Baku-Ten 12/13 and Prediction (minor spoiler)

  • donnaneely
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2004
      Well maybe I am not so disappointed this was licensed.

      Again they dropped another 2 part-er into the quagmire of
      plotlessness. They keep alluding to some greater Evil, but frankly,
      they would have had a FAR better series if they were developing the
      battle between our Angels and the greater Evil this entire 13
      episodes. As it is, it is vignettes of titillation. Albeit notable
      titillation. Well maybe not as good as Tenjou Tenge (which i am still
      watching)

      Also, call me crazy, but these two episode had a distinctly different
      character animator or they decided to up the Fan Service
      considerably. What went from unrealistic breasts on two characters,
      shifted to ungodly ridiculous breasts, on two characters, and even
      breasts and nipples on Jo who has been flat chested to date. And
      everyone over ten had cleavage. I am surprised they left Ami out of
      the goods. So to speak. You know for Serges lolicon friends <smirk>

      And more knee jerk homophobia, after our new girl Takane delivers Meg
      to Jo to repay a debt, they have her swooning and blushing over the
      mechanic who works on Jango (!!!!) the MECHANIC is getting a larger
      role???? Now the only reason for this is to put an adult male in the
      picture for male viewers to identify with further, because he
      certainly didnt advance the plot- lol. Also the girl gang members
      that were allowed lines had to talk about boyfriend troubles. So the
      only female who has not been shown to be het by circumstancial (Sei
      for instance) assumption or commentary (Meg,Takane, Amy,etc) is Jo.

      The delivery of Meg to Jo by Takane to repay a debt almost puts an
      exclamation point on the Meg/Jo being a couple of sorts. In the Yuri
      gogglie kind of way. Also because 13 episodes in we have a new
      character immediately recognizing and honoring the bond between them.
      My vote right now is to include them on the List even if they dont do
      anything clearly Yuri. Heck if the girls from Kimagure Orange Rd and
      Gundam Wing can be there, then doggone it Jo and Meg ought to be.

      Prediction for the Licensed remainder. Nothing truly yuri will ever
      come of Jo and Meg, there never will be an overarching plot, the fan
      service will grow more discomforting, and all the tough girls will
      have to prove they are straight. Except Jo who is just disinterested.
      I see her as Shane from the old movie. All tough and solitary and a
      killer who protects women and children. But never has any interest in
      love.

      regards,

      donnaneely
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2004
        On Jul 4, 2004, at 6:57 PM, donnaneely wrote:

        > Well maybe I am not so disappointed this was licensed.
        >
        > Again they dropped another 2 part-er into the quagmire of
        > plotlessness. They keep alluding to some greater Evil, but frankly,
        > they would have had a FAR better series if they were developing the
        > battle between our Angels and the greater Evil this entire 13
        > episodes. As it is, it is vignettes of titillation. Albeit notable
        > titillation. Well maybe not as good as Tenjou Tenge (which i am still
        > watching)

        Yeah, I hear you. This could be a much better series than it is, I'm
        guessing the writers who worked on Last Exile took this series off.

        > Also, call me crazy, but these two episode had a distinctly different
        > character animator or they decided to up the Fan Service
        > considerably.

        You're not crazy. Everybody was noticeably off-model in this episode
        and the ambient temperature in Osaka apparently dropped 10 degrees
        between episode 12 and 13. I wonder if the all the budget went to the
        CG for this episode. Which, now that I think about it, is not
        unprecedented for Gonzo. Toward the end of Hellsing, the animation got
        weaker and the characters were off model noticeably, so that may be
        happening here. Why? I don't know, but it's probably a money thing,
        usually is.

        > I am surprised they left Ami out of
        > the goods. So to speak. You know for Serges lolicon friends <smirk>

        Just because we happen to be of the same gender doesn't make them my
        friends. -_- It's like the creepy guy at the far end of your favorite
        bar, everybody knows him and his business, but nobody claims him as a
        friend.

        > And more knee jerk homophobia, after our new girl Takane delivers Meg
        > to Jo to repay a debt, they have her swooning and blushing over the
        > mechanic who works on Jango (!!!!) the MECHANIC is getting a larger
        > role????

        Yeah, that came out of left field there, it seems. Must have let the
        interns work on this episode, cause it certainly seemed that way.

        > Now the only reason for this is to put an adult male in the
        > picture for male viewers to identify with further, because he
        > certainly didnt advance the plot- lol.

        Actually, he was a convenient plot device as he had drive the truck
        down so Meg could get captured again. And he had to fix Jango after Jo
        broke it again, and add the wings she requests, so they could have
        those aerial fight scenes. And just for the hell of it, let's make him
        seem cool, by mowing down some bad guys and impressing Takane, because
        if tough chicks think you're cool, then you're money, baby. See it all
        makes sense, now. ;)

        > The delivery of Meg to Jo by Takane to repay a debt almost puts an
        > exclamation point on the Meg/Jo being a couple of sorts. In the Yuri
        > gogglie kind of way. Also because 13 episodes in we have a new
        > character immediately recognizing and honoring the bond between them.

        I would have preferred Takane delivering Meg to Jo personally, but that
        wasn't going to happen, now, was it?

        > My vote right now is to include them on the List even if they dont do
        > anything clearly Yuri. Heck if the girls from Kimagure Orange Rd and
        > Gundam Wing can be there, then doggone it Jo and Meg ought to be.

        I'll second that motion.

        > Prediction for the Licensed remainder. Nothing truly yuri will ever
        > come of Jo and Meg,

        Unfortunately, you're right on this one.

        > there never will be an overarching plot,

        Well, there won't be a good overarching plot, but it'll probably kick
        in high gear in the last five episodes. My hunch is that RAPT is
        filling in for Genom in this series, and they're holding back on the
        plot to prevent us all from yelling BGC rip-off at the top of our
        lungs.

        > the fan
        > service will grow more discomforting,

        What you're not into the bovine growth hormone induced look? ;)

        > and all the tough girls will
        > have to prove they are straight. Except Jo who is just disinterested.

        So I guess that just leaves Sei. Takane might show up in the
        resolve-the-big-plot arc at the end of the series, but she's the only
        other tough girl that I can think of in this series. Meg lost her tough
        girl membership the second time she got captured, and Amy doesn't
        qualify yet.

        > I see her as Shane from the old movie. All tough and solitary and a
        > killer who protects women and children. But never has any interest in
        > love.

        So I guess at the end of this series as Jo is riding off into the
        sunset inside Jango, Meg will be calling out to her, "Jo! Come back,
        Jo!" ;)

        -==-
        Serge
      • mellowrg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2004
          Takane likes older man. She likes hot blooded justice. It's been
          established since episode 12

          You have no right to be bitter

          On another note, Jo will end up with no one since this is a shounen
          action series. .

          At the very least, both Meg and cook-boy (who will NEVER become a
          main character) will be swooning over her by the end of the series,
          but Jo being Jo, will just ignore them and go back to her usual
          zombie movie marathon.

          Finally, I think Jo takes care of Meg to redeem herself. Perhaps she
          killed Meg's family in past
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
            On Jul 5, 2004, at 12:44 AM, mellowrg wrote:

            > Takane likes older man. She likes hot blooded justice. It's been
            > established since episode 12

            (Lifts goggles on second viewing) Oh, yeah. How about that. Must have
            missed it the first time. Also noticed the off modeling start up in the
            second half of this episode.

            > You have no right to be bitter

            Whoa. Harsh realm. ;)

            > On another note, Jo will end up with no one since this is a shounen
            > action series. .

            I don't think the label shonen really means as much as it used to.
            Noir, Madlax, ROD TV, I think are considered shonen action series, as
            well, and we've taken the three of those to heart here.

            > At the very least, both Meg and cook-boy (who will NEVER become a
            > main character) will be swooning over her by the end of the series,
            > but Jo being Jo, will just ignore them and go back to her usual
            > zombie movie marathon.

            Which will leave it open-ended enough for you to interpret anyway you
            want. And that meets the minimum system requirements for the goggles.
            ;)

            > Finally, I think Jo takes care of Meg to redeem herself. Perhaps she
            > killed Meg's family in past

            That would be cool. ;)

            -==-
            Serge
          • donnaneely
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
              mellowrg , you sure you didnt mean to put a "You idiot" somewhere in
              this reply????

              herewith consider me "schooled". <chuckling> donnaneely