case
                > Geneon USA will almost certainly get the licence. I find it hard to
                > imagine that Geneon will let someone other than Geneon USA license it
                > in the States, especially considering the shows popularity in Japan.

                Well, until an official announcement is made, it's still just
                speculation. I agree with you, I can't imagine Geneon passing on it,
                but until they say they have it, they don't. I'm not sure of how the
                process works, but if ADV offered Geneon a crazy, stupid amount of
                money to license MariMite, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to let
                ADV have it.

                -==-
                Serge
              • KathrynDarkStar@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
                  >>Since this series is exceptionally unlikely to ever get a TV release,
                  >>they'll probably stick with mispronounciations of the right names:
                  >>Sa-CHEE-ko and Yoo-mee

                  o.o; You mean that's NOT the way to pronounce them?! -_- Oh God. I feel stupid now.

                  >>I can only shudder at the thought of what they will do when someone is
                  >>referred to as "-sama." <sob> "Lady Sei"? oh...gods....it's going to be
                  >>awful! We must stop them NOW!

                  o_o -Grabs her level 19 Silence Bahktans +1 and her level 17 armor- Let me take care of them. I'm a high-level thief, and my Linkshell kicks MAJOR ass. Woohoo for the Epitaph of Twilight!! ^_^ Happy Summerfest all you FFXI geeks!

                  -Kat aka Shizukesa(The Final Fantasy XI nerd)

                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 9, 2004
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@i...> wrote:
                    > Just a couple of MariMite-related questions:

                    Isn't it amazing what you find on the web by sheer accident?
                    Brightens up an otherwise pedestrian morning.

                    http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/puni/Yuri/Maria/MGM-Fallingdown.jpg

                    The Interweb. Not just for porn anymore. ^_^

                    Kisses XXOOXX
                    Jen