OT Re: Useful Knowledge

  • donnaneely
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2004
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, sean@c... wrote:
      > How To Say "I am a Lesbian" in lots of languages:

      And in some of the locations, right after succesfully reciting this
      statement - you will be jailed. lol. Be sure to learn - "i need a
      lawyer" "But really I am an American Citizen" and such other
      important jail terms.

      donnaneely
    • Trishane Lee
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2004
        Such as "no I won't be your currency!" or "I am at least worth four packs!"

        J/K
         Anyways you should be careful what you say where. But me and my friend found it highly amusing though I think some of them are.... not proper. I would have to get out my latin books to check *sighs* Too much effort.

        Shane
        donnaneely <donnaneely@...> wrote:
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, sean@c... wrote:
        > How To Say "I am a Lesbian" in lots of languages:

        And in some of the locations, right after succesfully reciting this
        statement - you will be jailed. lol. Be sure to learn - "i need a
        lawyer" "But really I am an American Citizen" and such other
        important jail terms.

        donnaneely

        Do you Yahoo!?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2004
          >From: sean@...

          >Japanese: Watashi wa rezu yo.

          Japanese lesbians there seem to use "bian", rather than the more perjorative
          "rezu."

          I refuse to comment on the Klingon.

        • what is a dooky
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
            > Tagalog: Tomboy ako.

            Heehee ^_^

            Isn't it interesting that most of those languages use a derivation of
            the word "lesbian" rather than having their own words? I wonder if
            this is just a modern thing... There is a proper Japanese word
            meaning lesbian, "joseidoseiaishita"... a slightly ungainly compount
            that literally means "woman who loves the same sex". Now it's largely
            replaced, at least in colloquial language, with an abbreviation of
            the English term.

            Ooh, I could write an essay on this. Probably won't though.

            And being almost-Welsh, I'm quite proud that the Welsh have their own
            word for lesbian ^_^

            dooky
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "what is a dooky" <spookydooky@h...>
              wrote:
              > There is a proper Japanese word
              > meaning lesbian, "joseidoseiaishita"... a slightly ungainly compount
              > that literally means "woman who loves the same sex".

              I see "onna doushi" used still, quite often, but more for women who
              happen to be having sex with other women, as opposed to "lesbian."

            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
                On Jul 3, 2004, at 6:48 PM, sean@... wrote:

                > How To Say "I am a Lesbian" in lots of languages:

                <snip>

                Feeling a little geeky, I went on an etymological hunt, through Google,
                and found that, were you to jaunt through time, prior to 1890 you'd
                probably be answered with a quizzical "You don't look Greek" or more
                skeptical and wary stares as the person you announced this to
                contemplated how you could be a greek wine or a mason's rule.

                -==-
                Serge
              • barahime@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 5, 2004
                  --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:
                  > On Jul 3, 2004, at 6:48 PM, sean@...
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > Feeling a little geeky, I went on an etymological
                  > hunt, through Google,
                  > and found that, were you to jaunt through time,
                  > prior to 1890 you'd
                  > probably be answered with a quizzical "You don't
                  > look Greek" or more
                  > skeptical and wary stares as the person you
                  > announced this to
                  > contemplated how you could be a greek wine or a
                  > mason's rule.

                  Ohohoho. This cracked me up like you wouldn't believe
                  - probably because I'm not only Greek, but have family
                  who hail from Lesbos - I used to tell people that I
                  was a quarter Lesbian to enjoy their reactions :D So,
                  for posterity, what is this mason's rule of which you
                  speak?

                  ~Nanchan

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • unclero@lycos.nl
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                    > Dutch: Ik ben lesbies.

                    No, it's supposed to be: "Ik ben lesbisch"
                    African may be a Dutch dialect but it still has large differences ;)

                    Ro'
                  • Chalcahuite
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                      On Jul 6, 2004, at 12:23 AM, barahime@... wrote:
                      > So,
                      > for posterity, what is this mason's rule of which you
                      > speak?

                      Well, a quick Google search tells me that the mason's rule they are
                      referring to is a 6 foot ruler, broken into folding sections, with a
                      couple of different scales on it, as opposed to Mason's rule, which is
                      an equation for determining input/output transfer functions, I think. I
                      don't really understand what I'm looking at, other than it's reminds me
                      of calculus. So there you have it.

                      -==-
                      Serge
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                        > On Jul 6, 2004, at 12:23 AM, barahime@y... wrote:

                        > Well, a quick Google search tells me that the mason's rule they are
                        > referring to is a 6 foot ruler, broken into folding sections, with a
                        > couple of different scales on it,

                        My Dad (who is not, and never has been, a Mason and yes - I'm sure)
                        had one of those- I thought it was the coolest toy, as a kid. :-)

                        (He was a Knight of Pythias, though)
                      • Chalcahuite
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                          On Jul 6, 2004, at 12:50 PM, atheniag wrote:

                          > My Dad (who is not, and never has been, a Mason and yes - I'm sure)
                          > had one of those- I thought it was the coolest toy, as a kid. :-)

                          There goes another one of those wavelength things. When I saw the
                          picture of the rule on a tools website, I knew I had seen it before. It
                          wasn't my dad who had it, it was my grandfather-in-law, and I thought
                          it was cool too. So there's another one of the "wavelength" things for
                          you.

                          -==-
                          Serge
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 6, 2004
                            >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                            >There goes another one of those wavelength things. When I saw the
                            >picture of the rule on a tools website, I knew I had seen it before. It
                            >wasn't my dad who had it, it was my grandfather-in-law, and I thought
                            >it was cool too. So there's another one of the "wavelength" things for
                            >you.

                            My life is completely ruled by the twin gods Serendipity and Synchronicity,
                            without whom I would not be here today. :-